Finally! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Really wasn't trying to argue. Lol

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Was just trying to help a new member with my experience.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've been working with a buddy of mine at his shop these past few weeks!.. He has owned his shop for over 20 years!.. He has always tightened lugs down with a torque wrench, and never more than 110 ft/lbs, and in all that time he has never snapped off a lug!.. Nor has ever had a wheel come off!.. He also builds cars for the track, both 1/4 mile and road course!.. Point being, do take the time you need and do things right!.. The first time!.. Just because such and such shop/s have done things their way and seem to get away with it!.. Doesn't mean it's wise to try and risk the same thing too!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
So easy anybody can do it right

Just go to Loews or Sears or any auto parts store.
Purchase a Torque wrench.
Then Torque your lugs to 100 Ft.Pds.
Yep, Easy to be safe and not sorry.

It is a good idea to check the lugs after driving about 50 miles.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie

+11 on everything he just said!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
Like I've said, a torque wrench is NOT a bad thing. Its amazing how things get turned around here! I simply said that hand tightening a lug won't cause your car to explode. As I really enjoy this forum its amazing how much it can go to **** sometimes.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
As I really enjoy this forum its amazing how much it can go to **** sometimes.

Completely true
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you don't want to do it properly, It is OK with me.

Not torquing the lug nuts is something I would not do or suggest anybody else not do. If you don't want to do it and never had a problem , FINE-GREAT.
But don't suggest it is the safe correct way to put a wheel on any car.
Using a Torque wrench is not that hard. If you do not know how to use one just look at the video on this post. It is really easy.

If you ever track your car the very first step the safety check people do is check the torque on your wheels. They do that first before inspecting anything else. I wonder why??????
RONNIE
Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
after reading this sounds like what just happened to mine this week.
pretty sure they were over tightened and ripped apart my rim. had to flip the lugs over and tighten down just to get home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10157212_389667341175843_8121271584560234584_n (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	153906   Click image for larger version

Name:	1507593_389667121175865_4316259956417273570_n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	153907  

FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Ok, I think we got a little off track here. Yes, proper protocol is to use a torque wrench. My original statement was in regards to shops that use air guns and hammer on the studs at full blast. If fastford13 is doing it by hand, that's one way to go, just using a torque wrench to check would be the safe way.

Also, we as members have to realize that not everyone is a mechanic, so when recommending maintenance or repair procedures we should always keep best/safest practices in mind when giving advice. I don't know about you, but I would hate to be the guy to give a shortcut repair to someone, only to see that repair fail and cause harm to them.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
after reading this sounds like what just happened to mine this week.
pretty sure they were over tightened and ripped apart my rim. had to flip the lugs over and tighten down just to get home

You said your holes were oblong. My guess is yours were loose, allowing the wheel to move back and forth on the lugs. Tight wouldn't oblong the holes.
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Completely true
Seriously. That last time I ruffled a few feathers, not mentioning any names, I was trying to simply show a member how I installed some aftermarket pony projection lights by splicing off the dome lights, no switches required and would naturally dim out with your interior lights by using electrical tape on electrical wires!? Call me crazy! Idk.Lol.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Seriously. That last time I ruffled a few feathers, not mentioning any names, I was trying to simply show a member how I installed some aftermarket pony projection lights by splicing off the dome lights by using electrical tape on electrical wires!? Call me crazy! Idk.Lol.

I'm not trying to start anything... But some people here have no sense, and just want arguments with whoever they can find to cause one.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not torquing the lug nuts is something I would not do or suggest anybody else not do. If you don't want to do it and never had a problem , FINE-GREAT.
But don't suggest it is the safe correct way to put a wheel on any car.
Using a Torque wrench is not that hard. If you do not know how to use one just look at the video on this post. It is really easy.

If you ever track your car the very first step the safety check people do is check the torque on your wheels. They do that first before inspecting anything else. I wonder why??????
RONNIE
^^^see mustangz! Roll eyes. Out of control.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You said your holes were oblong. My guess is yours were loose, allowing the wheel to move back and forth on the lugs. Tight wouldn't oblong the holes.
No, they MUST have been over tightened! Lol. I'm sorry I just had to. Lol. Please everyone who changes there own tires PLEASE buy a torque wrench! My god!!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Finally!

Slaps thread back to OPs original topic...

OP nice parts i have found lots of good info on these forums along with passionate people about cars, enjoy the new parts and asks questions / watch install videos before you dive in so you have a base understanding of what your doing/looking for as you do it.
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
NASCAR 101. Lugs not tight enough= oblong wheel holes. Not sure I ever heard them say it was because they were over tightened. But hey to make everyone happy please just buy a torque wrench, as stated they are under 30$ and everyone can sleep easy and no cars will explode.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
NASCAR 101. Lugs not tight enough= oblong wheel holes. Not sure I ever heard them say it was because they were over tightened. But hey to make everyone happy please just buy a torque wrench, as stated they are under 30$ and everyone can sleep easy.

I'm sorry, are you in NASCAR, no... Then how can you say that...

Haha, I had to do that. Just messing with ya. This thread has gotten hilarious.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Very good advice from Fast Ford13

Quote:
But hey to make everyone happy please just buy a torque wrench, as stated they are under 30$ and everyone can sleep easy.
Ronnie
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wow a full thread on a torque wrench 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I'm sorry, are you in NASCAR, no... Then how can you say that...

Haha, I had to do that. Just messing with ya. This thread has gotten hilarious.
4 real. Lol.As I think you mentioned earlier people have to use common sense! When I say hand tighten its not with a 3 foot bar attached to your tire iron and pulling with all your might.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Wow a full thread on a torque wrench 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Lmao! I'm ordering one right now from China!!!!! 1.50$ free shipping! Anyone else want one? My treat. Lol. Made out of plastic and will take 3 years to get here.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

This is just silly! Op you've got some really nice stuff! Do you have any pics of your ride?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If y'all think this is good, shoulda been here a few months ago. Mustangz can vouch and knows what I'm talking about lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I don't have enough pics of the car =( was waiting for everything to be installed. And I enjoy the enthusiasm everyone is showing with the tires haha. Just to let everyone know I will actually be having everything installed by my step-dad at his shop since he's closing this week. Obviously I will reward him big time, I will be able to learn and get my hands dirty. So excited! Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397450358612.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	153909

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397450376641.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	153910  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
If y'all think this is good, shoulda been here a few months ago. Mustangz can vouch and knows what I'm talking about lol

Refresh my memory... I was in a ton of arguments months ago
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
I don't have enough pics of the car =( was waiting for everything to be installed. And I enjoy the enthusiasm everyone is showing with the tires haha. Just to let everyone know I will actually be having everything installed by my step-dad at his shop since he's closing this week. Obviously I will reward him big time, I will be able to learn and get my hands dirty. So excited! Attachment 153909

Nice ride and glad you found someone to help ya, not to mention a bonding moment also. 😃

I hope you got it by now but just in case you forgot, remember to torque your lug nuts.😂😂😂😂
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't have enough pics of the car =( was waiting for everything to be installed. And I enjoy the enthusiasm everyone is showing with the tires haha. Just to let everyone know I will actually be having everything installed by my step-dad at his shop since he's closing this week. Obviously I will reward him big time, I will be able to learn and get my hands dirty. So excited! Attachment 153909

Looks good! Some tints will sure make that a black on black beast! What wheels did you get?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

They were darker and In the first week I received a fix it ticket lol. Had to redo them and have them lighter. Bought these babies

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397488336705.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	153932

Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #65
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Nice wheels

They are going to look great on your Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They were darker and In the first week I received a fix it ticket lol. Had to redo them and have them lighter. Bought these babies
Attachment 153932

Oh gotcha! I just had mine done, not to Quebec law, so I'm rolling the dice also. Those wheels are going to look GREAT on your ride! What tire is going on it?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I live in Florida and belong to two different clubs. One is only Mustangs and the other is a Muscle car club. Someone is always willing to help put stuff on or at least show you how to do it.
You, Living in the San Fransisco area should have no problem finding a decent car club to join.
I would not go with a person that tells you $650.00 and the price could change. That just means he will probably charge you way more after the job is done. Not a very good thing since he is chargeing to much to start with.

At least if you did join a club someone could refer you to a more honest shop.
Ronnie
Hey Ronnie. I live in Naples Florida and had a shop put my exhaust on. If you could send me stuff on your clubs if anywhere near the area I would appreciate it. I am always interested in meets and am going to be getting some suspension parts in thenext 6 weeks or so. I dont really have tools or lift but I would love to work on it and maybe rent some tools or whatever if thats an option over paying a shop do install. Guy is cool but money is money and I would LOVE to get my hands dirty getting my baby together!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #68
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You have a club in your area

Check on this,
West Coast Muscle Car Club - Naples Florida

Here is a Mustang club not really that far from you
http://www.gulfshoremustangclub.com/
I live in Daytona Beach which is across the state and pretty far north from you.
Ronnie
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Hey Ronnie. I live in Naples Florida and had a shop put my exhaust on. If you could send me stuff on your clubs if anywhere near the area I would appreciate it. I am always interested in meets and am going to be getting some suspension parts in thenext 6 weeks or so. I dont really have tools or lift but I would love to work on it and maybe rent some tools or whatever if thats an option over paying a shop do install. Guy is cool but money is money and I would LOVE to get my hands dirty getting my baby together!

I'm willing to help, still learning myself though, know the basics but want to learn more also. I live up in estero. If I can find time between work, school, and a new baby on the way, I'd be interested in helping. Lol
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I purchased the all season pirelli tire combo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang