H-pipe or headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
H-pipe or headers

I'm looking to get a deeper, louder, and meaner sound from my setup. I am thinking about either BBK shorty headers, or picking up a catted h pipe from lethal performance. I'm not looking to get a tune quite yet though. I currently just have a pypes axle back.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The shorty headers will give your exhaust a slight deeper tone but wont make it louder, at least with my set up it didn't. I'm pretty happy with them, but I should have shelled out the extra 100$ for the ceramic ones just for the eye candy and heat reduction.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You have the factory hybrid x/y pipe right? I think an h-pipe with high-flow cats would be a good investment. If that doesn't do it, try headers as well.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

yea at the moment I'm leaning towards headers because I can get them for under 300 from AM.

The catted H-pipe they want nearly 600 for.

I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MAC also has a set of shorties.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

I looked at Mac as well. Specifically their pro-chamber, but as far as I know no one on here has pulled the trigger on one yet.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
yea at the moment I'm leaning towards headers because I can get them for under 300 from AM.

Would you be installing the headers yourself, though? I'd imagine a mid-pipe would be something that could easily be done at home in no time compared to a header install, which not everyone can do at home (so that's where you'd spend another arm and leg on top of the price of the headers).
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I looked at Mac as well. Specifically their pro-chamber, but as far as I know no one on here has pulled the trigger on one yet.
Well someone on this forum has to so might as well be you right?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have an Pyoes off road H pipe with Pypes axle back. Florida I can go with Cats removed. It did require a tune though. Here's a link for what its worth:

2013 Mustang GT Exhaust Pypes Off Road H-pipe with Pype Bomb axle back BAMA Tuned - YouTube

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I have an Pyoes off road H pipe with Pypes axle back. Florida I can go with Cats removed. It did require a tune though. Here's a link for what its worth:

2013 Mustang GT Exhaust Pypes Off Road H-pipe with Pype Bomb axle back BAMA Tuned - YouTube
Sorry, hit submit then realized this was for v6's
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Would you be installing the headers yourself, though? I'd imagine a mid-pipe would be something that could easily be done at home in no time compared to a header install, which not everyone can do at home (so that's where you'd spend another arm and leg on top of the price of the headers).

I would not install headers myself, but I would definitely do the mid pipe
Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I'm pulling the trigger at the end of the month. I have flowmaster 40's but will be changing over to borla S type catback in the winter. Go to mac's website. They have the box, catted, and off road. And remember, AM will price match so you'll get it for $470 instead of $520
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I'm pulling the trigger at the end of the month. I have flowmaster 40's but will be changing over to borla S type catback in the winter. Go to mac's website. They have the box, catted, and off road. And remember, AM will price match so you'll get it for $470 instead of $520

Are you referring to the pro chamber
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you referring to the pro chamber

Yeah, I am. I love their hollow sound they produce. The depth can't be reached by your simple H pipe
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Spend the extra $100 and get the ceramic coated ones. They have a better finish than the chrome ones.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Spend the extra $100 and get the ceramic coated ones. They have a better finish than the chrome ones.
+1 am has the mac ceramic shorties on sale this month.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Also have better bends than BBK. Ceramic stays chrome and keeps the temps down too
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

H-pipe or headers

I am now seriously considering a pro chamber. Since I'm really just trying to get sound. My only concern is the fact that they're cat-less.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Looking / at the moment / looked / would / considering / . Just get it done and document with pictures
Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
+1 am has the mac ceramic shorties on sale this month.
I would also try the macs before the bbk, I was quite disappointed in the quality of the bbks even after I sent this first set back due to rust. They are full of weld spatter inside and out, and still had bits of rust, but decided to just keep them the second time around. These aren't end of the world defects but Im very surprised by the lack of quality for a "made in the U.S.A" product!

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I would also try the macs before the bbk, I was quite disappointed in the quality of the bbks even after I sent this first set back due to rust. They are full of weld spatter inside and out, and still had bits of rust, but decided to just keep them the second time around. These aren't end of the world defects but Im very surprised by the lack of quality for a "made in the U.S.A" product!

That's great to know actually. I was only considering bbk because I thought it was popular
Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's great to know actually. I was only considering bbk because I thought it was popular
Look at the pictures of the macs on american muscles site, they have better individual tubing.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Sorry, hit submit then realized this was for v6's

Dang that sounds good! So there's no way this would sound somewhat the same on a 2014 v6? This is the sound I'm going for...
PatMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMan17 View Post
Dang that sounds good! So there's no way this would sound somewhat the same on a 2014 v6? This is the sound I'm going for...
Nope.lol

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #24

Lol of course... So what should I do for a sound like that ?
PatMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Get a 5.0. Lol

Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Get a 5.0. Lol

Any one that says their V6 sounds like a V8 is just full of shiz.

Each motor has it's own distinct sound.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post

+1, I think these 3.7s sound great and we should all embrace the sound these fantastic V6's have!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

Try telling that to people at my school... Jealous b*stards. Most of them supposedly think that V6's sound BETTER than my V8... Psh. I could go on and on about it, I'll just name 2 examples, a "friend" who has a Toyota matrix and thinks it's the best thing in 4 wheels(dude is a ricer, all show, no go) and a kid no one likes said a Mustang down the street sounded much better than mine... I know which one he is talking about, it's a 3.7, no way that sounds better than a 5.0, but does sound good.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Try telling that to people at my school... Jealous b*stards. Most of them supposedly think that V6's sound BETTER than my V8... Psh. I could go on and on about it, I'll just name 2 examples, a "friend" who has a Toyota matrix and thinks it's the best thing in 4 wheels(dude is a ricer, all show, no go) and a kid no one likes said a Mustang down the street sounded much better than mine... I know which one he is talking about, it's a 3.7, no way that sounds better than a 5.0, but does sound good.
Just so you know the best sounding mustang is an old school foxbody with a 347 lurking under the hood.

Nuff siad

Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just so you know the best sounding mustang is an old school foxbody with a 347 lurking under the hood.

Nuff siad

Wouldn't doubt it, a V8 old school sounds great.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nuff siad
Yep the sound of the foxbody is where the madness started
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Also, the guy that drives the matrix shouted something at me when I revved in the school parking lot, I just shouted back and it made him hang his head in shame(:
Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

Are you graduating this year?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Are you graduating this year?

In less than a month, June 6
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
In less than a month, June 6

Heading to college?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang