Shorty headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shorty headers

Stuck between the bbk and the Mac shortys, anyone with any opinions and also how was the install??
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Get the macs then post a vid of how they sound! I'm getting them over the bbks when the time comes just to have something different.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I've seen one youtube video of the macs. They sounded good, but i am still undecided between the bbk and the mac
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think having the shorty headers with stock mid pipe and frpp axle backs is a bad idea? Cause of the restrictive mid pipe?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No! I think thats a great idea! I remember a member here by the name of Mr. Powerwhee had posted videos of his 3.7 with bbk shorty headers and borla s type axlebacks which are essentially the same as the frpp and it sounded glorious, one of the best sixxers i have heard, but for some reason the videos have been taken down.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for the info! I was thinking the shorties over the x pipe because saving $150 is always nice and will pay for the install
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Cool man! Be sure to post a video when it's all said and done!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have the s types damn I would have loved to hear that video. It's perfectly fine to keep the stock mids. I have no choice but to keep them because of the emissions testing here. Why must you suck ny?!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Trust me it sounded glorious when he punched it. 0 rasp at all and a lovely deep mid throaty tone. Personally I'm going to get the BBK shorty headers and the borla s type catback

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

You can't have headers in ny? Damn that sucks. I live in Oklahoma. There's no emissions.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What's the difference other than the $100 between the ceramic ones and chrome ones?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Trust me it sounded glorious when he punched it. 0 rasp at all and a lovely deep mid throaty tone. Personally I'm going to get the BBK shorty headers and the borla s type catback

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

You can't have headers in ny? Damn that sucks. I live in Oklahoma. There's no emissions.
I can have headers just not long tubes. Because the mid pipes need to be stock. You can't alter the location of the cats or it won't pass inspection. Therefore I'm forced to go shorties unless I feel like switching everything out before inspection.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Get the ceramic if you like for your engine bay to look good. Chrome will be hotter and discolor to a brown color over time while ceramic will run cooler and will stay the same color. There is no sound difference between them.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So do you think the extra 100 is worth is for the cooler running temp?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I would get them just because I wouldent want the discoloration, but that's just me.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get the ceramic if you like for your engine bay to look good. Chrome will be hotter and discolor to a brown color over time while ceramic will run cooler and will stay the same color. There is no sound difference between them.
Yup I plan to! My mpt tune already has the engine fan running 90 percent of the time so I don't need anything making it hotter.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha. I haven't decided if I'll be installing the shorties myself yet or not
Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemaneric View Post
So do you think the extra 100 is worth is for the cooler running temp?
Am has the mac ceramic shorties on sale for 359.. on top of that the 6 percent forum discount.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Stuck between the bbk and the Mac shortys, anyone with any opinions and also how was the install??
I have the Ceramic BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe and the FRSA(Ford Racing Sport Axle-Backs.

My mechanic didn't have a problem installing them.

The Headers don't get as hot as the stock piece of iron crap. Sure didn't want to crawl around on the ground to clean the chrome pipes.

The sound is great. Jump on the gas and they purr. Driving down the road and you don't have that loud vibrating noise.

Why don't you look at putting on the BBK or Steeda's version of a catted X-Pipe?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I have the Ceramic BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe and the FRSA(Ford Racing Sport Axle-Backs.

My mechanic didn't have a problem installing them.

The Headers don't get as hot as the stock piece of iron crap. Sure didn't want to crawl around on the ground to clean the chrome pipes.

The sound is great. Jump on the gas and they purr. Driving down the road and you don't have that loud vibrating noise.

Why don't you look at putting on the BBK or Steeda's version of a catted X-Pipe?

Yea I was looking at the bbk catted x but being on a high school budget I was eyeing the shortys because of the cheaper cost. Also I wanted a deeper and louder tone on my ford racing sports
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Yea I was looking at the bbk catted x but being on a high school budget I was eyeing the shortys because of the cheaper cost. Also I wanted a deeper and louder tone on my ford racing sports
Go with the Macs and do the install yourself. It's an easy install, just install them on a day when you don't have to rush. Also go for the ceramics, better looking and lower under hood temps is always a plus.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you are able, spend the extra 100 dollars for the ceramic headers. The headers won't discolor and stay far cooler over the chrome. I have ceramic long tube headers and real happy with the ceramic coating and look.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely get ceramics and here is a video of mines with BBK shorties, Stock cats and resonators with a custom H-pipe welded in and Borla S-Types.
http://youtu.betJ6fFtggiWg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
The sound will vary based on the entire set up nose to nose.

As far as install, they're much easier to install with a sacrifice in HP but they still give good gains.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I am currently installing the chrome BBK shorty's on a 2013 GT with 20 K. Broke one of the studs on the pass side cat, will punch it out and replace with S/S bolt. Doing it on the ground so it is slow going. BBK's instructions didn't say to remove the battery tray, but I did and it allows you to get both cat nuts on the pass side from the top. I suggest getting a long extension and a universal joint and getting the cat bolts from the top. Also put the o2 sensors in the headers before installing, I didn't on the drivers side and it was a B!tc# to tighten. I have the auto and the drivers side rear o2 sensor is a mother to disconnect. You got to fish around the back of the engine to disconnect the front o2 sensor, but they are not too bad. Also, drivers side, pull the airbox and completely remove the steering shaft. Tried to do the drivers side with out pulling the motor mount, ended up being more hastle than it was worth. Hope to pull the pass manifold tonight.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Oh goody I can't wait...
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have the BBK chrome shorties with pype bombs and it sounds amazing. I love the way these headers sound with the right axle backs. If you're on a budget i wouldn't worry about getting the ceramic. I highly doubt it's a huge temp difference, however you get the benefit of them not discoloring. Mine are 7 months old and they still look pretty good. I love the bluish look chrome gives after awhile, so just get whatever fits your preference
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

oh, i installed them myself, and let's just say i wouldnt do another header install again...especially without a lift. It took me and a buddy around 8 hours start to finish. find a cheap shop
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

So it took quite a while, but was it very difficult?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just ordered the BBK catted xpipe and ceramic shorties, can't wait till they get here!

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You installing yourself?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
You installing yourself?

No way I'm installing the headers, but I might do the xpipe to save some $$$. I'm calling around now getting quotes.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So it took quite a while, but was it very difficult?
No, i wouldn't say its "difficult." The hardest part is getting the midpipe off of the stock headers. The bolts are at an extremely awkward angle and hard to reach, plus they are TIGHT. I'm an impatient person so after like 4 hours i was irritated, etc. If you're not impatient you'll be fine. It is a good learning experience.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I still haven't decided if I'm gonna do it or not. I have all the tools, but it sounds like a pain in the ***
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
I can have headers just not long tubes. Because the mid pipes need to be stock. You can't alter the location of the cats or it won't pass inspection. Therefore I'm forced to go shorties unless I feel like switching everything out before inspection.
Everything can be done with a willing party. I lived in NY and passed car after car with custom piping hehe.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Little off topic question but has anyone heard the 3.7 open headers? Just a little curious to how that'd sound

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang