Mid pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mid pipe

Looking to pull the trigger on a mid pipe here soon. Just not sure which to run. Thinking I wana run no cats. I'm currently running with bbk ceramic shortys and roush axlebacks.
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Go off-road x
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Go off-road x

Any specific brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red502 View Post
Any specific brands?

Ehh a pipe is a pipe doesn't really matter. I guess what Ur paying for is quality and how cool named brand sounds. But for top quality go with bassani. A good one is bbk as well
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
There is a definite difference between an X, H, and pro chamber. It's not really a brand thing. Pipe is pipe.

Off road is loud and raspy on our engines. Prepare for that from the get go. Your other option is high flow catalytic converters.

Personally me, an X pipe is more power giving, but raspier. The H is deeper but with a small loss in 1-2 gear torque. The pro chamber is deeper than a H pipe. Yet no one has one on the 3.7. Lots of GT 4.6 guys run them. Gives that nice hollow muscle car tone from the 70's

Either go so loud it doesn't matter, or live with the firing order
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mac makes a pro chamber for our cars. AM and sells one along with direct from the manufacturer
Old 04-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Before you go O/R consider getting rid of the roush. I had o/r and had to choose between power, or sound. I went with sound since its only a v6 and i don't plan on being the next Mario Andretti. But seriously, consider it. I had Lethal's or h-pipe, and had to add flow-masters mini high-flow cats. Still good power increase, especially low end, but much of the rasp is gone.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
Before you go O/R consider getting rid of the roush. I had o/r and had to choose between power, or sound. I went with sound since its only a v6 and i don't plan on being the next Mario Andretti. But seriously, consider it. I had Lethal's or h-pipe, and had to add flow-masters mini high-flow cats. Still good power increase, especially low end, but much of the rasp is gone.
AND 1 more thing, i even tried the resonators before pulling the trigger.
2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK 73mm TB, MGW Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, Whiteline Bracket, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, Pypes Axlebacks. Track Pack Wheels!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

AND 1 more thing, i even tried the resonators before pulling the trigger.

But wait there's more. heres a quick video, sounds slightly deeper in person, but this is with my droid phone that is almost 4 years old...

2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK 73mm TB, MGW Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, Whiteline Bracket, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, Pypes Axlebacks. Track Pack Wheels!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So what's y'all's opinions on which to get?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red502 View Post
So what's y'all's opinions on which to get?
thats all your personal preference. it all comes down to what you want more, sound or gains. youtube becomes your best friend. just listen around to see what you want and go from there. At least you have an idea of what you can do with the roush.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinkin I want louder with power just to be an attention getter.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I think you'd do best with a catted x or h pipe.
Here's a couple links to help you price match. Install is also easy, just make sure you have ample time, space, and deep socket wrenches.
If you dont like the ones listed, you could also try an O/R one and pay to have cats installed (what i did), just so you can test the waters and see what you want and if the power is worth it.

BBK Catted Mustang X-Pipe 1814 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

MRT Engineering - Midpipes - Exhaust - 2011-2014 - Ford Mustang V6 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now
Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Why did you recommend cats? Just tryin to get a full understanding.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just assumed you wanted to keep your roush exhaust. I tried my friends exhaust and athough it sounded better, it wasnt my style. i just couldnt put myself to part with the roush sound. I really like it.
Up to you ultimately though. Deff go and research on YouTube. it'll show you what i mean by LOUD. and i mean obnoxiously loud.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just assumed you wanted to keep your roush exhaust. I tried my friends exhaust and athough it sounded better, it wasnt my style. i just couldnt put myself to part with the roush sound. I really like it.
Up to you ultimately though. Deff go and research on YouTube. it'll show you what i mean by LOUD. and i mean obnoxiously loud.

Did you happen to make a video of your off road pipe with roush?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

trying to find it. hang on. its a bit hard cuz my phone is so jacked, and i cant remember what folder its in. but I do somewhere
Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
There is a definite difference between an X, H, and pro chamber. It's not really a brand thing. Pipe is pipe.

Off road is loud and raspy on our engines. Prepare for that from the get go. Your other option is high flow catalytic converters.

Personally me, an X pipe is more power giving, but raspier. The H is deeper but with a small loss in 1-2 gear torque. The pro chamber is deeper than a H pipe. Yet no one has one on the 3.7. Lots of GT 4.6 guys run them. Gives that nice hollow muscle car tone from the 70's

Either go so loud it doesn't matter, or live with the firing order
Quote:
Mac makes a pro chamber for our cars. AM and sells one along with direct from the manufacturer
I want deep and loud, but not obnoxiously loud.. Is there a video of the prochamber sound? And how do you think it would sound with borla s-type axle backs?
roadrunnerx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
trying to find it. hang on. its a bit hard cuz my phone is so jacked, and i cant remember what folder its in. but I do somewhere

Thanks man appreciate it
Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

i cant find it dude. but look up the borla ataks with o/r x. it sounds really similar.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i cant find it dude. but look up the borla ataks with o/r x. it sounds really similar.

Thanks man like I said I appreciate it
Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

In do time I'll tell you. I'm going with this. Look up 3.8 and 4.0 v6 mustangs with it. Very aggressive yet clean.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Look up Dillon Shand on Instagram. Has a H pipe and roush. Sounds very clean.

My plans are s type and pro chamber. Both will be loud but not as much harsh as the x or a big volume exhaust.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My plans are s type and pro chamber. Both will be loud but not as much harsh as the x or a big volume exhaust.
I want to keep at least some form of catalytic converters.. And i just saw on mac's site they have the prochamber that hooks up to the stock converters!! Were you going to keep your converters ?

Also idk if you already have your s-types but theyre awesome! Just imo wish they were a little more louder at regular driving. Dont really wake up until about 2700rpm and up
Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes I love Dylan's car. Isn't he running a lethal h pipe
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnerx7 View Post
I want to keep at least some form of catalytic converters.. And i just saw on mac's site they have the prochamber that hooks up to the stock converters!! Were you going to keep your converters ?

Also idk if you already have your s-types but theyre awesome! Just imo wish they were a little more louder at regular driving. Dont really wake up until about 2700rpm and up

I have a "big volume" exhaust. It's no real tone and just drone. I'm getting the catback to replace my welded, butchered piping and flowmaster 40's.

What I like is that of you're gonna do a mid pipe, they will sound great due to them being a mild exhaust. The louder exhaust just get louder and tend to crap out at 3k with an o/r pipe
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a "big volume" exhaust. It's no real tone and just drone. I'm getting the catback to replace my welded, butchered piping and flowmaster 40's.

What I like is that of you're gonna do a mid pipe, they will sound great due to them being a mild exhaust. The louder exhaust just get louder and tend to crap out at 3k with an o/r pipe
Oh i see. Thats another area ive been wondering if it worth changing.. Since mine are only axle backs i still the stock over the axle pipes.. And i hate them because of the flat spot one of them has.. But im not too sure if changing them will make any difference in sound/power.. And if so if its worth it

That was part of the reason i got the s-types.. Figured later on id get more exhaust parts and theyd wake up the stingers throughout the whole rpm range. first time hearing the roush ab's made me want a louder exhaust lol. Though i think youre right.. They did kinda crap out at higher rpms where as mine just kept roaring all the way
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnerx7 View Post
Oh i see. Thats another area ive been wondering if it worth changing.. Since mine are only axle backs i still the stock over the axle pipes.. And i hate them because of the flat spot one of them has.. But im not too sure if changing them will make any difference in sound/power.. And if so if its worth

I've wondered the same. Interested to hear what others have to say about that flattened driver side pipe.
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you'd do best with a catted x or h pipe.
Here's a couple links to help you price match. Install is also easy, just make sure you have ample time, space, and deep socket wrenches.
If you dont like the ones listed, you could also try an O/R one and pay to have cats installed (what i did), just so you can test the waters and see what you want and if the power is worth it.

BBK Catted Mustang X-Pipe 1814 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

MRT Engineering - Midpipes - Exhaust - 2011-2014 - Ford Mustang V6 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Y would u buy off-road just to install cats
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

That was my thoughts. But I thinking I'm going with lethal performance off road h pipe.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I've wondered the same. Interested to hear what others have to say about that flattened driver side pipe.

It does nothing. Some weird ford engineering. Mine are now just straight pipes because I took out my 22" resonators. It sounds just the same.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I am in the same boat as you.. My old set up was bbk Intake bbk short tune headers bama tune and PYPE BOMBS.. As you stated the my pypes were so load after 3k it held no tone and sounded more like a scream.. So I now have the borla S-types.. I feel like they are to quit especially because the short headers.. So now I want to invest in a lethal H pipe with cats.. For those going catless, is it ok to go cat less in your state? I'm in texas.. So cats are a must..
Oh and from what I gather X = more power but more rasp H =more sound deeper tone.. AM sadly dosnt have any catted H's..
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Y would u buy off-road just to install cats
Sorry for the late reply as im finally on vacation.
I bought an OR H from lethal, didnt like the sound, got flustered with swapping axlebacks, and finally the exhaust shop by me promised that the high flow cats would be the best way to go with minimal performance loss.
Naturally I agreed, and although sometimes i wished to have the power associated with completely catless mid pipes, its my DD and just not my preference. It also netted out to be MUCH cheaper than going bbk's high flow mid pipe or similar, as everything was take-off from someone parting out who needed cash immediately.
But eveyone has methods to their madness, and what drives them to do the things they do.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I am in the same boat as you.. My old set up was bbk Intake bbk short tune headers bama tune and PYPE BOMBS.. As you stated the my pypes were so load after 3k it held no tone and sounded more like a scream.. So I now have the borla S-types.. I feel like they are to quit especially because the short headers.. So now I want to invest in a lethal H pipe with cats.. For those going catless, is it ok to go cat less in your state? I'm in texas.. So cats are a must..
Oh and from what I gather X = more power but more rasp H =more sound deeper tone.. AM sadly dosnt have any catted H's..

MRT catted h pipe. $5-600 bro
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
MRT catted h pipe. $5-600 bro
haha, i keep a record of how much it costs me for everything i do to the car. i was less than that. $457 for lethal h pipe with vibrant resonators welded and flowmaster cats welded in TOTAL.
saved myself 100+ dollars, and was able to see the progression of sound/change in performance.
But you are right in the sense that i couldve saved myself a headache in the first place!!
lol
Old 06-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, I never posted my final exhaust build. I only posted it with the roush set up.

Heres the final product, Im very pleased with the sound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang