Is the 2014 Premium V6 worth the extra $ over the Base Model V6? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #36
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I like the premium package myself and it was pretty much a must for me. However, these ones today come pretty nicely equipped as a base model.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Inventory on base V6 is over , the lots are getting the last batch of V6 and 5.0 , all loaded up and ready to compete for the 2015 initial sales. The last 2014 will look like bargains in comparison to the Dealer initial additional mark up on the Korean Stang FWIW
Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Go with the sterling gray, I like it more than the white
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Base. Use the 3k+ to build it your way with actual "performance" parts.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV6Lee View Post
Hey guys I'm trying to become a mustang owner for the first time and i don't want to regret not getting something i will love in the long run. Im looking at putting money down and then financing a 2014 mustang but first I'm trying to find out if the Premium V6 is worth the extra $4k, broken down into monthly payments over 5 years (And I'm a college student so the extra 20-50 per month does add up). Id like to hear from some people that have had either, thanks!
Looks like your going to over extend yourself. Keep your current car and put your money in a savings account. Wait till you get out of school, unless you want school and a job occupy any free time you will have.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Well I already have a job now and have worked with one job or another since I was 12 (refereeing soccer then) and I'm used to it and couldn't stop working if I wanted to. So I wouldn't be over extending my self at all, though I would be prioritizing my spending a bit more.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
If you skip the Premium can you finance for 4 years instead? 5 years is too long to finance a car. Don't fall for the "it's only $50 more a month" crap. $4000 is $4000, plus interest. I didn't want Tech/Sync, any touchscreens of any kind, or the brushed aluminum interior panels. I would've paid extra for a Base if I had to. Fortunately the cheaper one is more to my liking. Get in the habit of limiting your debt, too many Americans don't. Maybe a Mustang is not the right choice right now. Buy a new car that's cheaper if you can't put down at least $5,000.

To many people this this way! I say splurge, you never know this may be the only chance you have to get a sports car and mustang is up there with the best of them especially for the price, that was my deciding factor. I plan on having mine forever though. I don't know there is just something so iconic to me about owning a MUSTANG and the way the 2010-2014 look makes me think that it will never go out of style. I got the base and wish I would have gotten the premium because of Bluetooth/ sync and with those 2 little features you are capable of making your ride very tech savvy!
ajmoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmoye View Post
To many people this this way! I say splurge, you never know this may be the only chance you have to get a sports car and mustang is up there with the best of them especially for the price, that was my deciding factor. I plan on having mine forever though. I don't know there is just something so iconic to me about owning a MUSTANG and the way the 2010-2014 look makes me think that it will never go out of style. I got the base and wish I would have gotten the premium because of Bluetooth/ sync and with those 2 little features you are capable of making your ride very tech savvy!
You're right, I was actually thinking about this today. I don't think the last iteration of the S197 will ever look dated. I think it's just the right formula. It has all the right lines, and the 2013-2014 has the LED tail lights and HID (standard) headlights that will always look pretty good. But I can appreciate any older car so long as it is well-maintained and clean.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
You're right, I was actually thinking about this today. I don't think the last iteration of the S197 will ever look dated. I think it's just the right formula. It has all the right lines, and the 2013-2014 has the LED tail lights and HID (standard) headlights that will always look pretty good. But I can appreciate any older car so long as it is well-maintained and clean.

I don think any S197 will ever go out of style because they are the retro cars, just like the originals they emulate are still highly sought after. In another 20 or 30 years the originals will be even harder to come by, so the S197 will be the next best thing.
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I echo the above , IMO the 13/14 S197 is the one with more lineage/dimensions/old retro cues and Shelby recent striking looks. FWIW
Old 05-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
As a owner of 3 of these things I can say do not skimp out, if you have a doubt of possibly wanting an option get it. Don't regret it and then be unhappy with it because you'll quickly get tired of it and be ready to switch. I also just sold my 3rd one and looking for my 4th mustang, although it won't be a v6 because I got tired of slowness.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
how do you like your sterling gray by the way? i I'm looking between the impact blue, sterling gray, and oxford white.
Love the Sterling Grey, big jump from my 2010 Grabber Blue and IMO much better than Oxford White. My F550 is Oxford White and it looks clean from far away but filthy when you get next to it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Is the 2014 Premium V6 worth the extra $ over the Base Model V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Love the Sterling Grey, big jump from my 2010 Grabber Blue and IMO much better than Oxford White. My F550 is Oxford White and it looks clean from far away but filthy when you get next to it.
Well that helps more because I hate dirty, My first choice is the sterling gray now then the oxford. Thanks for helping me finally get my color preferences in order!!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #49
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
It was not worth the $ to me.......for $200 and an afternoon I replaced the speakers (got rid of the OEM kazoos). It has power windows, heat, A/C, and lots of fun/heritage what else do you need? It ain't like Sync or the leather are good.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #50
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
It was not worth the $ to me.......for $200 and an afternoon I replaced the speakers (got rid of the OEM kazoos). It has power windows, heat, A/C, and lots of fun/heritage what else do you need? It ain't like Sync or the leather are good.
The leather leaves a lot to be desired, so does the vinyl top. My Chrysler was much better in that regard.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
The leather leaves a lot to be desired, so does the vinyl top. My Chrysler was much better in that regard.
i guess the tech package would be a option then because i really want the connection capabilities. And hey 99ford haven't talked to you in a bit and don't you have premium though if i remember correctly? you would rather have base?
RyanV8Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
I echo the above , IMO the 13/14 S197 is the one with more lineage/dimensions/old retro cues and Shelby recent striking looks. FWIW

I would have to disagree. 2005 - 2012 noses (grill work), is closer to the 60s cars than 2013 -2014. The flatter 2005 - 2009 taillight panel is closer to the 60s then 2010 - 2014 angled corners.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I would have to disagree. 2005 - 2012 noses (grill work), is closer to the 60s cars than 2013 -2014. The flatter 2005 - 2009 taillight panel is closer to the 60s then 2010 - 2014 angled corners.

For sure. The 2005-9, if only given a quick glance, looks like it's straight outta 1965.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It is up to what you want

I love my "PREMIUM" MCA 3.7 automatic. It is just what I wanted and the Red Candy paint with the stone leather seats are perfect for Florida living.

It will be your car so get something you will want to live with.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For sure. The 2005-9, if only given a quick glance, looks like it's straight outta 1965.

I'm thinking closest to 67-68. I always liked that inverted taillight panel. Too bad that didn't do that on the S197s.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm thinking closest to 67-68. I always liked that inverted taillight panel. Too bad that didn't do that on the S197s.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Base. Use the 3k+ to build it your way with actual "performance" parts.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
+1111! I got the base because I knew I was going to be modding it anyways.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #58
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Why skimp on the interior?

When you are driving the car, that is where you will be spending your time. Ask yourself which would be easier live with, then sign the papers.

Also, the resale value on a premium will be higher whenever you decide to sell the car.
I agree with this^^^

I absolutely dislike cloth seats, especially in the Florida summers. While this may seem backwards for comfort, leather or vinyl is easier to clean, whereas cloth will obsorb sweat (yuck, butt smell), and the cloth will require frequent deep cleaning. Most folks do not have a portable carpet/cloth type cleaner systems, so this has to be done at a detail shop. Leather these days is good quality, can be easily cleaned with leather cleaners and conditioners, and it's resale value is much higher than the cloth seats.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Sterling gray!!! but I could be bias. Out of curiosity can you get a base GT for the price of a V6 premium? if so I pick that!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It would probably be pretty close

I would think a Base Manual transmission GT with no options at all would probably be fairly close in cost to a V6 Premium with an automatic transmission and candy red paint.
Ronnie
Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I agree with this^^^

I absolutely dislike cloth seats, especially in the Florida summers. While this may seem backwards for comfort, leather or vinyl is easier to clean, whereas cloth will obsorb sweat (yuck, butt smell), and the cloth will require frequent deep cleaning. Most folks do not have a portable carpet/cloth type cleaner systems, so this has to be done at a detail shop. Leather these days is good quality, can be easily cleaned with leather cleaners and conditioners, and it's resale value is much higher than the cloth seats.
????? How could leather be nice in constantly hot Florida weather? Nothing like sitting down on scorching hot seats. Mmmmmm.As for "butt smell" as long as your passengers, and your self have access to toilet paper and clean regularly that shouldn't be a problem.lol jk jk. Leather is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. I do like the look of leather just don't want my bum hole cauterized in the summer. Lol

Old 05-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Insurance costs though as a 21 year old lol
Old 05-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Insurance costs though as a 21 year old lol
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
+1 it's the same with my dib. Only thing is I have to wash my car 3-4 times a week minimum to keep it looking good.

I get compliments on my dib daily!! Its a biiiiiitch to keep clean tho!!! Worst part of having to wash it so much is im so paranoid im gonna scratch it!
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so impact blue is out because though i like the color i don't want to have to wash it that many times a week ( i have a gravel driveway :bang head: ) so its down to my two favorites sterling gray and oxford white, anybody with grabber white experience having to wash it often?

I live in the country and also have a really dusty gravel, it isnt that bad. Plus i look at car washing as good bonding time. Never had a bath/shower with a woman before?? Its pretty romantic lmao
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I get compliments on my dib daily!! Its a biiiiiitch to keep clean tho!!! Worst part of having to wash it so much is im so paranoid im gonna scratch it!
I love the color of your ride!

Old 05-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #67
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, I guess us people that live in Florida are wrong

Hi Mike, I'm guessing you have not been to Florida or you would see why leather seats just work much better.
I know that in Canada they might freeze your butt in the winter. We don't have that problem down here.
Ronnie
Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Hi Mike, I'm guessing you have not been to Florida or you would see why leather seats just work much better.
I know that in Canada they might freeze your butt in the winter. We don't have that problem down here.
Ronnie
Hello Ronnie,
No i unfortunately haven't been to Florida. My wife's friend has a MPV with beige leather, she gave me a ride last summer to my son summer hockey school while I was in shorts and I wasn't thinking about the leather seats she had and when I sat down I screamed like a little girl when my skin touched her seat. lol She laughed and said sorry she forgot to remind me about the leather and reached back and put a sheet over the seat as she says the one over hers never leaves her seat for that same reason. That's all I meant about the hot (beautiful) Florida weather must be worse than ours up here in the north but maybe not. I can only imagine black leather. I love the look and ease of cleaning leather, two boys do make a unbelievable mess some times, but I'm just not a fan of the hot days and then sticking to the seats when in shorts. People up here complain about them with the cold winters but IMO its not nearly as bad as those hot sunny summer days.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't wear short pants at all.

I don't have a problem with my leather seats. I do have tinted windows and a great A/C unit that cools my car really fast. My last three cars all had leather seats. My friend Shari has a Ford F-150 with cloth seats and they still get hot when parked for a while.
The leather seats in my Mustang do have a skillion or maybe just a million perforations in the area where your butt & back goes. The seats do not seem to get very hot at all. They sure are comfortable and look great.
I used to haul cars out of St. Threase ( I know it's spelled wrong} GM plant a long time ago and it has been really very cold every time I got stuck going up there. BRRRR. Now, I think cloth seats would be better in that frigid cold.
Ronnie
Old 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I love the color of your ride!

Thanks bro!! Cant seem to be able to keep it clean for more than 24 hrs tho haha. I painted one of my old sn95's i had candy apple metallic like your car, stayed pretty clean and damn did it shine in the sun! Great colour!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang