3:31 to 3:73 Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
3:31 to 3:73 Gears

This is for all the people that want to get or thinking of getting 3:73 gears. DO IT! the car is more response, the car stays in the power band and when I'm in first gear and I tap the gas it jumps.. Soo Good!. This is my setup. MT w/Performance Package, CAI and Bama 91 Hybrid. . Next mod will be shorties. I'm very happy with the gears

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Sweet! I have exact same mods as yours, with shorties to follow once I get my tax returns. I have been going back n forth between going or not going for 3.73 from my current 3.31s. Reason being I drive 85% hwy and I don't wanna kill my mileage lol let me know what you get.

Atm I'm thinking about getting MPT tune to compensate the sluggishness down low

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
fknjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: McAllen
Region: Texas
Posts: 113
What are the pros and cons of changing them? I've been curious about it. I live in city so very little highway driving, if that's helpful or not.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknjulian View Post
What are the pros and cons of changing them? I've been curious about it. I live in city so very little highway driving, if that's helpful or not.
Pros: more smiles per gallon, instant acceleration and more fun to drive.

Con's: dent in your wallet (installation $$$ could turn out to be a biatch, find a reputable shop to do em), slightly lesser gas mileage since you will be staying in high rpms.

But since you're a city driver, 3.73s are perfect for you. Faster off the line launches.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
Congrats man enjoy. I was quoted $850 including installation and parts by a very reputable shop by me. It's a little pricey but these 2.73s ain't cutting it.. can't wait!
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Congrats man enjoy. I was quoted $850 including installation and parts by a very reputable shop by me. It's a little pricey but these 2.73s ain't cutting it.. can't wait!
Realistically speaking, it shouldn't be more than $650-700 including ALL the bearing/seals/shims. Maybe look around if you can find a good deal

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Realistically speaking, it shouldn't be more than $650-700 including ALL the bearing/seals/shims. Maybe look around if you can find a good deal

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Yea it definitely is on the high side but the plus is that the shop is within walking distance from my job so I could drop off in the morning then walk there and pick it up when I get off.

Just makes the whole deal of not having the car for the day easy.
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Congrats man enjoy. I was quoted $850 including installation and parts by a very reputable shop by me. It's a little pricey but these 2.73s ain't cutting it.. can't wait!
Just did my gears yesterday, 273s - 3.73s. Can't wait to be able to step on it and see what these bad boys can do!!!!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Just did my gears yesterday, 273s - 3.73s. Can't wait to be able to step on it and see what these bad boys can do!!!!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Sweet! let us know how you like em. I'm interested to hear since I'll be going the same route as you. I'm sure it will make a huge difference!
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I went from 2:73 gears to 3:73 gears in my 3.7 and two words folks. FREAKING AWESOME! Stop thinking about it, stop dreaming about better off line acceleration, pick up the phone, get online and order those 3:73 gears. Be the stud that gets to bang the prom queen and every guy wants to be. Why settle for having 4 inches of furry when you can step up to the plate and have the 12 inches you always wanted.

Stop worrying about should I go with blah blah blah gear ratio. Go with 3:73 gears and you WILL NOT be disappointed.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I went from 2:73 gears to 3:73 gears in my 3.7 and two words folks. FREAKING AWESOME! Stop thinking about it, stop dreaming about better off line acceleration, pick up the phone, get online and order those 3:73 gears. Be the stud that gets to bang the prom queen and every guy wants to be. Why settle for having 4 inches of furry when you can step up to the plate and have the 12 inches you always wanted. Stop worrying about should I go with blah blah blah gear ratio. Go with 3:73 gears and you WILL NOT be disappointed.
Y not 4.10s? Lmao.
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Y not 4.10s? Lmao.
Funny you mention 4:10's because having 6 speeds , 4:10's are a big hell yeah. Especially if you have an automatic like me. A big heck yeah for 4:10's as well. Ha ha ha
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Funny you mention 4:10's because having 6 speeds , 4:10's are a big hell yeah. Especially if you have an automatic like me. A big heck yeah for 4:10's as well. Ha ha ha
I'm gonna go with 4.56s in my manual FTW! Thug life! Lmao.
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I'm gonna go with 4.56s in my manual FTW! Thug life! Lmao.
Lmao. Do it bro. I double dog dare ya! Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lmao. Do it bro. I double dog dare ya! Lol
Lmao. F*ck it it's my DD too! But who cares..Thug life!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Lmao. F*ck it it's my DD too! But who cares..Thug life!
Now your talking bro! Thug life bro.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Now your talking bro! Thug life bro.
Hell yea bro! Haha. Thug life is the only way to live!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Hell yea bro! Haha. Thug life is the only way to live!
Sheeet. Then I'm throwing some 22's on and some spinners. Ha ha ha
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Sheeet. Then I'm throwing some 22's on and some spinners. Ha ha ha
Lmao. Hell yea bro! Hahaha.
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
No highjacking.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
No highjacking.
Sorry!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
My apologies back to gears..
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Sweet! I have exact same mods as yours, with shorties to follow once I get my tax returns. I have been going back n forth between going or not going for 3.73 from my current 3.31s. Reason being I drive 85% hwy and I don't wanna kill my mileage lol let me know what you get.

Atm I'm thinking about getting MPT tune to compensate the sluggishness down low

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Luckily my work is 5mins away. Yeah it will change your mpg..but who cares we are here for a reason right? We either want more power or looks or just both...just do it.. im very happy with the gears and I can't wait for my shorties.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
UPDATE: Gears are awesome!!! Mpg not so much. Very happy have the car feels. Now I want to get shorties but then I want a procharger but then im reading on the new turbo thats coming out or already out...what to do...get the GEARs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
No highjacking.

This entire forum is one big thread hijack
wicked2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked2v View Post
This entire forum is one big thread hijack
???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #27
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
I agree 3.73 gears a very much worth if for 11-14 v6 manual Mustangs. It really helps the low end power this cars could use. Although, I wouldn't go much higher than 3.73's with this transmission, since it doesn't have the same gear ratios as previous Mustangs.

Anyways, I'm glad to see you're enjoying the new gears OP! Any plans to hit the track?

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 2.3 rear axle gears and 5.0 rear axle gears 93mstnglx 2.3 Mustang 9 07-07-2013 06:12 PM
4:10 gears vs 4:30 gears SwatKatz901 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 03-24-2012 04:17 PM
3:55 Gears vs 3:73 gears 06Blue 2005-2010 Mustang GT 19 01-04-2012 07:57 PM
NEED HELP WITH GEARS!! Motive 4.10 gears? Cant find ford racing? Camaro Eater Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 06-23-2010 11:57 AM
Factory Gears Vs. Racing Gears tire Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 07-21-2003 05:02 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:28 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.