Drone on axle back? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Drone on axle back?

I'm sorry for starting another thread on axel backs. I m buying a new one soon and have been studying about all since morning today and I read a lot. I read bassani axel back drone on automatics. Do they drone on manuals too at about 80-85mph? I like the sound of it and I'm considering it.

I m also considering Magna flow competition since they are cheaper than bassani and sound good. Are they very loud since they are muffler deletes? Do they drone a lot too on manuals?

I usually drive at 80-90mph with radio always on and I have shaker system just so you get an idea. I was considering pypes but I read the fitment is a hassle.

Bassani and competition I like but I'm confused because of the drone issue. Do they exhaust at these speeds on a v6 manual 2012 model?
Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
I'm sorry for starting another thread on axel backs. I m buying a new one soon and have been studying about all since morning today and I read a lot. I read bassani axel back drone on automatics. Do they drone on manuals too at about 80-85mph? I like the sound of it and I'm considering it.

I m also considering Magna flow competition since they are cheaper than bassani and sound good. Are they very loud since they are muffler deletes? Do they drone a lot too on manuals?

I usually drive at 80-90mph with radio always on and I have shaker system just so you get an idea. I was considering pypes but I read the fitment is a hassle.

Bassani and competition I like but I'm confused because of the drone issue. Do they exhaust at these speeds on a v6 manual 2012 model?
Thank you

I have the Bassani axle backs on my automatic V6 and they drone in that you can heard them while cruising. But it isn't an obnoxious sound at all. And on a perfectly flat stretch of road they can just barely be heard. The only time they really tend to drone is uphill, and the stock mufflers drone a little uphill too anyways. I have 3.31:1 gears so my RPMs at highway speed are a little higher than those of people with 2.73s. I have heard people say that some ABs drone to the point of giving them headaches and stuff like that, and the Bassani's definitely do that. With a manual, you should be even better off because you should have a little bit lower cruising engine speeds.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I have the Bassani axle backs on my automatic V6 and they drone in that you can heard them while cruising. But it isn't an obnoxious sound at all. And on a perfectly flat stretch of road they can just barely be heard. The only time they really tend to drone is uphill, and the stock mufflers drone a little uphill too anyways. I have 3.31:1 gears so my RPMs at highway speed are a little higher than those of people with 2.73s. I have heard people say that some ABs drone to the point of giving them headaches and stuff like that, and the Bassani's definitely do that. With a manual, you should be even better off because you should have a little bit lower cruising engine speeds.

Which gears do you think would cause the car to drone more, 2.73 or 3.31? I would almost wonder that the 3.31 would cause less because you are higher in the RPM band. I would think that the lower, deeper sound would come across more as drone. Even my Streets seem to drone going uphill at certain RPMs. My wife knows nothing about drone and I haven't even talked to her about it, but a few times while we were going uphill she mentioned that her head hurt from the deep, steady tone. And i heard it too so she wasn't making things up. I usually push the 6th gear lockout to drop a gear, get the RPMs higher and make the sound go away. Any thoughts on this?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Which gears do you think would cause the car to drone more, 2.73 or 3.31? I would almost wonder that the 3.31 would cause less because you are higher in the RPM band. I would think that the lower, deeper sound would come across more as drone. Even my Streets seem to drone going uphill at certain RPMs. My wife knows nothing about drone and I haven't even talked to her about it, but a few times while we were going uphill she mentioned that her head hurt from the deep, steady tone. And i heard it too so she wasn't making things up. I usually push the 6th gear lockout to drop a gear, get the RPMs higher and make the sound go away. Any thoughts on this?

With the Bassani's, the drone doesn't occur at lower RPMs. There's a sweet spot of drone from like 1500 to 2500. Any lower than that and the exhaust is honestly pretty silent. And any higher than that and the engine noise cancels out the exhaust sound (when cruising of course).
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I bought magna competitions, and took em off just after 2 days! They drone like a betch from 1700-3100 rpms, and I literally had headaches from that humming noise. Oh and not to mention the fact that they sounded like an obnoxious fart cannon!

My suggestion: go with universal style mufflers and you'd save tons of money!! Magnaflows run about $85 a piece (they're the same mufflers used in their street kits). Use your stock tips and inlet pipe. Voila you have a custom setup under $250 including labor and everything.

Other really good sounding universal mufflers are hooker aero chambers, cherry bomb vortex, thrush welded, and dynomax turbo.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I bought magna competitions, and took em off just after 2 days! They drone like a betch from 1700-3100 rpms, and I literally had headaches from that humming noise. Oh and not to mention the fact that they sounded like an obnoxious fart cannon!

My suggestion: go with universal style mufflers and you'd save tons of money!! Magnaflows run about $85 a piece (they're the same mufflers used in their street kits). Use your stock tips and inlet pipe. Voila you have a custom setup under $250 including labor and everything.

Other really good sounding universal mufflers are hooker aero chambers, cherry bomb vortex, thrush welded, and dynomax turbo.

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Same with my flowmaster 40's. Get the flowmaster sound without the price and harshness of the force 2. My pypes, roush, and flowmaster all drone. It's due to them being below the trunk and just the nature of our engines.

As stated, even the stocks drone uphill
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Go with borla touring guys, they are the best sounding axleback around not obnoxiously loud but deep and mellow sound, just perfect..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thank you

If your looking for a no drone axle back I believe Corsa has a no drone. Depending on ones exhaust set up and gear ratio, there is gonna be drone. A way to combat interior drone is to have two glass pack resonators welded on.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thank you

Check it out bro. No drone.

http://m.americanmuscle.com/corsa-sp...ck-1114v6.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140430_202820.png
Views:	167
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	155567
Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for all your suggestions. I did check corsa but I love the sound of bassani. I'm eager to put that on. I have 2.73 gear ratio and manual. I usually drive on straight roads and no uphill with red in the range of 2000-3000 in 6th gear. If this causes no drone on manual im considering these.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you for all your suggestions. I did check corsa but I love the sound of bassani. I'm eager to put that on. I have 2.73 gear ratio and manual. I usually drive on straight roads and no uphill with red in the range of 2000-3000 in 6th gear. If this causes no drone on manual im considering these.

With your 2:73 gears, your golden bro on no drone. I never had interior drone with my 2:73 gears and Flowmaster force II axle backs.

Not until I got my 3:73 gears, off road x pipe and long tube headers did I get drone.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
With your 2:73 gears, your golden bro on no drone. I never had interior drone with my 2:73 gears and Flowmaster force II axle backs.

Not until I got my 3:73 gears, off road x pipe and long tube headers did I get drone.
Okay but that's with Flow Master right? I should go ahead and get Bassani then? It wont drone in the rpm range of 2000-3000 on flat roads, right?

Bassani manuall owners please shed some light on this.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Youre always going to get some drone on any aftermarket kit, especially on a V6. Some are obviously worse than others. If you're this worried about drone just leave it alone. Nobody can tell you whats an acceptable amount of drone. Only you will know this. It will mean you have to buy some thing and try it, if you like it great, if not try to sell it and find another. On my 350Z I went thru 4 or 5 exhausts until I found what I was comfortable with.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Youre always going to get some drone on any aftermarket kit, especially on a V6. Some are obviously worse than others. If you're this worried about drone just leave it alone. Nobody can tell you whats an acceptable amount of drone. Only you will know this. It will mean you have to buy some thing and try it, if you like it great, if not try to sell it and find another. On my 350Z I went thru 4 or 5 exhausts until I found what I was comfortable with.
5 exhaust systems. OMG. Holly cow. Ha ha ha. That's a bit of cash.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm comfortable with a little drone. I know most of the aftermarket ones are prone to drone. All i'm worried about is having a headache in the range of 2000-3000 rpm in 6th gear so thought i d ask members to have their response. I can tolerate a little drone as it wouldn't bother me much since i play music all the time.

And 4-5 exhausts? Wow
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I'm comfortable with a little drone. I know most of the aftermarket ones are prone to drone. All i'm worried about is having a headache in the range of 2000-3000 rpm in 6th gear so thought i d ask members to have their response. I can tolerate a little drone as it wouldn't bother me much since i play music all the time.

And 4-5 exhausts? Wow
The V6 is hard to get a good tone on. Some of the ones I tried were either raspy, too loud or just way to much drone. I finally settled on a NISMO exhaust for my Z..it was a 1200.00 exhaust, never again.

My Mac's sound pretty good. A little drony in that 2500+ range but on the freeway cruising its not bad at all. I think youll be fine with the Bassani's.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And 4-5 exhausts? Wow
I would think with you having only 2:73 gears, cats and stock manifolds you shouldn't have any drone with most of the axle backs. I had no drone with my Flowmaster Force II axle backs when i had 2:73 gears and stock exhaust parts.

Don't worry bro. You will be fine. Just pick one and you will be good to go.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would think with you having only 2:73 gears, cats and stock manifolds you shouldn't have any drone with most of the axle backs. I had no drone with my Flowmaster Force II axle backs when i had 2:73 gears and stock exhaust parts.

Don't worry bro. You will be fine. Just pick one and you will be good to go.
Okay well hey! i m gonna order bassani's today and going to plasti dip my wheels with metallic anthracite gray too. I have a black car. Summer's here and its time to get some upgrades for the stang

Thanks for your opinion bud
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Bassanis on my 3.31 V6 MT. slight drone on uphill as sixbanger mentioned. I don't find it bad at all. I describe the sound (when not droning) as european. I like it but the main reason I scored mine were used & close to my house so great deal. They are very well made and fit up perfect.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

woohoo they are on sale on AM for 524$ today compared to 639$ yesterday
Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
woohoo they are on sale on AM for 524$ today compared to 639$ yesterday
You dont want the one, you want the touring, The one youre looking at for 524.00 will be very loud with lots of drone.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You dont want the one, you want the touring, The one youre looking at for 524.00 will be very loud with lots of drone.
uhh ohh!!. Its the only one on AM for 11-12 v6 mine 2012 model
Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have the borla atak....no drone
epit2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
uhh ohh!!. Its the only one on AM for 11-12 v6 mine 2012 model

Oh sorry...I guess I should have guessed by your screen name.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh sorry...I guess I should have guessed by your screen name.
Not a problem. I checked bassanis website too and i just see this same exhaust i couldn't find touring version of it
Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The V6 is hard to get a good tone on. Some of the ones I tried were either raspy, too loud or just way to much drone. I finally settled on a NISMO exhaust for my Z..it was a 1200.00 exhaust, never again.

My Mac's sound pretty good. A little drony in that 2500+ range but on the freeway cruising its not bad at all. I think youll be fine with the Bassani's.

Go loud so it doesn't matter or live with the firing order. Generally you're gonna have to do full exhaust on these motors to get the tone you're after
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Go loud so it doesn't matter or live with the firing order. Generally you're gonna have to do full exhaust on these motors to get the tone you're after

Im not after a tone. I wont put a bunch of money into an exhaust ever again. Its not really worth it. Im happy with the Mac's. It get a little volume, a little tone and thats all I need. The drone isnt so bad that I cant stand it, I just turn up the music.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not a problem. I checked bassanis website too and i just see this same exhaust i couldn't find touring version of it

There's only one version of Bassani's exhaust for the V6. No touring version...
Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Oh wow I just realized I was thinking about Borla...sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im not after a tone. I wont put a bunch of money into an exhaust ever again. Its not really worth it. Im happy with the Mac's. It get a little volume, a little tone and thats all I need. The drone isnt so bad that I cant stand it, I just turn up the music.

I try to preach to people before then end up like you and I. Spending so much money in exhaust when research and shows would have helped tremendously.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I try to preach to people before then end up like you and I. Spending so much money in exhaust when research and shows would have helped tremendously.
Very true. You can loose a lot of time and money searching for "the perfect tone"..
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I got the mrt axleback and love it sure there is a little drone but it's the good kind
13stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Finally after a days research I'm going for borla s type. I like the sound and people say there is no drone. I was very confused between s type and bassani but I like how the tone changes when you push it. Getting new one for 577$ off eBay.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I certainly love these threads but unfortunately I think many times they leave the OP's more confused than when they first started. Ha ha ha. The issue with these types of threads about exhaust tones, drone etc is that its all subjective. What sounds great to me, may sound like garbage to another.

What I consider to have a lot of drone, one may think there is hardly any. If you ask 30 people which is the best sounding axle backs, you most likely will get 15 to 20 different answers. There is no right answer. Its all subjective and it will leave people's head spinning. Sometimes asking more people opinions is just worse than making your own decision and take the leap.

Granted one can do all the research on various mods, but many times it comes down to a particular brand preference and if they had a good experience with that product. One will get hundreds of different opinions which some will be the same and others different.

I personally chose Flowmaster Force II axle backs because they produce a magnificent tone that's pure sex. I'm sure various people here would disagree and in fact, hate the tone of them.

In the end research and opinions are good but many times they become overwhelming and loose there helpfulness! Sometimes less is more.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I certainly love these threads but unfortunately I think many times they leave the OP's more confused than when they first started. Ha ha ha. The issue with these types of threads about exhaust tones, drone etc is that its all subjective. What sounds great to me, may sound like garbage to another.

What I consider to have a lot of drone, one may think there is hardly any. If you ask 30 people which is the best sounding axle backs, you most likely will get 15 to 20 different answers. There is no right answer. Its all subjective and it will leave people's head spinning. Sometimes asking more people opinions is just worse than making your own decision and take the leap.

Granted one can do all the research on various mods, but many times it comes down to a particular brand preference and if they had a good experience with that product. One will get hundreds of different opinions which some will be the same and others different.

I personally chose Flowmaster Force II axle backs because they produce a magnificent tone that's pure sex. I'm sure various people here would disagree and in fact, hate the tone of them.

In the end research and opinions are good but many times they become overwhelming and loose there helpfulness! Sometimes less is more.
I couldn't agree more. After reading this thread I posted I was so confused and I still am actually between bassani and borla s type. But I think I'm just gonna stick with borla as I'm sure if I don't like them they are easy to sell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang