Why would an axle-back improve performance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why would an axle-back improve performance?

I've done a lot of reading on this forum and on American Muscle about exhausts, listened to sound clips, and I think I've decided on the Magnaflow Street axle-back for my 2012 V6. Just one technical question that's bugging me. Why should an axle-back exhaust improve performance, assuming no other modification? Seems to me it shouldn't really improve the flow or reduce the back pressure. Are the stock mufflers really that restrictive? Or are axle-backs just for an improvement in sound, not in performance?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I never thought they did. I just thought it improved sound quality. I did notice a slight different when I installed my catbacks but could possibly be placebo who knows.
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that makes sense to me. On American muscle they say "you'll definitely see more power and sound versus your stock exhaust." I think they're just saying that to sell products... The difference should be negligible. The word "more" is not quantitative, so it's not like they're lying.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I've done a lot of reading on this forum and on American Muscle about exhausts, listened to sound clips, and I think I've decided on the Magnaflow Street axle-back for my 2012 V6. Just one technical question that's bugging me. Why should an axle-back exhaust improve performance, assuming no other modification? Seems to me it shouldn't really improve the flow or reduce the back pressure. Are the stock mufflers really that restrictive? Or are axle-backs just for an improvement in sound, not in performance?
Go to the American Muscle site. Click on Exhaust, then click on Axleback Exhaust.

Then go down and click on Info & Advice. Then go click on All About 2010-2014 Mustang Axlebacks.

Hope that helps.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I can't tell you how restrictive the factory mufflers are (I've heard they flow fine, I've never heard that they hinder performance), but I can tell you that they're quite heavy. Replacing them with something as light as a muffler delete system definitely takes weight off of the car and that's always a good thing.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Axle back mufflers don't add any horsepower. Just saying.......
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Axle back mufflers don't add any horsepower. Just saying.......
+1.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

0 performance gains. Minimal gains with a catback.
S'all about the sound mang.

Stock mufflers do weigh a buttload tho, so changin them you'd be shavin off a decent amount of weight. I forget how much weight i dropped with my catback but i remember being really surprised.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I thought. The things companies say for marketing... In the sound clip video the guy says what I quoted above, exact words. That's what got me confused.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Region: Florida
on my 14 v6 with mine replace with roush axle backs, my rear shocks seem to ride nicer LOL. sounds a lot better ,but did not notice any power diff.
357sigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You'll feel the weight reduction. I did quite a bit because the stock ones are like concrete blocks.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Having a Mustang and not having it sound bad *** is something of a issue for lots of owners. I don't get it but, to each their own. I've had big block street rods that would knock your fillings out and I thought that sucked. Quiet and quick works for me. Turbo cars are pretty quiet but that seems to be acceptable. On topic, aftermarket mufflers improving performance? Don't see it. It's all about the noise.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
The main different between an aftermarket axle-back and your stock one is going to be sound. However, there is a chance you could see a couple HP gain. Nothing to write home about and nothing that you'll really feel. But on the dyno you may see a couple (1-2) HP improvement.

Hope this helps clear things up!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
A straight through muffler/axle back will allow more some negligible power gains that really are meant to streamline a full exhaust. Some mufflers in theory would net you 0 or lose some HP and gain 1-2 TQ.

If you grab the muffler and you can't see through one end out of the other, it will net you nothing.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Magnaflow streets _ A YES from me

I don't know if you get more power but you sure will get a great sound without any drone. They also are much lighter, Made of Stainless steel, Have great looking tips and I'm sure your gonna love them.
If you look into your stock V6 tips you will see a small skinny outlet stuck into the larger tip. It is probably fine but it sure looks like crap to me.
I ordered my Magnaflow streets the same day I bought my car because of the "NO SOUND" of the stock mufflers. I also have a 2012. I'm more then happy with my Magnaflow streets

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Nice *** ronnie hahah
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, Ronnie, a post you made a while back raving about the magnaflow streets is what inspired me to look into these. Axle-backs might as well be considered an appearance mod, just the sense of sound rather than sight.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense to me. On American muscle they say "you'll definitely see more power and sound versus your stock exhaust." I think they're just saying that to sell products... The difference should be negligible. The word "more" is not quantitative, so it's not like they're lying.

I Donno if you can feel the difference cause I didn't feel it but there can be some gains depending what axel back you use.. I bought the pypes pype bombs and they literally weight like 10 pounds compared to our stock mufflers that each easily weigh 20 pounds.. So I could believe some gains from taking off roughly 40 pounds of weight I mean it's not drastic improvements but there are some gains.. But in terms of not refereeing to weight I don't think axel backs provide any form of benefit.. Even with a wide tipped axel back you still have the remaining of the pipe that can be constrictive
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang