magnaflow comp owners 15596 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
magnaflow comp owners 15596

I just bought a set off of ebay just curious to those who have them. Any major drone, fitment or hanger issues, performance gains, and weight savings. I read some reviews but would like more feedback. Thanks
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
Were they the 125$ ones? I almost bought them
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
Were they the 125$ ones? I almost bought them
Yeah thats them, ended up getting them for $167 total
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I just bought a set off of ebay just curious to those who have them. Any major drone, fitment or hanger issues, performance gains, and weight savings. I read some reviews but would like more feedback. Thanks
Drone: they're the worst out there with roush. Bought a new pair but just couldn't handle em more than 2 days- it literally gave me headaches from the 'humming' sound from 1500-3000k rpm.

Sound: 4 cylinder Honda civic with those giant mufflers you can put your head through.

Since you've only paid $167 for these guys, I suggest get glass packs to tone down the drone and obnoxious exhaust note.

Just my 2 cents

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Drone from hell like bazinga said, I think they made it 3 or 4 days on my car. Most of the weight savings you have will be lost with trying to get rid of the drone
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if they drone as bad as they say doing a gear change will eliminate it. The drone is highway speed between 1500-2000 but with 3.73 gears your never in that range unless your driving under the highway speed limit. My Roush would drone (not terribly) at those RPMs with the OEM 2.73s, now with the 3.73s no drone, I'm just not in those rpms anymore. Plus changing gears from those terrible OEM 2.73s have been by far the best mod I've done! Hope this helps.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Well if they drone as bad as they say doing a gear change will eliminate it. The drone is highway speed between 1500-2000 but with 3.73 gears your never in that range unless your driving under the highway speed limit. My Roush would drone (not terribly) at those RPMs with the OEM 2.73s, now with the 3.73s no drone, I'm just not in those rpms anymore. Plus changing gears from those terrible OEM 2.73s have been by far the best mod I've done! Hope this helps.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Yes the gear swap is on my list. My mechanic is overloaded right now so I'm on the waiting list. What midpipe do you have?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Drone: they're the worst out there with roush. Bought a new pair but just couldn't handle em more than 2 days- it literally gave me headaches from the 'humming' sound from 1500-3000k rpm.

Sound: 4 cylinder Honda civic with those giant mufflers you can put your head through.

Since you've only paid $167 for these guys, I suggest get glass packs to tone down the drone and obnoxious exhaust note.

Just my 2 cents

|| BlackOnBlack ||
What midpipe where you using at the time?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Drone from hell like bazinga said, I think they made it 3 or 4 days on my car. Most of the weight savings you have will be lost with trying to get rid of the drone
What midpipe where you using?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have the stock mid pipe. I'm planning to get the bbk catted x soon and when that happens I'll be selling the Roush because the sound will get really messy loud. Loud axelbacks are fine with just shorty headers but IMO when you go catted or cattle's x they generally start sounding like garbage, especially if you decide to go LTS. You'll need a quieter AB to off set the sound. An exhaust set up needs balance to sound great, Eg IMO Roush sound excellent by them self's or with shorties but with LTS and xpipe sound horrible!

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I have the stock mid pipe. I'm planning to get the bbk catted x soon and when that happens I'll be selling the Roush because the sound will get really messy loud. Loud axelbacks are fine with just shorty headers but IMO when you go catted or cattle's x they generally start sounding like garbage, especially if you decide to go LTS. You'll need a quieter AB to off set the sound.

I've been saving for the new mac long tubes but the more I reseach for a dd i'm starting to lean more on the mac shorties. I may go to the track once or twice just to see what it run. My exhaust is stock as of now.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Stock cats and resonators with the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Stock cats and resonators with the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe

Just curious, did the change going from factory to c&c frpp x make any notable difference in sound/performance.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Little pickup on the lower end and smoothed out the sound. It did give it a little popping shifting and using the engine as a brake.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
A friend of mine has comps and they're not too loud in the cabin. They do have a distinct sound that can come off like a Japanese 4 cylinder.

If you want a deep loud sound go Borla and stick with cats on the V6.

I'd give the comps
7/10 on sound
9/10 on drone
10/10 on looks
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, if they're to bad I'll buy some weld in mufflers and use them for the inlet and have magnaflow tips
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the info, if they're to bad I'll buy some weld in mufflers and use them for the inlet and have magnaflow tips
Yeah they really aren't too bad. Just the low RPMs give you a little higher pitched sound, but opened up they sound great. To me it's hard to find exhaust on the V6.

The 3.7 really has a good sound to it. I have pypes true duals on my 4.0 but its so deep you can't hear it and the drone is horrendous.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My original plan was to buy the thrush welded 2 chamber mufflers and use my oem tips and inlet pipes. I jumped on the magnaflows because of the price. I was going to buy the mac long tubes and bbk xpipe and match them to the thrush mufflers. I can't decide what to do, I was going to trade the car in last week but couldn't part ways with it. I have my driveshaft sold already, so it's back to the drawing board
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Are you required to have mufflers?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Are you required to have mufflers?
No not that I'm aware off
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I was just curious. It would sound sick with LT's, catted X (you could go cat less, I just think the V6 gets raspy w/o cats), and throw comps on there she'd sound great.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I've been eyeballing the mac lt and missed the sale last month that am had on them. Can't really find any info on them, the collectors aren't the same as the other lt brands. The mac collectors are kinda like mid length header design so I would have to modify a mid pipe maybe a bbk. The prochamber is to expensive for what you get.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I was just curious. It would sound sick with LT's, catted X (you could go cat less, I just think the V6 gets raspy w/o cats), and throw comps on there she'd sound great.

That's my setup.
Mattjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I am running BBK shorties, with the stock X, cats etc. I am running stock Mid pipes but I have Magnaflow Magnapack 18" resonators welded just after the X. I am running Pypes bombs axle backs. Sound is incredibly good, drone is what I would call mild. Only at the 70-78mph @ around 1950-2000 RPM it drops off before that and after 78MPH but its not bad anyway.

It is the extra set of resonators that do it, if you go with the comps, I would highly suggest you weld in a set of Vibrant 1792 (12" long 4" diameter) resonators just before the over axle part of the mid pipe. It will eliminate the drone if not all just about all of it on the highway, and will not mess much with the volume.

You want a larger diameter resonator to off set the drone, not really longer ones. If you just want to change the tone of it, then use longer resonators and put them further away from the over axle pipes more closer to the X.

I have had about 7 different exhaust setups and arrangements on my 3.7. I played around with my resonator placements, and lengths etc. If you go with a strait up pass through axle back setup you must use resonators in conjunction or else it will just sound like garbage or drone like crazy.

This is especially true if you are running catless or with high flow catted x with no stock resonators in there.

-D
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post
I am running BBK shorties, with the stock X, cats etc. I am running stock Mid pipes but I have Magnaflow Magnapack 18" resonators welded just after the X. I am running Pypes bombs axle backs. Sound is incredibly good, drone is what I would call mild. Only at the 70-78mph @ around 1950-2000 RPM it drops off before that and after 78MPH but its not bad anyway.

It is the extra set of resonators that do it, if you go with the comps, I would highly suggest you weld in a set of Vibrant 1792 (12" long 4" diameter) resonators just before the over axle part of the mid pipe. It will eliminate the drone if not all just about all of it on the highway, and will not mess much with the volume.

You want a larger diameter resonator to off set the drone, not really longer ones. If you just want to change the tone of it, then use longer resonators and put them further away from the over axle pipes more closer to the X.

I have had about 7 different exhaust setups and arrangements on my 3.7. I played around with my resonator placements, and lengths etc. If you go with a strait up pass through axle back setup you must use resonators in conjunction or else it will just sound like garbage or drone like crazy.

This is especially true if you are running catless or with high flow catted x with no stock resonators in there.
-D
You remind me of myself, auto to manual swaps 20 different exhaust combos. Thanks for the reply and the advice, definitely don't want to mess up a new car. I thought the pipes where going to ship today but I can't get in touch with the seller. It's been 4 days
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I completed the 6R80 to MT82 conversion. Made my exhaust sound change for the better. Yeah just keep in mind about placement of resonators and size and length. It does make a difference on what you are shooting for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Is having the stock x/h pipe and shorties a bad idea since the shorties are less restrictive than the stock mid pipe? Just wondering since I'm stuck between the bbk catted x or shorties
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

No the stock x still flows about the same if not more than the headers. We are not talking about 1" diameter pipes here....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well they finally arrived today and I installed them this evening. First the fitment and tip alignment is perfect. Second there is no loss in torque, the engine revs nicely. Third I will have to invest in some earplugs. Everyone was right, loud loud loud. My headers should be here on wednesday so I'm going to give them a chance before they end up in the forsale section of the forum or become inlets and outlets for some weld in mufflers. I see why the stock mufflers are so big, they need to tone this dude down lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Forget what these guys are saying they sound sick!! If you have any music on at all you really won't hear the drone plus you get so used to it it doesn't even matter when I drive my car I forget there is even drone
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #31
Staff
Blogger
Staff

magnaflow comp owners 15596

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Forget what these guys are saying they sound sick!! If you have any music on at all you really won't hear the drone plus you get so used to it it doesn't even matter when I drive my car I forget there is even drone
Who said they didn't?

Quote:
Well they finally arrived today and I installed them this evening. First the fitment and tip alignment is perfect. Second there is no loss in torque, the engine revs nicely. Third I will have to invest in some earplugs. Everyone was right, loud loud loud. My headers should be here on wednesday so I'm going to give them a chance before they end up in the forsale section of the forum or become inlets and outlets for some weld in mufflers. I see why the stock mufflers are so big, they need to tone this dude down lol.
Very nice! Give them time. They're really not too loud inside the cabin. You haven't heard drone till you get in my car.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I made my first drive to work with them today, 85 miles round trip. The drone on the interstate wasn't to bad at 75 but was very mild at 68-72mph. They're just to loud around town. I removed them today and sadly put the stockers back on. They're in the forsale section now. Good axle back for someone who likes it loud.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang