Pypes pype bombs rattle fix - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pypes pype bombs rattle fix

So I bought a axel back from pype bombs and I actually love the sound I get out of this exhaust. My only problem was that when I would accelerate and raise my RPM's fast something would rattle from the back of the car. I tied everything down and still a nasty metal to metal rattle. So I found the culprit finally and here is my quick fix on how to do it. What's causing the rattle is that the hanger arm is hitting the hanger.. I have picks down low to show. My hanger arms actually had real rough indentations in this one specific spot so I knew I found the rattle. This was happening on both sides but harder on the passenger side..

QUICK FIX
Your going to need 3 things.
1. Rubber tubing (I got two for free from O'reilys auto parts)
2. Zip ties
3. Scissors

Cut the rubber tube in half slip it on the arm of the hanger and use the zip ties to hold it firmly. Your gonna wanna have a solid rubber area at your points of contact to minimize the rattle. Do this to both sides. I also uploaded some pics to help you spot these areas of rattle. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400281168.525367.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	156984Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400281183.186631.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	156985Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400281196.882835.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	156986

Hope this helps all those frustrated owners with a rattle.. And maybe this isn't what is the cause of your rattle but hey never hurts to try. Oh and yes I over killed the tubbing with zip ties lol I did that to both and let me just say I went 100 on the back straight away hammer all the way down and not a single rattle
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
This is great info. I did an axle back and the rattling is driving me crazy.I will be doing this very soon.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea tell me about it I have a 2014 I just recently bought and out the axel back and could seriously not go over 70 mph without a rattle... It's a crappy feeling having a brand new car and an annoying rattle lol.. A rattle on any car is annoying.. Let me know of this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would do that to my roush exhaust. Thanks for sharing bro!
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Pypes pype bombs rattle fix

Mine did this too and it drove me insane! I put my car away for the winter and i thought about it all the time lol drove me nuts. Fixed it over a month ago in a similar way!

Keep and eye on the rubber, may need to replace it over time! I almost need to already :/
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Mine did this too and it drove me insane! I put my car away for the winter and i thought about it all the time lol drove me nuts. Fixed it over a month ago in a similar way!

Keep and eye on the rubber, may need to replace it over time! I almost need to already :/

Yea I have been keeping an eye on it, now my biggest concern is how loud they are lol.. I just got a tune so it's even louder and meaner lol
Old 05-25-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
So I bought a axel back from pype bombs and I actually love the sound I get out of this exhaust. My only problem was that when I would accelerate and raise my RPM's fast something would rattle from the back of the car. I tied everything down and still a nasty metal to metal rattle. So I found the culprit finally and here is my quick fix on how to do it. What's causing the rattle is that the hanger arm is hitting the hanger.. I have picks down low to show. My hanger arms actually had real rough indentations in this one specific spot so I knew I found the rattle. This was happening on both sides but harder on the passenger side..

QUICK FIX
Your going to need 3 things.
1. Rubber tubing (I got two for free from O'reilys auto parts)
2. Zip ties
3. Scissors

Cut the rubber tube in half slip it on the arm of the hanger and use the zip ties to hold it firmly. Your gonna wanna have a solid rubber area at your points of contact to minimize the rattle. Do this to both sides. I also uploaded some pics to help you spot these areas of rattle. Attachment 156984Attachment 156985Attachment 156986

Hope this helps all those frustrated owners with a rattle.. And maybe this isn't what is the cause of your rattle but hey never hurts to try. Oh and yes I over killed the tubbing with zip ties lol I did that to both and let me just say I went 100 on the back straight away hammer all the way down and not a single rattle
Thank you so much. You have no idea how amazing this info is to me. I have been going CRAZY trying to figure out this rattling. I've tried everything. Now I will try this. Fingers crossed it works.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Thank you so much. You have no idea how amazing this info is to me. I have been going CRAZY trying to figure out this rattling. I've tried everything. Now I will try this. Fingers crossed it works.

I hope it works out for you bud! I've been three weeks rattle free.. Just look at those hanger arms cause with heat those arms tend to move an inch not so in either direction and that's enough to make contact and rattle.. And if that's now it just get under your car and run your fingers around till you find the indentations cause a rattle will for sure be causing some type of damage at contact
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #9

Region: Illinois
Had the exact same issue with my Pypes. This worked perfectly. Thank you!
Trainscousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainscousin View Post
Had the exact same issue with my Pypes. This worked perfectly. Thank you!

No problem buddy! No more being scared to hit cause of that dang rattle lol! Glad I could help
Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
No problem buddy! No more being scared to hit cause of that dang rattle lol! Glad I could help

No longer scared to hit the gas cause the rattle * sorry dang iPhone auto correct lol
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #12

I justed installed some borla touring axle backs on my car. Ive got a rattle /high pitched vibration from 3-3500 rpms in every gear. I went out and looked at all the hangers and everything seems good. Any ideas? Ive emailed borla waiting on a responce.
ocmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmustang View Post
I justed installed some borla touring axle backs on my car. Ive got a rattle /high pitched vibration from 3-3500 rpms in every gear. I went out and looked at all the hangers and everything seems good. Any ideas? Ive emailed borla waiting on a responce.

I just took off my pype bombs and put in some borla stingers and haven't had any rattle or vibrations.. Do you have any clue where the sound begins? Is it metallic sounding? In the cabin? Check the license plate as well..
Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #14

Its not the plates. I just bought the car new 3 weeks ago. I put an air aid cai the first week I had it. Ive check every thing on it and all is still good. It only does it after the exhuast warms up. Sounds almost like something lose in the muffler.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its not the plates. I just bought the car new 3 weeks ago. I put an air aid cai the first week I had it. Ive check every thing on it and all is still good. It only does it after the exhuast warms up. Sounds almost like something lose in the muffler.

Is it when you are on the gas? Or does it do it while just idling on park?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Could be an exhaust leak...those sound nasty...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
andrewheath09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #17

It only does it when I'm on the gas. And as long as I stay under 3000 rpms it sounds great. The only thing I know to do is put the factory mufflers back on one at a time and try to isolate the problem.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Were they welded or clamped? Best advise get under the car and look for contact points
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #19

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I pulled it up on the lift where I work and its defiantly coming from the drivers side. I emailed Borla and looks like they are going to send me a new muffler.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #20

Region: California
sorry I'm a little late to the party, how thick was the tubing you used?
ChrisCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang