BBK shorty headers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Just checked, door says GG, axles are 3.31, my mistake everyone.
So do we get too Tar and Feather him now or do we have to wait?

I have the BBK Ceramic Shorties, BBK Catted X-Pipe with Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks. It is loud enough when you give it some gas and quiet when you cruising, you don't hear that drone.

The Long Tube Headers were going to be too much trouble. First worrying about bottoming out and damaging them. Second, with No Cats the constant drone would drive me nuts or nuttier than I am. Third, It was going to cost too much to customize an X-Pipe with Cats to fit.

Whichever brand you choose, I would get the ceramic finish. The chrome ones looked like to much work to keep clean.

Good Luck with whatever your choice.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
So do we get too Tar and Feather him now or do we have to wait?

I have the BBK Ceramic Shorties, BBK Catted X-Pipe with Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks. It is loud enough when you give it some gas and quiet when you cruising, you don't hear that drone.

The Long Tube Headers were going to be too much trouble. First worrying about bottoming out and damaging them. Second, with No Cats the constant drone would drive me nuts or nuttier than I am. Third, It was going to cost too much to customize an X-Pipe with Cats to fit.

Whichever brand you choose, I would get the ceramic finish. The chrome ones looked like to much work to keep clean.

Good Luck with whatever your choice.
Do you possibly have a video of this? Im really interested in hearing it...
Old 05-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just got the ceramic shorties and catted xpipe on. HOLY **** it's loud !It sounds really good though. Deep, mean growl at low RPMs and screams under heavy acceleration. Stuck at work now, but I will try to go into some more detail later.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
I just got my BBK Ceramic shorty headers in, getting them installed tomorrow. They look high quality, so no complaints so far. It will be hard to tell how much of a difference they make as I'm getting a BBK catted Xpipe installed at the same time. I'll report back once I get everything installed.
What Axel back you running?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
Just got the ceramic shorties and catted xpipe on. HOLY **** it's loud !It sounds really good though. Deep, mean growl at low RPMs and screams under heavy acceleration. Stuck at work now, but I will try to go into some more detail later.
Throw up a video! I've decided to go with the chrome shorties by either BBK or MAC (chrome because I think the blue coloration of them after time looks cool, and ceramic doesn't have any HP/TQ difference, plus $100 cheaper), but no x pipe.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Throw up a video! I've decided to go with the chrome shorties by either BBK or MAC (chrome because I think the blue coloration of them after time looks cool, and ceramic doesn't have any HP/TQ difference, plus $100 cheaper), but no x pipe.
Get 14 more post, get a forum code for 6% discount at AM, mac ceramic shorties with code discount $338 to your front door. Your cai will thank you
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Get 14 more post, get a forum code for 6% discount at AM, mac ceramic shorties with code discount $338 to your front door. Your cai will thank you
13 more posts now !
Is there any benefit of ceramic over chrome at all besides aesthetics?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mostly the ceramic coating will keep it from rusting and looking better. They also have a thermal property which will keep some heat down but not like truly dedicated ceramic coating used for heat reflection.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Well... MAC ceramic shorty's are out of stock on AM, hopefully they get them in stock before June or I'll go with the chrome. I like the MAC design better than the BBK, also a lot of people complaining about getting the BBKs rusted in the mail....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The MAC headers have really started to move I think.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well... MAC ceramic shorty's are out of stock on AM, hopefully they get them in stock before June or I'll go with the chrome. I like the MAC design better than the BBK, also a lot of people complaining about getting the BBKs rusted in the mail....
Sorry I bought the last set. They went out of stock after I submitted my order. They should arrive monday evening. Get a back in stock alert email from AM, just click the tab.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Good news. Hopefully somebody will be nice enough to post a sound clip.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Good news. Hopefully somebody will be nice enough to post a sound clip.
I'm feeling nice lol but it will be next week.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red502 View Post
Look up Dillionshad on Instagram I think he even has a YouTube video doing some burnouts. Car sound AMAZING!

Roush isn't the way to go with off road set ups. Borlas and frpp with shorties and possibly catted h pipe is probably one of the best sound set ups. Every time I hear roush in person I cringe, too much for my taste
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Do you possibly have a video of this? Im really interested in hearing it...
Sorry no video.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Can't wait to hear my shorties paired with my Borla catbacks! Catted X-Pipe is sounding like a future possibility as well. I'm ordering stuff over here so when I get back from Afghanistan it will be like having a brand new Mustang again!
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
What Axel back you running?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.

Ford racing sport. I would do a video, but all I have to record it is my iPhone. The quality will probably suck, but I will see what I can do after work tomorrow. I'm absolutely loving how deep and throaty it sounds now!

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Please post up a vid I got the frpp sports and want shorties but want to hear how it sounds first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't wait to hear my shorties paired with my Borla catbacks! Catted X-Pipe is sounding like a future possibility as well. I'm ordering stuff over here so when I get back from Afghanistan it will be like having a brand new Mustang again!
Would love to hear sound clip of this. My setup will be bbk shorties and borla s type catback
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
After I heard the change in exhaust note with the shorties and factory Mufflers I went with Borla Touring A/B's. Good sound at Idle and loud enough for me at WOT.
I drive 45-50 each way to and from work and anything with Rasp or Drone would drive me crazy. I have read a lot of exhaust threads and it seems like almost everyone that goes catless or high flow cats is getting 1 or the other and trying to get rid of it.
One other thing one needs to look at is the fact that as you take away back pressure on the 3.7 you hurt it on the low end, which takes away a little of the driveability on the street, if you are a going to a drag strip every weekend that is fine, the top end is great but my car and I live in the real world where 4000 and up on the tac only happens getting on the freeway in 2 gears.
Unless you are planning on going F/I the factory cats flow pretty good and coupled with the factory resonators keeps the Rasp out.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

If i put shorties on, will I have to take them off if I go with a supercharger/turbo down the road(which i will)? I know with LT headers you have too, but I didn't know if shorties were different. Not a lot of info. online about shorties.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If i put shorties on, will I have to take them off if I go with a supercharger/turbo down the road(which i will)? I know with LT headers you have too, but I didn't know if shorties were different. Not a lot of info. online about shorties.

No you don't as they are around the same size as the OEM ones. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with turbos and shorties and you def. won't have to with a supercharger.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
No you don't as they are around the same size as the OEM ones. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with turbos and shorties and you def. won't have to with a supercharger.
Thanks! I'm currently stuck in the choice between a supercharger and a turbo, it's going to be my christmas present whichever one I choose
Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Thanks! I'm currently stuck in the choice between a supercharger and a turbo, it's going to be my christmas present whichever one I choose

Turbo will get you more power but the set up is more complicated and requires a good tune to utilize all the power.. And I think it gives more power throughout most of the RPM's, the supercharger is easier to instal and requires less tunning and most of the gains will be felt at the higher RPM's.. If you can dish out for the turbo I would go that route
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There is actually a thread in here about this I would recommend reading it a lot of good info
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Turbo will get you more power but the set up is more complicated and requires a good tune to utilize all the power.. And I think it gives more power throughout most of the RPM's, the supercharger is easier to instal and requires less tunning and most of the gains will be felt at the higher RPM's.. If you can dish out for the turbo I would go that route
Yes as my car is my DD I was leaning towards the turbo because I would feel it throughout the RPMs... however, I can't seem to find a good turbo kit for sale anywhere online. A lot of "in the works projects", etc. but nothing you can just order like the superchargers. Hellion makes a turbo but I really don't like their products or the price tag with them. CFM performance looks like they are making a nice product but I can't find a lot of concrete info on them or if they are even selling them yet
Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes as my car is my DD I was leaning towards the turbo because I would feel it throughout the RPMs... however, I can't seem to find a good turbo kit for sale anywhere online. A lot of "in the works projects", etc. but nothing you can just order like the superchargers. Hellion makes a turbo but I really don't like their products or the price tag with them. CFM performance looks like they are making a nice product but I can't find a lot of concrete info on them or if they are even selling them yet

I know what you mean.. I don't like the hellion either.. But there arnt many options out there for us 3.7's lol.. I also hate the fact that a turbo is priced roughly around 4-6k.. That **** is insane lol.. I'm getting married this year so I'm positive that it's not gonna be in my budget for a while lol I wish more companies would come out and offer a turbo so that there could be price competition.. Get us some more realistic prices lol
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I know what you mean.. I don't like the hellion either.. But there arnt many options out there for us 3.7's lol.. I also hate the fact that a turbo is priced roughly around 4-6k.. That **** is insane lol.. I'm getting married this year so I'm positive that it's not gonna be in my budget for a while lol I wish more companies would come out and offer a turbo so that there could be price competition.. Get us some more realistic prices lol
Yeah it's crazy... turbo kit for our car should be about $2700-$3500 depending on everything... Hell, my friend just shopped around and constructed his own turbo kit for about $1700 for his '97 Accord, me and him did the install (not really that hard, just time consuming), and we are by no means experts. He had to pay for the custom tune, obviously, but still I think his total didn't come out to more than $2,200 for everything from ordering to driving. $6,000 for a mustang 3.7 turbo kit? No thanks, I'll just wait and if prices don't drop trade in eventually or put a procharger in there.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it's crazy... turbo kit for our car should be about $2700-$3500 depending on everything... Hell, my friend just shopped around and constructed his own turbo kit for about $1700 for his '97 Accord, me and him did the install (not really that hard, just time consuming), and we are by no means experts. He had to pay for the custom tune, obviously, but still I think his total didn't come out to more than $2,200 for everything from ordering to driving. $6,000 for a mustang 3.7 turbo kit? No thanks, I'll just wait and if prices don't drop trade in eventually or put a procharger in there.

I hear you! Lol Helped a friend put a turbo he bought for his eclipse for 1,000 and I was speechless he could find one so cheap.. And over here I have to save for a couple years to even afford a dang turbo lol Hopefully they finish producing those turbos.. Cause next year we 3.7's are gonna have some competition with the little 2015 v4 turbo mustangs lol
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
You CAN build your own turbo kit using precision or Garrett spoolers; however, getting a custom exhaust manifold and intercooler made your application will get $$$ - as I've heard. At the end of the day, you're still looking at close $4-5K including injectors etc anyway.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It seems like you have a lot of homework ahead of you.

Turbos and superchargers go about making power in different ways.

Also with a supercharger you can keep your LT or shorty headers but with a turbo you will have to run a turbo manifold as the turbo feeds off your exhaust gasses.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #67
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A super charger is better in one way.

Less worry and no lag with a supercharger. A turbo has lag that gets annoying after a while. It also produces "HEAT" The only advantage is it will produce low end power and does not use engine power to run it like a supercharger does.
Personally, I would prefer a supercharger. I have had Turbo's.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

So the MAC shorty headers are not 50 state emissions legal and the BBk shorty headers are. Does this mean I can't get the MACs? I live in NY.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Has anyone installed the Mac shorty headers? Are they less of a B*TCH to install vs the BBK?
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Has anyone installed the Mac shorty headers? Are they less of a B*TCH to install vs the BBK?
I'll let you know tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang