Airaid CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid CAI

Well, I was really excited to get my Airaid CAI as all of the reviews I have read have had nothing but great things to say about its performance enhancements. Just opened my email to see a note from the seller saying it is illegal to have the Airaid CAI in California. I am glad I am moving out of this f****d up state in a couple of months. In the mean time, does anyone know of a way I can get around this, either by getting a CAI system that is legal in California or obtaining an Airaid some other way? Thanks.
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
Well, I was really excited to get my Airaid CAI as all of the reviews I have read have had nothing but great things to say about its performance enhancements. Just opened my email to see a note from the seller saying it is illegal to have the Airaid CAI in California. I am glad I am moving out of this f****d up state in a couple of months. In the mean time, does anyone know of a way I can get around this, either by getting a CAI system that is legal in California or obtaining an Airaid some other way? Thanks.

If you are moving in a few months, why don't you just install it? Unless you have to pass emissions in between now and the time you move out of the state! Also, I don't wanna burst your bubble, but you won't see any performance gains with a CAI without a tune.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
If you are moving in a few months, why don't you just install it? Unless you have to pass emissions in between now and the time you move out of the state! Also, I don't wanna burst your bubble, but you won't see any performance gains with a CAI without a tune.

My problem is they won't even ship me the part because I live in California. I would have no problem installing it otherwise. Secondly, Airaid is a no tune CAI and from all of the reviews I've read of it, people noticed performance gains right away without a tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:

I live in Cali too and this is why you dont sell stock parts. Smog is every two years. When you buy a new car there is no smog test until the 7th year. If youre leaving you wont have an issue. Unless you give the cops a reason to look under your hood you'll be fine.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My problem is they won't even ship me the part because I live in California. I would have no problem installing it otherwise. Secondly, Airaid is a no tune CAI and from all of the reviews I've read of it, people noticed performance gains right away without a tune.
Where are u buying it from? I bought mine here in Cali with no problem!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I just talked to a guy at BBK which happens to be down the street from me, and even though their intake has not been CARB approved yet, he said it's no problem for them to sell it. Apparently the dealer I ordered from online is just a bit crazy about the law. Does anyone know anything about the BBK and how it compares to the Airaid. It is a no tune intake like the Airaid, which is what I want, but other than that I don't know anything about it. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I just talked to a guy at BBK which happens to be down the street from me, and even though their intake has not been CARB approved yet, he said it's no problem for them to sell it. Apparently the dealer I ordered from online is just a bit crazy about the law. Does anyone know anything about the BBK and how it compares to the Airaid. It is a no tune intake like the Airaid, which is what I want, but other than that I don't know anything about it. Thanks.

You live in Temecula?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
There really isn't much if any performance enhancements with it. It will produce a nice sound at wot and look nice under the hood but that's about the extent of it.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Personally I think the BBK looks cheap. The Airraid looks like it should have come on the car from the factory.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U shouldn't have a problem buying it at AM I bought mine from there & shipped to cali with no issue! All the intakes are the same basically u will get very very minimal gains if any! I'd spend my money on a tune 1st if u want performance gains! If u really want a CAI id go with JLT it's the cheapest & looks the best IMO & does the exact same as the rest! The only reason to spend extra money on a CAI is if u like the looks of another one or if it's tune required!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
They don't speak the truth! In no way can you detect any gains in performance by way of "seat of the pants" with any CAI. What I suspect they are attempting to describe is the roar they hear when they depress the drive by wire pedal (formerly known as a gas pedal).
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...6/#post2005388

you are welcome.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Order the Airaid CAI off of American Muscle, use a coupon code for $15 or so off, get it super fast, install it in 20 minutes, and have a sweet looking and sounding CAI!! I have an Airaid CAI and I could not be happier. I do not have a tune, and I chose Airaid because it does not require a tune, and looks the nicest under the hood. I would definitely use American Muscle to purchase it, rather than go through ebay or an independent seller.
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Bucko, I disagree. The placebo affect has been proven multiple times.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Not understanding what you are inferring by "placebo effect". I was suggesting to the OP that buying it new off of AM at a discount is a good option, since the seller he was getting from would not ship it to CA. Buying it new you get it new and know its working, warranty, great customer service from AM, and the peace of mind that its always been yours and don't have to wonder how many miles/what condition it will be in. I was not saying "you HAVE to buy it off of AM new or you will have a horrible product. Merely suggesting to the OP an option, especially if he had trouble shipping it to CA.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Not understanding what you are inferring by "placebo effect". I was suggesting to the OP that buying it new off of AM at a discount is a good option, since the seller he was getting from would not ship it to CA. Buying it new you get it new and know its working, warranty, great customer service from AM, and the peace of mind that its always been yours and don't have to wonder how many miles/what condition it will be in. I was not saying "you HAVE to buy it off of AM new or you will have a horrible product. Merely suggesting to the OP an option, especially if he had trouble shipping it to CA.
I think he was referring to bucko's post not urs.
& I think OP was buying from a vender NEW that didn't want to ship to CA because of the law..I can be wrong tho but that's what I understood from what OP said. But I agree buy it from AM thru will ship it to CA they did to me!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
+1 Cold air placebotakes are a great purchase.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I've read a lot of reviews of these CAIs that have not been tuned where people have had improved performance with increased pull, torque and gas mileage. I have not seen more than a couple of reviews of these products that say there was no noticeable difference in performance. I certainly don't want to spend $300 just because something under the hood looks good, without any improvement in performance. If I'm going to spend money on something that looks good, it will be on the outside of the car where people can actually see it and appreciate the look.

I'm a little nervous of what a tune might do to my car as I've read some horror stories about tunes messing up the computer and screwing with the acceleration. I would much rather put something physical in my engine that will improve performance. And since there are over 100 reviews of the Airaid on AM saying there was noticeable improvement, I think I am going to go with their experience. Of course if I purchase the CAI and see no performance, I will be the first to come on here and let you say "I told you so."
Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I think he was referring to bucko's post not urs.
& I think OP was buying from a vender NEW that didn't want to ship to CA because of the law..I can be wrong tho but that's what I understood from what OP said. But I agree buy it from AM thru will ship it to CA they did to me!

You would be correct. It was brand new from a vendor outside of California that for some reason thought that by sending me the CAI they would be in trouble with California. Not sure it works that way.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
You live in Temecula?

Right outside of Temecula. Are you also in the 951?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You would be correct. It was brand new from a vendor outside of California that for some reason thought that by sending me the CAI they would be in trouble with California. Not sure it works that way.
I've heard of vendors not wanting I ship Long tune headers to CA because they weren't carb legal but idk of they would actually get in trouble. As far as gains go if u really want good gains a CAI isn't going to do much. Most of those reviews are just the placebo effect..that plus people don't wanna tell themselves they just spent $300 on a cool sounding eye candy! The only time u might see gains is when u have full exhaust & a tune! A tune is the BEST mod I can do it'll change ur car completely!! As long as u get a reputable tuner u will be fine..there's a ton of people on here running tunes with no issues but of course there's gonna be some people with issues but that comes with anything once u start to mod!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Right outside of Temecula. Are you also in the 951?
Yes sir...Winchester to be exact.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You won't get good and safe gains out of just throwing performance parts on a modern motor that is controlled by a computer (with no additional tuning), you just won't, sorry.

You can slap a huge intake, huge throttle body, long tubes, and an off-road mid pipe but the computer is still going to tell the motor to suck in and release the same amount of air that it did with the stock, restrictive parts (for example).

In this case, you could potentially even lean out your motor because with greater amount of air potentially going in, the computer doesn't know it can provide more fuel.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I've read a lot of reviews of these CAIs that have not been tuned where people have had improved performance with increased pull, torque and gas mileage. I have not seen more than a couple of reviews of these products that say there was no noticeable difference in performance. I certainly don't want to spend $300 just because something under the hood looks good, without any improvement in performance. If I'm going to spend money on something that looks good, it will be on the outside of the car where people can actually see it and appreciate the look.

I'm a little nervous of what a tune might do to my car as I've read some horror stories about tunes messing up the computer and screwing with the acceleration. I would much rather put something physical in my engine that will improve performance. And since there are over 100 reviews of the Airaid on AM saying there was noticeable improvement, I think I am going to go with their experience. Of course if I purchase the CAI and see no performance, I will be the first to come on here and let you say "I told you so."
If you do some serious searching, you will see that 99% of CAI's especially those that advertise "no tune required" do not flow any better than the stock air intake. Ford really did a good job in getting the most air into the 3.7; designing the intake runners to "swoop" over the passenger side of the block, and tuned the intake to complement this.

Adding only a CAI, and with no tune, will gain you a better looking intake, and some noise when you press the right pedal (the stock intake can be modified to do this as well), but not any more performance then what your stock setup provides now. Do these "sites" provide any before and after dyno results? If they say "up to 12 HP gains, then this is real moot; nothing would be "felt". It's best to save the money, and buy a CAI/Tuner package. Many here have tunes, and with no ill effects to the engine and drivetrain. Also remember, those that sell CAI's are in business, they sell parts to make money.

Should you pursue your performance gains with a tune, you'll be sorry you did not purchase a CAI combination setup; those that are sold as a package with a tuner. This, along with a free flowing exhaust, will provide some real performance gains.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Placebo Effect

an explanation of placebos.....cliff notes: they are sugar pills that people expect to work and often do but they don't tend to work for long.

I will echo what others have said, buy a CAI for looks and sound I doubt there is any performance gains to be had with one alone. I scored a Airaid used and am very happy with the sound. I put the other link to the used section since that is what I'd be getting if I didn't already have one.

oh yeah, AM rocks but I know the guy selling the used one well, I know him from another forum and he's the "real deal"...... pun intended for those that know him
Old 05-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you everyone for your advice. After doing some more thorough research I realized what everyone on here has been saying, which is that there really isn't even a question, CAIs alone just do not add to performance. I suppose it is a blessing that my order was cancelled, because I think I would have been disappointed. Unfortunately $700 is just too much to spend on a combo right now.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the Airaid/tuner combo from AM when it was on sale, other than sound and eye candy its completely useless for any performance, i was one of those that fell into that "performance" trap from an aftermarket CAI. Its well documented that the stock OEM air box is more than adequate and not restrictive in anyway. If your looking for any performance look elsewhere, and not into a CAI.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. After doing some more thorough research I realized what everyone on here has been saying, which is that there really isn't even a question, CAIs alone just do not add to performance. I suppose it is a blessing that my order was cancelled, because I think I would have been disappointed. Unfortunately $700 is just too much to spend on a combo right now.
Even with a tune there is not much if anything to gain from it. They are about as useful as Axel backs for performance, but at least your ride will sound cool. Lol

Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well bucko (and others), looks like our days of trying to get the truth out about CAIs on the 10'/11'+ have finally been victorious.

@blp12 - CAI's aren't bad. But their bang for the buck ratio is nothing like it used to be on older cars. If you were to ask me, I'd say skip the CAI combo and just take the $700 get a custom tune ($400ish) and spend the other $300 on something that will actually be worth $300 like axle-backs or an O/R mid-pipe (although you're in Cali, prob not an option for you).
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get the tune only u will be more than happy!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

Go to the Mustang DIY and Technical section and look for my post "3.7 OEM Air Intake Silencer Delete". It shows what I did to get a little more sound out of the intake when stepping on it.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like this forum is a merry go round with the same questions. It feels like yesterday I posted this video:

where even Bama proves that a "CAI + Tune" is no different then a "CAI only" or
"tune only." The MAJOR difference is the a "CAI only" leans your motor out for more power, were the tune increases power through timing, octane and increased fuel/air draw, which is much safer for the engine.

EDIT*** Congrats to 2stangz and bucko...finally a convert! lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I got my Airaid CAI for $150 and I could not be happier with it. I am aware that it only gives you a few horsepower on a warm day with the wind blowing directly in your favor, etc. etc. LOL. However, it was such a good price that I could not pass it up. My 6 sounds amazing with aftermarket axlebacks and the CAI. It will also make under my hood look a lot better for the American Muscle Mustang show in Pennsylvania on Aug. 16th
Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I feel like this forum is a merry go round with the same questions. It feels like yesterday I posted this video:

where even Bama proves that a "CAI + Tune" is no different then a "CAI only" or
"tune only." The MAJOR difference is the a "CAI only" leans your motor out for more power, were the tune increases power through timing, octane and increased fuel/air draw, which is much safer for the engine.

EDIT*** Congrats to 2stangz and bucko...finally a convert! lol
Convert?I've been preaching the stock intake over the CAI's that are out there since the intro of the 3.7's.

Many convince themselves of a good purchase, and thats fine. But significant power increases for its buck with a CAI only? Nope. If you want power, the money spent can be applied towards more significant purchases.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:

thanks for posting my link.. this is also in the classifieds section and I will ship to California lol

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai