Need Help HID Fogs - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
So, here are my final findings on the 35 vs. 55 watt HID kits being used in fog lights. It is a crap shoot to use a 55 watt HID kit for fog lights because they definitely get hotter than a 35 watt HID kit as well as the 55W halogens that come factory in the V6's fog lights.

Whether you run a 3000K or 12000K bulb, the heat from the bulbs should remain about the same if you are running both on the same wattage ballast. The Kelvin temperature just determines what color the gases in the lights burn.

So... I plan to run a 35 watt kit for the fog lights since, without testing, I cannot tell if the 55 watt HID kit will burn hotter than the fog light housings are meant to handle. I have a 55 watt kit for another vehicle of mine laying around in my toolbox, so if someone has a spare fog light housing from a newer Mustang that they would like to donate to the cause, I would be willing to set up a longevity test and see if the housing will melt or not.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
SLCKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCKV6 View Post
So, here are my final findings on the 35 vs. 55 watt HID kits being used in fog lights. It is a crap shoot to use a 55 watt HID kit for fog lights because they definitely get hotter than a 35 watt HID kit as well as the 55W halogens that come factory in the V6's fog lights.

Whether you run a 3000K or 12000K bulb, the heat from the bulbs should remain about the same if you are running both on the same wattage ballast. The Kelvin temperature just determines what color the gases in the lights burn.

So... I plan to run a 35 watt kit for the fog lights since, without testing, I cannot tell if the 55 watt HID kit will burn hotter than the fog light housings are meant to handle. I have a 55 watt kit for another vehicle of mine laying around in my toolbox, so if someone has a spare fog light housing from a newer Mustang that they would like to donate to the cause, I would be willing to set up a longevity test and see if the housing will melt or not.
Great info! So if I already have 55watt 3k halogens from factory, then I should be fine with 55watt halogens but at 5k replacements. From the findings that I gathered 3k,5k etc only changes the color but really couldn't find anything about the heat. Thanks again.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Just read a little more info on the hids. http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...-halogen-bulbs

One of the guys make a good point that hids are not necessarily hotter but the bulbs are generally longer and end up being to close to the lens causing them to melt. I'm just throwing this out there with no proof but I'm guessing this is why if you put a hid in the OEM fog casings they will melt as an aftermarket housing has more clearance for the hid bulbs.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
The 35 watt kits are plug and play. You do not need anything else other than some outdoor 3M double sided tape (gray tape with red plastic backing) and some zip ties.

Sometimes you need to use the wiring harness with the 55 watt kits for the initial amperage draw, but I've only needed to use the harness on older vehicles.

Awesome thanks for the info. Appreciate it, will add this to the mod list. Dont like the ugly yellowish of the halogen fogs compared to the factory HID headlights.

Bat
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Never put hid bulbs into your stock halogen factory headlights eventually they will melt the lenses around the bulb. HIDS produce more heat then halogen bulbs. If you want hids in your headlight housing that didnt come with hids to begin with then you have to buy 2013 or newer mustang headlight housings. All 2013 and newer mustangs I believe all use hid lights. Hid lights need metal housing and glass lenses to keep the hid from burning out the lense or housing. Also if you put hid bulbs inside a halogen made headlight you will have bad to horrible glare and sometimes scattered little rainbow star looking effects mixed in with the hid light. I will find a pic in a day or two to further show you what i mean. Also 55watt hid kits will last about half as long as 35 watt hid kits so thats another reason why not to get 55watt hid bulbs not to mention they are not that much brighter then the 35 watt hid bulbs.

DDM have decent to good hid bulbs but there ballasts they use are absolute s**t. If you buy a full hid kit for $75 or less including the ballast you get what you pay for. The ballast will burn out quick. In my case 6-8 months before my first DDM ballast went out not to mention the hid light would flicker. You want digital ballasts with your hid bulbs.

5k-6k is the sweet spot if you want some blue but still a good amount of light output. Anymore then 6k and the light output goes down and you are basically just getting the bulb for the color it puts out. 4300k-4600k is the brightest hid bulb available and puts out a bright white color. 5k is a little bit of blue mixed in kind of like the cool blue color from sylvania headlight bulbs.

I have always used relay kits attached to my hids to help them last longer as they get steady flow of power directly from your battery instead of tapping into another power source aka splicing into your headlight wires etc. Also relay kits solve any flickering problems you may get from hid bulbs.

kpcarstuff.com has real good long lasting hid kits
H13 Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits
or the one i have bought
H13 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits

the difference in the two is slighty different ballasts and the more expensive one has the relay harnesses included with it. Also the option that says low beam only or bi xenon. Bi xenon means your hid bulb will have low beam and hi beam functions like your stock halogen bulbs do. So this obviously will not apply to fog light hid bulbs. Also Fog light hid bulbs will use H11 while the headlights use H13.

another real good hid kit with digital ballast is this one for your headlights:
9008/H13: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

or for your foglights:
H11: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

bi xenon hid kit low and hi beam function hid lights:
9008/H13: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

this link is of a mustang guy who makes the harnesses for hids into a non hid headlight where you dont need to splice into any wires you are just plugging into connectors. You still need the actual 2013+ hid headlight housings which run $500 or more a headlight, but this is the correct way of converting over to hid lights in your headlights which were halogen to begin with.
Web Store - ProjectoRetrofits
Web Store - ProjectoRetrofits
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

willb2305, thank you for your input. BigIsland3.7 had started this thread asking about HIDs for his fog lights, not headlights. He has a 2014, so your points about the headlight housings melting is moot. Is it possible that HIDs can melt plastic housings? Absolutely, but it's also possible that you can have success running HIDs in your vehicle's fog light housings without spending as much or jumping through as many hoops as you are suggesting. I have had personal success with running 55watt 6000K kits in numerous halogen (plastic) headlight housings without issue. In fact, the 55watt DDM kit that I have in my tool box has been installed on 4 vehicles in the passed 4 years and they still work great. The only reason why they are not on my Mustang now, is because it came factory with HIDs. I have never had to replace a ballast or bulb in that time and they have outlasted my friend's 35watt 6000K kit. It just depends on the luck of the draw I suppose, but I have also ordered several other HID kits from DDM for other vehicle of mine and never had an issue with their products, even without digital ballasts. I have never had a flicker or blinded the hell out of someone (adjust your headlights accordingly) and I NEVER had to splice into any wiring.

Depending on the vehicle, you can get away without using an additional wiring harness as I have done, safely, numerous times. Yes you will get a more blurred light in a halogen housing, but it will be minimal and will still work. I cannot justify spending $150 for a HID fog light kit when I have had great success with DDM's products thus far.

It's great that you decided to spend so much on your lights and do things your way, but there is no reason for you to scare so many people away from some simple HID kits that they wish to use in their fog lights because it isn't right in your book. If your way was the only way to have HIDs on your car, then there would be a lot less of aftermarket HIDs out on the roads today.

BigIsland3.7, I apologize for jacking your thread.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Actually, the more information the better. I'm glad alternatives have been mentioned from members like willb2305. I don't think anyone is scared away from anything. It's an open forum, so bring on more info. That's what we all come here for anyway
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Actually, the more information the better. I'm glad alternatives have been mentioned from members like willb2305. I don't think anyone is scared away from anything. It's an open forum, so bring on more info. That's what we all come here for anyway

You are absolutely right MustangDawg. The more information and options, the better. I just took willb2305's post as a "it has to be done this way or not at all." and I apologize if that was not your intention, willb2305. I am here to learn, educate, and help when I can, not argue.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:
willb2305, thank you for your input. BigIsland3.7 had started this thread asking about HIDs for his fog lights, not headlights. He has a 2014, so your points about the headlight housings melting is moot. Is it possible that HIDs can melt plastic housings? Absolutely, but it's also possible that you can have success running HIDs in your vehicle's fog light housings without spending as much or jumping through as many hoops as you are suggesting. I have had personal success with running 55watt 6000K kits in numerous halogen (plastic) headlight housings without issue. In fact, the 55watt DDM kit that I have in my tool box has been installed on 4 vehicles in the passed 4 years and they still work great. The only reason why they are not on my Mustang now, is because it came factory with HIDs. I have never had to replace a ballast or bulb in that time and they have outlasted my friend's 35watt 6000K kit. It just depends on the luck of the draw I suppose, but I have also ordered several other HID kits from DDM for other vehicle of mine and never had an issue with their products, even without digital ballasts. I have never had a flicker or blinded the hell out of someone (adjust your headlights accordingly) and I NEVER had to splice into any wiring.

Depending on the vehicle, you can get away without using an additional wiring harness as I have done, safely, numerous times. Yes you will get a more blurred light in a halogen housing, but it will be minimal and will still work. I cannot justify spending $150 for a HID fog light kit when I have had great success with DDM's products thus far.

It's great that you decided to spend so much on your lights and do things your way, but there is no reason for you to scare so many people away from some simple HID kits that they wish to use in their fog lights because it isn't right in your book. If your way was the only way to have HIDs on your car, then there would be a lot less of aftermarket HIDs out on the roads today.

BigIsland3.7, I apologize for jacking your thread.
haha don't worry about it buddy , a lot of great information in this thread . Someone should make it a sticky for anyone who has HID foglight questions .
Old 05-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

:Update:
I now that this is a Hid fog thread but I just received my halogen 5k bulb replacements and wanted to share a couple of photos/comparisons with y'all. Top photo is the OEM yellowish12v 55watt fog and the bottom is the 5k 12v 55watt bulb. If I had to do it again I might have went with a 6k, but at 5$ for 4 I might just order them lol. Its not a night and day difference but is better IMO.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399671189577.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	156397   Click image for larger version

Name:	1399671202993.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	156398  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang