Got my first mustang , mod advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Got my first mustang , mod advice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398692231.421123.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	782.7 KB
ID:	155302
_nathannnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would change rims to black get 20% tinted windows and a new exhaust
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking something like these Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398692573.231208.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	155303

And getting some SR Lowering springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Could always just plastidip the rims (costs like $20 for all 3 cans). Here's what 4 coats of matte black and 2 coats of gloss looks like:

Name:	20140427_130005.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	155307

I'm waiting for another set of wheel locks to come in, then I'm going to put on the plastidipped white lugs, so I'm not completely finished yet.

As far as mods I would go with a tune first.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I heard the plastidip starts chipping away after a little while
Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If done correctly it'll easily last 3 - 5 years. Seems like a pretty good trade off to me. Also considering how insanely simple it is to do.

The only time I've heard of people having problems is when they don't put enough coats on. For wheels 2 - 3 coats isn't going to cut it, I went with 6, which is 2 full regular cans and about 1/2 a can of glossifier. My buddy did 5 coats of matte black on his Subaru WRX rims and they survived the east coast winter and look the same as the day we did them back in July 2013.

Definitely worth it in my opinion, but it's up to you.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I was in the same situation a couple months ago. I got the windows tinted, added shorty headers, Roush Axlebacks, SR springs, and am ready to put on 20" Charcoal AMR wheels. Your wheels are a little bit nicer than my stock wheels, so I wouldn't necessarily look at replacing them. The exhaust and tint will make the most dramatic appearance/sound impact.
JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You could add this. I think it makes the interior look so much better.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398709174.194205.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	155329
willmorg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Why change out such nice factory wheels? Focus on other areas that could be more beneficial first.

Window tint
Aftermarket tune
Good sounding set of axle-back mufflers
Simple cosmetics (CDC performance grille, GT500 rear valence, window louvres, etc.)

I am so damn confused right now, what year is your stang? I see the 13'-14' front and rear fascias and 14' wheels, but with the 10-12 halogen headlights... Wtf.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 2013. I thought the same thing but my buddy told me I was wrong ! It was salvaged though so I'm assuming when the previous owner fixed it they put the wrong headlights
Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Also I have a switch for fog lights but they weren't reinstalled? Should adding fog lights be easy?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Got my first mustang , mod advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nathannnn View Post
It's a 2013. I thought the same thing but my buddy told me I was wrong ! It was salvaged though so I'm assuming when the previous owner fixed it they put the wrong headlights

Did it to cut costs of the rebuild since the 13 plus has HID as standard. Hope you had the car checked pretty good, if they are going to cut corners there on the rebuild they will elsewhere. Figuring a car has to hit 60-80% of its value to get totaled, that's a lot of dmg. Next time you take it in i would hv the tech check to make sure there are actual airbags in there. First thing people due to avoid the high cost of rebuild is leave out the airbags but fix the visual covers of them.

Good luck just warning of crap i have seen..

JS
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The guy is a good friend of my dads , he told me he never reinstalled the Airbags but I got a good deal on the car. I'll probably give him a call to figure out what else he cut corners on.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well before you do any mods I'd get some airbags in it bro. Lol That's the only 13 I've seen with the halogen headlights and it doesn't look bad at all to me! Kinda like them! I'd say you're looking good appearance-wise. Those are good rims, you've got a spoiler, tint...you could always do a grille swap like I did. I say maybe some white Le Mans stripes or you could move straight into performance with a tune, exhaust, or even gears. But...first get some damn airbags.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't it cost almost $2,000 just for airbags?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The guy is a good friend of my dads , he told me he never reinstalled the Airbags but I got a good deal on the car. I'll probably give him a call to figure out what else he cut corners on.

Risky proposition with your life, but that's your choice. On the legal side, check with your state MVD some states its against the law not to replace airbags after deployment and to tamper with the airbag light. It will fail those states inspection. Your profile didnt have where you are from, so I couldn't look but google your states MVD salvage title rules in regards to airbag deployment. I take it he pulled the bulb on the airbag light, since yours are not functioning?

Also when you sell it (if ever 😃) make you sure you get a notarized sales receipt that show all airbags are missing from the buyer. Saves ya from lawsuit in future.

Lastly, ask if he/she took photos before they rebuilt the car so you can see all the damage that occurred and any potential problems in the future.

Good luck and congrats on your Stang. Enjoy the mods one by one as it is addicting and has been for every Stang I have owned.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tuner/gears.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Well before you do any mods I'd get some airbags in it bro. Lol That's the only 13 I've seen with the halogen headlights and it doesn't look bad at all to me! Kinda like them! I'd say you're looking good appearance-wise. Those are good rims, you've got a spoiler, tint...you could always do a grille swap like I did. I say maybe some white Le Mans stripes or you could move straight into performance with a tune, exhaust, or even gears. But...first get some damn airbags.

Would make it perfect for the headlight splitters since there halogen actually as i dont like the look with HIDs personally. Specially with your black color..cool look.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1011-exterior-trim.html
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Why change out such nice factory wheels? Focus on other areas that could be more beneficial first.

Window tint
Aftermarket tune
Good sounding set of axle-back mufflers
Simple cosmetics (CDC performance grille, GT500 rear valence, window louvres, etc.)

I am so damn confused right now, what year is your stang? I see the 13'-14' front and rear fascias and 14' wheels, but with the 10-12 halogen headlights... Wtf.
+1, I've never seen that before!!!??? Gotta get those hids or raxion in there bro! The 3.7 is still in there right? Lol jk jk.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions! I live in California, I'll probably hold off on the airbags. Probably end up buying HID, shorty headers, axle back exhaust, SR springs, and tune it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i've done just about everything you can do to these 3.7's and hands down my favorite mods were tune, gears, and lower control arms

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
But...first get some damn airbags.
You may have gotten a "good deal" on the car, but in all honesty the money you saved will probably have to be used to make the car safe.

Not trying to discourage you or be a debby downer, but no airbags? Come on man you gotta have those for your DD. Not saying you're going to cause an accident, but there are a lot of morons out there who might hit you. If they hit you going fast enough and you don't have airbags... well you're pretty f****ed my friend. All I gotta say is I hope you have good auto and health insurance. You're auto insurance is also going to be pretty pricey if they find out you don't have airbags in your car.

Safety first, everything else second. In the end it's your car and your decision, I just hope you can live with whatever decision you make.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
So, you bought the car, knowing this was done?

It's against federal law to remove/tamper with a federally required item(s) on an automobile, and then knowingly sell it.

He's liable, and either has to buy back the car, or pay for the installment of the item(s). Even if you bought the car "as is", you can still make a claim. Being as how it's a friend of your dad, good luck with that.

And dad allowed you to purchase this without this missing safty equipment? I hope it's never involved in a serious accident...he might not like the outcome. I gotta say, I would not knowingly put my son in a car that had them bypassed/removed.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I live in California, I'll probably hold off on the airbags. Probably end up buying HID, shorty headers, axle back exhaust, SR springs, and tune it.
To each his own, but I personally believe that's not the best route.

Safety and legality first man (airbags). HID's in halogens doesn't do any favors for other drivers. IMO short headers are only for looks, but I understand you're in Cali and that's all you may be able to do legally.

Lotta people throw those cheap SR springs on w/o other supporting mods and either deal with the harsher ride quality or end up with $1,000+ repair fees from damaged differentials. If you don't believe me I'll send you a link. Don't f*ck your new sh*t up man.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To each his own, but I personally believe that's not the best route.

Safety and legality first man (airbags). HID's in halogens doesn't do any favors for other drivers. IMO short headers are only for looks, but I understand you're in Cali and that's all you may be able to do legally.

Lotta people throw those cheap SR springs on w/o other supporting mods and either deal with the harsher ride quality or end up with $1,000+ repair fees from damaged differentials. If you don't believe me I'll send you a link. Don't f*ck your new sh*t up man.
Can I see that link?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Can I see that link?
Read away

eibach lowering spring problem
Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks bro. I don't plan on tracking just yet, but when I do I'll take their advice! I was quite worried about lowering my ride, but after talking with Shane he re- assured that 1.5" drop with the adj panhard bar is o.k. I car pool every third week so I have three adults in the car every third week and the ride quality was surprisingly pretty good, a little stiffer but very manageable. I do plan on further suspension mods down the line.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So, you bought the car, knowing this was done?

It's against federal law to remove/tamper with a federally required item(s) on an automobile, and then knowingly sell it.

He's liable, and either has to buy back the car, or pay for the installment of the item(s). Even if you bought the car "as is", you can still make a claim. Being as how it's a friend of your dad, good luck with that.

And dad allowed you to purchase this without this missing safty equipment? I hope it's never involved in a serious accident...he might not like the outcome. I gotta say, I would not knowingly put my son in a car that had them bypassed/removed.

Although I agree with you on all the points, it is not illegal to sell a vehicle with missing or previously deployed airbags as long as it is disclosed which obviously it was. The only requirements are state based if the particular state requires all federal safety devices in place and working to pass inspection.

Question 25 in particular:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/airbagqa.html

But that is why I said to get a notarized bill of sale with the disclosure when the OP decides to sell it, to protect against a injury claim later on.

Anyway OP show us pics as you progress. Heck do a four or five point harness and you will never touch airbags even if they were there lol, and cheaper than airbags.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I mean since I got the car 10k, even if I do put the airbags back in. The outcome is still only 12k in total which in my opinion is still a great deal
Old 04-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

But I'm definitely liking that 5 point harness idea! Never really thought about that !
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean since I got the car 10k, even if I do put the airbags back in. The outcome is still only 12k in total which in my opinion is still a great deal

Well it would be more than that specially if all four went off there are one in each of the front seats also. If you do decide to get them installed make sure to have a good shop/ or dealer do it. As there a lot of people selling bad ones or not even doing the install but saying they did and taking your money.

Just remember the four/five point harness is only good if you properly adjust it. Basically you dont move much in the car each time you drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang