Airaid CAI Causing MPG Reading Hiccups - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid CAI Causing MPG Reading Hiccups

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum. I am curious to know whether anyone having installed an Airaid CAI in a 2013 V6 has had any issues with the MPG estimation gauge. Mine seems like it won't calibrate correctly since the install. In fact the other day my city MPG was 16!

I checked all my connections and reset the cars computer. I also know that this gauge is not spot on. But it is clear to me that it isn't working right.

The only other bolt on mod I've done is a pair of Borla Touring axelbacks.

Thoughts???
sguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a CAI installed, but 16 mpgs doesn't sound unheard of. The car is advertised to get 19, which of course all depends on you drive and how much you idle. Plus, if you don't have a tune, your car's computer is not going to feed the gasoline through your engine appropriately for the mods, so you should get a tune as soon as you can for your car's specifications. That should improve your mpgs. What about it reading at 16 mpgs makes you think it isn't properly calibrated?
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hi!

I was getting about 20 MPG before. Now after I reset the gauge it may start at 5 MPG then creep up. Other times it may go as high as +50 MPG before creeping down. Before the mod it would always start closer to what I'd expect for city or highway. Hmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had the same thing with my Steeda intake and tune, it used to be around 15-17 until after the break in period then it averages 22+ depending on driving conditions
kdow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. Guess I'll give it time. Can't afford the tune for awhile. Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Did you disconnect the battery during installation???

If you did not, Do it now. Disconnect the negative terminal for at least 15 or 20 minutes.
It tells you to do it while installing the Airaid but some people bypass this step and have problems.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Ronnie:

Yea I did that then again after I noticed the issue. This time headlights on, then disconnect, waited five mins, headlights off and then reconnect neg terminal. No change.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'm not a tuning expert but that doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary since you don't have a custom tune.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey 2Stanz!

Sucks because AM and Airaid boast MPG improvement without a tune.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguevara View Post
Hey 2Stanz!

Haha get a tune my friend, you wont regret it
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Hey 2Stanz!

Another victim of false advertising.

Btw, I didn't say you weren't getting better MPG. I said the reading may have been inaccurate because of the absence of a custom tune.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Understood! Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

Region: North Carolina
Just installed my Steeda intake with tune and noticed similar issue. Mpg dropped to 14mpg but sits about 17-18 now. Crazy thing is sitting at a light I can watch the mpg drop by. 1 for about every 2 min stopped.
gdpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpone View Post
Just installed my Steeda intake with tune and noticed similar issue. Mpg dropped to 14mpg but sits about 17-18 now. Crazy thing is sitting at a light I can watch the mpg drop by. 1 for about every 2 min stopped.
Why didnt you buy mine! haha. 17-18 you must be heavy on the gas
Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well even though I don't have a tune I wonder if spending the money will help or hurt. I've been eye Bama tunes but have read where they have to be reloaded often else they don't work. I'm a DD with no intentions of racing. But I do want 1)peppier starts and good fuel economy.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Airaid CAI Causing MPG Reading Hiccups

You could try and pull fuse #47 and reset after 10 mins. It may help to reset the learning of the PCM. I know this is something more for people who tune there mustang but I think it's worth a try. It helped me.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

AJ!

I'll give it a try. Thank you!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdow4 View Post
Why didnt you buy mine! haha. 17-18 you must be heavy on the gas
I will admit I've been enjoying it but I've tried to get up the mpg and it won't break 18 even.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Gdpone: what year and model pony do you have?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So what is the verdict. Will I waste $$ on a tune since I'm only a daily driver or will I be happy with quicker stop to start and fuel Eco?
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I sure don't know what you did

I don't think installing the CAI would mess up the Gage showing your MPG.
Did you try doing the pencil & paper method of checking your MPG?
I'm sure you already know that it does take a few fill-ups and about 500 or 600 miles to really see what MPG you are actually getting.
Ronnie
Old 05-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Ronnie. I will do that. I was just surprised to find the discrepancy. Thanks bro!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm betting everything is just fine

Just turn the Gage on the dash to something else and don't worry about how many miles a gallon your getting. You will find out you will enjoy driving your Mustang and driving the way you like instead of lightfooting it to see if you can save a couple of dollars a tank. I use 87 octane and drive like I like too and average around 24 to 26 combined. ( Traffic & Highway ) I find I enjoy my Mustang much better not worrying about MPG.
Ronnie
Old 05-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So what is the verdict. Will I waste $$ on a tune since I'm only a daily driver or will I be happy with quicker stop to start and fuel Eco?

I have pretty much every bolt, 3.31 gears and a MPT 91 Perf. Tune and I still get 20.8 mpg around town and 27- 30 highway depending on how fast I go.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Just turn the Gage on the dash to something else and don't worry about how many miles a gallon your getting. You will find out you will enjoy driving your Mustang and driving the way you like instead of lightfooting it to see if you can save a couple of dollars a tank. I use 87 octane and drive like I like too and average around 24 to 26 combined. ( Traffic & Highway ) I find I enjoy my Mustang much better not worrying about MPG.
Ronnie
Yeah you're probably right. I'm having Steeda double check the tune but I'm not too worried about it. Just want to make sure it's not too rich.

Also I have a 12 auto
Old 05-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
I have pretty much every bolt, 3.31 gears and a MPT 91 Perf. Tune and I still get 20.8 mpg around town and 27- 30 highway depending on how fast I go.
I had MPT 93 tune, preferred them over BAMA as I've tried both, to each his own. I was averaging 22+ mpg, I was HPG (happy per gallon)
Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdow4 View Post
I had MPT 93 tune, preferred them over BAMA as I've tried both, to each his own. I was averaging 22+ mpg, I was HPG (happy per gallon)

Yep I like MPT way more than Bama
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Good for Daily Driver street tunes? Which ones?
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good for Daily Driver street tunes? Which ones?
I went with the 93 street tune, I'm not the track type race tune yet haha. Good power and mileage for me. They also have 87 and 91 whichever grade gas you want
Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

PS. I reached out to Airaid customer service a week ago. I haven't heard a word. So much for customer service. On the other hand American Muscle were back to me within hours when I approached them with my issue. They finally referred me to Airaid and that's when everything went radio silent.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
PS. I reached out to Airaid customer service a week ago. I haven't heard a word. So much for customer service. On the other hand American Muscle were back to me within hours when I approached them with my issue. They finally referred me to Airaid and that's when everything went radio silent.
Pick up the phone and call Airaid. They can choose to ignore an email, but someone has to answer the phone and, at the very least, acknowledge your presence. Give it a try an let us know
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

^^ Yup, should definitely give them a call. How long have you had your intake?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
sguevara,

Have you tried calculating your MPG by hand? I'd give this a try before moving forward. At least you'll be able to see how far the gauge is from actual average MPG.

Also, make sure you look over the installation of your Airaid CAI. Double check all of the clamps, make sure they're very snug, check all the plugs and fittings. If there's a small air leak, that will cause you a world of small issues.

Take a look and let us know if you find anything!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #34

Honestly I think the algorithm used to calculate the mpg on the guage is a little weird. Mine is still settling after like two weeks now I think.

Just double checked, only been a week. Damn seems longer lol.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Each time you reset the MPG setting, the calibration starts all over. In theory, you should do this each time you refuel. In theory, you should use the same pump, and refuel at the same time frame. In theory.

So, if you don't reset, and run the car for several tankfulls, you may see a higher average, based on the type of driving. If you reset after every tankfull, you will see either a higher than "normal", or lower than "normal" reading, depending on if you start off in stop/go traffic, or highway driving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai