Is the 2014 Premium V6 worth the extra $ over the Base Model V6? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #71
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV6Lee View Post
i guess the tech package would be a option then because i really want the connection capabilities. And hey 99ford haven't talked to you in a bit and don't you have premium though if i remember correctly? you would rather have base?
I'm not saying that, but I would say Fords leather, carpet and top quality compared to that of Chrysler's is pathetic.

My Chrysler was 11 years old (almost 12 when I traded it for the Mustang, and the leather was redone at 10 years the top had zero issues until my last
Month of ownership. The carpet still looked new compared to my Mustangs carpet.

My Mustang, the top the stitching came out 2 years ago, the rubber seals are going and the leather needs to be redone. The carpet also needs replacing. I digress.

I did want the premium, and if I buy a new Mustang, I would probably go with a premium model. I'm kind of snobby in that area, but the base model mustangs are pretty loaded with features if you ask me.

Drive a base model Toyota and you'll soon realize this "base" model car has a ton features.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Is the 2014 Premium V6 worth the extra $ over the Base Model V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I'm not saying that, but I would say Fords leather, carpet and top quality compared to that of Chrysler's is pathetic.

My Chrysler was 11 years old (almost 12 when I traded it for the Mustang, and the leather was redone at 10 years the top had zero issues until my last
Month of ownership. The carpet still looked new compared to my Mustangs carpet.

My Mustang, the top the stitching came out 2 years ago, the rubber seals are going and the leather needs to be redone. The carpet also needs replacing. I digress.

I did want the premium, and if I buy a new Mustang, I would probably go with a premium model. I'm kind of snobby in that area, but the base model mustangs are pretty loaded with features if you ask me.

Drive a base model Toyota and you'll soon realize this "base" model car has a ton features.

+1 there are some good options for the base. I did wanna shoot my SYNC earlier today though. Love when it doesn't understand what you said and then it goes through the ENTIRE LIST of commands for you to choose from.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
+1 there are some good options for the base. I did wanna shoot my SYNC earlier today though. Love when it doesn't understand what you said and then it goes through the ENTIRE LIST of commands for you to choose from.
I just hit the Sync button on the steering wheel when it does that to shut her up and give my command over again.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Didn't read all 8 pages, but adding a 4k option won't make the car resell for 4k more. It will depreciate like the car. I went with a base, had Roush put in a leather kit from a GT ($400 out the door) and then Best Buy replaced all my 6x9s, an amp, a 10 and a vented box. They price match, and when you can do it together they bundle it and it is super cheap. Plus, they will uninstall for free. If they break something, they are a huge company, so its easy to file a claim, get it fixed IF anything did happen.

I am not saying it is not worth it- and Sync seems decent. I've only put 31k on mine in two years, but there's a lot of other things I would do first. My payment is 264/month, and I pay 300 (the rest goes towards the principle), so I will be paid off before the end of my loan, or the warranty ends.

What you want is up to you, but there are a lot of options, and deals, so see what is best for you. If I could have had it for a grand, I would have gotten it. But to me it's not worth much more.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I would think a Base Manual transmission GT with no options at all would probably be fairly close in cost to a V6 Premium with an automatic transmission and candy red paint.

Ronnie

It's like a 8-10k difference between the v6 and v8.. I choose the v6 because it's my dd and it's got power and is good on miles.. The best of both worlds for me.. A muscle car that I can get 35 mpg on highway is pretty awesome I'll eventually get a v8 once the times right and I pay off my v6
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #76

Region: Colorado
Like everyone is saying you pay about $4k more for the premium. For me the premium was worth it. I like the leather, better stereo, ambient lights, and most of all the track apps.

If you plan on upgrading the stereo, seats, or anything that comes with the premium down the road it probably wouldn't be worth it. (I don't plan on adding aftermarket stuff on the interior)

I would advise driving them both and see if you can live without the premium. Also, as others mentioned I wouldn't look at it as its an investment (Cars are NOT investments, haha). When you go to sell it the premium will be worth slightly more, but you will be depreciating a higher value car and still be out more money.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #77

Region: Kansas
I was going to get a base (V6) with auto that included upgraded wheels and a few additions that totaled $26,XXX. Ended up getting a Premium for $22400, $7000 off sticker (Full disclosure, there were 2 very small hail dents that gave me a $500 credit). They were only taking $5,500 of the base (I probably could have pushed a little more).

In the end it was a no brainer to get the Premium, I don't plan on upgrading much as far as seats, stereo etc. I would have regretted not getting the upgrades.
KansasMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah for the interior all I'd plan on upgrading is the sounds system probably. But I recently looked around and cars out side my area I've seen some bases as low as $16700. I guess I'll check out both premium and base then when it comes down to it just get the one that gives me the best deal. Thanks all for all the great advice and opinions, it's been very helpful!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just make sure when the time is right and you find the right V6 they don't royally screw you with a high APR rate. Too many young soldiers from my company go out and buy a Mustang the second they get out of training with a 22% interest rate. Most of the time they end up having to sell it because the payment only gives them $200 a month to live on
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'll probably be financing through my bank that I've been with for 6 years or so they should offer me a fair deal. Plus I'm only financing 50% or less of the car so there is that.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hey guys I'm trying to become a mustang owner for the first time and i don't want to regret not getting something i will love in the long run. Im looking at putting money down and then financing a 2014 mustang but first I'm trying to find out if the Premium V6 is worth the extra $4k, broken down into monthly payments over 5 years (And I'm a college student so the extra 20-50 per month does add up). Id like to hear from some people that have had either, thanks!
The only issue I regret is not having leather which is apart of the premium package. I do regret not purchasing the performance package for the extra 1900 dollars but no big deal. I would of still taken out the factory gearing of 3:31's and install my now 3:73's.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yeah I'll probably be financing through my bank that I've been with for 6 years or so they should offer me a fair deal. Plus I'm only financing 50% or less of the car so there is that.

I am a bank manager and can honestly say if anyone is going to buy a car the best place to start looking is two places.. One is a credit union since they can compete with lower interest rates and through the dealership themselves since they do a shotgun effect with your credit and try to get you the lowest interest rate they can find.. I financed my car through ford credit for 3% interest.. And car was worth 28k and I settled for 22k 2014v6 premium with performance package and exterior as well.. Push them as low as they can go they will tell you once they can't go any lower lol they wanted 420 payment I lowered it too 355.. I'm happy just don't settle lol those car dealers are tricky
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The BEST way to go is to take as many rebates as you can. Then, after the limit on the loan (with ridiculous interest) refinance with a credit union.
My father bought an F150. 7k in rebates. After 90 days at 22.9%, he switched to his credit union at whatever it was. ~2, not sure what it was.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I am a bank manager and can honestly say if anyone is going to buy a car the best place to start looking is two places.. One is a credit union since they can compete with lower interest rates and through the dealership themselves since they do a shotgun effect with your credit and try to get you the lowest interest rate they can find.. I financed my car through ford credit for 3% interest.. And car was worth 28k and I settled for 22k 2014v6 premium with performance package and exterior as well.. Push them as low as they can go they will tell you once they can't go any lower lol they wanted 420 payment I lowered it too 355.. I'm happy just don't settle lol those car dealers are tricky

That's some good haggling haha! and yeah I plan on bringing my father to the negotiations, being a CPA he knows how to haggle to help me save the extra buck.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know if this is too late but I THINK ITS 100% worth it.

I went with a v6 premium because i wanted my mustang to look great inside just as it looks great outside. You going to be spending mejority time inside so i am guessing you want to be comfterble while you drive it. Besides you want your 2014 mustang to look 2014 when people/you sit in it not like a 1995 beater car.

I honestly dont even know how/why they make the basic car without blutooth in 2014.

The wireless blutooth audio is AWESOME. I can literally listen to all my songs from my phone wirelessly while my phone is in the packet and i can even skip songs that i listen to on my phone by using the steering wheel button. HOW AWESOME IS THAT? I can pick up phone calls or call people without even pulling out my phone out of my packet.

Also the ability to change the interior colors and gage lights is very very nice.

The leather is very nice and comfortable.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE FEATURES IS THE HALGRAPHIC MUSTANG SIGN THAT SHOWS UP ON THE GROUND AT NIGHT when you open the door. It alwasy amazes people when they see it and i didnt even know the car had that until i purchased it and i went for a drive at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmoye View Post
To many people this this way! I say splurge, you never know this may be the only chance you have to get a sports car and mustang is up there with the best of them especially for the price, that was my deciding factor. I plan on having mine forever though. I don't know there is just something so iconic to me about owning a MUSTANG and the way the 2010-2014 look makes me think that it will never go out of style. I got the base and wish I would have gotten the premium because of Bluetooth/ sync and with those 2 little features you are capable of making your ride very tech savvy!

I totally agree i am 27 and just finally got a nice car. Throughout college i had a 2002 honda accord that was nice and reliable but nothing as flashy or nice as my mustang.

I have had the car for 2 months and i had 7 complitely random people come up to me and say nice car. Thats not even including family and friends that gave me compliments

You only live once and lets face it if he doesnt spend it on this car he will most likely spend it on something else. You never hear people when they are 70-80 on their deathbed saying "OH no i should have saved more money"
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #86
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post

Oh my gosh, my Moms old Lincoln had the precursor to Sync and it was pretty bad. My favorite was when the voice would say, you can say, AM,FM satellite, adjust climate control. You'd say FM 97.1 she'd say, command not recognized.

Her Acura still has faults though. Voice recognition is still not perfect but better than it used to be.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So did you get a car yet? Choices will be dwindling the longer you wait.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm trying to sell mine first so I working to sell it as fast as possible. Because it will be my down payment
Old 06-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #89
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Just trade it in.

I don't know how it is in Georgia but in Florida you only pay the tax on the difference that you pay for the car. If you don't trade it in you have to pay the tax on the whole amount of the new car. Most of the time you make out just as good or better just trading in the old car and save the grief of trying to sell it. The advertising cost you as well as talking to idiots that seem to only want to beat your price down.
Go to a Dealer, Find the Mustang you really want, Decide how much difference you want to pay, Make your offer and stick to it. Make your offer "OUT THE DOOR" meaning that is what you will pay. Just be reasonable and stick to it and let them know you will use Ford Credit if you need to finance what your paying. You can always go to your credit union later and pay it off if the % is too high.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What Ronnie said. It would suck if you held out for that top dollar only to be unable to find a color or option that you really want. Sometimes its worth it with a trade. I was going to buy my V6 outright but saw it as an opportunity to see what I could get for my 2012 Mazda. I got more than I was asking on Craigslist and more than I wanted as well as saving $1000 in taxes. Buh Bye Mazda. People who buy midpriced cars often go to dealers because of financing I've noticed. It doesn't hurt to drive to a dealer, trade offers will vary. Just don't bring the title with you. Worth a try.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang