Spacers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Spacers

So I'm thinking about getting spacers to put on the front and back wheels. I really like how the 1.5" look on the back wheels but I think it maybe to wide for the front. Do you guys think I should go for the 1" in the front or none in the front at all? Here's some pics of my mustang .Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397971492.679418.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	683.7 KB
ID:	154559Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397971542.232529.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	795.3 KB
ID:	154560Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397971577.917243.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	895.6 KB
ID:	154561
willmorg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I put 1" on my back and it looks great, I might get .5" for the front. I would get .5" or 1" for the front if I were you.
arwilliams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilliams2 View Post
I put 1" on my back and it looks great, I might get .5" for the front. I would get .5" or 1" for the front if I were you.

Yea, I kinda want that staggered look. Can I see some pics of your tire set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My car is at the shop right now having a new exhaust put on but I will send some when I get it back.
arwilliams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Here's an FYI from the H&R installation instructions (instruction #7) for their spacers on American Muscle:

"NOTE" Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."

Here's the link.

Perhaps the stress dynamics are different for the front wheels as opposed to the back wheels. If anyone has put larger than 1/4" spacers on the front wheel, I'd like to know how they're holding up.
Thank.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Here's an FYI from the H&R installation instructions (instruction #7) for their spacers on American Muscle:

"NOTE" Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."

Here's the link.

Perhaps the stress dynamics are different for the front wheels as opposed to the back wheels. If anyone has put larger than 1/4" spacers on the front wheel, I'd like to know how they're holding up.
Thank.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. And yes, if anyone has put larger than 1/4" spacers on the front wheel, I'd also like to know how they're holding up.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorg19 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. And yes, if anyone has put larger than 1/4" spacers on the front wheel, I'd also like to know how they're holding up.
Ronnie just answered this issue at this link, and the answer is that it is not recommended.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorg19 View Post

I have 1" on the front...they seem to be fine...what can happen?
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
Click on this link and read post #4 by Ronnie948. It appears the stresses on the front wheels are entirely different then on the back wheels. The manufacturers instruction #7 for the installation of the spacers on American Muscle indicate the following:

"NOTE: Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."

Just looking out for a forum member
Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Click on this link and read post #4 by Ronnie948. It appears the stresses on the front wheels are entirely different then on the back wheels. The manufacturers instruction #7 for the installation of the spacers on American Muscle indicate the following:

"NOTE: Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."

Just looking out for a forum member

That link doesn't work
Old 04-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
That link doesn't work
Try this one 10mm spacers and stock lug studs
Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How many miles have you drove with the spacers on the front?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang Wheel Spacers with longer wheel studs. Check out our kits. pretty much has it all
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How many miles have you drove with the spacers on the front?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

2000....I still don't get what can go wrong with them? It drives and handles fine.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just read that other thread...it does make a lot of sense. I think I might just take them off the front. Don't need any problems with my wheels breaking off lol...I've checked them a few times and they look fine. But.... I do take some...let's call it "spirited drives" in that car so it's probably best to take them off.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Just read that other thread...it does make a lot of sense. I think I might just take them off the front. Don't need any problems with my wheels breaking off lol...I've checked them a few times and they look fine. But.... I do take some...let's call it "spirited drives" in that car so it's probably best to take them off.
I've been searching other Mustang forums and it seems the major majority have installed the spacers on the rear wheels. It's very hard to find someone that has installed them on the front wheels. Since your Mustang is new, I would drop by the dealer or a reputable local tire outfit and get their opinion. I love to mod my car, but it's always safety first when it comes to the wheels, tires, and breaks. At a minimum, your car will have that nice staggered look with the spacers on the rear wheels. That's one of the most common applications of the spacers on the rear wheels that I've read so far. Just my 2 cents

Edit: BTY, I found this bit of info on ModdedMustangs.com:
"With the way that the wheel/hub is supported by the bearings, this is a bigger issue on the front than it is on the rear. While I'd suggest running wheels with the appropriate offset rather than spacers, plenty of people do run spacers on the rear of these cars without trouble."
Here's the thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-bearings.html
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If I were to space my wheels, I'd do the front and back. I don't like the staggered look unless the rears are actually wider than the front. I'm interested in knowing why putting them on the front isn't advised.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
If I were to space my wheels, I'd do the front and back. I don't like the staggered look unless the rears are actually wider than the front. I'm interested in knowing why putting them on the front isn't advised.
I've supplied links and quotes for your reading pleasure throughout this thread. I was going to do the same thing as well, until I read the manufacturerers installation note on American Muscle indicating that spacers larger than 1/4" on the front wheels are not recommended. Do what you like, but be aware that the stresses on the lug studs and bearings differ from the rear wheels compared to the front wheels. Why not call a local speed shop and see what their opinion is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang