Need Help HID Fogs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Need Help HID Fogs

I've been thinking about changing my stock fogs on my Stang . What kits are out there for my particular car ?. Yellow ?, or should I go for a 4-5k?. mahalo !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Need Help HID Fogs

I have HID fogs, easy to do. I went on Amazon, purchased an HID kit and had no problems. I had 8k bulbs, IMO waste of money, too blue and not very bright. Now I have 6k bulbs and love them! Install takes a hour or so, anyone can do it!

Heres a pic: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396941719.363926.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	153233Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396941737.809865.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	153234
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Would you be able to tell me the exact kit, because I would love to have it look like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
giogonzalez101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That is nice man and I have the same question my mechanic told me to get the 8k 9004 I have a 1989 Mustang gt what do you prefer because he is really picky I guess but in my opinion any hid would ve fine?

galaxy s4
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Where did you mount the ballast?
Frozen Yettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
I have HID fogs, easy to do. I went on Amazon, purchased an HID kit and had no problems. I had 8k bulbs, IMO waste of money, too blue and not very bright. Now I have 6k bulbs and love them! Install takes a hour or so, anyone can do it!

Heres a pic: Attachment 153233Attachment 153234
those look good I did the same thing way cheaper and if you know what your doing wiring is easy
they look really good by the way
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giogonzalez101 View Post
Would you be able to tell me the exact kit, because I would love to have it look like that.

I believe these are trhe same ones, its the same kit on the cs/gt
the only thing with this kit is you have to splice into other wires unless your v6 already has the foglight switch
http://www.amazon.com/2013-2014-Must...ang+fog+lights
Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Need Help HID Fogs

Or you can get this kit that has the switch with it..

http://www.starkey-products.com/oem-...-boss-302-2013

To the 3.7 i assume the lower level that is a straight line is the hid fogs and the other are the headlights where they are shinning on the cabinet but want to verify. If so those are really nice with no scatter. What HID kit did you put in?
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't think he needs the actually fog light kit if you read the original post he stated he wanted to changing his stock fog lights to HIDs. So you're both giving him links to something he already has lol
Frozen Yettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just buy H11 led bulbs from stangmods.com. Itll be like 150$ cheaper.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I also have 6K HID fog and I absolutely love them, although I think 5K would look really good as well and probably match the headlights and those DRLs a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giogonzalez101 View Post

I got mine from DDM Tuning. They're pretty cheap there but I can't complain about the quality. I put them on my Xterra over 3 years ago and they are still running fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Yettie View Post
Where did you mount the ballast?
I used some 3M tape to mount them on the side of the housing. They've been on since July and haven't come off yet.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Heres a pic: Attachment 153233Attachment 153234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
I also have 6K HID fog and I absolutely love them, although I think 5K would look really good as well and probably match the headlights and those DRLs a little better.

I got mine from DDM Tuning. They're pretty cheap there but I can't complain about the quality. I put them on my Xterra over 3 years ago and they are still running fine.

I used some 3M tape to mount them on the side of the housing. They've been on since July and haven't come off yet.

Did you guys go for the 35 watt or 55 watt kits? I am ordering mine soon, but I have heard horror stories of 55 watt kits melting the fog light housings on multiple vehicles.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
SLCKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Just buy H11 led bulbs from stangmods.com. Itll be like 150$ cheaper.

Did you get them for your Mustang? I ordered a pair of "high powered" CREE H11 LEDs from DDM Tuning (where I also get all of my HID kits from), but they were dimmer than the OE halogen bulbs, even though the wattage matched and the lumens were supposedly way higher. I was really hoping for some bright fogs that matched the same shade of light as the turn signals/running lights, but they didn't do their main purpose of being a fog light, so I think I am going to go with HIDs unless someone can point me to a H11 LED bulb that will be brighter than the OE halogen bulbs and not have than nasty yellowish/brownish tinge like the halogen bulbs have.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I got a Kensun 8000k HID from amazon for $50. I also ordered 6000k bulbs for $15. Relatively cheap and easy to instal
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCKV6 View Post
Did you guys go for the 35 watt or 55 watt kits? I am ordering mine soon, but I have heard horror stories of 55 watt kits melting the fog light housings on multiple vehicles.

Stick with a 35 watt, 55 watt kits will melt the housing
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went with the 35W kit. I've heard too many stories like that as well. And they would almost certainly be too much heat for that small of a housing.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have hid fogs installed also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397037410.118862.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	153356

Found a nice spot to install them:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397037469.301279.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	153357
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Need Help HID Fogs

Quote:
Did you get them for your Mustang? I ordered a pair of "high powered" CREE H11 LEDs from DDM Tuning (where I also get all of my HID kits from), but they were dimmer than the OE halogen bulbs, even though the wattage matched and the lumens were supposedly way higher. I was really hoping for some bright fogs that matched the same shade of light as the turn signals/running lights, but they didn't do their main purpose of being a fog light, so I think I am going to go with HIDs unless someone can point me to a H11 LED bulb that will be brighter than the OE halogen bulbs and not have than nasty yellowish/brownish tinge like the halogen bulbs have.

I havent got them yet but ive seen pics of them and they match the headlights. I hate the yellow too haha. Ill try to figure out what ones for u
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've had a few H11 led bulbs for fogs and while very good with color matching ext...u can't see anything and are useless other than looks. You need HIDs.
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
I have hid fogs installed also.

Attachment 153356

Found a nice spot to install them:
Attachment 153357

Mike that seems like a good match with i assume the factory HIDs.. What color did you choose/ kit?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stick with a 35 watt, 55 watt kits will melt the housing
Quote:
I went with the 35W kit. I've heard too many stories like that as well. And they would almost certainly be too much heat for that small of a housing.
Thanks guys! That's what I was figuring as well. 5000k or 6000k 35 watt kit, here I come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I havent got them yet but ive seen pics of them and they match the headlights. I hate the yellow too haha. Ill try to figure out what ones for u
I appreciate the offer to look for me, but as I thought and was confirmed by Mike2014V6, the bulbs will match the color, but not be a sufficiently bright enough light source for the fog lights to actually work as fog lights as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
I've had a few H11 led bulbs for fogs and while very good with color matching ext...u can't see anything and are useless other than looks. You need HIDs.
Thank you for confirming what I was seeing as well!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I just got off the phone with my dealer because I ordered new 5k lights for my lower fogs and he pulled the light from his stock and said its a 55watt h11 halogen. I stayed with what was originally in the car but at the 5k color temp. He asked for my Vin # because there were a couple different models, but that's exactly what's in my car.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys ! , still deciding on 5k or lower yellow color HID's for the fogs . Any suggestions ?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I just got off the phone with my dealer because I ordered new 5k lights for my lower fogs and he pulled the light from his stock and said its a 55watt h11 halogen. I stayed with what was originally in the car but at the 5k color temp. He asked for my Vin # because there were a couple different models, but that's exactly what's in my car.
Interesting... I do not know a lot about the techy side of lighting, but when I tried to research what temperature a 55W HID bulb would get up to vs. what temperature a 55W Halogen bulb would get up to, I wasn't able to find any definitive answers. I learned that HID lights will put out more lumens per watt than a halogen bulb will, but it also sounded like to me that the halogen bulb gets up to hotter temperatures than the HID bulb. The answer probably depends on the Kelvin of the bulb you go with (ex: A 4300K HID bulb will get up to X degrees Fahrenheit while a 6000K HID bulb will get to an even higher X degrees Fahrenheit if both bulbs are used on the same wattage ballast kit.)

I'm going to look into this more, but I think that I might just play it safe and go with the 5000K 35 watt HID kit in order to try to match the OE HID headlight color. I know for a fact that the 6000k 35 watt HIDs are way too blue in color and the owner's manual doesn't mention what wattage or Kelvin the OE HIDs headlights are.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting... I do not know a lot about the techy side of lighting, but when I tried to research what temperature a 55W HID bulb would get up to vs. what temperature a 55W Halogen bulb would get up to, I wasn't able to find any definitive answers. I learned that HID lights will put out more lumens per watt than a halogen bulb will, but it also sounded like to me that the halogen bulb gets up to hotter temperatures than the HID bulb. The answer probably depends on the Kelvin of the bulb you go with (ex: A 4300K HID bulb will get up to X degrees Fahrenheit while a 6000K HID bulb will get to an even higher X degrees Fahrenheit if both bulbs are used on the same wattage ballast kit.)

I'm going to look into this more, but I think that I might just play it safe and go with the 5000K 35 watt HID kit in order to try to match the OE HID headlight color. I know for a fact that the 6000k 35 watt HIDs are way too blue in color and the owner's manual doesn't mention what wattage or Kelvin the OE HIDs headlights are.
+1, me too because I believe the OEM is ball parking 3k at 55 watts. I wanna make sure the 5k won't get too hot. Please keep me posted on your findings.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIsland3.7 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys ! , still deciding on 5k or lower yellow color HID's for the fogs . Any suggestions ?
I would go with 5k. And if you want to spend the extra money you could upgrade the headlights to 5k as well to match better.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would go with 5k. And if you want to spend the extra money you could upgrade the headlights to 5k as well to match better.
Thanks for your input . I'm just going for looks with the fogs , because the headlights are plenty bright enough for me 👍.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Yettie View Post
I don't think he needs the actually fog light kit if you read the original post he stated he wanted to changing his stock fog lights to HIDs. So you're both giving him links to something he already has lol
Haha yeah...... I knew that!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, me too because I believe the OEM is ball parking 3k at 55 watts. I wanna make sure the 5k won't get too hot. Please keep me posted on your findings.
I'm still researching this, but almost any Kelvin (4500K, 5000K, even 12000K) shouldn't melt your housing as long as you are running a 35watt kit, from what I believe. It's when you go with a 55 watt kit, when the temperature is "turned up" and that ends up melting the housing in the end.

BigIsland3.7, a 35watt 4300K-5000K kit will be close to matching your headlights and giving you more light than your OE halogen bulbs.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm still researching this, but almost any Kelvin (4500K, 5000K, even 12000K) shouldn't melt your housing as long as you are running a 35watt kit, from what I believe. It's when you go with a 55 watt kit, when the temperature is "turned up" and that ends up melting the housing in the end.

BigIsland3.7, a 35watt 4300K-5000K kit will be close to matching your headlights and giving you more light than your OE halogen bulbs.

I'm almost certain any 35watt kit will be fine. Most people don't run anything close to 12000k, so a majority of us will be fine. I ran 8000k bulbs in my fog lights for a month or so, did a lot of night driving, and had no issues with the housing melting. Keep on mind, for those interesting in adding HIDs to their lower fog lights, I recommend 4000k bulbs-6000k bulbs as these are the brightest. After 6000k the brightness starts to diminish.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm almost certain any 35watt kit will be fine. Most people don't run anything close to 12000k, so a majority of us will be fine. I ran 8000k bulbs in my fog lights for a month or so, did a lot of night driving, and had no issues with the housing melting. Keep on mind, for those interesting in adding HIDs to their lower fog lights, I recommend 4000k bulbs-6000k bulbs as these are the brightest. After 6000k the brightness starts to diminish.

What's the rating you need to get closest to match the factory headlights, as i personally dont see a reason to change those.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batdive View Post
What's the rating you need to get closest to match the factory headlights, as i personally dont see a reason to change those.

From what I've read, 4300k are closest to the factory HIDs
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From what I've read, 4300k are closest to the factory HIDs

Thanks appreciate it
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked out DDM tuning, those that have bought from there what options do i need to complete the install?

They have options for hid harness, error correcting, and converter cable.

Is it plug and play or splicing?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batdive View Post
Just checked out DDM tuning, those that have bought from there what options do i need to complete the install?

They have options for hid harness, error correcting, and converter cable.

Is it plug and play or splicing?

The 35 watt kits are plug and play. You do not need anything else other than some outdoor 3M double sided tape (gray tape with red plastic backing) and some zip ties.

Sometimes you need to use the wiring harness with the 55 watt kits for the initial amperage draw, but I've only needed to use the harness on older vehicles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang