Airaid CAI - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
Well, I was really excited to get my Airaid CAI as all of the reviews I have read have had nothing but great things to say about its performance enhancements. Just opened my email to see a note from the seller saying it is illegal to have the Airaid CAI in California. I am glad I am moving out of this f****d up state in a couple of months. In the mean time, does anyone know of a way I can get around this, either by getting a CAI system that is legal in California or obtaining an Airaid some other way? Thanks.
OP, If you are looking for a really cool sound when WOT, then the CAI is super cool and winner. If your thinking power gains is what your looking for as well, NOT GONNA HAPPEN WITHOUT A TUNE. You will be waisting your money on a CAI if power gains is your goal and not getting a tune.

Again if your looking for a cool a$$ sucking sound under the hood when WOT, then CAI will be a hone run but respectfully, your not getting power gains from Airraid CAI without a tune!

I personally have Airraid CAI and love it! Sounds great, looks nicer under hood but I have a TUNE and full exhaust setup! This debate about not getting a tune for CAI's have been going on for years. I have been on these forums for over 3 1/2 years and through my research and speaking on various mustang forums, the general consensus is that getting a CAI and not a tune will net almost little to no power gains so don't bother if that's someone's goal.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
You won't get good and safe gains out of just throwing performance parts on a modern motor that is controlled by a computer (with no additional tuning), you just won't, sorry.

You can slap a huge intake, huge throttle body, long tubes, and an off-road mid pipe but the computer is still going to tell the motor to suck in and release the same amount of air that it did with the stock, restrictive parts (for example).

In this case, you could potentially even lean out your motor because with greater amount of air potentially going in, the computer doesn't know it can provide more fuel.
And there was my follow up Jimmy the Fly off the top turn buckle for the pin..exactly bro. Well said. Without the computer being told to change parameters you can slap every mod in the book on it and as long as the computer thinks there is factory parts, your gonna get factory results. Beautiful well said good sir. By all means , if the OP wants to spend 300 dollars on a CAI enjoy and Mazol Tov, however people are fooling themselves with feeling power gains to justify and feel better about there 300 dollar purchase of CAI and no tune.

Again, the sound of the cooler air being sucked down into the CAI at WOT is super cool I think and really love it. So from a sound perspective its a home run. From a performance enhancement perspective with out a tune, big STRIKE OUT!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I feel like this forum is a merry go round with the same questions. It feels like yesterday I posted this video:

where even Bama proves that a "CAI + Tune" is no different then a "CAI only" or
"tune only." The MAJOR difference is the a "CAI only" leans your motor out for more power, were the tune increases power through timing, octane and increased fuel/air draw, which is much safer for the engine.

EDIT*** Congrats to 2stangz and bucko...finally a convert! lol
I would respectfully disagree about a CAI not providing additional power gains with the right exhaust set up. Modding a car is like baking a cake. Just because one adds milk doesn't make it a cake. Just because one adds butter doesn't mean you have a full cake with no other ingredient. Modding is like cooking. The CAI is just another ingredient to the final cake being completed! A CAI alone will net nothing but add a tune , add long tube headers, add off road mid pipe, add larger throttle body, add larger intake manifold, add port and polish etc. Now the CAI nets gains and the cake is delicious. The more cooler air shoved into a engine and the faster that air is expelled out, the more power the engine produces.

I have a full exhaust set up and very pleased with my Airraid CAI and no regrets buying it. Well worth the $250 dollars I paid for it from AM! I also do love the sound it makes when I'm nailing the go pedal down to the floor. Sweet music to my ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would respectfully disagree about a CAI not providing additional power gains with the right exhaust set up. Modding a car is like baking a cake. Just because one adds milk doesn't make it a cake. Just because one adds butter doesn't mean you have a full cake with no other ingredient. Modding is like cooking. The CAI is just another ingredient to the final cake being completed! A CAI alone will net nothing but add a tune , add long tube headers, add off road mid pipe, add larger throttle body, add larger intake manifold, add port and polish etc. Now the CAI nets gains and the cake is delicious. The more cooler air shoved into a engine and the faster that air is expelled out, the more power the engine produces.

I have a full exhaust set up and very pleased with my Airraid CAI and no regrets buying it. Well worth the $250 dollars I paid for it from AM! I also do love the sound it makes when I'm nailing the go pedal down to the floor. Sweet music to my ears.
Another way of putting it...

My comments on the CAI alone were based on just that; adding just a cold air intake will not produce significant power gains than the stock box, especially one that says a tuner is not required. These won't flow any better than the stock box, hense the non requirement for a tune. However, add some additional "ingredients" (like your cake theory), and the outcome is acheived.

If a CAI is to be purchased, buy one that requires a tuner, meaning it will work better when the mapping of fuel and air is altered. And to get all that out, modify the exhaust.

In simpler terms, plan, and buy so that all the performance mods compliment and work with each other to produce the gains.

I like cake though; you have made me hungry for a slice!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Another way of putting it...

My comments on the CAI alone were based on just that; adding just a cold air intake will not produce significant power gains than the stock box, especially one that says a tuner is not required. These won't flow any better than the stock box, hense the non requirement for a tune. However, add some additional "ingredients" (like your cake theory), and the outcome is acheived.

If a CAI is to be purchased, buy one that requires a tuner, meaning it will work better when the mapping of fuel and air is altered. And to get all that out, modify the exhaust.

In simpler terms, plan, and buy so that all the performance mods compliment and work with each other to produce the gains.

I like cake though; you have made me hungry for a slice!
Yes sir. I was directing my comment towards paintman 111. Ha ha ha! You and I good sir are on the same page. Now let me buy you a slice of cake.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Yumm. German chocolate please!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Perfectly put. It's like baking a cake. I purchased my Cold air intake knowing that I would eventually be getting a tuner once my warranty is up. I got it at half price so it made more sense to buy it now for $150 then in 2 years for $275+. I do not expect power gains now, however it looks so much better than the stock intake, and sounds amazing coupled with my aftermarket exhaust. I also wrapped the arm of the CAI in carbon fiber vinyl and it looks SO FREAKIN GOOD under the hood. awesome touch for under $10.
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yumm. German chocolate please!
Okay. Sounds great bro
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Perfectly put. It's like baking a cake. I purchased my Cold air intake knowing that I would eventually be getting a tuner once my warranty is up. I got it at half price so it made more sense to buy it now for $150 then in 2 years for $275+. I do not expect power gains now, however it looks so much better than the stock intake, and sounds amazing coupled with my aftermarket exhaust. I also wrapped the arm of the CAI in carbon fiber vinyl and it looks SO FREAKIN GOOD under the hood. awesome touch for under $10.
Heck yeah bro. The CAI is just one more piece of the ingredients. Ha ha ha. I do love that sound at wot
Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Heck yeah bro. The CAI is just one more piece of the ingredients. Ha ha ha. I do love that sound at wot
Any tips on how to make the sucking louder? I can hear it when I drive, It's just not as loud as some of the videos on youtube. Some of the people are also holding the camera a foot away from the intake with the hood open though.... idk if it's just me being OCD or not, but I swear my car sounds different (exhaust and intake) depending on the day. Idk if its because my engine or mufflers aren't warmed up, etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Any tips on how to make the sucking louder? I can hear it when I drive, It's just not as loud as some of the videos on youtube. Some of the people are also holding the camera a foot away from the intake with the hood open though.... idk if it's just me being OCD or not, but I swear my car sounds different (exhaust and intake) depending on the day. Idk if its because my engine or mufflers aren't warmed up, etc.
Man, you got me on that one. How to make that whooshing , sucking air into it louder when wot. Not sure about that boss. Help please guys. Lol
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #47
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Add the sound tube that's used on the factory GT's; it plumbs the sound into the cabin. I had one installed on my 2011 for awhile, but got tired of it.

I enjoy the radio, and occasionally the exhaust and intake sounds resulting blip of my right foot.

Want one cheap? PM me. Just make sure your CAI has the connector tube to allow for it. If your CAI is exclusive to a V6, it most likely does not have one, and you'd have to modify it with a PVC type fitting. Or, if your Mustang is equipped with a manual transmission, and the CAI has the fitting thats used for the automatics and is capped off, this can be used for the sound tube install.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Add the sound tube that's used on the factory GT's; it plumbs the sound into the cabin. I had one installed on my 2011 for awhile, but got tired of it.

I enjoy the radio, and occasionally the exhaust and intake sounds resulting blip of my right foot.

Want one cheap? PM me. Just make sure your CAI has the connector tube to allow for it. If your CAI is exclusive to a V6, it most likely does not have one, and you'd have to modify it with a PVC type fitting. Or, if your Mustang is equipped with a manual transmission, and the CAI has the fitting thats used for the automatics and is capped off, this can be used for the sound tube install.
Mine is specific for v6's and it's an automatic . Guess I'm just gonna have to keep my windows down when I wanna hear it loud.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I have heard of folks that will install a nipple in their aftermarket CAI (required on the V6 CAI's only) to allow the sound tube to work. Everything else in the V6 is there to install the sound tube; remove the black plug at the drivers side firewall, route the sound tube, and you have it.

The problem is taking the first step in drilling a hole in your expensive CAI tube....too bad the 5.0 and 3.7's did not share the same air tube; the bends are different to work with the placement of the throttle body; in the front for the 5.0's and sidways for the 3.7.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so I have been thinking about this, and wondering, will a tune really be effective if I don't have any mods yet? I understand that mods in themselves without a tune will not have much impact, but if I use a tune when I have not made any mods to my car to tune, then isn't that just messing up the computer?
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, so I have been thinking about this, and wondering, will a tune really be effective if I don't have any mods yet? I understand that mods in themselves without a tune will not have much impact, but if I use a tune when I have not made any mods to my car to tune, then isn't that just messing up the computer?
Bro, a tune is huge for no mods. Its amazing and a must first have mod. Get it bro regardless if you not having any mods. Your not messing up the computer. Your enhancing the cars power HP and torque, throttle response and firm up those horrible, sloppy factory shift points for us auto guys. Lol
Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

What part of my comment said they didn't make power? I said they don't make SAFE power compared to a stock box with tune.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Convert?I've been preaching the stock intake over the CAI's that are out there since the intro of the 3.7's.

Many convince themselves of a good purchase, and thats fine. But significant power increases for its buck with a CAI only? Nope. If you want power, the money spent can be applied towards more significant purchases.
In response to this I was saying you finally converted someone away from buying one...
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What part of my comment said they didn't make power? Show me where I said they don't make power... I said they don't make SAFE power.
Your the only person I have ever heard say an aftermarket CAI is not safe and makes unsafe power. If the tunning company knows what there doing and are reputable they will set the correct commands based on your mods for safe levels. No way companies like Steeda, Bama, MPT, Lund, VMP are setting commands to run your CAI lean.

I have my car dyno and my commands are text book safe and not running lean. In fact, my car is more likely to be running a tad rich because many tuning companies don't want to blow your engine up. Bad for future business. So many don't command your mods to run lean especially a CAI.

Respectfully, where do people come up with this stuff. I have been on assorted mustang forums for over 3 1/2 years, countless CAI threads and debates but NEVER have I heard someone claim a CAI makes unsafe power by running your engine lean!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Your the only person I have ever heard say an aftermarket CAI is not safe and makes unsafe power. If the tunning company knows what there doing and are reputable they will set the correct commands based on your mods for safe levels. No way companies like Steeda, Bama, MPT, Lund, VMP are setting commands to run your CAI lean.

I have my car dyno and my commands are text book safe and not running lean. In fact, my car is more likely to be running a tad rich because many tuning companies don't want to blow your engine up. Bad for future business. So many don't command your mods to run lean especially a CAI.

Respectfully, where do people come up with this stuff. I have been on assorted mustang forums for over 3 1/2 years, countless CAI threads and debates but NEVER have I heard someone claim a CAI makes unsafe power by running your engine lean!
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bro, a tune is huge for no mods. Its amazing and a must first have mod. Get it bro regardless if you not having any mods. Your not messing up the computer. Your enhancing the cars power HP and torque, throttle response and firm up those horrible, sloppy factory shift points for us auto guys. Lol
Can't go wrong with a good tune you will gain the most potential out of your stock set up and at a relative cheap price.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #57
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
In response to this I was saying you finally converted someone away from buying one...
Gotcha. My wife of 30 years says I'm slow at times when catching her meaning; this simply proves that perhaps she's right.

Please don't tell her that!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha. My wife of 30 years says I'm slow at times when catching her meaning; this simply proves that perhaps she's right.

Please don't tell her that!

You're never supposed to admit your wife is right. And the fact that it is now immortalized forever in writing on the internet? May God have mercy on your soul.
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're never supposed to admit your wife is right. And the fact that it is now immortalized forever in writing on the internet? May God have mercy on your soul.
Ha ha ha ha
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL...
Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
CAI on s197 3.7 V6 are as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
CAI on s197 3.7 V6 are as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle
Kind of useless like GT emblems on a 3.7 model, right Toydos? Ha ha ha
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Or the go fast side stripes on your ride
Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Guys play nice, please don't thread jack.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Ha ha ha ha ha! I think the C stripes add HP and torque like the CAI does. Lol. I read that somewhere. I do love my CAI and highly recommend one along with Cobra ,5.0 and GT emblems all over. Lmfao!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1 agree to disagree.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

+1 agree to disagree.
Airraid is a good brand and good choice for upgrade.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Lmao. Useless that adds HP kona c'mon!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question: me and my brother both have mustangs v6 and we just bought the air raid cai
One combo with tuner and other just the intake.
Can I use the tuner for both or just one per car??
XxVenomxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Lmao. Useless that adds HP kona c'mon!
Ha ha ha ha ha! Well. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai