Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8?

I am getting my first Mustang after a long time of dreaming about it. Sooo excited!!

I am debating between getting the V6 premium with the leather seats and some other upgrades, or the GT but without the upgrades. I am feeling more inclined to getting the V6 but everybody keeps telling me I should get the V8. I don't want to regret my decision later on. I understand there are 100 hp difference but how much of that can you really enjoy when the speed limits are low... Plus i would be paying more on gas (lower MPG, and premium gas) . So, I feel like instead of paying the extra $ for cool upgrades, I would be paying for extra HP that I might not be able to enjoy, and would make the car fuel more expensive?
ylmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylmva View Post
I am getting my first Mustang after a long time of dreaming about it. Sooo excited!!

I am debating between getting the V6 premium with the leather seats and some other upgrades, or the GT but without the upgrades. I am feeling more inclined to getting the V6 but everybody keeps telling me I should get the V8. I don't want to regret my decision later on. I understand there are 100 hp difference but how much of that can you really enjoy when the speed limits are low... Plus i would be paying more on gas (lower MPG, and premium gas) . So, I feel like instead of paying the extra $ for cool upgrades, I would be paying for extra HP that I might not be able to enjoy, and would make the car fuel more expensive?

There's another active thread going on right now with this same question. Opened a can of worms.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Interesting...
keep in mind every time you tell someone you have a mustang.. they will ask
" is it a v8 "
no.. " awwwe"
haha but besides what others think...
Its like when I bought my dirtbike... I got a 125cc and everyone told me to get a 250cc .. after a year I sold my 125 and bought a 250..
.. you don't buy a mustang for the mpg's ...
That being said. sure the v6 is a sweet car and they are way more powerful then the sixxers from the past!
I still think a v8 would put a bigger smile on your face and give you more " pride" in ownership... why settle for less if you could have more...
that's just my opinion.

like I have a GT .. and oh how I wish I owned a cobra
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

I know

the problem is that if you ask any random person, or someone who owns a V8 they are kind of biased. That's why I would like to hear from someone who owns a v6.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Hahaha, of course a cobra would be the whole dream cone true, but I don't have that much money!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I owned a v6 loved the car... sold it bought a v8..
really all depends what you plan to do with the car..
if you plan to mod it for performance then go with the v8
if its just a dd regular car to you then v6 of course...
looks to me like you want the sixxer and just want to hear what you want to hear to justify buying it....
if your questioning it... go with the v6 the v8 may be more then you need
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure how old you are. If you are younger, probably the first thing you should do is contact your insurance agent and find out what a V6 and a GT are going to cost you with decent coverage. That may give you the answer right there before you get too deep into your search.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

go balls deep get a super snake
Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Humm, Insurance, that's right! I haven't given it much tought! that's a good point! thanks!
I'm 40 btw.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

My husband would kill me if I get a super snake, not because of the cost but because of all the speeding tickets...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

oh snap roles are reversed!...
wife wants a super snake.. husband says no....
please tell me how he drives a honda
Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Humm, Insurance, that's right! I haven't given it much tought! that's a good point! thanks!
I'm 40 btw.

If you're a 40 year old woman, I think you're good to go as far as insurance is concerned, as long as you don't have a bunch of tickets or claims, and your husband isn't in his early 20s!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
The only regret I have is not getting an automatic with 3.31 gears. Besides that I'm good with mine
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I bought the 3.7 V6. I was much more impressed with it than I was the 5.0. Especially for the $8,000 difference between the two.

That being said, I also didn't need yet another car that could made 400+whp (with bolt ons).

For the best of both worlds, get the 3.7 V6 with the premium and performance package. It's as fast as the former 4.6 V8 and gets much better MPG and costs less on insurance.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've driven both, I own a 2014 v6 and my friend owns a 2012 v8. Both are awesome cars, but for some reason, I love my v6 so much more. Like you said, can't have complete fun with the v8 with these speed limits so low unless it's highway. But I live in a city with not so many highways.
My v6 has enough power for me to have fun and plus the gas isn't so bad when I have to fill up.
Regardless, I'll always have a smile on my face with my mustang.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #16

Hey GrabberMeBlue, were you taking about the thread on 5.0 mpg in your first reply?
I was just reading that one, and found it very interesting. I currently drive a VW jetta, and I like to rev it up high (4k I think) before shifting, and I leave everybody behind at the light. Though it makes perfect sense to me now, I never put a thought on how that affected the gas consumption. Good to know. I think driving a Mustang is going to be a learning experience.

And btw, I only got a ticket two years ago. The cop got me red handed accelerating after being stuck behind a truck that was driving me crazy! and no, my husband is older. LOL

I think I am going to be fine with the V6. Thanks Ish416, I'll look into the 3.7 option.

Fullyautomatic, I think you are kind of right and what you said actually helps a lot! I think I do want the V6, at least for now, and maybe I'll upgrade in a few years. I am just afraid of how the "awe" response from people or the "a mustang is not a mustang if is not a v8" comment is going to make me feel. How ridiculous is that?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It's the Decision Time, V6 or V8 thread.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know

the problem is that if you ask any random person, or someone who owns a V8 they are kind of biased. That's why I would like to hear from someone who owns a v6.

I do enjoy my V6. I bought it March 2013. Power-wise, it runs circles around my '79 T/A. Late 70s was about the worst time for horsepower. It I want the V8 rumble, I hop in my '95 T/A.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

OP, I have an 11 3.7 and have no regrets. Absolutely love my 3.7. Wasn't interested in spending the 7,500 dollars more for the Gt plus another 4k in mods that I wanted. Put the 4K in my 3.7 and absolutely love it plus saved 7,500
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have the v6, told some old friends I had a stang, first question "what's under the hood?"

Opened the answer with 305hp and 31mpg, I didn't get the "aww" reaction, they responded with "wow, 305hp, obviously not the v8 but that's impressive......can I have a ride?"

hahah, everyone who has ridden with me has been in "awe" of the v6 , and just how well it performs.

I have an automatic, too much city driving and honestly I don't like the ride quality of manuals, so for me the only negative would be that I want more power off the line and shorter shift times.

Sometimes when I hammer it to pass someone, if I'm in first or second gear it'll hit 7K rpm before it shifts and it's just screaming at that point and not pulling as hard anymore. A couple times it's waited so longer to shift that I let off the gas so that it has a break and then shifts. Either way, all my negatives you won't face with a manual. I also bought the car used and I'm learning that the computer actually monitors driving style an adjusts according for best performance, which I think means MPG in this case, so I think that's what I'm dealing with.

Needless to say, that's my opinion, I love my v6 and to resolve the small discrepancies I do have with it, I ordered a Steeda CAI and the Bama X4 tuner so everything will be "fixed" to my liking once my order arrives.

P.s, my V6 sounds like what you would be getting (features vs. brute HP), I have the MCA edition so it has a different grill, side decals, bumper chin, and rims. It was also loaded with the premium package so all leather, lighting etc. and it also was equipped with the comfort package so electric and heated seats for both driver and passenger.

For me, all the features were more important than the extra hp from the v8 models. I feel like I'm in a luxury car every time I'm driving since I have all the gadgets to play with.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What's really to regret? The 3.7's handle like a 2010 Gt. The 3.7's accelerate as fast as a 2010 Gt. The 3.7's look sexy as heck. The 3.7's respond amazing to power mods! No regrets there!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
What's really to regret? The 3.7's handle like a 2010 Gt. The 3.7's accelerate as fast as a 2010 Gt. The 3.7's look sexy as heck. The 3.7's respond amazing to power mods! No regrets there!

+1000
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have a v6 and I love it I only think about the v8 when ppl make fun of me for having a v6 but then I think I have driven both and IMO the v8 is cool but I just would rather spend my money on modding a v6 when I drove the v8 I did not like the feel of how much heavier it was and I felt like I couldent sling it around like I did in my v6 plus I felt like I was going into debit every time I drove it but what I did love was no matter what gear I was in I could punch it and there was no getting up to rpms it would just take off even in third but IMO I think modding a v6 is way better for me I have the power I need at a better price slap a procharger on it and I'm playing with the stock gts plus I like my premium features I wouldent of gotten with a base v8 but I will tell you ppl will make fun of you when you say you have a v6 but they don't realize how much better it has gotten so IMO I would get the v6 get all the premium stuff and then modd it. The only reason I would buy a v8 is for the sound of the engine and to get the haters to stfu but like always if I could afford a premium v8 yes I would get it
walter0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
go balls deep get a super snake

Hahaha I love it!!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
In my experience most of the people who are critical of the V6 either -- don't have a Mustang to begin with, or are GT owners who don't take it to the track anyway so the extra power is really meaningless. So you can get to the next stop light a second quicker for $8,000?

I had a 2006 4.0 with the Xcharger Xtreme. When I was deciding what to order for my 2013 (GT/CS/V8 or the MCA/V6) I had my 2006 at the drag strip for some final passes. Two guys were there with new 5.0's. I made a pass, the Xcharger was screaming, and came in with a 12.6 ET. They came over after I pulled into the pits and said "thought you'd be quicker, we could hear the blower". The hood finished opening and one guy went "ah crap there's only 6 spark plugs" turned to the other guy and said "now I'm impressed and we are getting our a$$ handed to us by a 6". Decided then I could get the GT/CS and have another modified GT (and end up spending another couple thousand on supercharger or turbo) or get a 6 again, put a turbo on it, and have something different from average.

Turbo will be on soon and I will still be under what the GT/CS would have cost me.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on what you really want!.. If you want to go fast, and that's all you care about, then get the GT!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter0711 View Post
I have a v6 and I love it I only think about the v8 when ppl make fun of me for having a v6 but then I think I have driven both and IMO the v8 is cool but I just would rather spend my money on modding a v6 when I drove the v8 I did not like the feel of how much heavier it was and I felt like I couldent sling it around like I did in my v6 plus I felt like I was going into debit every time I drove it but what I did love was no matter what gear I was in I could punch it and there was no getting up to rpms it would just take off even in third but IMO I think modding a v6 is way better for me I have the power I need at a better price slap a procharger on it and I'm playing with the stock gts plus I like my premium features I wouldent of gotten with a base v8 but I will tell you ppl will make fun of you when you say you have a v6 but they don't realize how much better it has gotten so IMO I would get the v6 get all the premium stuff and then modd it. The only reason I would buy a v8 is for the sound of the engine and to get the haters to stfu but like always if I could afford a premium v8 yes I would get it

I completely understand about getting your chops busted by people for getting the V6. My co workers and people always laugh and go really, you got a V6 in a mustang. The disappointment in peoples eyes are hilarious and find it amusing.

I just shake my head and say if you only had a clue. Lol. Fortunate for me, I'm not weak minded and allow people to dictate my decisions. I don't need a Gt, V8 to feel important and feel I'm the man. That's for the weak minded, highly influenced people. I think its hilarious when V6 owners put Gt badges and emblems on their V6 so it makes them feel cool and important.

Good thing I'm not out to impress the world or my co workers. I only need to impress myself! I have pride in my ride and has nothing to do with the engine size.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I completely understand about getting your chops busted by people for getting the V6. My co workers and people always laugh and go really, you got a V6 in a mustang. The disappointment in peoples eyes are hilarious and find it amusing.

I just shake my head and say if you only had a clue. Lol. Fortunate for me, I'm not weak minded and allow people to dictate my decisions. I don't need a Gt, V8 to feel important and feel I'm the man. That's for the weak minded, highly influenced people. I think its hilarious when V6 owners put Gt badges and emblems on their V6 so it makes them feel cool and important.

Good thing I'm not out to impress the world or my co workers. I only need to impress myself! I have pride in my ride and has nothing to do with the engine size.

I agree 100%. I never let people dictate my decisions either. I'm happy to be driving a very impressive by what the V6 Mustang offers. I'm very proud of my 3.7 V6 Mustang!
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #29
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
If my first mustang was a 5 speed GT instead of a v6 I'd honestly still have it.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post

I agree 100%. I never let people dictate my decisions either. I'm happy to be driving a very impressive by what the V6 Mustang offers. I'm very proud of my 3.7 V6 Mustang!
Totally right. Come on fellas. Let's have pride in our 3.7 rides. No need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. We have the most awesome v6 model mustang ever manufactured to date. We have the 2010 and under Gt owners secretly envious and upset the V6 is as fast as their big V8's and for thousands less paid.

The size of the engine in a mustang does not solely make it awesome. Its the owner behind the mustang that makes it awesome and unique regardless of the engine size!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

make a thread in the v8 section and ask ...
Has anyone regretted getting a v8 instead of a v6
Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
make a thread in the v8 section and ask ...
Has anyone regretted getting a v8 instead of a v6

Lol. +11
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Totally right. Come on fellas. Let's have pride in our 3.7 rides. No need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. We have the most awesome v6 model mustang ever manufactured to date. We have the 2010 and under Gt owners secretly envious and upset the V6 is as fast as their big V8's and for thousands less paid.

The size of the engine in a mustang does not solely make it awesome. Its the owner behind the mustang that makes it awesome and unique regardless of the engine size!

Lol. I have a '04 GT and a '06 GT, I am not secretly envious of the new V6!.. I'm happy Ford has such a cool little motor like it, but I love both my cars because they are mine!.. Just saying
Old 04-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

one is a DD and the other is a Mustang
Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post

Lol. I have a '04 GT and a '06 GT, I am not secretly envious of the new V6!.. I'm happy Ford has such a cool little motor like it, but I love both my cars because they are mine!.. Just saying
Lol. I should of said numerous 10 and under Gt owners. Ha ha ha. Numerous but not you specifically. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang