Heating springs to lower car???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Heating springs to lower car????

Talking to my dad earlier about lowering my car and he's kinda an old school guy so he told me there's a way to heat your springs and drop it as much as I wanted to. However It sounded a little sketchy to me, anybody else hear about it?

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

....heat your springs....
_nathannnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Never heard of it, but I'm curious to know more if anyone has any info!
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
DONT HEAT SPRINGS! if your going to lower your car do it right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Why not? What's the downfall of it?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Absolutely NEVER do this. You are in essence weakening your suspension. Most of the bad ricers out there do this poor mans lowering and it has one bad side effect of making the springs weaker. They often break or worse cause excessive suspension bounce and bottoming out.

If you must compress them or cut them but never do this. (There used to be little bracket kits you could get to clamp in the middle of the springs and tighten them to compress them to lower the car or stiffen the ride).

Just do it the right way, get lowering springs.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I have heard that heating springs to lower the vehicle is a bad choice; it ruins the spring, and it looses its ability to, well, 'spring'. Buy lowering springs. And depending on how much you lower it, check the rear end to see if it now shifted; you may also need an ajustable pan hard bar, and other suspension pieces.

As stated, do it right. Too nice of a car to do it any other way.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
It's just like why you need to watch the temp when powdercoating wheels. Too high a heat and there's a potential to weaken the wheels to the point of failure. I wouldn't chance it man.

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it's possible but NOT a good idea. Save your $ till you can do it safely.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess "DAD" was an old hot rod guy

Quote:
Talking to my dad earlier about lowering my car and he's kinda an old school guy so he told me there's a way to heat your springs and drop it as much as I wanted to. However It sounded a little sketchy to me, anybody else hear about it?
A lot of cars were ruined in the "GOOD OLD DAYS" by doing crap like this. It was a time that the guys would do things and not know what the heck they were doing. Heating springs, Wheel spacers, Snow tires for better traction among other goofy unsafe mods.
I would suggest you do NOT lower your car this way.
I guess your dad did not know you would probably need to change to adjustable control arms or maybe even the drive shaft depending on how low you went. Old school was bad in the old days and worse now.( On some things)
Get the proper lowering setup and do it right. If you don't have the $$$ just put it off for now.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

And it's not like we are putting dad down; many of us (well at least me) are dads, and have been for a long while. Usually we dads like to think of ourselves as wiser when we get older, but in this case (heating springs to lower), it's just not wise to do it. Especially when a set of lowering springs are available, good pricing, and easy to install with the proper tools.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Back in the good old days

It was not really possible to buy stuff like it is today so doing things like heating springs was the norm. They did sell the clamps in the J.C. Whitney catalog to clamp onto the springs on the front. But the back had leaf springs that needed to be either cut or ruined with the torch. A lot of the guys would lower the front and not touch the rear and call it a California Rake. That made it OK to leave the butt in the air.
I'm telling you that those were the good old days and although a lot of fun and a different way of life for the street rodder. It was not the safest or fastest but the coolest look that got you respected.
It's not much different now but it is a lot safer because we now can get the stuff we need to do it right.
Ronnie
Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'll probably end up investing in some springs, thanks guys
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Heating springs to lower car????

Do it right or don't do it at all.
Never heat springs. You weaken the spring making it much more likely to fail on you.

The minimum you should do is get springs, camber bolts, and a panhard bar.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great advice

airefire said:
Quote:
Never eat springs. You weaken the spring making it much more likely to fail on you.

Really good advice.
Ronnie
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Never eat springs. You weaken the spring making it much more likely to fail on you.

Good advice not to eat springs. They really don't provide you with any additional iron your body may be lacking. Use a multi-vitamin instead, as they are easier to swallow.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Bucko also had some good advice. I'm still laughing at this one.
Ronnie
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good advice not to eat springs. They really don't provide you with any additional iron your body may be lacking. Use a multi-vitamin instead, as they are easier to swallow.

HAHAHAHAHA I missed that :p oh well. I'm sure he got the point
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Dammit now they tell me this, I think I chipped a tooth! =)
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Don't blow seals either, at least not if you ever want to be allowed back in Sea World......
Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Flintstone chewables for the win.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
DONT HEAT SPRINGS! if your going to lower your car do it right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Agreed! Do it the right way and get lowering springs. I heated the springs on an old Jetta I had. Worst decision ever all because I let my friend talk me into it. Car looked crooked, fenders looked like crap from the torch, and I'm pretty sure it opened up doors to it's ultimate demise 4 years later. Do it right and get springs man.
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
This is 2014. You don't have to heat springs or put sandbags in your trunk anymore.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang