Automatic sports shift question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Automatic sports shift question

My 2014 is automatic but has the sports shift. I don't normally drive with the sports shift but recently I been loving goosing my own shift points (no know my car has a lot of control on when I shift but beats shifting at 2rpms lol) so last night I was driving down the strip and I noticed that when I came to a stop SOMETIMES when cruising to a stop it would down shift from 3-2-1 when at a stop automatically but recently I've noticed sometimes i come to a complete stop and it's still in 3rd gear? I can even take off from the third gear obviously a little more delayed.. So is this normal or should I worry?
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
yes that is normal, if you leave it in 4th or higher it will downshift automatically. If you leave it in 3rd or lower it will hold that gear.
I like the feature, its the best of both worlds.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
yes that is normal, if you leave it in 4th or higher it will downshift automatically. If you leave it in 3rd or lower it will hold that gear.
I like the feature, its the best of both worlds.

Pheww I thought I was gonna have to bring it in to service and I just tuned my car lol.. So that's music to my ears! I love being able to change my gears, the damn auto will fly through my gears lol I'll be in 6th gear cruisin at 40 lol thank you so much for your response greatly appreciated
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
yes that is normal, if you leave it in 4th or higher it will downshift automatically. If you leave it in 3rd or lower it will hold that gear.
I like the feature, its the best of both worlds.

What scared me was cause I usta drive stick and never ever would I go off of 3rd gear from a dead stop so I was like what the heck! I love how I can pop it into auto to talk on the phone and put it into manual when I wanna purr my engine
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
NP. another tip, is if you leave it in S without touching the +-, it will rev the rpms higher but will not go into 6th. Keep in mind, that the tune does not affect the S mode, it works best in D.
Have fun man!
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
NP. another tip, is if you leave it in S without touching the +-, it will rev the rpms higher but will not go into 6th. Keep in mind, that the tune does not affect the S mode, it works best in D.
Have fun man!

Yea I noticed that lol I was cruisin out on the strip that leads to highway and I was picking up speed fast and I was like ok 3rpms this bad boy should be popin into 6th lol but I had it in sport. One quick question because you reminded me of it.. With my tune you recommend I leave the car in Drive and not use the +- feature? So if I'm in sports mode the tune will not have an affect as opposed to driving In D? I only ask because I've fallen in love with changing my gears lol
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
NP. another tip, is if you leave it in S without touching the +-, it will rev the rpms higher but will not go into 6th. Keep in mind, that the tune does not affect the S mode, it works best in D.
Have fun man!
That's not true. The tune is still in effect whether you drive in "d" or "s".
__________________
2016 GT- Lund tune, jlt intake, mbrp catback.
2014 3.7 - SOLD
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Yea I noticed that lol I was cruisin out on the strip that leads to highway and I was picking up speed fast and I was like ok 3rpms this bad boy should be popin into 6th lol but I had it in sport. One quick question because you reminded me of it.. With my tune you recommend I leave the car in Drive and not use the +- feature? So if I'm in sports mode the tune will not have an affect as opposed to driving In D? I only ask because I've fallen in love with changing my gears lol

Sorry you misunderstood. You can have all the fun you like with the S mode. I was just letting you know that the shift firmness and torque convertor values are different in S mode than D. I use the S mode daily.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
Automatic sports shift question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
That's not true. The tune is still in effect whether you drive in "d" or "s".

The shifting firmness and torque values only affect the D mode. S mode is the same as stock for shifting and torque convertor locking points.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
The shifting firmness and torque values only affect the D mode. S mode is the same as stock for shifting and torque convertor locking points.
Sorry, but no. When I uploaded my mpt tune and floored it from a stop (in "s" mode, not manual shift mode) the tires chirped into second and third because the tranny was shifting so firm. This never happened without the tune.
__________________
2016 GT- Lund tune, jlt intake, mbrp catback.
2014 3.7 - SOLD
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Sorry, but no. When I uploaded my mpt tune and floored it from a stop (in "s" mode, not manual shift mode) the tires chirped into second and third because the tranny was shifting so firm. This never happened without the tune.

Is that bad?
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Is that bad?

No, in fact firm shifts are better for your transmission.
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jaylg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Harlingen
Region: Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
No, in fact firm shifts are better for your transmission.

Awesome I tuned my baby and uploaded the tune and it's running like a beast.. Cruising here at South Padre Island Texas
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mikeygaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 556
No not bad at all I love it lol.
__________________
2016 GT- Lund tune, jlt intake, mbrp catback.
2014 3.7 - SOLD
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
13stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: altoona
Region: Iowa
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
That's not true. The tune is still in effect whether you drive in "d" or "s".
Yes ^^^^^^^ after my tune in s mode feels more aggressive than stock
13stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #16
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Sorry, but no. When I uploaded my mpt tune and floored it from a stop (in "s" mode, not manual shift mode) the tires chirped into second and third because the tranny was shifting so firm. This never happened without the tune.

Throttle position. Where did you get your info from? My info came from my tuner from Steeda(Gus)
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #17
CVH
Registered Member
Regular
 
CVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Sorry, but no. When I uploaded my mpt tune and floored it from a stop (in "s" mode, not manual shift mode) the tires chirped into second and third because the tranny was shifting so firm. This never happened without the tune.

Confirmed, I was correct with my previous statement.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non automatic headlights/automatic turn off silverskoundrel General Mustang Discussion 11 09-07-2013 10:13 AM
Automatic Shift knob SN95 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 06-30-2007 06:18 PM
Different Automatic Shift Knob Brent Mustang Audio & Video 22 11-23-2004 06:28 PM
Automatic Gear Shift Change luckyman Mustang Audio & Video 9 08-20-2003 07:50 PM
Automatic Shift Knobs --- 01 Stang Stang01 The Bar 5 07-28-2003 10:23 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:46 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.