Tune and MPG - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tune and MPG

Hi guys,

I have been wanting to tune my car but I haven't yet made my mind :/

My question is if I tune it will I see any MPG increase?

Here is how I drive so you guys could give me an estimate lol

I put 37 miles on the car daily, thats back and forth from my job, I both way is in stop and go traffic.

I never NEVER race my car at all, I always drive normal and I accelerate normal.

I ALWAYS use 93 Octane Gas from either chevron or BP.

Any recommendation guys?
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to tune my car but I haven't yet made my mind :/

My question is if I tune it will I see any MPG increase?

Here is how I drive so you guys could give me an estimate lol

I put 37 miles on the car daily, thats back and forth from my job, I both way is in stop and go traffic.

I never NEVER race my car at all, I always drive normal and I accelerate normal.

I ALWAYS use 93 Octane Gas from either chevron or BP.

Any recommendation guys?
Depends where you get your tune from. If you get it from Bama like I did mine they have 3 general types of tune: Street (least aggressive setup, overall a mild tune), Performance (more aggressive, a bit more power gain) and Race ( Most aggressive and biggest power gain but you will see some MPG loss at this point).

For your type of driving a 93 Street tune would suit you just fine. I don't think you'll GAIN MPG as you'd be changing your timing and shifting (if you have an automatic trans) but with such a mild tune you shouldn't see much loss either.

I run the Race tune and I lost ~4 mpg. Gained 1 from a CAI and surprisingly 3 from Headers, X pipe and catback. So overall I'm down ~1 mpg on average.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a tune from Steeda that I'm pretty happy with. It makes good power, and I get 22-23mpg city, and 32 hwy.
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Since I installed the new intake i only see a max of 19 mpg ave :/.

It has been 2 weeks already and still the same and it was 20-22 before.

Thats why I was thinking to buy a tune.

I emailed AM almost 3 weeks ago asking the same questions about the tune and no one ever replied back to me.

I know this car is not to save gas but for my daily commute i would like a little more mpg if possible.
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #5

Region: North Carolina
I have the Steeda CAI and tune. Right after installing the CAI MPG dropped down to 14 and would watch it drop by .1 for every 3-4 min I was at a light or whatever lol. Scared me and eventually it is just now getting back to showing 21ish MPG.

In other news I can definitely feel the power.
gdpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Since I installed the new intake i only see a max of 19 mpg ave :/.

It has been 2 weeks already and still the same and it was 20-22 before.

Thats why I was thinking to buy a tune.

I emailed AM almost 3 weeks ago asking the same questions about the tune and no one ever replied back to me.

I know this car is not to save gas but for my daily commute i would like a little more mpg if possible.
19?! Jeeze. I drive mine pretty aggressively and all the work I've done. Averaging about 26 ( according to the car anyway).

You can definitely talk to Bama and they can most likely set you up with a custom tune based off the Street variant and have it focus a little more on economy if you want, just keep in mind our cars came out of the factory focused on economy lol
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang