10mm spacers and stock lug studs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
10mm spacers and stock lug studs

I've done some searching and it seems like this is a 50/50 question...

Can I run a 10mm spacer with the stock lug studs?

I have some new wheels but I want them to sit a little more flush and 10mm should do it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Go here and read the information on each one

American Muscle Spacers:

2010-2014 Mustang Wheel Spacers & Wheel Studs*|*AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Just be sure to get the one's that will work on your stock wheels if that is the wheels you will be using.
Get a Torque wrench and some blue locktite.
There are a few posts already on this forum about "WHEEL SPACERS"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
American Muscle Spacers:

2010-2014 Mustang Wheel Spacers & Wheel Studs*|*AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Just be sure to get the one's that will work on your stock wheels if that is the wheels you will be using.
Get a Torque wrench and some blue locktite.
There are a few posts already on this forum about "WHEEL SPACERS"
Ronnie
OP: I don't mean to jack this thread, but I thought this question might be relavent to other members. My apologies.

Ronnie: I've read alot about your experiences with spaces and read this from the H&R installation instructions (instruction #7) for their spacers on American Muscle:

"NOTE" Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."

Here's the link.

In your experience, have there ever been issues with going larger than 1/4" on the front wheels? Thanks in advance
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Back in the 60's and early 70's it was learned not to do front wheels

After a few incidents with front wheels coming off due to the studs holding the spacers on snapping off. Nobody I knew ever used them on the front wheels again.
That was back then. The materials are probably much better now then in those days but I personally would never put them on the front wheels. When properly installed on the rear wheels I have never heard of a problem.

An old racer once told me it is because the front wheels turn and cause to much side pressure when turning at speed causing the spacers to crush just enough for the lugs on them to come loose. I don't know if this is true or not but it does make a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, Most guy's would use the spacers on the back wheels to use wide, wide wheels and tires but did not want or need them on the front because the skinny front wheel set-up was in vogue at that time. You could go to the speed shop and order wheels that were a different size for the rear and some off-set wheels for the front that looked the basically same. I guess you can still do that. Creiger was the one's of choice back then. They had all sizes and looked good.

Some street rods still need to use spacers on the rear wheels so the tires don't rub the body. Depending on what wheels the owner likes because they don't like the very deep dish look but need the space.

The big secrete is just to buy quality spacers, Use Blue Locktite and get a torque wrench to tighten the lugs holding the spacer on to 100ft-pds. VERY IMPORTANT after installing them and you drive for 50 to 75 miles. Pull off the wheels and check the torque on the spacers. after doing that, You will never have a problem.
Do NOT use locktite on the lug nuts holding your wheel on.

As for this:
Quote:
"NOTE" Spacers larger than 1/4" are intended for rear wheel use only."
I would think the old racer was on to something and I would not use any spacers on my front wheels at all.
Ronnie
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks Ronnie. The logic of not using spacers larger than 1/4" on the front wheels is right in line with my thinking as well as the manufacturers quote. There is a member that just did this on all four wheels and I hope he reads the threads I've posted this info on. I would hate to see any possible damage happen to that sweet Mustang he's modding. Anyway, thanks again.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No Problem

It's good to not over ride what the Manufacture say's. If they suggest no more then 1/4 spacers there has to be a very good reason.

Now, People with big bucks ($$$$$) can just buy wheels with an increased offset to put them out but then you have the deep dish look.

Ain't nothing easy.
Ronnie
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It's good to not over ride what the Manufacture say's. If they suggest no more then 1/4 spacers there has to be a very good reason.

Now, People with big bucks ($$$$$) can just buy wheels with an increased offset to put them out but then you have the deep dish look.

Ain't nothing easy.
Ronnie
Heck, I've always liked the semi deep dish look on the Bullitt style wheels anyways. And those are fairly reasonably priced. Anyway, no worries and thanks again for the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang