Cold air intake.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cold air intake..

I have a 2011 v6 standard mustang and I want to get an air raid cai but I wanted to know if there is a noticeable sound difference?
XxVenomxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yes it will have more of a growl but don't expect a ton of power tho.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
+1 other than sound and eye candy its not worth it. You will hear some say better throttle response but with my experience I felt 0 difference with just the CAI. Maybe down your modding line it will help but just a CAI really does nothing.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

But can't you just put a tune to make it work better with the intake?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVenomxX View Post
A tune alone will be a better mod!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a tune. I ran the tune with and without the CAI. No difference, the stock air box is very efficient and flows very well, but the CAI does sound nice. IMO if your just starting out with mods I'd spend the 300$ elsewhere like a tuner, gears, exhaust etc. IMO a CAI is something to do down the line but not one of your first mods.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
OP,
Honestly a cold air intake is a nice waste of money.
The stock air box flows well enough, and aftermarket one will only sound slightly different (steeda has a slight whistle)
If I were you, I'd put my money towards gears, or a tuner.
Just my .02
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I was going to buy the AM CAI AND BAMATUNER COMBO but not no more.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think AM has gear and tuner combos. That's gonna be my next purchase down the line for sure. Just gotta figure out which ones I want....
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what I got, it was on special but knowing what I know now I would have so gone with the tuner/gear combo. I just did my gears Friday and can tell you its a HUGE difference! You still have The installation to pay for the gears but its soooo much more worth it even if you have to save for a bit.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I put a k&n filter in my stock airbox this week. 50$ for the filter and i instantly noticed my mpg went up 2 points. As for sound and performance im prob just trippin, but im convinced it made a difference
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

I think I've convinced myself my CAI made a difference just to make myself feel better about the cost of it. Lol but it does add a neat sound. Tune and gears is sooo much better though

11' 3.7, some simple bolts ons
kale3point7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I just installed the c&l cai on my car yesterday. It sounds great but performance wise my mind is playing tricks on me so I'm not sure yet.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I have a 2011 v6 standard mustang and I want to get an air raid cai but I wanted to know if there is a noticeable sound difference?
Why not do a search on the subject? You'll get a ton of links on the never ending discussion on the cold air intake. Some are actually on-going. Enjoy
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Why not do a search on the subject? You'll get a ton of links on the never ending discussion on the cold air intake. Some are actually on-going. Enjoy
Yep. CAI, exhaust, and tuners are the 3 most talked about topics in this section, and on most other sections of this site as well. Before you type the words "CAI", or "exhaust", or "tuner" in the search box and then the enter key, be sure to grab a beverage of choice; there's gonna be a lot of posts to read through to get lots and lots of opinions to make your choices from.

And welcome aboard!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
not sure where you guys are getting the CAI is a waste of money, the CAI alone wont make huge power gains but its a lot less restrictive then stock..

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The factory airbox is not restrictive, that's what we are saying.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
not sure where you guys are getting the CAI is a waste of money, the CAI alone wont make huge power gains but its a lot less restrictive then stock..
About 95% of the CAI's that are sold flow identical to the stock air box. Ford did their homework when they designed the 3.7 V6; the intake and exhaust are tuned very well to this engine.

Only a few CAI's that are sold will provide any real benefit over stock, and those are advertised to work only with a tune (sold as a package). In order to flow higher numbers (air), it would require a throttle body addition as well.

Most folks think they are getting more power, only because the aftermarket CAI provides a roar when the drive be wire pedal is stomped. This is due to the sound deadener that the stock air intake has that the CAI's do not. But they are eye candy under the hood.

If it were me, I'd go with a tuner and gears for best improvement over stock.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
About 95% of the CAI's that are sold flow identical to the stock air box. Ford did their homework when they designed the 3.7 V6; the intake and exhaust are tuned very well to this engine.

Only a few CAI's that are sold will provide any real benefit over stock, and those are advertised to work only with a tune (sold as a package). In order to flow higher numbers (air), it would require a throttle body addition as well.

Most folks think they are getting more power, only because the aftermarket CAI provides a roar when the drive be wire pedal is stomped. This is due to the sound deadener that the stock air intake has that the CAI's do not. But they are eye candy under the hood.

If it were me, I'd go with a tuner and gears for best improvement over stock.

Cutting that sound deadener off would be DOPE. U know if anyone just sells a replacement tube without it??
Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

How many here have just done a K&N drop in? I really do love the sound of a CAI,but not for 300.00.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Cutting that sound deadener off would be DOPE. U know if anyone just sells a replacement tube without it??
I did this. I wrote it up sometime last year.

I used a dremel tool with the round cutting disc. Then I used fiberglass matt and the resin to cover the hole left behind; the hard part was to get the matt to "curve" to match the rest of the stock tube. I used a ruler to poke the matt outward from inside the tube until it all set up. When it dried, I sanded it smooth, then painted it black.

Instant sound!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
How many here have just done a K&N drop in? I really do love the sound of a CAI,but not for 300.00.

I do. Had it in for a week, throttle response seems better. Exhaust sounds la lil deeper too but it could be in my head
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I did this. I wrote it up sometime last year.

I used a dremel tool with the round cutting disc. Then I used fiberglass matt and the resin to cover the hole left behind; the hard part was to get the matt to "curve" to match the rest of the stock tube. I used a ruler to poke the matt outward from inside the tube until it all set up. When it dried, I sanded it smooth, then painted it black.

Instant sound!

That sounds way better than buy an aftermarket cai. Everything ive read says stock airbox flows great. I thought abt cuttin off the deadener, but ford told me a cai is a no no so i imagine they wont be very happy if i cut the stocker.

Anybody wanna sell their stock intake?? Lol
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
That sounds way better than buy an aftermarket cai. Everything ive read says stock airbox flows great. I thought abt cuttin off the deadener, but ford told me a cai is a no no so i imagine they wont be very happy if i cut the stocker.

I do lol
Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
I do lol

$$$?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$$$?
100? I live on long island. Would have to figure something out with shipping. It only has 400 miles on it.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Keep shopping around I found this on craigslist for $120 local sale.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If money is tight, a tune is the best power adder you can buy.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

There is a stock intake for sale right now in the Classified section. I also posted a thread in the DIY area explaining how I disabled my silencer.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
No faith in the aftermarket CAI. However, if you see someone at the drag strip running very well, ask them what they did and follow their advice. A low time slip is proof of what works. Everything else is crap. You want a CAI and wondered if it makes a different noise? You must be about the same age as my lawn mower. Just kidding, have fun.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I would sell my stock intake for $70. let me know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake