Metalic click or knocking sound under driver side floorboard! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
Metalic click or knocking sound under driver side floorboard!

I purchased a V6 2013 premium Mustang with only 300 miles on it and there's a metalic clicking or knocking noise under the driver side floorboard when the car reaches 10mph. It does this ONCE only and never again until the car is turned off and turned back on again.

The Ford dealership told me that the other mustangs do this and that it's normal. I test drove another V6 coupe and kind of heard a similar noise but it was barely there. They believe it to be some type of electrical system check that the car performs.....

Any one else have the same noise occurring once at 10mph? You do have to drive and accelerate slowly to hear it the best.
Seth7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth7979 View Post
I purchased a V6 2013 premium Mustang with only 300 miles on it and there's a metalic clicking or knocking noise under the driver side floorboard when the car reaches 10mph. It does this ONCE only and never again until the car is turned off and turned back on again.

The Ford dealership told me that the other mustangs do this and that it's normal. I test drove another V6 coupe and kind of heard a similar noise but it was barely there. They believe it to be some type of electrical system check that the car performs.....

Any one else have the same noise occurring once at 10mph? You do have to drive and accelerate slowly to hear it the best.
I will have owned my V6 premium on the 28th of this month and have never heard anything at all at that speed or any other time while driving my Mustang. My guess would be that the car automatically locks the doors at that speed just like my wife's Honda CRV. I've never heard the doors actually lock, but my doors are always locked when I stop to get out of my car eventhough I didn't manually lock them when I drove off in the first place. Hope this helps.
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

That was what I thought it could be, but tested it by locking the doors before shifting it into drive. It still made the sound after I locked the doors. This sound is coming from below the car and I can feel it resonate under my feet, only on the driver side. The sound always hits at 10mph and doesn't have anything to do with auto shifting as it happens well before the car shifts into 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

I bought my 2014 last November and noticed the same sound. I thought it may be something to do with the anti roll back or something like that disengaging. I only have about 1200 miles on it so far and haven't gotten around to going back to the dealer.
ShovelHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
The plot thickens. Keep us posted as little crap like this always has my interest
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My OPINION

I may be wrong but I think it is just the two piece driveshaft making that snap. I'm sure it won't happen every time but it seems they all do it. If it was continuous all the time it would be easy to find out the cause. Mine only does it once in a while and it does not seem to hurt anything. My friend that bought an aluminum one piece said his never ever made the sound again. His did it once in a while with his old stock two piece driveshaft.
It may be due to the sliding action of the stock shaft.
Like I said, I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

If it makes you feel better, The new Camaro's also have this same type thing. They also have a two piece driveshaft.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

At least I found someone with the same issue (shovelhead)! That makes me feel better. I spoke with an adviser at another dealership near my work and he thought it might be the flexplate shifting into place after driving with me. He said it was an issue with the 2012 and it's not normal. I haven't had a chance to drop it off at the second dealership because it's far from where I live. I also don't think it's the flex plate.

I'm assuming that service centers at Ford dealerships are trained to say everything is normal as much as possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I may be wrong but I think it is just the two piece driveshaft making that snap. I'm sure it won't happen every time but it seems they all do it. If it was continuous all the time it would be easy to find out the cause. Mine only does it once in a while and it does not seem to hurt anything. My friend that bought an aluminum one piece said his never ever made the sound again. His did it once in a while with his old stock two piece driveshaft.
It may be due to the sliding action of the stock shaft.
Like I said, I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

If it makes you feel better, The new Camaro's also have this same type thing. They also have a two piece driveshaft.
Ronnie
Ah yes, I am very familiar with the driveshaft sound and clunk as well, but what I'm experiencing is consistant and will only happen one time, when I reach a speed of 10mph. After this metallic click / popping noise under the driver side floor board occurs, I have to turn the car off, then on to hear it again.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They all do it once in a whle

You gotta listen for it. 99% of the time it won't make a sound but 1% of the time it can be heard. My neighbors Camaro does it once in a while. He asked me what it was. I told him my Mustang also did it once in a while and I think it is the two piece driveshaft. I don't think it is taking up slack but I do think it may be coming from where it slides in and out getting stuck from rust or something. It don't seem to hurt anything and I'm going to get a one piece aluminum someday so I don't really worry about it. If I was the only person with this with my Mustang I would worry, But I'm not so no worry's here.
Ronnie

PS:If it did it every time I moved the car I would worry and take it in. It may do it once a month and only when I first move it out of the garage after sitting for a while.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yours is something else.

Did your dealer put your car on the lift ? Sitting in the car and driving sure ain't gonna find a problem like that. If they put it on a lift and start it and run it to 10/15 MPH they may be able to trace the sound. Especially if it happens every time. I can't think of what it could be.
Let us know what you find out. This is a strange one.
Ronnie
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Did your dealer put your car on the lift ? Sitting in the car and driving sure ain't gonna find a problem like that. If they put it on a lift and start it and run it to 10/15 MPH they may be able to trace the sound. Especially if it happens every time. I can't think of what it could be.
Let us know what you find out. This is a strange one.
Ronnie
I just called them and they had it on the lift and ran a full inspection, but didn't run the car! Frustrating.... They test drove another mustang on their lot and found that it made the same noise and then contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer provided a statement that when the car first starts it runs a series of tests that can make a similar noise, but the dealership failed to clarify if those tests were performed during idle or at 10 mph.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Dealer is full of crap

I just drove my Mustang and it made no sound at all this time. Even the drive shaft noise is only once in a while and not all the time. It seems only when sitting for a while up to a week. I drove my car yesterday.

If you have a friend that has a lift it would be nice for him or her to let you use it for a few minutes and help you. It will take two people to do the test. One inside the car and one under the car to see where the click is coming from.

If no lift available you can always jack up the rear and use jack stands. It will still take two people. Be sure to block the front wheels solid so as to not have a tragedy.
If no sound is heard as you say it happens every single time it would have to be a suspension or a brake problem.

The idiot dealer should have run the car when they had it on the lift. Plus, What the hell kind of test would create a noise on your car and no other Mustang? If you find the problem and it turns out to be a wheel bearing or any other safety defect you need to let the Factory know just how good that dealer is at checking out a car with a noise that should not be there.
Ronnie
Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The only sound I hear when I reach 10mph is the doors auto locking lol
Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
I just drove my Mustang and it made no sound at all this time. Even the drive shaft noise is only once in a while and not all the time. It seems only when sitting for a while up to a week. I drove my car yesterday.

If you have a friend that has a lift it would be nice for him or her to let you use it for a few minutes and help you. It will take two people to do the test. One inside the car and one under the car to see where the click is coming from.

If no lift available you can always jack up the rear and use jack stands. It will still take two people. Be sure to block the front wheels solid so as to not have a tragedy.
If no sound is heard as you say it happens every single time it would have to be a suspension or a brake problem.

The idiot dealer should have run the car when they had it on the lift. Plus, What the hell kind of test would create a noise on your car and no other Mustang? If you find the problem and it turns out to be a wheel bearing or any other safety defect you need to let the Factory know just how good that dealer is at checking out a car with a noise that should not be there.
Ronnie
Good advice Ronnie. I'll probably take it to another dealer and make sure they put it on a lift and run the car. I made a series of calls today to several other Ford Dealerships and one of them had an adviser who test drove another 2013 mustang on the lot. He did say that at 10mph he hears a faint double click under the floor board. He also said that he has no idea what it is....
Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
The only sound I hear when I reach 10mph is the doors auto locking lol
What's strange is that my car doors do not auto lock....I wonder if there is a connection.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
I get something similar in my 2012 manual, it isn't metallic but there is a noise at about 10 mph and sounds like it comes from the brake booster or clutch area
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #17

Has anyone figured out what it is?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm thinking it's the autolock.......

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'm thinking it's the autolock.......
Could it be? im interested in finding out by reading all this
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #20

It is different from the doors locking if that is what autolock is. It is a sound from under the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Head, does yours only do it the 1x per start cycle like Seths? Also is yours stick or auto.....that may be the roll back but idk how that works. yeah the auto lock is the doors.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #22

Yes, only 1x a start. Mine is manual and I thought it was an anti rollback disengaging but was never sure. Sometimes it seems louder than other times but I think that is the sound resonating off of the pavement or walls differently.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've noticed a slight "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" when I am driving slow with the windows down sometimes. Could just be a rock stuck in my tire tread but I don't know. I've heard it several times before. It slows and speeds up with the speed of the car, so it's gotta be something mechanical. But I have yet to figure it out.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

i WOULD THINK ANTI-ROLL WOULD DO IT MORE THAN 1X (oops not yelling!) ie every time you stopped it would re-activate. Mine does it 1x per start cycle but it is the door locks....if you find out plz update and let us know.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My 2011 provides some creaks and groans from the left front, but I just figure it's the stock suspension components starting to get angry with me because of all the weekend airport rallies I drive it in.

Like me, she's starting to show some age in her joints; she has 60K. Thats like 60 years old in human life, isn't it?
Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My 2011 provides some creaks and groans from the left front, but I just figure it's the stock suspension components starting to get angry with me because of all the weekend airport rallies I drive it in.

Like me, she's starting to show some age in her joints; she has 60K. Thats like 60 years old in human life, isn't it?
Lmao that means my dad's GT is 300 years old!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #27

Region: New York
I just purchased a used 2014 V6 that makes this noise under the drivers side floorboard. This only occurs when it is extremely hot outside, when its cool weather there is no noise. I thought it was overexpansion of the exhaust system. A friend suggested expansion of the heat shield or the manifold. This problem is just an annoyance and does not affect the performance of the car.
Coldiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang