Installing GT grill on V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #1

Region: California
Installing GT grill on V6

Hi guys. I recently purchased a 2014 v6 mustang. I was thinking of replacing stock v6 grill with OEM GT grill because I like how front looks with fogs more. So I found a person who is selling the inner grill and fogs but the question is, can I install GT inner grill on v6 outer grill (i will just plasti dip outer grill or paint because chrome will look weird) ?
artem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think you have to replace the bumper too..

Atleast I had to on my 11 v6 lol not sure about the 2014s
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

+1 you have to get a GT bumper.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
So, the 2013 to 2014's do not all use the same front bumper cover?

I knew the 2011 to 2012's had different front bumper covers (V6 verses GT), but thought the 2013/2014's shared the same.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Good question?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For 13 and 14 the v6 and gt use. The same bumper, check out star key the have a plug and play kit well 2 wire taps but still an easy install. The kit includes upper and lower grill head light switch and wiring.
my04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
No no no no no no no. You DO NOT need a new bumper! All you need is the grille and the grille surround (on the V6, it's the chrome piece that outlines the grille). On the GT, the surround is black. Trust me, I put the Boss 302 grille on my V6. The GT and V6 use the exact same bumper cover.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't the grille one piece on either car? The "surround" isn't separate anymore, like on the previous model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
Isn't the grille one piece on either car? The "surround" isn't separate anymore, like on the previous model.

No still two pieces. However, the GT grille for the V6 sold on AM is, as far as I know, a one-piece application.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry yo question but are you sure? I put an actual GT grill on my 2013 and it was one piece. Maybe it separates but that wasn't obvious from my point of view.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sorry yo question but are you sure? I put an actual GT grill on my 2013 and it was one piece. Maybe it separates but that wasn't obvious from my point of view.

Where'd you buy it from? I bought my Boss 302 grille from Starkey's and they put the two pieces together before it shipped (you just have to clip it in essentially) BUT I still had to buy it as two separate pieces. I am fairly sure because I've done it myself. Lol
Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the part I'm talking about:

http://www.starkey-products.com/must...FfEDOgodZwQAiw
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think the v6 grill is one piece, but the gt grill is 2 piece (grill & surround). Either way they both use the same bumper.
2014 SGM V6 Premium Auto | Pony Pkg. | Comfort & Security Pkg. | 3:31 Rear
2008 V6 Premium Coupe (Traded)
mustangfan410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
No no no no no no no. You DO NOT need a new bumper! All you need is the grille and the grille surround (on the V6, it's the chrome piece that outlines the grille). On the GT, the surround is black. Trust me, I put the Boss 302 grille on my V6. The GT and V6 use the exact same bumper cover.
Thank you for useful info! I just really don't feel like paying so much money for that small piece. I found an inner grill with light and wires for that price. That's why I was asking if i can just use v6 original surround. I looks like it should fit but I am not sure ...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Where'd you buy it from? I bought my Boss 302 grille from Starkey's and they put the two pieces together before it shipped (you just have to clip it in essentially) BUT I still had to buy it as two separate pieces. I am fairly sure because I've done it myself. Lol
Got it from someone that took it off their GT.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it from someone that took it off their GT.

Makes sense, he gave you the grille and surround attached. You can remove them from the car as a single piece.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yeah, I take that back. You don't need a bumper. For some reason I thought I read you had a 2012 V6.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'm going to chime in since I literally just did this...the V6 are two piece grilles. The surround (chrome part) can separate from the grille but its A PAIN to do without breaking those tabs. If using a GT grille you MUST use a GT surround. The whole grille and surround can be pulled out without taking off the bumper (youtube), but get ready for some cut fingers.

Fun fact: If you buy the OEM California special grille like I did, it comes as a one piece unit with the grille surround.

***Edit*** Guess I'm late to the party with my advice...oh well. lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I'm going to chime in since I literally just did this...the V6 are two piece grilles. The surround (chrome part) can separate from the grille but its A PAIN to do without breaking those tabs. If using a GT grille you MUST use a GT surround. The whole grille and surround can be pulled out without taking off the bumper (youtube), but get ready for some cut fingers.

Fun fact: If you buy the OEM California special grille like I did, it comes as a one piece unit with the grille surround.

***Edit*** Guess I'm late to the party with my advice...oh well. lol

No you are not late to the party haha
I am still thinking of installing the grill and havent done it yet...
So you are saying i cant use chrome surround and gt grill?
Then what do you suggest i do?
Something affordable
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I would try to find a used one, or buy the complete kit. If you don't want fog lights you could get the GT/CS grille, MCA Grille, etc which would be a lot less. Ford Mustang Grille - California Special - Upper (Part No: DR3Z-8200-CC)

^^^This grille has the GT surround/grille as one piece so you just pop it in.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:
I would try to find a used one, or buy the complete kit. If you don't want fog lights you could get the GT/CS grille, MCA Grille, etc which would be a lot less. Ford Mustang Grille - California Special - Upper (Part No: DR3Z-8200-CC)

I know, i am looking for a used grill and **** but its so hard to find. And will need to purchase a switch and wires and other crap. Probably easier to purchase a kit..
Thanks for help!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem_k View Post
I know, i am looking for a used grill and **** but its so hard to find. And will need to purchase a switch and wires and other crap. Probably easier to purchase a kit..
Thanks for help!
Too nice of a car to "fabricate a switch, relay, wires, and other stuff to add the fogs. Do yourself a big favor and buy something like the Starkey kits. They come with the wiring harness already made to length and wrapped to look factory, all required end plugs to simply plug in, and the light switch (when applicable).

Pricy, but so much worth it.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
10-12 you need to swap bumpers 13+ you can just swap grilles

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

You can get scratched and dent kit for around 300 with everything you need. That what I did and mine had just one broken clip no problems at all
Old 05-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I concur with the kit suggestion. I started with having a switch so thats why I bought the grille and lights. If I don't have the switch, I would have definitely purchased an entire kit.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

JSchu it might be cheaper and easier just to by the kit from starkey
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Too nice of a car to "fabricate a switch, relay, wires, and other stuff to add the fogs. Do yourself a big favor and buy something like the Starkey kits. They come with the wiring harness already made to length and wrapped to look factory, all required end plugs to simply plug in, and the light switch (when applicable).

Pricy, but so much worth it.
100% agree with this. I bought the OEM CS fog light kit for cheap, but since it was for a GT I needed the wiring harness. I bought the Starkey one and WOW it is nicely built. You can wire the whole car in about 45 mins.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
100% agree with this. I bought the OEM CS fog light kit for cheap, but since it was for a GT I needed the wiring harness. I bought the Starkey one and WOW it is nicely built. You can wire the whole car in about 45 mins.
Yep, you get what you pay for.

I was sweeping the driveway one Saturday afternoon, when I heard a couple of guys about two houses down hollering up a storm. I saw smoke coming up from the engine bay of a Toyota truck they were working on. I ran back to my garage, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and trotted over to the truck. It was not a fire, but an electrical issue. These nuts wired a set of Hella lights they had on a light bar to the wire that connects to the alternator (from the battery). Lucky for them, this was a "fusable link", which melts as a fuse would when it is shorted to ground. They tapped into this wire, connected it to a simple switch (they cut off some insulation of the fusible link), wrapped a piece of 18 guage wire around it, then ran this to the switch. The other end of the switch had a wire to ground; mistake number two. I explained that a switch is used on the ground side of a circuit, never power (to prevent pitting of the switch contacts), and that a relay must always be used whenever powering a heavy load circuit such as these lights.

They were now upset with the fact they had a large piece of goo where a wire used to be.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #29
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Yep, you get what you pay for.

I was sweeping the driveway one Saturday afternoon, when I heard a couple of guys about two houses down hollering up a storm. I saw smoke coming up from the engine bay of a Toyota truck they were working on. I ran back to my garage, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and trotted over to the truck. It was not a fire, but an electrical issue. These nuts wired a set of Hella lights they had on a light bar to the wire that connects to the alternator (from the battery). Lucky for them, this was a "fusable link", which melts as a fuse would when it is shorted to ground. They tapped into this wire, connected it to a simple switch (they cut off some insulation of the fusible link), wrapped a piece of 18 guage wire around it, then ran this to the switch. The other end of the switch had a wire to ground; mistake number two. I explained that a switch is used on the ground side of a circuit, never power (to prevent pitting of the switch contacts), and that a relay must always be used whenever powering a heavy load circuit such as these lights.

They were now upset with the fact they had a large piece of goo where a wire used to be.

Did either have a mullet? :rock on: haha
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang