New update to our factory ECU by ford or another dealership gimmick? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
New update to our factory ECU by ford or another dealership gimmick?

I was on an another mustang forum (TMS), and saw a post about the usual throttle delay troubleshooting. So OP went to dealership, had some tests done by his service manager to see if something is wrong with his car - they had test driven another stock 3.7 auto and felt it was much quicker. Well, dealership guys told him that ford has pushed a new update to our PCMs/ECU and hence the test driven car (brand new) felt more quicker. They flashed his ECU and he reported it felt more responsive after that.

In my opinion, dealership could just have taken fuse #47/negative termimal out to reset the ECU, and thereby pleased the customer with a placebo where he felt his car is more quicker now. Orrrr in fact there could have been a new update released by ford as they suggested. I'm wondering if anyone has come across any such news about the update?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Ford reflashed my V6 about a month and a half or 2 months ago. I didn't notice anything different. How recent is this new flash?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Ford reflashed my V6 about a month and a half or 2 months ago. I didn't notice anything different. How recent is this new flash?
From what I read, they flashed his ECU last week with "supposedly" new software. God knows if it was just a reflash or not lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
From what I read, they flashed his ECU last week with "supposedly" new software. God knows if it was just a reflash or not lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Yeah easily could be a placebo effect. Or maybe the tester had different gears. When I test drove the Mustang it was a white premium with 2.73s and when my personal Mustang came in, I test drove it too and it felt considerably different. Who knows?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Yeah easily could be a placebo effect. Or maybe the tester had different gears. When I test drove the Mustang it was a white premium with 2.73s and when my personal Mustang came in, I test drove it too and it felt considerably different. Who knows?
Yeah that could be the reason too. I honestly feel dealership guys would do whatever it would take for them to save money; nvm the consumer who shelled out $35K to make em richer.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
there is no incentive for the dealer to lie. either they did something or not why make up a story about re-flashing when they could just say we reset?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
there is no incentive for the dealer to lie. either they did something or not why make up a story about re-flashing when they could just say we reset?
Umm to please the customer with a placebo? Since 'update your ecu with new software from ford' would make more sense than resetting it imo lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Trust a dealer? Would a dealer lie? Really! If you ever find what you think is an honest dealer, let me know. Anywhere in the United States. Any make or company. I could stand a good laugh.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Trust a dealer? Would a dealer lie? Really! If you ever find what you think is an honest dealer, let me know. Anywhere in the United States. Any make or company. I could stand a good laugh.
LOL you're asking me to find a single horned unicorn. One of the dealerships I originally went to tried their butt of sell me a mustang I wasn't interested in. I only had made a verbal deal, no money down no insurance nothing.

When I eventually backed out, they were like uh you can't do that. You have already made a deal and that you've to come drive the vehicle off the lot. BS! They can't do anything unless the title has been transfered to your name I.e, has been insured under your name. Arsewipes!!

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and this another time i went to test drive a GT at a Chrysler dealership. They didn't know I own a mustang too and that I know my **** about em; they tried to upsell it as 'very rare limited run California special' edition.. When in fact it was a BASE gt with 17' all season tires, **** rims and just leather seats. Way to go.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I was on an another mustang forum (TMS), and saw a post about the usual throttle delay troubleshooting. So OP went to dealership, had some tests done by his service manager to see if something is wrong with his car - they had test driven another stock 3.7 auto and felt it was much quicker. Well, dealership guys told him that ford has pushed a new update to our PCMs/ECU and hence the test driven car (brand new) felt more quicker. They flashed his ECU and he reported it felt more responsive after that.

In my opinion, dealership could just have taken fuse #47/negative termimal out to reset the ECU, and thereby pleased the customer with a placebo where he felt his car is more quicker now. Orrrr in fact there could have been a new update released by ford as they suggested. I'm wondering if anyone has come across any such news about the update?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Fuse 47... a relay used in automatic transmissions only that resets the "learned" shift points. This however is relearned and set again, so it would only be temporary, and would require removing this relay again. Performing this to obtain a "placebo" effect would have only made the customer more likely to be discouraged with the service department.
Resolving the issue with a new ECU flash to correct the fault was the way to go by Ford. They get my respect on that one.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
They're out there.

In Central Florida, I've had excellent results with my local Ford service (AutoNation Ford of Sanford). Another one was Grapevine Ford in the Dallas, Texas area when I was working out of that area.

I had one recent incident where I had to take an F150 back twice for the same fault. The Sanford Ford dealership was so concerned, they offered up a lonor vehicle, and presented me with a lunch voucher at a local BBQ. It was repaired the second time, and they even did an oil change for me (still had 30% left on the oil monitor).

While I like to pride myself with having some knowledge base on the vehicles I've owned and worked on, I try not to use this as a leverage when talking with a service advisor or mechanic. Mechanics or advisors can get a bit gruffy when someone tries to tell them how to do their job. A box of donuts and a container of coffee goes a long way too. I presented this one Saturday morning to the service guys at the Dallas location when I had to have my new truck serviced under warranty. I always got the royal treatment after that whenever I stepped foot into the service location. This is not required, but does go a long way to establish a good working relationship.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Ford frequently updates software - one of the reasons why they always ask at my dealer if I reflashed to stock when I bring it in. If not then they tell the tech not to do any updates, or it will mess with the custom tune. So the dealer saying to reflash as the OP says isn't all unusual.

I did just get a reflash done, but it didn't do anything for performance as far as I could tell. It was something to do with the emissions system. But they loaded all the updates that they had missed before since it was back to stock for this one at the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Ford frequently updates software - one of the reasons why they always ask at my dealer if I reflashed to stock when I bring it in. If not then they tell the tech not to do any updates, or it will mess with the custom tune. So the dealer saying to reflash as the OP says isn't all unusual.

I did just get a reflash done, but it didn't do anything for performance as far as I could tell. It was something to do with the emissions system. But they loaded all the updates that they had missed before since it was back to stock for this one at the time.
Good point. It's wise to mention to a service advisor to make a note on the repair ticket to not flash the ECU when you bring your car in for service unless they contact you first.

I've read in other post topics where a car was brought in for something like an interior or lighting issue, and the mechanic saw that a ECU update was issued for the car. They installed the ECU flash while the vehicle was in for the other repair. Again, if a car is under warranty, it's assumed by the dealer it is "stock".
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Believe it or don't believe it-'this is a good thing'

As Ford finds little flaws or any way to improve the emissions or performance by updating the CPU they like to do it.
This is good for us with no tunes but not good for anyone that does have a tune.
American muscle as well as Steeda sells a little item that plugs your CPU input plug and tells the dealer not to update your car. It is worth buying if you have a tune.

AM's click here> http://www.americanmuscle.com/bama-odbii-cover.html

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If the dealer re-flashes the ECU, will current tunes still load and work? Or do new tunes need to be written based on the re-flashed tune?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
If the dealer re-flashes the ECU, will current tunes still load and work? Or do new tunes need to be written based on the re-flashed tune?
Generally if you flash back to stock first, and then the dealer does the update, everything will be fine. The only time it can cause an issue is if they also somehow affect the strategy code. So after setting back to stock, use your tuner to pull up the strategy codes and write it down. When you get the car back, before uploading your tune, check the code again.

Rarely happens, but it is possible. I've never had an issue though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
As Ford finds little flaws or any way to improve the emissions or performance by updating the CPU they like to do it.
This is good for us with no tunes but not good for anyone that does have a tune.
American muscle as well as Steeda sells a little item that plugs your CPU input plug and tells the dealer not to update your car. It is worth buying if you have a tune.

AM's click here> Bama Performance Mustang OBDII Port Cover - Free Shipping

Ronnie
If it would have said "Do not Flash", I may have bought it (although 14 bucks for a cover advertising BAMA seems high; I don't advertise for free anymore!).
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Generally if you flash back to stock first, and then the dealer does the update, everything will be fine. The only time it can cause an issue is if they also somehow affect the strategy code. So after setting back to stock, use your tuner to pull up the strategy codes and write it down. When you get the car back, before uploading your tune, check the code again.

Rarely happens, but it is possible. I've never had an issue though.

Excellent suggestion
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The one in the picture is::::

STEEDA
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang