Shorty headers - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
My bbk also had rust, sent them back and got another set with "less" rust. IMO the quality is poor to say the least! They also had mig spatter all over them which I wasn't to pleased with either. I'd expect something that was manufactured in China to have these quality issues but from the U.S?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Would it matter if I installed them with the rust? It didn't have a lot of mig splatter but did have rust spots on the outside and some on the inside.. Should I still install them? Is this bad for my engine? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1402018053.740393.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	768.9 KB
ID:	158657

They don't look too bad tho
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No they will be fine. From the PIC yours don't look bad, if I didn't break my other phone I'd post the pics of mine, you would freak!

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Those don't look bad at all. I wish stainless works would make some
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

I have seen some and I only saw that after I placed my order.. I was super nervous hopen I didn't get my set like that.. Luckily they weren't to bad.. I think ima take them to get installed wonder what they will quote me
Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Took me and a buddy about 4 hrs in my garage. The passenger side is a bit of a pain but with the right tools it goes pretty smoothly. My biggest problem was getting the collector bolts off the stock Mani's.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #111
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
They look good right now. If those are the chrome that won't look that good soon anyway. They will turn to an ugly color after some time. I'm going to do BBK as well. I'll probably get chrome due to my budget, but I might paint them.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
They look good right now. If those are the chrome that won't look that good soon anyway. They will turn to an ugly color after some time. I'm going to do BBK as well. I'll probably get chrome due to my budget, but I might paint them.

Yea I went with the chrome cause my budget as well lol that and I also bought the borla stingers..
Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Please post a video with the stingers and shorties pleeeeeeease
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Of course I am posting several with the weeks to come.. I will be posting 3 videos within two weeks..

First vid = bbk intake/pypes bombs axel back/bama race tune

2nd vid = all from before but with the bbk shorties

3rd vid = removal off the pypes bomb and adding the borla stingers with my prior set up

I'll post my YouTube for you guys when the vids are rdy
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #116
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It seems like nobody much cares about quality

It is not only BBK that has the problem with their employee's not caring about the quality of work they put out.
Ever look under your Mustang and see the ugly rust on the axle's and a few other items. It does not really hurt anything but it would not take much for the Company to paint that stuff before installing it.
I have read where some people buy wheels that are scratched up before they are even sent out.
Nobody has any respect for what they are paid to do. Not even the quality control people do their job.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It is not only BBK that has the problem with their employee's not caring about the quality of work they put out.
Ever look under your Mustang and see the ugly rust on the axle's and a few other items. It does not really hurt anything but it would not take much for the Company to paint that stuff before installing it.
I have read where some people buy wheels that are scratched up before they are even sent out.
Nobody has any respect for what they are paid to do. Not even the quality control people do their job.
Ronnie
+1 Ronnie. Where has the pride gone these days? Its get it out the door as fast as possible for minimal cost.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1 Ronnie. Where has the pride gone these days? Its get it out the door as fast as possible for minimal cost.

I was actually really upset.. When I saw the rust and that's cause it wasn't even that bad I can imagine about those who received some completely covered in rust.. Even with the splatter.. I saw a bit.. You would think they go through inspections
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #119
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Install

I did it on a gt, which is much tighter. From what I can tell, the bolts to the cats on the V6 appeared to be accessed from the bottom. Soak them good as I broke one in spite of lot's of penetrant.
Buy a #8 (or 6 don't remember) torx socket. This will make removal of studs and the clamps to the rear of the cats much easier. But on the cat clamps, break them with an offset 12mm (or 13 I used a 1/2 in socket.
On the GT, you must remove the steering shaft on the drivers side. Remove it where it comes through the firewall, 12 mm and where it connects at the rack, this will allow the entire shaft to be removed. remove the Air box on the drivers side and the engine mount. This side was the easiest on the gt.
The pass side remove the battery, the starter (can see two bolts) and the engine mount. The cat harness ground is on the upper front bolt on the engine mount on the GT and a 15 mm flange nut holds that. Once you get that off you can get to the stud.
If an auto, you have the same set up on the lower rear, there is a bracket that holds the tranny lines and it is retained with a 15 mm flange nut, then you can remove the stud. On the GT, you must turn the header with the Flange facing straight up to get it in.
There is a hose in the way of the front flange bolt on the gt, wasn't sure if it was coolant or AC so I didn't F@#& with it. I bought a 15 mm combo wrench and bent it a little to be able to get enough angle on it to just take it out a /14 turn at a time, took about ten minutes.
On the GT, start to finish was about twelve hours, 3 of which were fighting to get the pass side header in. It wouldn't go in directly.
I did this by myself, with the exception of reconnecting the steering shaft, which is a two person job on the firewall end. also, there is a rubber seal in the pass compartment that you may have to remove to get the steering shaft to move.
Have fun and enjoy your handy work afterwords.
There is some joker that posted it took him 30 -40 min as side, I think he's on crack!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #120
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Actually on the V^, you get new studs on the header so wh gives a $h!t if you break them!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Finally made the video, here's my 2013 v6 mustang with bbk ceramic shorty headers and Ford racing sport axle backs. There is absolutely no drone unless climbing up a hill and is deeper with the headers as well as idle being quieter but with a slight lopy sounds. Low end torque was Deffinitly a gain and acceleration feels more even and stronger throughout the rpms. Installed by myself and a friend and took the whole day, it was the most major thing I've done to my car and glad I had the expirence to do it. If two 17 year olds can do this you can too! Ok enough talking http://youtu.be/EdP1iggOtRk http://youtu.be/mxmsDwKLHjM
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds damn good nice job man
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds awesome. Just received my Stingers so can't wait to slap them on this weekend.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Way to go Cole I hope this builds up others confidence. Sounds good nice looking car.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Shorty headers

Thanks guys! Almost forgot HUGE shout out to BIGSHOW14 and SOCIALSTANG for all the advice and help. Without this forum and the awesome people id be lost
Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #126

Region: Colorado
Sounds good!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #127
Registered Member

Regular

Wow I didnt realize you were so young. Good for you man!! Its nice to do things like this by yourself, it gives you more pride in your vehicle. When youre friends say "wow who did this?" you can said with pride "I did!!"

Sounds great BTW. As soon as I free up a little cash this is my next mod.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemaneric View Post
Thanks guys! Almost forgot HUGE shout out to BIGSHOW14 and SOCIALSTANG for all the advice and help. Without this forum and the awesome people id be lost
Glad I could help, now don't get yourself in trouble this weekend with your new found horse power
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #129
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I appreciate that. I always like to help people with stuff like this. Its always a good learning experience. People always ask me how I learned so much about cars and my response is always the same...." I broke a lot of parts and made a lot of mistakes". I'm sure you will too colemaneric, just don't give up!!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Deffinitly made my fair share of those^
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

I am done!!! Man so 4 hrs later and finally done.. It's really not so bad you all were right the main thing is loosening and tightening those hard to reach bolts but all in all it was a success lol I'm not 17 and didn't have a 17 yr old side kick but me n my older brother got the job done!! (28 and 32 year olds haha) gonna edit the clips and upload. My pype bombs right now sound so deep and mellow they deff don't scream anymore I love the new deep sound.. The acceleration is noticeably smoother and faster at lower RPM's. I will post the vids tomorrow! Thanks as well bigshow and everyone who commented and helped like cole said this forum and it's members are the shiznit!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I am done!!! Man so 4 hrs later and finally done.. It's really not so bad you all were right the main thing is loosening and tightening those hard to reach bolts but all in all it was a success lol I'm not 17 and didn't have a 17 yr old side kick but me n my older brother got the job done!! (28 and 32 year olds haha) gonna edit the clips and upload. My pype bombs right now sound so deep and mellow they deff don't scream anymore I love the new deep sound.. The acceleration is noticeably smoother and faster at lower RPM's. I will post the vids tomorrow! Thanks as well bigshow and everyone who commented and helped like cole said this forum and it's members are the shiznit!!!
There you go, nothing to it. Now you can spend that $$$ you saved on labor for another mod. I enjoyed helping you and eric out, keep up the good work. Now for some videos!!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Man so probably put like 40 miles on them today and man my exhaust which was once super loud is now tame.. Almost too tame lol when I would take my foot off the gas the engine would gurgle lol and now it's just quiet and accelerates really efficiently.. So I wonder what my stingers will sound like if the current ones are muffler deletes and they are tame.. I wonder if my stingers will be too quiet.. Anyone with this set up? Bbk intake - bbk short tune headers -bama tune -BORLA Stingers
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Yes same I expected a lot more sound but got a quieter and deeper idle and a mellower acceleratiob
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes same I expected a lot more sound but got a quieter and deeper idle and a mellower acceleratiob

Do you feel power at take off? My butt dyno feels a stronger kick like it pics up a lot faster.. Sounds real good when on the gas but when off I lost the gurgle lol and just got word my stingers are delayed due to bad weather.. Dang you Arkansas
Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Yes! When I first Floored it and hit 3rd gear I was like holy crap I was really siprised
Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes! When I first Floored it and hit 3rd gear I was like holy crap I was really siprised

+1 I love the headers even if people say it's minimal gains.. They are an awesome addition to my stang! On to the next mod
Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Yes totally agree, really want the high flow h but the cost isn't worth it
Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

There's a guy on here with the shorty headers and the s types, but he also had an exhaust shop weld in an h pipe with the stock resonators and it sounds amazing
Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Btw with the shorty headers I disconnected the over axle pipes and damn that sounds soooo good I was so suprised, if only I could get that sounds!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang