Tuner with cold air intake or cat back? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Tuner with cold air intake or cat back?

Hello guys,
I have 2012 manual v6 with Pony package. For now it is completely stock and I'm planning to do some performance mods. Should I get a cat back or a tuner with cold air intake like air raid cai combo? Which one of these would put out more hp and torque?

Also what is the difference between sct, bama and MPT tuners? Which one should I buy? Also is steeda cai better or is air raid cai better?

Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Forget a cat-back system, save a lot of money and just buy a pair of axle-backs.

The new SCT X4 tuner (what loads custom tunes onto your car) looks sweet. Next you'll need custom tunes from either a performance shop or online retailer (Bama, Steeda, Lund, MPT, AED, ect.). I have Bama and Steeda, but prefer Steeda's tune.

I say forget the CAI as well. The stock CAI box on the 2010+ GT/2011+ V6/GT works fine. You're looking at no more than 10 HP for a $300 CAI (the tune is where the power comes from, tunes may get you 10-15 HP or so).
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for your inputs. Axle backs are just meant for sound they won't help increase any horsepower right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Correct just sound
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
Hello guys,
I have 2012 manual v6 with Pony package. For now it is completely stock and I'm planning to do some performance mods. Should I get a cat back or a tuner with cold air intake like air raid cai combo? Which one of these would put out more hp and torque?

Also what is the difference between sct, bama and MPT tuners? Which one should I buy? Also is steeda cai better or is air raid cai better?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
Thank you for your inputs. Axle backs are just meant for sound they won't help increase any horsepower right?

FordMustang12,

I'd stick with an aftermarket axleback over a catback for a better exhaust tone/volume. As others have said, there's no performance gains here for a stock Mustang, so it's wise to save a little cash and use an axleback.

The SCT or Diablosport tuners, simply hold custom tunes written from tuning companies. Bama is one of the most popular tuning companies on the market today and can create custom tunes for your exhaust Mustang, to fit your needs. If you purchase a tuner directly from AM, you'll automatically be enrolled into the Bama Free Tunes for Life program. This provides you 3 free custom tunes right off the bat and free tune updates for any future mods you add down the road.

Lastly, both Airaid and Steeda make killer CAI's. Both are peak performers for sure, so you truly can't go wrong with either. Simply pick whatever CAI you feel looks the best for prefer. I know you'll be happy!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just one bit of FYI, the Steeda CAI requires a tune and the Airaid CAI does not. Just options to consider. I have an Airaid CAI and will be getting a tune down the road. Couldn't do both at the same time, but it's all good
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a ton once again for your replies. Do you guys feel a difference in everyday driving with cai and tune?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Watch this:

Save your money. CAI for the 11+ v6's are a waste. The conclusion of this video was that a CAI and no tune saw a 10-15HP gain, with the obvious result that you are running on the leaner edge of you F/A mixture. The tune only saw an increase of 15-20HP running the correct F/A mixture and more advanced timing. Finally the CAI & Tune saw an increase of 15ish HP running the correct F/A mixture.

What does this all mean? A CAI with no tune gives you more power by leaning out your F/A mixture to the edge of the normal range. This is not ideal for engine life as you are constantly running the engine lean. The Tune only makes more power by advancing timing and some other tidbits, but keeps you at the correct F/A level. The CAI and Tune make the same power as the tune only because you are advancing timing and running a richer mixture to compensate for more air which negates the lean condition of the CAI only.

Hope this makes sense. In conclusion save the $300 and use it on a tune only or axle backs.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Okay this does make sense. So for now I would go for a tune or axle back. Now I'm thinking which one to get first?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You really can't go wrong with either. If you had a V8, sound first would be the obvious answer (IMO). If you're on the fence and not really big into sound like I am, go for the tune. It'll change your world (I'll never get 19 MPG city ever again, currently get 14-15 because it's too much fun).
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
You really can't go wrong with either. If you had a V8, sound first would be the obvious answer (IMO). If you're on the fence and not really big into sound like I am, go for the tune. It'll change your world (I'll never get 19 MPG city ever again, currently get 14-15 because it's too much fun).
I do like sound but currently i am just looking for performance mods. I like performance mods than appearance mods better. I was considering the 3.73s but i think that would get the top speed lower and love driving at high speeds. So i guess i will get a tuner. I also have the K&N mesh type filter installed instead of the original paper filter so i guess il avoid cai for now. I l get the axle back for sure though in sometime.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Let me know if I can help you with any of the items listed above ... we can get you squared away with a nice Steeda tune.

You can reach me a tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I don't completely agree with not getting any gains from an exhaust. Better flow means less strain less strain means the engines works easier. I'm no expert put that sounds like that can improve numbers some where..
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

For one, a common misconception people have about aftermarket mufflers is that they increase horsepower. Today's stock mufflers flow perfectly fine. The only benefit from a set of aftermarket mufflers or a 'muffler delete' is the weight drop (the stock mufflers are pretty heavy).

Of course a cat-back system wouldn't hurt, but it's not a great 'bang for the buck' at all. The only time you're going to see gains from a cat-back system is when you're at the strip/track trying to squeeze out every 0.01 second you can, or if you're no longer NA, the aftermarket pipes will come into play more.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't say significant! Everyone is saying there is no gain, I just voiced my opinion on thinking that is not exactly true.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You have a point.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Get an off road pipe they will increase sound and power lol or long tubes, but just axle back only changes sound/or weight as 2stang stated
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have a point.

That's all I was getting at. I wasn't saying go with it, just it's not exactly true that there is no gain.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangstandard View Post
That's all I was getting at. I wasn't saying go with it, just it's not exactly true that there is no gain.
I meant your first post had a point. I posted for the OP and other users to see.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

10-4 rubber ducky
Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Longtubes with no cats and bullet style mufflers are about the only way to get power from exhaust, it should net you around 15 all together realistically.... Cold Air intakes do nothing for the newer Mustangs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I don't completely agree with not getting any gains from an exhaust. Better flow means less strain less strain means the engines works easier. I'm no expert put that sounds like that can improve numbers some where..
Maybe with headers and an X or H pipe you will see some gains but I think what everyone is referring to is simple an axle back or catback system. And the reason why there is little to no gains is because of how well the factory exhaust flows. At at stock power levels the 2.25 piping flows enough to maximize the power of a fairly stock V6 engine. Now if you were to add a turbo on a car with stock exhaust you would see a lot more significant gains by increasing the pipe diameter o the exhaust because at higher power levels the stock exhaust is a lot more restrictive.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have a another question. If I install 3.73 gears will i still get to 115mph top speed or does it lock at lower speed? Also by how much will the mpg be affected ? I do 48miles highway driving everyday.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The 115 mph 'speed limit' is thanks to Ford's speed governor. The stock computer tune won't let you rev above 115 mph. Once you get a custom tune, I wouldn't be surprised if your 3.7 V6 could get up to 135-145 mph (it removes the governor, although that would not be safe AT ALL for your stock driveshaft).

Get the tune first. With gears, you have to recalibrate your tune anyways, otherwise your speedometer will be off (you'll be going 45 mph but your speedo will say 20, etc.).
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 115 mph 'speed limit' is thanks to Ford's speed governor. The stock computer tune won't let you rev above 115 mph. Once you get a custom tune, I wouldn't be surprised if your 3.7 V6 could get up to 135-145 mph (it removes the governor, although that would not be safe AT ALL for your stock driveshaft).

Get the tune first. With gears, you have to recalibrate your tune anyways, otherwise your speedometer will be off (you'll be going 45 mph but your speedo will say 20, etc.).
Right, I know it's locked by speed governor. But is this lock related to speed or is it related to rpm? I mean if currently I'm doing 115mph at say 4k rpm would I be able to do 115mph with 3.73 at high rpm range without unlocking the Rev limiter?

To unlock the limiter I'd require one piece drive shaft which is another expense. I might be able to get the speedo correction done at ford since I know the service tech kinda well.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd sit down and write the "plan" that I want my mustang to be at. In reading this post, and the replies, they are all great advice, but it's all over the place. It starts with a CAI or exhaust, and moved quickly to tunes, speed limiters, and driveshafts!

Plan what you want your Mustang to be at performance wise. Then start with one item, that will either compliment or add to the last/next upgrade.

With this in mind, most buy the axleback exhaust first, as it provides a "sound" they want, but does not provide any real "seat of the pants" feel in power. Next comes the tune, as this is where you will "feel" a difference, and it motivates you to continue if more is wanted. As to CAI's, as stated, the V6 (and V8) stock air boxes flow great, and really do not requre any change out. Most buy a CAI for the engine "eye candy" that they provide, or because they get to hear the roar of the engine when they stomp on the right pedal (the stock air tubes have a square muffler that dampens this noise). If you plan to add the CAI, I'd buy this last, and buy one that compliments a tune that you have/will install to get the most bang from that purchase. Most CAI's that say they provide a increase in HP/TQ, require a tune to do so, or a larger throttle body.

Think of it this way: flowing more air is only as good as the total system. If the air tube of a CAI flows "x", but the throttle body cannot flow the same, then the CAI by itself will not do much more than what the throttle body can accept. Again, each mod needs to compliment or work with the other.

And then there's turbos, and superchargers, and suspension mods that help keep this newfound power to the pavement....
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well i guess ive decided. Im gonna go with the tuner first then 3.73s and then maybe axelbacks. I like the sound but i dont want to attract the attention of cops haha. Thank you all
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Hello fellas, any one looking for a Intune Diablo tuner i have one i cant use and am trying to sell. Along with 05-10 v6 BBK black out Cold Air Intake. I recommend getting a 8.8 rear for any v6 and 3.73 gears. AM has the rear fully built for about $1,300. dont put money into a 7.5 rear. The T5 tranny you'll blow it at 400RWHP.
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running an Airaid CAI and a Bama Hybrid Tune. Without a doubt, it is first recommendation I'd make to anyone. The performance and sound is like night and day compared to the stock setup. My 3.7 is much quicker than my 2006 GT V8.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
Hello fellas, any one looking for a Intune Diablo tuner i have one i cant use and am trying to sell. Along with 05-10 v6 BBK black out Cold Air Intake. I recommend getting a 8.8 rear for any v6 and 3.73 gears. AM has the rear fully built for about $1,300. dont put money into a 7.5 rear. The T5 tranny you'll blow it at 400RWHP.
Well all 11-14 came with a 8.8 rear so no worries.

Plus no T5's here.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
Have you posted this in the classifieds?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_commando88 View Post
Have you posted this in the classifieds?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
i have to have 100 or 50 posts before i'm able to do so. Thank you
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tuner with cold air intake or cat back?

Quote:

Theres definately a gain. If anyone else has seen their stock pipes, they would notice they are quite flat over the axle. That 2.25" looks more like 1.25" (i know its not, just flattened) but anyways i did notice quite a difference

Plus catbacks just sound better
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #34

Hey guys, thinking bout getting a throttle body spacer. Is it worth the money? Are there any gains from it?
lsufan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufan56 View Post
Hey guys, thinking bout getting a throttle body spacer. Is it worth the money? Are there any gains from it?
Absolute waste of money and time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake