Automatic Tramsmission Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Automatic Tramsmission Issue

So this isn't really a huge issue but for the last week or so I have been noticing my car revs up before it shifts into 3rd gear. This happens with casual driving, not flooring it or even pressing the gas hard. Almost feels like the car cant catch the gear, it revs for a split second then catches. It is a 2014 automatic with only 3800 miles and I'm afraid to bring it into the dealer because I have a few mods done that will void my warranty. Anybody ever deal with something like this before?
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What mods do you have that you think will void your warranty?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

bama tune and steeda cai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Did the BAMA tune change or alter the shift points of the automatic?

Try putting the stock tune back in and see if the transmission shifts clear up. If they do, call bama. If they don't, take it in for warranty service, even though they will be able to detect it was flashed at one point, they most likely will correct the fault (if any).
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on what Bucko says.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did the BAMA tune change or alter the shift points of the automatic?

Try putting the stock tune back in and see if the transmission shifts clear up. If they do, call bama. If they don't, take it in for warranty service, even though they will be able to detect it was flashed at one point, they most likely will correct the fault (if any).
I'm currently running the race tune which does alter shift points I believe. Is it safe to run my stock tune with the steeda? I know they "require" a tune with it. Im going to try the street tune for now which is the least aggressive of the three (and I think uses stock shift points) and see if the problem persists.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If the steeda CAI requires a tune, then I'd say yes, use their tune, as their CAI may cause a lean mixture with the stock tune. Only their customer support can answer that though.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My MPT 93 octane race tune does this too. Not everytime, just sometimes. I 'think' the race tunes are made more for full throttle use than driving around town. I run my race tune all the time.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My MPT 93 octane race tune does this too. Not everytime, just sometimes. I 'think' the race tunes are made more for full throttle use than driving around town. I run my race tune all the time.
Yea it was the tune. I switched to the street tune and the problem stopped. But I just ordered a mpt race tune today hope the problem doesn't reappear lol.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A race tune is not really recommended for street use.

You would be much better off not using a race tune for your street driving. I'm sure it is not recommended by anyone selling the tunes. They have better tunes for your street driving without having any problems.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You would be much better off not using a race tune for your street driving. I'm sure it is not recommended by anyone selling the tunes. They have better tunes for your street driving without having any problems.
Ronnie
Ronnie, you are probably right. I just love having the power there if I "need" it lol.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Ronnie, you are probably right. I just love having the power there if I "need" it lol.
Why not just drop from drive into sport mode then? If you're already cruising in drive, shifting down to sport mode drops a gear. If that's not enough for some reason, just hit the rocker to drop down lower.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Why not just drop from drive into sport mode then? If you're already cruising in drive, shifting down to sport mode drops a gear. If that's not enough for some reason, just hit the rocker to drop down lower.
I do a majority of my driving in sport mode.. but like most people on this forum were all looking to get the most out of our cars with more hp/tq. The race tune setting does that.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do a majority of my driving in sport mode.. but like most people on this forum were all looking to get the most out of our cars with more hp/tq. The race tune setting does that.
Ah, ok. I only ever drive in sport mode so I always make sure to take every chance I get to preach about its wonders, lol. Is your street tune still more power than your stock?
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Ah, ok. I only ever drive in sport mode so I always make sure to take every chance I get to preach about its wonders, lol. Is your street tune still more power than your stock?
Absolutely a difference compared to stock. I run all my tunes with 93 fuel so that helps. Here's a video showing dyno results from stock to the 93 street tune. Showed a gain of about 16ft/lb tq and 12 hp with just the tune added.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great information Mike

After seeing the video I would really go for the 93 street tune for 99% of the usable torque and power that is better at the lower RPM's
What it means is if someone pulls up next to you, The added torque at lower RPS's would let you get it on a lot faster and get the jump on them.
They will have a hard time catching you.

With the Race tune you get all the power at higher RPM's and lose some torque at the lower end. Good for high speed racing or auto X-ing but not as usable on the normal type street driving.

Driving around with the 6th. gear locked out will be the way to go with the race tune but look at all the gas used and wear & tear your putting on your engine.

No, I would go for the 93 street tune if all my driving is going to be on the street.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Absolutely a difference compared to stock. I run all my tunes with 93 fuel so that helps. Here's a video showing dyno results from stock to the 93 street tune. Showed a gain of about 16ft/lb tq and 12 hp with just the tune added.

If you want the best of both worlds go with a set of gears for low end torque (3.73 for manual and 4.10s for autos) and the 93race tune for high end power. The stock gears are the Achilles heel of our cars, especially the 2.73s,not necessarily the tune. I'm currently running 3.73s in a manual with the 93race tune and its really incredible how these 3.7s move from off the line and pull to red line! You can put any tune, 87-89-91-93 race, street,hybrid with the stock gears and though it will pull better than it did, its the gears that will make a HUGE difference! Gear/ tuner combo should be the first performance mods.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I run 91 MPT, 91 Steeda and Bama hybrid tune and have never experienced this issue the OP has on my 2011 3.7..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I run 91 MPT, 91 Steeda and Bama hybrid tune and have never experienced this issue the OP has on my 2011 3.7..
What tune would you recommend Steeda or mpt? I'm currently leaning towards mpt but Steeda is right there also. The shifting issue wouldn't affect me as I'm manual so basically it would just be all motor. Lol

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

What tune would you recommend Steeda or mpt? I'm currently leaning towards mpt but Steeda is right there also. The shifting issue wouldn't affect me as I'm manual so basically it would just be all motor. Lol

MPT is an amazing tune bro. It pulls the hardest but doesn't have free tunes for life. I would spend the 75 dollars and get the MPT tune. You will love.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
MPT is an amazing tune bro. It pulls the hardest but doesn't have free tunes for life. I would spend the 75 dollars and get the MPT tune. You will love.
Right on, thanks bro!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Right on, thanks bro!

Yeah man. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want the best of both worlds go with a set of gears for low end torque (3.73 for manual and 4.10s for autos) and the 93race tune for high end power. The stock gears are the Achilles heel of our cars, especially the 2.73s,not necessarily the tune. I'm currently running 3.73s in a manual with the 93race tune and its really incredible how these 3.7s move from off the line and pull to red line! You can put any tune, 87-89-91-93 race, street,hybrid with the stock gears and though it will pull better than it did, its the gears that will make a HUGE difference! Gear/ tuner combo should be the first performance mods.

Quote:
I just booked my appointment to get 3.73s. I hear a lot of people saying go with the 4.10s but I just can't bring myself to run such a tall gear with all the highway driving I do. I also decided to give mpt a try and ordered their performance tune w/ race shift a few days ago, should be here in a couple days. I check my email every afternoon hoping it came like a kid on Christmas morning lol. I'm pumped! I hear the tune even chirps the tires on an automatic into second nd third gear.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just booked my appointment to get 3.73s. I hear a lot of people saying go with the 4.10s but I just can't bring myself to run such a tall gear with all the highway driving I do. I also decided to give mpt a try and ordered their performance tune w/ race shift a few days ago, should be here in a couple days. I check my email every afternoon hoping it came like a kid on Christmas morning lol. I'm pumped! I hear the tune even chirps the tires on an automatic into second nd third gear.
Your gonna love it! My shop advised me to a 150km break in period before pushing it. I'm so glad I didn't go anything more than 3.73s, for me it would have been to much. The car feels fantastic now! Mpt is on my to do list.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It most certainly does chirp 2 and 3rd gear in automatics. I can attest to that bro. That's fact. Lmao
Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Wooo! I'm excited lol
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So you guys recommend 3.73 over the 4.10 gears? Cause I really want some take off speed but I do a lot of high way driving.. Any idea what kinda revs we would be talkin bout going 80? Lol
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
So you guys recommend 3.73 over the 4.10 gears? Cause I really want some take off speed but I do a lot of high way driving.. Any idea what kinda revs we would be talkin bout going 80? Lol
80 MPH with 3:73 gears. Around 2600 rpm's. If you have an automatic go with 4:10's. Manual go with 3:73 gears.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang