Engine Pre-Oiler, Whaddaya think? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Engine Pre-Oiler, Whaddaya think?

Anybody that has been on recently may have seen that my 2014 3.7 experienced a catastrophic engine failure at just over a thousand miles. It turned out that a rod bearing (#1) shattered, likely caused by oil starvation from a cold start. It took the dealer 12 days to get a new engine shipped and installed and an additional 5 days to locate and seal a water leak (at the bottom of the windshield, passenger side)

Those 17 days without my car gave me a lot of time to research several topics, one of them being the oil system. I came across an article on thecarbibles.com (Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible) that referenced something called an engine pre-oiler. Here is a link to the websitePre-Oiler)

It all seems legit, but I have yet to see anything in the forums that talks about it. Seems to be a very inexpensive insurance policy against cold-start damage. Has anyone seen/tried this thing out? I've seen much reference to the fact that most engine wear occurs during the first couple of minutes during/after start-up. Then again I just read a ton of material about oil viscosity and think that a pre-oiler would be good for that initial crank but becomes moot since operating temperature is minutes away. "It is said that 90 percent of engine wear occurs at startup. If we are interested in engine longevity then we should concentrate our attention at reducing engine wear at startup."- A E Haas; Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

Sorry if the links above are messed up, I'm kinda new at posting. At any rate, I have decided that my next two mods will probably be addressing the preservation of my (again) new engine, so they will likely be an Oil Catch Can and the Engine Pre-oiler, unless you can talk me out of them...

Anyone interested in the pre-oiler, it runs $250 and if 5 are bought together, they run $200. (buy 4 get 1 free)

Please ignore the sad face, I cant figure out why its there.
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Region: Virginia
Wow... really hope this is limited to just you... I have a 2014 with almost a 1K miles and i really hope this doesn't happen.
VB_Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't seem to be a common occurrence with these vehicles. I was just lucky, I guess. Just keep an eye on the rear floor for moisture.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Region: Virginia
Ill keep an eye out for the leak, just hope that engine failure doesn't happen. that sucks it happened to you.
VB_Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB_Sixxer View Post
Wow... really hope this is limited to just you... I have a 2014 with almost a 1K miles and i really hope this doesn't happen.
I have 4800 miles on mine. I just cleaned out the exhaust this morning and the engine seems and sounds fine. Yours should be ok
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Running an 0w20 full synthetic oil would be similar to these oilers. I would flow almost instantly even at cold temps.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Running an 0w20 full synthetic oil would be similar to these oilers. I would flow almost instantly even at cold temps.

Wouldn't 'true' instant flow be better though? I imagine the crank would turn over at least a hundred times before any oil hits it without one.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've always used Ford motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend in all of my ford vehicles for years, no issues. It was a freak accident that happened to your oil pump. A guy I know destroyed his new camaro 6.2 supercharged with less than 10000 miles on it. Bottom end failed and the warranty covered it. Happened a few months ago.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Typically you'd use a pre oiler here the distributor would go.
You stick it in an do a couple spins and it oils the engine. We don't have a distributor, so I'm not 100% how this'd work for our engines
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I provided a link in the original post to the website that makes/sells them. What I believe you are referring to is the accumulators of yesteryear. This device, from what I understand, is fully automatic and gives you oil pressure and flow prior to the first crank revolution, eliminating start-up damage. (that's the theory, anyway)
Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think you may be over thinking things. Even still an 0w20 would flow immediately, but not like a pre-oiler, but honestly you don't need a pre-oiler. There are a 1000 things that can go wrong with engines, unfortunately what happened to you was one of the worst things, but that's what warranties are for.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. I asked for input and got it. Thanks, everyone! I will set this one aside and focus on other mods for now. I will say that this new engine does not have any kind of tick, even at start-up; smooth as can be. The original one had a tiny bit of a tick at start-up, I guess until the oil started to flow, and dissipated as the engine warmed up. This, is considered normal for this engine, according to many, many posts about it.
I will be taking the car back to the dealer around 500 miles (at their request) and have them look it over and I will talk to them about changing the oil and switching to 0W-20 full Synthetic (just to be sure there will be no warranty issues) If any kind of ticking starts with this one, I'll revisit the idea of a pre-oiler; $250 is worth it to me for peace of mind I guess.
Thanks again, everyone who posted.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a 2014 v6 that just had a gear synchro go out haven't had my car for 2 weeks but I have 3k miles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

3000? I've had mine for about 2 months, minus the 17 days in the shop, and only have 1150 on it. Is the gear synchro part of the transmission? What happened?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

my opinion is that in theroy it's a good idea but since the majority of engines run 150K with no oil issues in the real world it is not needed. I do admit to removing the fuel pump relay/fuse when getting my car out of storage each spring and lettin it go through two 10 second crank cycles. I do NOT suggest doing this every day as you'll be replacing the starter/flywheel gear.

opinon only no science involved
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

What do you do that for? The dead cranking...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

under the theory of getting oil in the engine after it being down for 3-4 months. I doubt it does anything but cheap & easy is good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang