Plastidip and Time - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip and Time

I will be dipping my wheels in the next couple of weeks and wanted to find out from anyone who has done this how much time I should allot to this project. I imagine it will take me about 30 min to an hour to tape everything off, I'm just wondering how long it will take each coat to dry before I can apply another coat. I plan on doing about 4-5 coats as that what seems like most people are doing.

Not: I have already done a search on the forums and couldn't find anyone who stated how long the project took, and I am aware of dipyourcar.com. Just looking for peoples' experiences. Thanks.
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am debating doing my wheels also. This seems like a good idea and a cheaper way then just buying new rims and tires, lol. I'm curious to see how long as well so I could plan accordingly.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
I will be dipping my wheels in the next couple of weeks and wanted to find out from anyone who has done this how much time I should allot to this project. I imagine it will take me about 30 min to an hour to tape everything off, I'm just wondering how long it will take each coat to dry before I can apply another coat. I plan on doing about 4-5 coats as that what seems like most people are doing.

Not: I have already done a search on the forums and couldn't find anyone who stated how long the project took, and I am aware of dipyourcar.com. Just looking for peoples' experiences. Thanks.
I just did my wheels yesterday. I took them off since I was putting new center caps in as well. Including the time to jack them up, take them off, plastidip them, put them back on, and including drying times the total time was about 2 hours. I only used 3 cans of plastidip. Anyone that says anything more than a can a wheel is using way too much dip and you will get globs and drips. The reason I took them off is because if you leave them on, the wet dip will drip down and create globs or bumps on your wheels. I am an experienced plastidipper (whole cars, wheels, sections, emblems, everything possible) and this is the way to go if you want a clean and even finish. A tip is to evenly MIST not spray over the whole wheel. repeat this process until the wheel is covered evenly. Fill in problem or light spots after. If you want to dip your lug nuts wait until they are on the car and tightened and then dip them, since putting them on will strip the dip off them. Any more questions feel free to ask!
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I just did my wheels yesterday. I took them off since I was putting new center caps in as well. Including the time to jack them up, take them off, plastidip them, put them back on, and including drying times the total time was about 2 hours. I only used 3 cans of plastidip. Anyone that says anything more than a can a wheel is using way too much dip and you will get globs and drips. The reason I took them off is because if you leave them on, the wet dip will drip down and create globs or bumps on your wheels. I am an experienced plastidipper (whole cars, wheels, sections, emblems, everything possible) and this is the way to go if you want a clean and even finish. A tip is to evenly MIST not spray over the whole wheel. repeat this process until the wheel is covered evenly. Fill in problem or light spots after. If you want to dip your lug nuts wait until they are on the car and tightened and then dip them, since putting them on will strip the dip off them. Any more questions feel free to ask!

Great, thank you very much. I would prefer to take my wheels off to dip them, but do not have the proper tools to do so. (I really do not want to jack one corner up at a time). Looking on dipyourcar.com they dipped with the wheels on, so I thought it might come out alright. But I definitely do not want then to clump. I can't believe you did all that in 2 hours. The dip must have a very fast drying time. Anyways, thanks again.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blp12 View Post
Great, thank you very much. I would prefer to take my wheels off to dip them, but do not have the proper tools to do so. (I really do not want to jack one corner up at a time). Looking on dipyourcar.com they dipped with the wheels on, so I thought it might come out alright. But I definitely do not want then to clump. I can't believe you did all that in 2 hours. The dip must have a very fast drying time. Anyways, thanks again.
I jacked them up and did the front 2 and then the back 2, they were only one corner up for a few seconds. As long as you put the jack/jack stands in the right place you won't bend the frame or anything. You can dip with the wheels on it will just take a much longer time and they won't come out as good since it will drip/clump etc. and not look even after. I need everything on my car done perfectly. It dries very fast, you can mist on a coat, wait 20 seconds and mist again. When you mist on the coat it doesn't have to cover everything, misting multiple times will fill everything in. Just keep misting and waiting 15-30 seconds between each one to ensure you didn't miss anything. If a spot looks wet or darker/lighter while wet it will dry even, you don't need to try and fix it. It's super easy and super quick. $20~ for a few cans of plastidip and an afternoon of my time is much better than the hundreds of dollars for new rims. And if you don't like them after time, just peel!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Plastidip and Time

I bought 4 cans of plastidip from Walmart (because I heard about the 1 can per wheel). Had no prior experience in this field. Left wheels on car. Put trash bags behind the rims, covered the pony logo with tape and sprayed tire shine on the tires (by doing this, I didn't have to worry about the plastidip getting on the tire because it peeled right off due to the shine, not compromising the rims).

I sprayed in short half a second bursts until I covered the rim, moved on to the next one, then the next, then the next. By the time I got to the 4th tire, I went back to the first for the second coat. Did this 5 times (applied 5 coats).

After all was said and done, it took between 1 to 2 hours. Outcome was worth it.

Edit: I used roughly 2 cans.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I did mine with the wheels on the car, and I did not experience any drip or bad spots due to it. I did 2 coats, then moved the car to rotate the rims and did the other 2 coats. the can said to wait 30 minutes between coats, but 15-20 between seems to be plenty. I went with that and had no problems. I used roughly 2.5 cans.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
After a while you finger does get tired lol, just a heads up
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What he said. My finger was killing me after that session. No pain no gain, right?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Great, thank you all for all the tips. I'm glad to hear a couple of hours is as much as it takes.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I completely took my wheels off the car. It took about 2 hours allowing the different coats to dry, if its done correctly it will look really good. People think my wheels are stock black. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400845800.681645.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	157623
The stock color is actually silver!
WipeYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #12

Region: Texas
For a couple of bucks you can get a spray can handle that sure makes it easier on your finger. Get one of the ones with a 'full grip' trigger and not a 'pistol' (one finger) trigger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang