What mod's should I get next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What mod's should I get next?

Hey all, I'm new to posting on this forum, although I do read a lot on here. I have a 2012 grabber blue v6. So far, I have the GT wheels with Pirelli Pzero tires, Airaid cold air intake, 3.73 gears, Pypes pype bomb axleback exhaust, and I have 10 inch gt500 stripes waiting for warm weather to put them on. Any idea on what to do next? I know you will all say a tuner, but I do not want to void my warranty (half-way there, 30k miles left!). Any ideas or thoughts on what my next mod should be, throw it out there! I was thinking shorty headers because I heard they were better for v6's? thanks guys!
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Hey all, I'm new to posting on this forum, although I do read a lot on here. I have a 2012 grabber blue v6. So far, I have the GT wheels with Pirelli Pzero tires, Airaid cold air intake, 3.73 gears, Pypes pype bomb axleback exhaust, and I have 10 inch gt500 stripes waiting for warm weather to put them on. Any idea on what to do next? I know you will all say a tuner, but I do not want to void my warranty (half-way there, 30k miles left!). Any ideas or thoughts on what my next mod should be, throw it out there! I was thinking shorty headers because I heard they were better for v6's? thanks guys!
Doesn't an intake and gears void factory warranty? Unless they were installed by the dealer?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The car came with the 3.73's from the dealer, and yes but I can swap the intake off when I bring it in once or twice a year, quick 15 minute swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok gotcha. Headers sound good but that might be a pain to remove if u needed to bring it in for service. Otherwise I would start working on suspension. Lowering springs would bring the look of the car together if you already have rims.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I heard that shorty headers don't void the warranty? Or is that not true. I was going to go with the SR lowering springs because they're by far the cheapest. I saw that you need new camber plates with it but on the review people said just get an adjustable panhard and you don't need to get the camber plates. I was going to go that route since the springs come in a package with a strut tower brace for $285, versus my next choice the Eibach pro kit (springs only) for $270.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not 100 percent sure on the headers voiding the warranty but I would think they do. I've heard different things on the springs but at the very least definitely ph bar and maybe camber bolts (instead of plates.. much cheaper). Don't hold me to it though I'm still learning myself. By the way, the sr ph bar is on sale right now on American muscle.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I voided the warranty before leaving the dealers property! I've always found car warranty's about as honorable as anything Obama says. Bought my tuner @700 miles. Gear change @1400 miles. At least Fords red line shuts the fuel off!
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Not 100 percent sure on the headers voiding the warranty but I would think they do. I've heard different things on the springs but at the very least definitely ph bar and maybe camber bolts (instead of plates.. much cheaper). Don't hold me to it though I'm still learning myself. By the way, the sr ph bar is on sale right now on American muscle.
I saw it on the monthly sale which is why I was thinking of going the suspension route this month. I love AM I get all my products from there. So if I go with the adj PH bar, camber bolts, and SR springs I should be good on a stock suspension v6?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
I voided the warranty before leaving the dealers property! I've always found car warranty's about as honorable as anything Obama says. Bought my tuner @700 miles. Gear change @1400 miles. At least Fords red line shuts the fuel off!
I'm not a fan of the warranty either, however I did not pay for the car (it was a birthday present) and I really do not feel like taking over the payments for it if I void the warranty LOL. Normally I would not care, since BAMA seems to be the most reputable tuner and the 6's engine can handle it no problem, but the car has had a weird transmission "kick" when in 1st gear at slow speeds (auto transmission). Dealership INSISTS nothing is wrong with it, have had them check it 3 times the past year. I feel like they would use a tune as an excuse to void it even though it is unrelated and I will be stuck with a blown tranny a few months after I tune .
Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
For some reason im confused. You want to stick to your warranty, although air intake swap are fast no the same with headers and if you are contempleting headers with not go with tune first?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Hulk 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk 5.0 View Post
For some reason im confused. You want to stick to your warranty, although air intake swap are fast no the same with headers and if you are contempleting headers with not go with tune first?

I was told that shorty headers will not void my warranty, only LT headers do. I know for a fact that as soon as I load the tune to my car my warranty will be gone. I am getting a tune as soon as my warranty is up. 3 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. Until then I want to do mods that will give me performance without voiding the warranty.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wow I didnt knew you can put short headers and not void warranty. Its odd but cool. Lol

Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow I didnt knew you can pit short headers and not void warranty. Its odd but cool. Lol

My understanding is that Shorty's don't mess with the cat's and therefore do not void the warranty... That's my knowledge and understanding, I could be wrong and if I am please someone feel free to correct me, but its what I've always been told.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My understanding is that Shorty's don't mess with the cat's and therefore do not void the warranty... That's my knowledge and understanding, I could be wrong and if I am please someone feel free to correct me, but its what I've always been told.
For my unserstanding they are some do and donts for warranty. Unless you have a friend with ford service site or they give it to you by written I wouldnt assume that any type of modifications wouldnt void your warranty. Some minors modification isnt qualified to void warranty, but in the case are modifyng your exhaust system which goes back directly to your motor warranty.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For my unserstanding they are some do and donts for warranty. Unless you have a friend with ford service site or they give it to you by written I wouldnt assume that any type of modifications wouldnt void your warranty. Some minors modification isnt qualified to void warranty, but in the case are modifyng your exhaust system which goes back directly to your motor warranty.

Yes that is true.. I brought my car in with the after-market axlebacks on and the only thing they said it voided was the muffler warranty... and since I replaced them anyway, it was fine by me. But when you get into things that affect the engine directly that's when it gets a bit trickier.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I keep suggesting in that case what other have, a tune.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I saw it on the monthly sale which is why I was thinking of going the suspension route this month. I love AM I get all my products from there. So if I go with the adj PH bar, camber bolts, and SR springs I should be good on a stock suspension v6?
I believe so. Check with an am sales rep before you buy to make sure. That setup would cost u less than 300 dollars, not too shabby.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
If your not having front end alignment issues you can skip the camber bolts. Since your wanting to do your suspension do your springs, shocks and struts with their mounts next. You may not need the Adj PH Bar. A lot easier if your going to put on springs to do the shocks and struts at the same time.

You be surprised by the difference in how your car feels and handles.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I was told that shorty headers will not void my warranty, only LT headers do. I know for a fact that as soon as I load the tune to my car my warranty will be gone. I am getting a tune as soon as my warranty is up. 3 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. Until then I want to do mods that will give me performance without voiding the warranty.
People that are running Long Tubes sometimes are deleting their cats. On shorties, people are using the Catted X-Pipes.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
If your not having front end alignment issues you can skip the camber bolts. Since your wanting to do your suspension do your springs, shocks and struts with their mounts next. You may not need the Adj PH Bar. A lot easier if your going to put on springs to do the shocks and struts at the same time.

You be surprised by the difference in how your car feels and handles.
awesome thank you for the info... I don't have the money for the shocks and struts right now, I need to get new tires and that took up most of my free $. It's a better idea to wait and do the whole suspension at once than just put the springs on? Also, off topic but how do you like your shorty headers and what are the benefits of them vs. LT headers?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
With the SR springs you will also need the upgraded GT500 upper strut mounts. Which will set you about the same price as all the other better springs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A tune won't necessarily void the warranty, it really depends on the aggressiveness of the tune. Personally if you're worried about that go with Steeda, they have been working with Ford for a long time.

Read for yourself: Your New Car Warranty is SAFE with Steeda Parts « Steeda Blog
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
A tune won't necessarily void the warranty, it really depends on the aggressiveness of the tune. Personally if you're worried about that go with Steeda, they have been working with Ford for a long time.

Read for yourself: Your New Car Warranty is SAFE with Steeda Parts « Steeda Blog
So if I get a Steeda tuner versus a BAMA one my warranty will be fine? Any acknowledgement by Ford on this or it's just what Steeda says? Would love a tuner but I've been having tranny problems ever since I bought the car brand new and really need the warranty as I don't have the spare $ to pay for a new transmission/engine.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
So if I get a Steeda tuner versus a BAMA one my warranty will be fine? Any acknowledgement by Ford on this or it's just what Steeda says? Would love a tuner but I've been having tranny problems ever since I bought the car brand new and really need the warranty as I don't have the spare $ to pay for a new transmission/engine.
For the best answer you should give Steeda a call, I'm sure they get asked this question all the time.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you are worried about your warranty then don't do it.

If you are willing to take a chance speak with your dealership, service manager and see how they feel about it.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang