Headlight Bulbs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
Headlight Bulbs

I know there have been similar threads to this, but from what I saw none answered the question I'm asking. I currently have the Raxiom Smoked Halos and I'm about to take them out for the factory headlight assembly. I just ordered smoked headlight tint from LMR to install on my factory assemblies. My question is, what is the brightes bulb I can purchased with out going the HID route. I guess to a degree I'm use to low visibility do to the Raxiom lights, just trying to get as much visibility as possible
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
These:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx

And HID bulbs in a non HID headlight housing provide no additional "usable" light, but rather splatter the light. HID's require HID projection housings to work as designed.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
Thank you Sir!!!!!!!'
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
You bet. I've had them in my F150, and in my current Mustang; they do extend the useful light of conventional headlight assemblies.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
I read some reviews that they have burned out quick, I'll assume that isn't the case with yours. Are you using the H11 or the H13/9008 in your mustang?
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
I know there have been similar threads to this, but from what I saw none answered the question I'm asking. I currently have the Raxiom Smoked Halos and I'm about to take them out for the factory headlight assembly. I just ordered smoked headlight tint from LMR to install on my factory assemblies. My question is, what is the brightes bulb I can purchased with out going the HID route. I guess to a degree I'm use to low visibility do to the Raxiom lights, just trying to get as much visibility as possible
You will be fine with 35W HID kit for the Raxiom. I'm getting ready to order the Raxiom smoked halo's myself. The fix for the light output issue or lack there of light output with the halogen bulbs is getting 35W HID'S. They will not melt the housing. I say this based on research of other Raxiom users and even American muscle for no issues with housing melting with 35W Hid's ..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You will be fine with 35W HID kit for the Raxiom. I'm getting ready to order the Raxiom smoked halo's myself. The fix for the light output issue or lack there of light output with the halogen bulbs is getting 35W HID'S. They will not melt the housing. I say this based on research of other Raxiom users and even American muscle for no issues with housing melting with 35W Hid's ..

I think you are missing something. I'm getting rid of My raxiom and going back to my factory OEM headlights. I'm looking for the brightest bulb I can get considering I'm putting tents on the lens
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post

I think you are missing something. I'm getting rid of My raxiom and going back to my factory OEM headlights. I'm looking for the brightest bulb I can get considering I'm putting tents on the lens
Why you getting rid of your Raxiom smoked halo's? Couldn't you still use 35W hid in the factory housing
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
I'm not too sure if this would work but try getting 'retrofit hid projectors' for your stock headlight assembly. Use your current HIDs and you should be golden with smoked tint. It be little $$ though.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
Wow, your wires melted. Geez. From what? Were you past the two year warranty from Raxiom on them. The reviews on AM of them are great just poor light output with halogen bulbs.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Wow, your wires melted. Geez. From what? Were you past the two year warranty from Raxiom on them. The reviews on AM of them are great just poor light output with halogen bulbs.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Umm I don't think the headlight assembly itself is responsible for melting his wires, but the HIDs in it. Poor quality, short circuited blast..you name it.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
Bought them from another member on this forum who upgraded. People on this site have even had similar issues. Google it. The most common one I have come across is one of the issues I dealt with. That's the connector melting and having to splice a new one on
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

Umm I don't think the headlight assembly itself is responsible for melting his wires, but the HIDs in it. Poor quality, short circuited blast..you name it.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
So you did put HID's in the Raxiom headlights?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Bought them from another member on this forum who upgraded. People on this site have even had similar issues. Google it. The most common one I have come across is one of the issues I dealt with. That's the connector melting and having to splice a new one on
So you did put HID's in the Raxiom headlights? Perhaps I need to rethink buying them but my god they look amazing and love its look. The only issues I have read up until now (which I greatly appreciate) with them was people complaining about the light output from halogen lights even the silver star Sylvania brand.

It seemed from customer reviews on AM site to install 35W HID's and good to go. People said no issue with housing being melted from what I saw but perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you just were the few unlucky customers to get a faulty unit. Lol. I thought Raxiom made good products. I know there new LED DRL's are fantastic on my 2011 model and are super bright.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyriqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 605
No, mine are not HID. I heard negatives about those too, but I will not try to talk you out of it. As far as night time you can see, but reading street signs will be poor in residential areas. I really don't care, since I know where I'm going before I go anyway. Also during heavy rain in residential areas the road is hard to see. One thing I planned to do and still might when I put my Smoked OEM headlights back in is to get the fog light set up. That will definitely add to you your night time road visibility.
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
No, mine are not HID. I heard negatives about those too, but I will not try to talk you out of it. As far as night time you can see, but reading street signs will be poor in residential areas. I really don't care, since I know where I'm going before I go anyway. Also during heavy rain in residential areas the road is hard to see. One thing I planned to do and still might when I put my Smoked OEM headlights back in is to get the fog light set up. That will definitely add to you your night time road visibility.
What negatives have you heard about HID's? Was your Raxiom lights not under warranty?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Another issue of installing HID type lights/ballasts in a non HID headlight housing other than perhaps melting is the annoying light "splatter" it produces. Folks think this is a brighter light, but in reality, this light is not projected forward (in non HID headlight housings) but rather sideways, so you loose light distance.

For HID's to be effective, they need a projection type housing. Look at the 2013 Mustangs (and up) or any other vehicle that came with them as a factory option or OEM equipped; you'll notice the housing within the headlight assembly is a round projection unit. This focuses the light as a beam forward.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Too many problems. The melted wires, I had to splice in a connector due to the power surge melting it. Now I'm getting moisture in a light through rain or car wash. So I would have to bake open to get a better seal. I like the look. Just sick of the issues. Especially since LMR sales smoke tint for $29.99.

Raxiom products scare me so much now due to lack of quality, I almost turned down a great deal on my new Raxion Navi unit. I had to remind myself that it's a Rosen product that Raxiom slapped it's logo on
Tyriqq,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience you had with these lights. For the most part these lights have been quite reliable for us and have given us few problems. We did a have a couple of bad batches, but the current inventory has been fairly problem free.

These do come with a 2 year warranty and obviously we would be happy to swap them out for you. If you would rather go another route, we can also take a return, send you out a label, and issue you a refund. Either way here, send me a PM, last thing we want is to leave you with bad set of lights and a bad taste in your mouth.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you've experienced during this circumstance. I can assure you we will get it resolved in a timely manner. I will wait on you PM on how to proceed.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

Tyriqq,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience you had with these lights. For the most part these lights have been quite reliable for us and have given us few problems. We did a have a couple of bad batches, but the current inventory has been fairly problem free.

These do come with a 2 year warranty and obviously we would be happy to swap them out for you. If you would rather go another route, we can also take a return, send you out a label, and issue you a refund. Either way here, send me a PM, last thing we want is to leave you with bad set of lights and a bad taste in your mouth.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you've experienced during this circumstance. I can assure you we will get it resolved in a timely manner. I will wait on you PM on how to proceed.

-Dan
I love its look of them and my pair are ordered. And yet another reason why AM is my go to pony parts company. Dan, has yet again looked out for the interests of AM's customers and goes above and beyond.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I love its look of them and my pair are ordered. And yet another reason why AM is my go to pony parts company. Dan, has yet again looked out for the interests of AM's customers and goes above and beyond.
+1. And I also love those headlights.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

+1. And I also love those headlights.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Did you order them as well?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Did you order them as well?
No, I have the HIDs (13) and I like them.....for now lol, but if I didn't, those lights would have been one of my first appearance mods. Love the look of them!! They will look great on your ride bro!!!!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

No, I have the HIDs (13) and I like them.....for now lol, but if I didn't, those lights would have been one of my first appearance mods. Love the look of them!! They will look great on your ride bro!!!!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Thanks bro. They are bad a$$ looking.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4
Raxiom projector head lights look real good! I buildt in the Helo mono chrome. BUT the high beam brightness drives me creasy. It is actuated by an internal flap in the projector, (one/same bulb for low and high), and now the mystery starts: activating the high beam leads to less brightness ?! Turning on the high beam, I can hardly notice that the beam is wider and longer but less brightness in the area of the low beam. If I take out the bulb from the projector and switch from low to high beam, the bulb looses brightness ? Does anyone has a solution? !PLEASE! (exept buing other brands)
StefStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
I know there have been similar threads to this, but from what I saw none answered the question I'm asking. I currently have the Raxiom Smoked Halos and I'm about to take them out for the factory headlight assembly. I just ordered smoked headlight tint from LMR to install on my factory assemblies. My question is, what is the brightes bulb I can purchased with out going the HID route. I guess to a degree I'm use to low visibility do to the Raxiom lights, just trying to get as much visibility as possible
StefStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #27
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4
philips xtreme power H13 (60/55w)
StefStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefStef View Post
Raxiom projector head lights look real good! I buildt in the Helo mono chrome. BUT the high beam brightness drives me creasy. It is actuated by an internal flap in the projector, (one/same bulb for low and high), and now the mystery starts: activating the high beam leads to less brightness ?! Turning on the high beam, I can hardly notice that the beam is wider and longer but less brightness in the area of the low beam. If I take out the bulb from the projector and switch from low to high beam, the bulb looses brightness ? Does anyone has a solution? !PLEASE! (exept buing other brands)
I would get rid of those Halogen bulbs and step up to a good set of HID's for those Raxiom smoked projection halo lights. That's what I did for mine. I can't wait to install both of them. I would get 35W 5000-6000k HID's, which should give off far more light output than standard halogen bulbs.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #29
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4
Thanks, but wont work here in Austria - too much government, too much rules, too much taxes in Europe; to get a Mustang registered is a masterthesis; e.g. for HID upgrade you need: (no jocke) autom. head light washing (?!), autom. hight adjustment with sensor and an additional certificate ! all in all about 2.500 Euro - I'll put in some candles. Cheers StefStef
StefStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefStef View Post
Thanks, but wont work here in Austria - too much government, too much rules, too much taxes in Europe; to get a Mustang registered is a masterthesis; e.g. for HID upgrade you need: (no jocke) autom. head light washing (?!), autom. hight adjustment with sensor and an additional certificate ! all in all about 2.500 Euro - I'll put in some candles. Cheers StefStef
Holy crap bro. Glad I don't live in Austria. Ha ha ha. God bless the U.S.. lol

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue headlight bulbs Cooky436 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 10 12-25-2013 06:03 AM
Headlight bulbs XSlashDashX General Mustang Discussion 1 04-08-2013 12:13 PM
Headlight bulbs johnofarch14 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 15 04-28-2012 08:39 PM
99+ Third Brake Light -- Lens & Bulbs -- Like NEW Shahrum Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 0 04-15-2004 03:49 PM
Advice on buying the colored bulbs. *Update* Dom Mustang Audio & Video 14 03-01-2004 10:34 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:42 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.