Minimizing rasp with l/t's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Minimizing rasp with l/t's

First off, I have been stalking this forum for a while and its been very helpful so I figured it was about that time to finally register. Hello everybody!

Now back on topic.. I am interested in purchasing a set of l/t's with matching x pipe. Current mods are Steeda intake, tune and s-type axle backs. I love how my setup sounds now but am interested in adding a little more power with the help of long tubes. My concern, however, is that they are unbearably raspy and loud.

What would you guys suggest would be the best setup for me? I recently discovered the bassani headers with catted x pipes which seem to be a little more mellow and not as raspy, although I have never heard them in person and they are considerably more expensive than other brands. Or should I go with the bbk or borla l/t's w/ x pipe and add a resonator? Any suggestions welcomed, thanks.
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you don't want rasp and extreme loudness get a shorty H pipe instead of the X with the longtubes. That Will make the biggest change rather than adding resonators.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Never considered the H-Pipe. I will definitely look into that, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So you consider your s types loud and raspy right now? But you love your current set up?

To help control sound maintain cats in the system as that will help control the sound.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
First off, I have been stalking this forum for a while and its been very helpful so I figured it was about that time to finally register. Hello everybody!

Now back on topic.. I am interested in purchasing a set of l/t's with matching x pipe. Current mods are Steeda intake, tune and s-type axle backs. I love how my setup sounds now but am interested in adding a little more power with the help of long tubes. My concern, however, is that they are unbearably raspy and loud.

What would you guys suggest would be the best setup for me? I recently discovered the bassani headers with catted x pipes which seem to be a little more mellow and not as raspy, although I have never heard them in person and they are considerably more expensive than other brands. Or should I go with the bbk or borla l/t's w/ x pipe and add a resonator? Any suggestions welcomed, thanks.
If you don't want loud and raspy, respectfully don't get long tube headers and off road x pipe. I have BBK long tube headers, BBK o/r x pipe along with Flowmaster axle backs and my exhaust sound is sweet music to my ears. Love the tone and love that raspy sound. Its sex on wheels. Ha ha ha

Also welcome to the forum. Based on what you want , perhaps you should look into short tube headers and H mid pipe. That may be more to your liking. For me, I'm all about my long tubes and o/r x pipe!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No, I meant with headers it would be raspy and loud. Even with the cats it can still be quite raspy. It's a tough decision because once I get something installed but then don't like it I'm pretty much stuck.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

May just go bassani headers. Carted x pipe and if it's still too much than I'll add resonators.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
American muscle has the mac ceramic long tube headers on sale this month. They have the matching prochamber mid pipe. Not sure how it sounds, I've been searching for videos.but can't find any.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I really think u should nix the header idea maybe. U r gonna get some rasp with them period. I am not completely sold on the cost per dollar on headers with the coyote. $1200-1500 installed for what, 15 hp at the wheels? I am happy with oem for now. Planned on lts and cams when I bought this beast, but just not like the old school stuff in that regard.
I would just find the right axel back that sounds best for u, paired with a cai and tune and call it a day.
Good luck.
Troy
Old 04-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
On the 3.7 I found that LTS with or without catts sound generally terrible. I was originally going LTS but after hearing many different setups I decided to go shorties. I understand that LTS produce more high end power than shorties but for a dd I just couldn't live with the sound, i love loud but not sounding like a mess, If it was primarily a track car I would have gone with them for the better performance but that is the extent of it 4 me. There a couple of setups I did like......BBK LTS with catted x and flows/ Borla touring. Op to minimize rasp with LTS you absolutely have to go with a quiet AB, but even then you can't completely eliminate it, but some rasp is not all that bad IMO.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
On the 3.7 I found that LTS with or without catts sound generally terrible. I was originally going LTS but after hearing many different setups I decided to go shorties. I understand that LTS produce more high end power than shorties but for a dd I just couldn't live with the sound, i love loud but not sounding like a mess, If it was primarily a track car I would have gone with them for the better performance but that is the extent of it 4 me. There a couple of setups I did like......BBK LTS with catted x and flows/ Borla touring. Op to minimize rasp with LTS you absolutely have to go with a quiet AB, but even then you can't completely eliminate it, but some rasp is not all that bad IMO.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
I completely respect your opinion about not being a fan of LT's on the 3.7, however I couldn't disagree more. I have Lt's and off road x pipe on my 3.7 and its sweet music to my ears. I absolutely love the tone and how aggressive the car sounds. It has a great aggressive growl at start up and aggressive loud tone at WOT. It sounds like a beast under WOT and the car sounds amazing to my ears.

Of course , this is all subjective and everybody has their own tone that's pleasing to there ear drums. Ha ha ha
Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What AB you running? I did say generally and not all. Lol. IMO a loud AB like Roush, pipes, outlaws even ataks sound very messy with LTs. As most of you all know I'm a huge fan of loud but LTS requires balance in the exhaust line. This is just my option and exhaust preference goes from one end of the spectrum to the other with no right or wrong just personal preference.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What AB you running?

Flowmaster Force II axle backs good sir.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

This was one of the two options that I thought sounded awesome. mustang v6 bbk and flowmaster exhaust: http://youtu.be/IORozBso1WA

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Some people don't like the tiny sound that comes from them but in my opinion sound really good, race car good! When I was going with LTS I was going this exact set up because for me it sounded great! But my wife wasn't to fond of it. There was another set up with touring that sounded really good also.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This was one of the two options that I thought sounded awesome. mustang v6 bbk and flowmaster exhaust: http://youtu.be/IORozBso1WA

Sweet. We now can be BFF's . Ha ha ha ha!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Sweet. We now can be BFF's . Ha ha ha ha!
Lol. Arnt we already? Lol

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
When I stop finding deals on performance parts I can get back to my original plan with the macs. I believe the 1 5/8 tubes on the macs will make the car sound better than the 1 3/4 headers due to not losing low end back pressure. All shorties are 1 5/8s and sound better and make low-mid range torque. The mac lts should be good thru the entire rpm range.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
I really think u should nix the header idea maybe. U r gonna get some rasp with them period. I am not completely sold on the cost per dollar on headers with the coyote. $1200-1500 installed for what, 15 hp at the wheels? I am happy with oem for now. Planned on lts and cams when I bought this beast, but just not like the old school stuff in that regard.
I would just find the right axel back that sounds best for u, paired with a cai and tune and call it a day.
Good luck.
Troy
Already have the cai tune and s type axle backs but that's the thing.. There aren't really many other options (besides forced induction) to increase power after what I have besides headers and midpipe, gears and maybe a throttle body.. so I figure I want to get the most of the options i have left by going long tubes. (I'm addicted to more hp lol) Anybody hear the bassani headers in person?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol. Arnt we already? Lol

I thought so but just wanted to make sure you knew we were bff's. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang