New update to our factory ECU by ford or another dealership gimmick? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
New update to our factory ECU by ford or another dealership gimmick?

I was on an another mustang forum (TMS), and saw a post about the usual throttle delay troubleshooting. So OP went to dealership, had some tests done by his service manager to see if something is wrong with his car - they had test driven another stock 3.7 auto and felt it was much quicker. Well, dealership guys told him that ford has pushed a new update to our PCMs/ECU and hence the test driven car (brand new) felt more quicker. They flashed his ECU and he reported it felt more responsive after that.

In my opinion, dealership could just have taken fuse #47/negative termimal out to reset the ECU, and thereby pleased the customer with a placebo where he felt his car is more quicker now. Orrrr in fact there could have been a new update released by ford as they suggested. I'm wondering if anyone has come across any such news about the update?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
Ford reflashed my V6 about a month and a half or 2 months ago. I didn't notice anything different. How recent is this new flash?
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Ford reflashed my V6 about a month and a half or 2 months ago. I didn't notice anything different. How recent is this new flash?
From what I read, they flashed his ECU last week with "supposedly" new software. God knows if it was just a reflash or not lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
From what I read, they flashed his ECU last week with "supposedly" new software. God knows if it was just a reflash or not lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Yeah easily could be a placebo effect. Or maybe the tester had different gears. When I test drove the Mustang it was a white premium with 2.73s and when my personal Mustang came in, I test drove it too and it felt considerably different. Who knows?
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Yeah easily could be a placebo effect. Or maybe the tester had different gears. When I test drove the Mustang it was a white premium with 2.73s and when my personal Mustang came in, I test drove it too and it felt considerably different. Who knows?
Yeah that could be the reason too. I honestly feel dealership guys would do whatever it would take for them to save money; nvm the consumer who shelled out $35K to make em richer.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,020
there is no incentive for the dealer to lie. either they did something or not why make up a story about re-flashing when they could just say we reset?
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
there is no incentive for the dealer to lie. either they did something or not why make up a story about re-flashing when they could just say we reset?
Umm to please the customer with a placebo? Since 'update your ecu with new software from ford' would make more sense than resetting it imo lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Prescott
Region: Arizona
Posts: 274
Trust a dealer? Would a dealer lie? Really! If you ever find what you think is an honest dealer, let me know. Anywhere in the United States. Any make or company. I could stand a good laugh.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Trust a dealer? Would a dealer lie? Really! If you ever find what you think is an honest dealer, let me know. Anywhere in the United States. Any make or company. I could stand a good laugh.
LOL you're asking me to find a single horned unicorn. One of the dealerships I originally went to tried their butt of sell me a mustang I wasn't interested in. I only had made a verbal deal, no money down no insurance nothing.

When I eventually backed out, they were like uh you can't do that. You have already made a deal and that you've to come drive the vehicle off the lot. BS! They can't do anything unless the title has been transfered to your name I.e, has been insured under your name. Arsewipes!!

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Oh and this another time i went to test drive a GT at a Chrysler dealership. They didn't know I own a mustang too and that I know my **** about em; they tried to upsell it as 'very rare limited run California special' edition.. When in fact it was a BASE gt with 17' all season tires, **** rims and just leather seats. Way to go.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I was on an another mustang forum (TMS), and saw a post about the usual throttle delay troubleshooting. So OP went to dealership, had some tests done by his service manager to see if something is wrong with his car - they had test driven another stock 3.7 auto and felt it was much quicker. Well, dealership guys told him that ford has pushed a new update to our PCMs/ECU and hence the test driven car (brand new) felt more quicker. They flashed his ECU and he reported it felt more responsive after that.

In my opinion, dealership could just have taken fuse #47/negative termimal out to reset the ECU, and thereby pleased the customer with a placebo where he felt his car is more quicker now. Orrrr in fact there could have been a new update released by ford as they suggested. I'm wondering if anyone has come across any such news about the update?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Fuse 47... a relay used in automatic transmissions only that resets the "learned" shift points. This however is relearned and set again, so it would only be temporary, and would require removing this relay again. Performing this to obtain a "placebo" effect would have only made the customer more likely to be discouraged with the service department.
Resolving the issue with a new ECU flash to correct the fault was the way to go by Ford. They get my respect on that one.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Trust a dealer? Would a dealer lie? Really! If you ever find what you think is an honest dealer, let me know. Anywhere in the United States. Any make or company. I could stand a good laugh.
They're out there.

In Central Florida, I've had excellent results with my local Ford service (AutoNation Ford of Sanford). Another one was Grapevine Ford in the Dallas, Texas area when I was working out of that area.

I had one recent incident where I had to take an F150 back twice for the same fault. The Sanford Ford dealership was so concerned, they offered up a lonor vehicle, and presented me with a lunch voucher at a local BBQ. It was repaired the second time, and they even did an oil change for me (still had 30% left on the oil monitor).

While I like to pride myself with having some knowledge base on the vehicles I've owned and worked on, I try not to use this as a leverage when talking with a service advisor or mechanic. Mechanics or advisors can get a bit gruffy when someone tries to tell them how to do their job. A box of donuts and a container of coffee goes a long way too. I presented this one Saturday morning to the service guys at the Dallas location when I had to have my new truck serviced under warranty. I always got the royal treatment after that whenever I stepped foot into the service location. This is not required, but does go a long way to establish a good working relationship.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,223
Ford frequently updates software - one of the reasons why they always ask at my dealer if I reflashed to stock when I bring it in. If not then they tell the tech not to do any updates, or it will mess with the custom tune. So the dealer saying to reflash as the OP says isn't all unusual.

I did just get a reflash done, but it didn't do anything for performance as far as I could tell. It was something to do with the emissions system. But they loaded all the updates that they had missed before since it was back to stock for this one at the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Ford frequently updates software - one of the reasons why they always ask at my dealer if I reflashed to stock when I bring it in. If not then they tell the tech not to do any updates, or it will mess with the custom tune. So the dealer saying to reflash as the OP says isn't all unusual.

I did just get a reflash done, but it didn't do anything for performance as far as I could tell. It was something to do with the emissions system. But they loaded all the updates that they had missed before since it was back to stock for this one at the time.
Good point. It's wise to mention to a service advisor to make a note on the repair ticket to not flash the ECU when you bring your car in for service unless they contact you first.

I've read in other post topics where a car was brought in for something like an interior or lighting issue, and the mechanic saw that a ECU update was issued for the car. They installed the ECU flash while the vehicle was in for the other repair. Again, if a car is under warranty, it's assumed by the dealer it is "stock".
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Believe it or don't believe it-'this is a good thing'

As Ford finds little flaws or any way to improve the emissions or performance by updating the CPU they like to do it.
This is good for us with no tunes but not good for anyone that does have a tune.
American muscle as well as Steeda sells a little item that plugs your CPU input plug and tells the dealer not to update your car. It is worth buying if you have a tune.


AM's click here> http://www.americanmuscle.com/bama-odbii-cover.html

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
If the dealer re-flashes the ECU, will current tunes still load and work? Or do new tunes need to be written based on the re-flashed tune?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
If the dealer re-flashes the ECU, will current tunes still load and work? Or do new tunes need to be written based on the re-flashed tune?
Generally if you flash back to stock first, and then the dealer does the update, everything will be fine. The only time it can cause an issue is if they also somehow affect the strategy code. So after setting back to stock, use your tuner to pull up the strategy codes and write it down. When you get the car back, before uploading your tune, check the code again.

Rarely happens, but it is possible. I've never had an issue though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
As Ford finds little flaws or any way to improve the emissions or performance by updating the CPU they like to do it.
This is good for us with no tunes but not good for anyone that does have a tune.
American muscle as well as Steeda sells a little item that plugs your CPU input plug and tells the dealer not to update your car. It is worth buying if you have a tune.


AM's click here> Bama Performance Mustang OBDII Port Cover - Free Shipping

Ronnie
If it would have said "Do not Flash", I may have bought it (although 14 bucks for a cover advertising BAMA seems high; I don't advertise for free anymore!).
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Generally if you flash back to stock first, and then the dealer does the update, everything will be fine. The only time it can cause an issue is if they also somehow affect the strategy code. So after setting back to stock, use your tuner to pull up the strategy codes and write it down. When you get the car back, before uploading your tune, check the code again.



Rarely happens, but it is possible. I've never had an issue though.

Excellent suggestion
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
The one in the picture is::::

STEEDA
Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else on here work at the factory that builds our cars? PatinMich General Mustang Discussion 0 12-04-2013 10:33 PM
Does Our 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Sound Insane or What?! Read more: VIDEO: Does Our 201 AMDanBailer AmericanMuscle 0 01-27-2012 04:51 PM
Are our elected officials helping the oil industry take our country for a ride? Jorell General Mustang Discussion 9 03-22-2010 12:51 AM
U.S. Defense Department: "They Hate Our Policies, Not Our Freedom" Brent The Bar 2 02-28-2008 06:30 PM
94-98 Factory headers VS 99-04 Factory headers Herbstang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 08-08-2007 05:53 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:32 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.