Gt500 style spoiler from AM - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Gt500 style spoiler from AM

I currently have the rear OE style spoiler (just a lip) and would like to upgrade to the gt500 style spoiler. Has anyone else done this here? How are the pre painted parts from American muscle? I have a white stang with a black spoiler right now so am going to be buying the black gt500 style one. What do y'all think...
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I had installed mines about 2weeks ago, shipped by AM, black which matched the cars factory color perfectly. Definitely improves the look of the car. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399605304593.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	156348
(only picture I have atm showing the spoiler/from my ig account)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2329 View Post
I currently have the rear OE style spoiler (just a lip) and would like to upgrade to the gt500 style spoiler. Has anyone else done this here? How are the pre painted parts from American muscle? I have a white stang with a black spoiler right now so am going to be buying the black gt500 style one. What do y'all think...
Yes, plenty of people have done it. As far as AM's paint quality, I have no experience with it since I bought the unpainted one. My buddy painted mine for me so I couldn't justify paying that much extra for AM to paint it.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Just give yourself time (and have plenty of patience) when removing the stock spoiler. The assembly line at Ford really did not want to ever read about failure or movement of an OEM spoiler install! That thing uses bolts that are easily removed by opening the trunk; this is where the "easy" ends. The large amounts of the 3M automotive tape also used is amazing. It sticks like it should; real, real good. You will need some plastic type flat bondo applicators to assist in removal; use them to slide in between the front, side, and rear of the spoiler where it attaches to the trunk lid to carefully seperate the spoiler from the trunk. These will not scratch your paint. Don't use any type of metal! The typical dental floss trick does not work, as you will only be able to cut in with it about 3 inches from the left and right sides of the spoiler before coming to a threaded stud.

Just be patient and calm. It will come off.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Gt500 style spoiler from AM

I also just did this. Here is some before and after pics so you can see the difference

Finally time to start a change to my V6 Vert

Hope it helps you make a decision. The preprinted was very well done also and comes well packaged from AM.

I did the fishing line trick to get mine off. Pried up either side until I could slip the line under the bolt and continued towards the center of the spoiler. Did that on both sides and worked great.
Batdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I did it about two weeks ago. As others have stated, the hard work is taking the stock spoiler off. I ended up getting a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight to help the process. I tried to just work it off, but ended up breaking one of the "wings" off the stock spoiler. I used plastic spreaders and the heat gun. It really helps to weaken the 3M tape. Start on one end, loosen, and slowly work your way to the other end. I also used a razor blade to cut the tape as I was able to get some wiggle room. Once the wing was off, the remaining tape came off with good old finger power. I tried the plastic spreader, but that really didn't work. I remembered reading somewhere that you can just start rolling the tape with your fingers, kind of like that rubber glue that attaches credit cards to the mailing paper. Just keep rolling it. That technique actually ended up being the easiest and cleanest.
Once you are ready to install the new spoiler, take just a little of the backer off the new 3M tape. Just enough to help you hold the wing in place while you put in the new screws. Once you have the wing in place, but not tightened all the way, you can now pull the rest of the tape backer off.
The color match and paint quality are great. Mine is Deep Impact Blue and you cannot tell a difference between the factory paint and the after market parts from AM...

Hope this helps...

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know if i want to mess with trying to take of the oem spoiler myself. I might just have a local body shop install...
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Awesome! You'll love the GT500 rear spoiler. The paint match is perfect. We make sure that the paint is in perfect shape and a great match, every time!

The GT500 or MMD Ducktail spoiler will definitely change the looks of your Mustang! Let us know if we can be of any assistance or if you have any questions at all.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is a close up of mine...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100498.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	156388

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I forgot to mention that I did not have a original spoiler and had to drill holes to install mines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRE TUS View Post
Here is a close up of mine...

Attachment 156388
Looking good! I love the look of this spoiler.

Keep up the great work!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang