Finally! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Finally!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397412839378.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	153825
I finally received my packages from AM (yesterday) now as far as installation fees what would be the average price to get everything installed? It would be the cai, x pipe, ab, springs, and wheels mounted and balanced obviously. I called a shop which had good reviews on yelp and was quoted about $650 as a estimate for everything. But he did state price can change because he's not sure if he has to cut or do any other of extra work (I doubt it). Thanks in advanced everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why not install yourself. CAI, x pipe, AB, and springs are a simple install.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
$650.00 Wow,

I hope the guy is gonna wash and wax your car along with putting that stuff on for you. Maybe rub your feet too.

You should look into joining a Mustang club such as:::
Home or a simular club in your area. Then all you need is to buy a couple of cases of beer and some hot dogs or steaks to throw on the grill and invite a couple club members over to see your parts. I'm sure it would not cost you $650.00
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wish but I have zero experience with installing parts like these and probably lack of proper tools. Scared to mess something up haha.
@Ronnie That actually sounds like a great idea! Might end up talking to some friends of mine with more experience on these things.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
I wish but I have zero experience with installing parts like these and probably lack of proper tools. Scared to mess something up haha.
@Ronnie That actually sounds like a great idea! Might end up talking to some friends of mine with more experience on these things.
Well if you don't have the proper tools or experience to do your x pipe and springs I'd get that done and obviously the tire mount and balance as well. If I had to ballpark it I'd say 100-125$ for the springs,60-70 for the x, and depending on where you go for the tires I'd say 100$, its usually 25 a tire where I am, so your looking at around 300 give or take. If you you tube how to do the CAI and Axel backs any one can change those with basic hand tools, no jack stands or even jack required. If your gonna start modding you should at least get your hands a little dirty with those mods, it will help you down the line. Good luck.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I like my Mustang and Musclecar clubs

I live in Florida and belong to two different clubs. One is only Mustangs and the other is a Muscle car club. Someone is always willing to help put stuff on or at least show you how to do it.
You, Living in the San Fransisco area should have no problem finding a decent car club to join.
I would not go with a person that tells you $650.00 and the price could change. That just means he will probably charge you way more after the job is done. Not a very good thing since he is chargeing to much to start with.

At least if you did join a club someone could refer you to a more honest shop.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will probably end up installing the ab and cai myself I have to learn sooner or later being new to modding and especially because I will keep modding. I have already looked up some youtube vids and it seems like a very basic installation.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! I will probably end up installing the ab and cai myself I have to learn sooner or later being new to modding and especially because I will keep modding. I have already looked up some youtube vids and it seems like a very basic installation.
Thumbs!!! You can do it! With the 300 or so you save you can get some tools. Its not hard at all just take your time and you'll do fine.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Question: If you got the rims and tires from AM why didn't you have them mount and balance them for free for you? Then you would just have to put them on, which is easy.

Also, for the $650 that you would spend to install everything, for half that you can buy a 300 piece craftsman tool set, which would have the tools you need PLUS you get to keep them.

EDIT: BTW nice car, everyone knows black is the fastest color. lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You know what's funny is that I totally forgot I actually did get them mounted by AM. I had totally forgotten till I opened the boxes because when I was placing the order I wasn't planning on having them mounted. Might be time to invest on a lifter with some stands.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, you can get a floor jack and stands combo from any of the chain auto parts stores. Only takes about 30 mins to do. Just make sure you get a torque wrench (important tool), they run anywhere from $40-$100, and torque the lug nuts to 100 Ft/LBS.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Been doing mine and my wife's tires for 15 years, never had to use a torque wrench. My rule of thumb tighten by hand, one week later check again, I've never had a loose one after the week. Most anyone can torque a lug to 100lbs NP. No worries of breaking a stud off a wheel lol. I have an impact wrench rated at 220lbs of torque that can't remove the lugs that I put on by hand to give you an idea. Its used once I've cracked the lugs off by hand and used to put the lugs back on until it stops tightening, then I finish it by hand.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's not the safest method. Over tightening lugs is bad because over time it can actually stretch the stud and cause the lugs to back off. Its the reason why car manufactures have a torque setting for wheels. It also prevents warping of the brake rotor which will happen with unevenly torqued lug nuts.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Well if you don't have the proper tools or experience to do your x pipe and springs I'd get that done and obviously the tire mount and balance as well. If I had to ballpark it I'd say 100-125$ for the springs,60-70 for the x, and depending on where you go for the tires I'd say 100$, its usually 25 a tire where I am, so your looking at around 300 give or take. If you you tube how to do the CAI and Axel backs any one can change those with basic hand tools, no jack stands or even jack required. If your gonna start modding you should at least get your hands a little dirty with those mods, it will help you down the line. Good luck.

Damn 25 a tire!? Mines 10 lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said 15 years 0 problems! IMO hand tightening will never be enough to stretch a stud over time. Also IMO 100lbs/torque is not very much at all and in fact have seen loose lugs from a buddy's ride after a season of driving his car and then changing over to his winter tires. His car was bought new and always the dealer (gm) changing his wheels every season until he decided to do it him self last year and he found 3 lugs pretty loose. IMO not only is that more dangerous it will also oblong the hole. Just my 2ยข

Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Damn 25 a tire!? Mines 10 lol
You can get a tire mounted, balanced and installed for 10$? Where I am my buddy (gm) charges him that just to balance one tire. Lol he got a set of winter rims with tires because he was fed up of getting it in the bum. Lol. Now he does it himself, saves a little $$$. I think up here they take advantage of people because by law we are required to have winter tires on our cars from December 15th - to March 15th, if you get caught without them its a hefty fine and if you get into an accident and don't have them our insurance probably won't cover you even if its not your fault. It can be quite a pita to get an appointment anytime around then because every waits to the last minute.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just stating the method that has been determined to be the safest. I've seen many shops put the lugs on and never check. I personally have installed hundreds of tires using this method and not once have had a problem. Toque to 100 ft/lbs then recheck after 50-100 miles and you will be set.

Anyway, I don't want to get this thread off course. Looks like the TC is going to install the stuff himself which is nice to hear.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I'm just stating the method that has been determined to be the safest. I've seen many shops put the lugs on and never check. I personally have installed hundreds of tires using this method and not once have had a problem. Toque to 100 ft/lbs then recheck after 50-100 miles and you will be set.

Anyway, I don't want to get this thread off course. Looks like the TC is going to install the stuff himself which is nice to hear.
+1. Good rule of thumb. You have given the OP some very good info, especially if like he's said not experienced working on his car.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There has to be a ton of mustang guys around you and at least one that'd be happy to help you out for way cheaper than that and one that'd actually teach you some stuff along the process.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If he stays on this forum I think he could learn a world of info! Its truly amazing how much I've learned from this forum! Op there are many people with a lot of knowledge that will always help you out. You will see just how much you can learn from all the great members here!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
You can get a tire mounted, balanced and installed for 10$? Where I am my buddy (gm) charges him that just to balance one tire. Lol he got a set of winter rims with tires because he was fed up of getting it in the bum. Lol. Now he does it himself, saves a little $$$. I think up here they take advantage of people because by law we are required to have winter tires on our cars from December 15th - to March 15th, if you get caught without them its a hefty fine and if you get into an accident and don't have them our insurance probably won't cover you even if its not your fault. It can be quite a pita to get an appointment anytime around then because every waits to the last minute.

Lol omg that's crazy! Glad I live here haha
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
That's not the safest method. Over tightening lugs is bad because over time it can actually stretch the stud and cause the lugs to back off. Its the reason why car manufactures have a torque setting for wheels. It also prevents warping of the brake rotor which will happen with unevenly torqued lug nuts.

+11. I once had a bad experience with some lugs that where over tightened!.. They snapped off when I was going 80 down the highway!.. Good news is the only damage done was to the rim itself!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Lol omg that's crazy! Glad I live here haha
Lol. 4 real , we get screwed in so many ways up here.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
+11. I once had a bad experience with some lugs that where over tightened!.. They snapped off when I was going 80 down the highway!.. Good news is the only damage done was to the rim itself!..
Just wondering how they snapped off and how many are you talking about at once? I can see maybe once you changed tires and it snapped while tightening but.... I have never heard of a stud breaking under normal driving conditions unless you only had one or two out of five lugs on.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Being a certified welder for 20 years and also taken metallurgy I can say that even over the coarse of 10 years, changing your tires twice a year for a total of 20 times over that time and having all five lugs hand tightened in the correct pattern should present no problems with over tightening causing a stud to break from driving. Like earlier stated most garages put there lugs on with an air gun that will apply a lot more torque than my hands can apply and I'm a pretty big guy. Anyone ever have a problem cracking a lug after the shop has done them? I know its happen to pretty much everyone I know including myself. There is no way someone is going to apply more torque than a everyday garage that doesn't torque them to spec which is probably 75% of them. Just saying.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have learned a lot since joining, and really appreciate the community for always being super supportive. Especially being a first time mustang owner.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

And it looks like your off to a great start to your mods! Is it your first set of mods to the car?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

This discussion regarding tires is really good info for people like me.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just wondering how they snapped off and how many are you talking about at once? I can see maybe once you changed tires and it snapped while tightening but.... I have never heard of a stud breaking under normal driving conditions unless you only had one or two out of five lugs on.

3 out of 5 actually snapped!.. The other 2 where more or less ripped off!.. And if your lugs are over tightened, then yes, normal driving conditions can cause that extra stress to break them!..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3 out of 5 actually snapped!.. The other 2 where more or less ripped off!.. And if your lugs are over tightened, then yes, normal driving conditions can cause that extra stress to break them!..
3 out of 5 snapped while driving???? Sorry, but I don't buy that. Unless those bolts are a hundred years old and full of contaminants or rotted that won't happen. If a bolt is that weak it would have snapped while it was being over torqued when it was put on. If what you say happened you had other factors in play.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3 out of 5 snapped while driving???? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Ah, ya!... You weren't there!.. I was!.. And yes that's exactly as it happened!.. And the lugs where tightened down by hand (my hand) not going by the factory torque specs!.. And that's what happened!.. Now you can be stupid and go by the Factory Specs!.. Or you can be smart and use them!.. I don't give a rip about you being a welder and taken metallurgy and what not!.. What happened, happened!.. And what you know, or think you know doesn't change the facts!..

OP. Buy a torque wrench and tighten your lugs to the factory specs!.. A $20 wrench is a lot cheaper than new rims!.. Or risking your ride all together!..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah, ya!... You weren't there!.. I was!.. And yes that's exactly as it happened!.. And the lugs where tightened down by hand (my hand) not going by the factory torque specs!.. And that's what happened!.. Now you can be stupid and go by the Factory Specs!.. Or you can be smart and use them!.. I don't give a rip about you being a welder and taken metallurgy and what not!.. What happened, happened!.. And what you know, or think you know doesn't change the facts!..

OP. Buy a torque wrench and tighten your lugs to the factory specs!.. A $20 wrench is a lot cheaper than new rims!.. Or risking your ride all together!..
OK your clearly FOS, Im just stating fact and reality about what happens in the real world. Like I said a torque wrench is NOT a bad thing, just reality is that most places will over torque way more than most anyone can hand tighten. At my shop we use 3/8 ,1/2 and 5/8 bolts with 10/24 threads on some of our jigs that are regular CRS (that's cold rolled steel) low to mid carbon bolts that are torque over 200lbs and cycle 25 Times a day while they go into our robotic welders and never break. Also stated earlier never one problem in 15 years of doing rim swaps twice a year. I clearly speak from experience. BTW the study of metallurgy also consists of how metals react under load, torque and heat so yeah you can say I know what I'm talking about!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK your clearly FOS, Im just stating fact and reality about what happens in the real world.

Fact and reality is that you were not there!.. Fact and reality is I can go take a pic of my old rim if you like!.. Fact and reality is, torque them down properly and to the factory specs and you'll be safe!..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fact and reality is that you were not there!.. Fact and reality is I can go take a pic of my old rim if you like!.. Fact and reality is, torque them down properly and to the factory specs and you'll be safe!..
OK, I'm done. Have a good night!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Dang... I missed a good argument...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang