Drone on axle back? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post

I couldn't agree more. After reading this thread I posted I was so confused and I still am actually between bassani and borla s type. But I think I'm just gonna stick with borla as I'm sure if I don't like them they are easy to sell.
Good for you bro. I think your chose of Borla will be perfect for you. Asking people for opinions is great but many times it leaves people more confused and head spinning. Ha ha ha. A little side note to that is.

Just the other day a co-worker/ buddy of mine picked up a pre owned 2013 5.0 which this is his first mustang. He knows I'm big into mustangs so he immediately asked me which exhaust system should he go with. My buddy said he was looking on the internet and his head was swimming with axle backs, cat back system, x pipes, h pipes, y pipes, long tubes, short tubes, holy ***** he says too me. WTF did I get myself into. Ha ha ha.

My buddy was looking for something that had little to no interior drone, deep growl, loud on the outside but quiet to him inside. So of course I posted that question on here for him and can you imagine. I got all different answers and opinions on which system is the best for that. Ha ha ha!

Less is more sometimes but OP, I'm sure you will be happy with the borla axle backs. I personally have always had a love for the Flowmaster exhausts on mustangs.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
woohoo they are on sale on AM for 524$ today compared to 639$ yesterday

That's a steal...!
txffmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by txffmike View Post
That's a steal...!
That sure is but for 75extra I get borla
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Good for you bro. I think your chose of Borla will be perfect for you. Asking people for opinions is great but many times it leaves people more confused and head spinning. Ha ha ha. A little side note to that is.

Just the other day a co-worker/ buddy of mine picked up a pre owned 2013 5.0 which this is his first mustang. He knows I'm big into mustangs so he immediately asked me which exhaust system should he go with. My buddy said he was looking on the internet and his head was swimming with axle backs, cat back system, x pipes, h pipes, y pipes, long tubes, short tubes, holy ***** he says too me. WTF did I get myself into. Ha ha ha.

My buddy was looking for something that had little to no interior drone, deep growl, loud on the outside but quiet to him inside. So of course I posted that question on here for him and can you imagine. I got all different answers and opinions on which system is the best for that. Ha ha ha!

Less is more sometimes but OP, I'm sure you will be happy with the borla axle backs. I personally have always had a love for the Flowmaster exhausts on mustangs.
+1 I think I'm going flows soon. I really like the sound. I love my Roush but the flows have grown on me. I'm wondering how they will sound with my shorties.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

+1 I think I'm going flows soon. I really like the sound. I love my Roush but the flows have grown on me. I'm wondering how they will sound with my shorties.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
I think Flows will sound amazing with your shorties.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Finally after a days research I'm going for borla s type. I like the sound and people say there is no drone. I was very confused between s type and bassani but I like how the tone changes when you push it. Getting new one for 577$ off eBay.

I do know for a fact that if you're an automatic GT with 4.10's they drone. But that's at near 3k rpm :p I like that they can be added onto and not sound like crap
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I do know for a fact that if you're an automatic GT with 4.10's they drone. But that's at near 3k rpm :p I like that they can be added onto and not sound like crap
I got a manual v6. And I ordered to borla s type. Can't wait to get it
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I got the black pypes pype bomb axleback exhaust and I could not be happier with it. I got it from AM for $290. I had to have them instaled since the fitment was rough and I was not confident in welding/cutting them myself, and ended up paying $100 for the install, since it was a rough fit it took an hour/hour and a half for the shop to put them in. That being said, with all axleback's there is a BREAK-IN PERIOD of about 100 miles before the tone settles. Until that period is done with your axleback's can have several different tones throughout the first 100 miles or so. With all v6's, the rasp is hard to get rid of. However, I recently put an Airaid CAI on and it really deepened the tone of my exhaust and I could not be happier. Pypes pype bombs, 290, install, 100, got the CAI for 170. $560 for all that and it's cheaper than the Borla's. That's the route I chose to take for more bang for my buck and what is in my opinion an amazing sound. As was previously stated in this thread, what one person loves, another can hate. The best thing to do is to listen to numerous youtube videos on the sounds and go with what your heart tells you and what YOU like, not what other people recommend.
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I got the black pypes pype bomb axleback exhaust and I could not be happier with it. I got it from AM for $290. I had to have them instaled since the fitment was rough and I was not confident in welding/cutting them myself, and ended up paying $100 for the install, since it was a rough fit it took an hour/hour and a half for the shop to put them in. That being said, with all axleback's there is a BREAK-IN PERIOD of about 100 miles before the tone settles. Until that period is done with your axleback's can have several different tones throughout the first 100 miles or so. With all v6's, the rasp is hard to get rid of. However, I recently put an Airaid CAI on and it really deepened the tone of my exhaust and I could not be happier. Pypes pype bombs, 290, install, 100, got the CAI for 170. $560 for all that and it's cheaper than the Borla's. That's the route I chose to take for more bang for my buck and what is in my opinion an amazing sound. As was previously stated in this thread, what one person loves, another can hate. The best thing to do is to listen to numerous youtube videos on the sounds and go with what your heart tells you and what YOU like, not what other people recommend.

The 3.7 doesn't have to be raspy. Magnaflow Streets have no rasp whatsoever. There are other mufflers out there also with no rasp, just deep.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

By "deep" you mean quiet. Lol. Usually a loud/aggressive AB on the 3.7 will produce some rasp, but rasp isn't bad IMO. Its just the nature of the beast with the 3.7.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Drone on axle back?

Quote:
By "deep" you mean quiet. Lol. Usually a loud/aggressive AB on the 3.7 will produce some rasp, but rasp isn't bad IMO. Its just the nature of the beast with the 3.7.

By deep I mean low pitch, not high pitch. The Streets are loud enough at WOT, but no rasp.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
By deep I mean low pitch, not high pitch. The Streets are loud enough at WOT, but no rasp.
Lol, I was just joking, what i meant is they are not loud/aggresive.I like many types of exhaust, flows, borlas, pypes, Roush, bassini, I just find the streets to be very generic sounding. And yes I have heard them in person Lol, but exhaust notes/tones are total personal preference and vary from person to person. Some people don't like Roush because they are obnoxiously loud but that's OK.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, I was just joking, what i meant is they are not loud/aggresive.I like many types of exhaust, flows, borlas, pypes, Roush, bassini, I just find the streets to be very generic sounding. And yes I have heard them in person Lol, but exhaust notes/tones are total personal preference and vary from person to person. Some people don't like Roush because they are obnoxiously loud but that's OK.

The Roush axle backs are obnoxiously loud on the 3.7. Ha ha ha
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Roush axle backs are obnoxiously loud on the 3.7. Ha ha ha
Lol +1.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It is a difficult dance to get a deep idle, no drone, good cruising sound and a WOT wail that will wet your pants.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
It is a difficult dance to get a deep idle, no drone, good cruising sound and a WOT wail that will wet your pants.
And then god created the Flowmaster Force II axle backs and perfection was born. Ha ha ha ha
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And then god created the Flowmaster Force II axle backs and perfection was born. Ha ha ha ha
Lmao! Your the best! That put a smile on my face after a ****ty morning of work!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao! Your the best! That put a smile on my face after a ****ty morning of work!

Ha ha Ha. Glad that put a smile on your face. Lol
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Installed borla s type today and my first reaction to it was holy **** with a huge smile. Damn that sound. I just don't want to shift to higher gears. After driving on the highway which was pretty good no drone and no loud sound I entered the city and I was like omfg. People were staring at me and I was smiling. The sound in 4th gear is just amazing.
I guess it was an excellent decision. I'm sure it will sound better after few more miles on it. Next mode is a tuner and then 3.73 gears.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Installed borla s type today and my first reaction to it was holy **** with a huge smile. Damn that sound. I just don't want to shift to higher gears. After driving on the highway which was pretty good no drone and no loud sound I entered the city and I was like omfg. People were staring at me and I was smiling. The sound in 4th gear is just amazing.
I guess it was an excellent decision. I'm sure it will sound better after few more miles on it. Next mode is a tuner and then 3.73 gears.
Awesome bro. Glad you like.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how much did you pay and from where?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
So how much did you pay and from where?
Bought it from AM for 605$ and fitment cost me 100$. Fitment cost actually was too high to me but i did not have any tools or a lift to put the car up. But its worth for the type of sound it produces. I ve been smiling everytime i drive since yesterday
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #58

Region: Rhode Island
I wanted to do a full catback, I decided to just do a muffler delete till I decided to drop serious cash, for 110$ cut the mufflers welded the tips back on, can't beat the sound for the price, THAT FOURTH GEAR THOUGH.... Omg 3500rpm

~Wanacustomx~
~Sound Ordinance Audio~
Wanacustomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Wait about 3 to 4 weeks and they'll sound even better after they break in. Mine got deeper and louder after the break in period. I was stoked when I first put them on and now I'm just friggen amazed
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Wait about 3 to 4 weeks and they'll sound even better after they break in. Mine got deeper and louder after the break in period. I was stoked when I first put them on and now I'm just friggen amazed
+1 I put about 55 miles on borla and it's getting deeper. I still smile when I accelerate and because of these I m most of the time in lower gears lol
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #61

Region: Rhode Island
I just couldn't imagine having any mufflers at all, mines quite cruising and still not obnoxious in the throttle.
I don't wanna cut the resonators and it be obnoxious, but I still want it louder

~Wanacustomx~
~Sound Ordinance Audio~
Wanacustomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Any 3.7 guys have super 10s? Just got em on my 4.0 (no other 4.0 guys have em on here) and the drone is atrocious!! What are my best options to tone down the drone in the cabin without doing resonators?
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ear plugs
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
Ear plugs

Seriously😩 it's so bad! Maybe some sound deadening material in trunk and under the back seats?
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #65

I had (before I sold my car) a Ford Racing Sport Axle Back setup and it was great! No drone at all, but a great mean sound for a V6.
zbrewha863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #66
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
+1 I put about 55 miles on borla and it's getting deeper. I still smile when I accelerate and because of these I m most of the time in lower gears lol
Yeah, they're just plain fun and seem to get better with time. Glad you're enjoying them as much as I am. Great build quality and warranty, and a wonderful sound. Real head turner, yahoo
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang