Headlight Bulbs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Headlight Bulbs

I know there have been similar threads to this, but from what I saw none answered the question I'm asking. I currently have the Raxiom Smoked Halos and I'm about to take them out for the factory headlight assembly. I just ordered smoked headlight tint from LMR to install on my factory assemblies. My question is, what is the brightes bulb I can purchased with out going the HID route. I guess to a degree I'm use to low visibility do to the Raxiom lights, just trying to get as much visibility as possible
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
These:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx

And HID bulbs in a non HID headlight housing provide no additional "usable" light, but rather splatter the light. HID's require HID projection housings to work as designed.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you Sir!!!!!!!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You bet. I've had them in my F150, and in my current Mustang; they do extend the useful light of conventional headlight assemblies.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I read some reviews that they have burned out quick, I'll assume that isn't the case with yours. Are you using the H11 or the H13/9008 in your mustang?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
I know there have been similar threads to this, but from what I saw none answered the question I'm asking. I currently have the Raxiom Smoked Halos and I'm about to take them out for the factory headlight assembly. I just ordered smoked headlight tint from LMR to install on my factory assemblies. My question is, what is the brightes bulb I can purchased with out going the HID route. I guess to a degree I'm use to low visibility do to the Raxiom lights, just trying to get as much visibility as possible
You will be fine with 35W HID kit for the Raxiom. I'm getting ready to order the Raxiom smoked halo's myself. The fix for the light output issue or lack there of light output with the halogen bulbs is getting 35W HID'S. They will not melt the housing. I say this based on research of other Raxiom users and even American muscle for no issues with housing melting with 35W Hid's ..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You will be fine with 35W HID kit for the Raxiom. I'm getting ready to order the Raxiom smoked halo's myself. The fix for the light output issue or lack there of light output with the halogen bulbs is getting 35W HID'S. They will not melt the housing. I say this based on research of other Raxiom users and even American muscle for no issues with housing melting with 35W Hid's ..

I think you are missing something. I'm getting rid of My raxiom and going back to my factory OEM headlights. I'm looking for the brightest bulb I can get considering I'm putting tents on the lens
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you are missing something. I'm getting rid of My raxiom and going back to my factory OEM headlights. I'm looking for the brightest bulb I can get considering I'm putting tents on the lens
Why you getting rid of your Raxiom smoked halo's? Couldn't you still use 35W hid in the factory housing
Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
I'm not too sure if this would work but try getting 'retrofit hid projectors' for your stock headlight assembly. Use your current HIDs and you should be golden with smoked tint. It be little $$ though.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow, your wires melted. Geez. From what? Were you past the two year warranty from Raxiom on them. The reviews on AM of them are great just poor light output with halogen bulbs.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, your wires melted. Geez. From what? Were you past the two year warranty from Raxiom on them. The reviews on AM of them are great just poor light output with halogen bulbs.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Umm I don't think the headlight assembly itself is responsible for melting his wires, but the HIDs in it. Poor quality, short circuited blast..you name it.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Bought them from another member on this forum who upgraded. People on this site have even had similar issues. Google it. The most common one I have come across is one of the issues I dealt with. That's the connector melting and having to splice a new one on
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

Umm I don't think the headlight assembly itself is responsible for melting his wires, but the HIDs in it. Poor quality, short circuited blast..you name it.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
So you did put HID's in the Raxiom headlights?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bought them from another member on this forum who upgraded. People on this site have even had similar issues. Google it. The most common one I have come across is one of the issues I dealt with. That's the connector melting and having to splice a new one on
So you did put HID's in the Raxiom headlights? Perhaps I need to rethink buying them but my god they look amazing and love its look. The only issues I have read up until now (which I greatly appreciate) with them was people complaining about the light output from halogen lights even the silver star Sylvania brand.

It seemed from customer reviews on AM site to install 35W HID's and good to go. People said no issue with housing being melted from what I saw but perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you just were the few unlucky customers to get a faulty unit. Lol. I thought Raxiom made good products. I know there new LED DRL's are fantastic on my 2011 model and are super bright.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No, mine are not HID. I heard negatives about those too, but I will not try to talk you out of it. As far as night time you can see, but reading street signs will be poor in residential areas. I really don't care, since I know where I'm going before I go anyway. Also during heavy rain in residential areas the road is hard to see. One thing I planned to do and still might when I put my Smoked OEM headlights back in is to get the fog light set up. That will definitely add to you your night time road visibility.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, mine are not HID. I heard negatives about those too, but I will not try to talk you out of it. As far as night time you can see, but reading street signs will be poor in residential areas. I really don't care, since I know where I'm going before I go anyway. Also during heavy rain in residential areas the road is hard to see. One thing I planned to do and still might when I put my Smoked OEM headlights back in is to get the fog light set up. That will definitely add to you your night time road visibility.
What negatives have you heard about HID's? Was your Raxiom lights not under warranty?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Another issue of installing HID type lights/ballasts in a non HID headlight housing other than perhaps melting is the annoying light "splatter" it produces. Folks think this is a brighter light, but in reality, this light is not projected forward (in non HID headlight housings) but rather sideways, so you loose light distance.

For HID's to be effective, they need a projection type housing. Look at the 2013 Mustangs (and up) or any other vehicle that came with them as a factory option or OEM equipped; you'll notice the housing within the headlight assembly is a round projection unit. This focuses the light as a beam forward.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Tyriqq,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience you had with these lights. For the most part these lights have been quite reliable for us and have given us few problems. We did a have a couple of bad batches, but the current inventory has been fairly problem free.

These do come with a 2 year warranty and obviously we would be happy to swap them out for you. If you would rather go another route, we can also take a return, send you out a label, and issue you a refund. Either way here, send me a PM, last thing we want is to leave you with bad set of lights and a bad taste in your mouth.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you've experienced during this circumstance. I can assure you we will get it resolved in a timely manner. I will wait on you PM on how to proceed.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

Tyriqq,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience you had with these lights. For the most part these lights have been quite reliable for us and have given us few problems. We did a have a couple of bad batches, but the current inventory has been fairly problem free.

These do come with a 2 year warranty and obviously we would be happy to swap them out for you. If you would rather go another route, we can also take a return, send you out a label, and issue you a refund. Either way here, send me a PM, last thing we want is to leave you with bad set of lights and a bad taste in your mouth.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you've experienced during this circumstance. I can assure you we will get it resolved in a timely manner. I will wait on you PM on how to proceed.

-Dan
I love its look of them and my pair are ordered. And yet another reason why AM is my go to pony parts company. Dan, has yet again looked out for the interests of AM's customers and goes above and beyond.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I love its look of them and my pair are ordered. And yet another reason why AM is my go to pony parts company. Dan, has yet again looked out for the interests of AM's customers and goes above and beyond.
+1. And I also love those headlights.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

+1. And I also love those headlights.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Did you order them as well?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you order them as well?
No, I have the HIDs (13) and I like them.....for now lol, but if I didn't, those lights would have been one of my first appearance mods. Love the look of them!! They will look great on your ride bro!!!!

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

No, I have the HIDs (13) and I like them.....for now lol, but if I didn't, those lights would have been one of my first appearance mods. Love the look of them!! They will look great on your ride bro!!!!

Thanks bro. They are bad a$$ looking.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #25

Raxiom projector head lights look real good! I buildt in the Helo mono chrome. BUT the high beam brightness drives me creasy. It is actuated by an internal flap in the projector, (one/same bulb for low and high), and now the mystery starts: activating the high beam leads to less brightness ?! Turning on the high beam, I can hardly notice that the beam is wider and longer but less brightness in the area of the low beam. If I take out the bulb from the projector and switch from low to high beam, the bulb looses brightness ? Does anyone has a solution? !PLEASE! (exept buing other brands)
StefStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #27

philips xtreme power H13 (60/55w)
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefStef View Post
Raxiom projector head lights look real good! I buildt in the Helo mono chrome. BUT the high beam brightness drives me creasy. It is actuated by an internal flap in the projector, (one/same bulb for low and high), and now the mystery starts: activating the high beam leads to less brightness ?! Turning on the high beam, I can hardly notice that the beam is wider and longer but less brightness in the area of the low beam. If I take out the bulb from the projector and switch from low to high beam, the bulb looses brightness ? Does anyone has a solution? !PLEASE! (exept buing other brands)
I would get rid of those Halogen bulbs and step up to a good set of HID's for those Raxiom smoked projection halo lights. That's what I did for mine. I can't wait to install both of them. I would get 35W 5000-6000k HID's, which should give off far more light output than standard halogen bulbs.

Sent from my little Johnson.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #29

Thanks, but wont work here in Austria - too much government, too much rules, too much taxes in Europe; to get a Mustang registered is a masterthesis; e.g. for HID upgrade you need: (no jocke) autom. head light washing (?!), autom. hight adjustment with sensor and an additional certificate ! all in all about 2.500 Euro - I'll put in some candles. Cheers StefStef
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefStef View Post
Thanks, but wont work here in Austria - too much government, too much rules, too much taxes in Europe; to get a Mustang registered is a masterthesis; e.g. for HID upgrade you need: (no jocke) autom. head light washing (?!), autom. hight adjustment with sensor and an additional certificate ! all in all about 2.500 Euro - I'll put in some candles. Cheers StefStef
Holy crap bro. Glad I don't live in Austria. Ha ha ha. God bless the U.S.. lol

Sent from my little Johnson.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang