Finally! MT82 shifting issue help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Finally! MT82 shifting issue help

Friends with the S197 Manual MT82 trans. There appears to be help with the sorry shifting of the MT82 trans especially at higher RPMs. WHITELINE products has a Gearbox mount insert on there web site that will keep the trans from rocking and binding up the shifter. It is PN KDT928 and cost $35. Phone 909-476-2860 in California. Just found out about this last night at the track and I'm on this as soon as I can get it. At this price plus shipping it's a no brainer. Installation instructions are downloadable on their web site. Cheers everyone!
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Here is the link for faster reference - Whiteline KDT928 Gearbox - mount insert bushing
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sweet! Thanks for posting.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
This has actually been out for some time now and this will increase nvh but is a good trade off for better shifting imo. I have found that the combo MGW shifter, clutch fluid line change and change of fluid to Royal Purple synchromax solves all the problems one would have with the MT-82. The whiteline bushing is a good inexpensive alternative to those that don't want to change the shifter or fluid tho.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
This has actually been out for some time now and this will increase nvh but is a good trade off for better shifting imo. I have found that the combo MGW shifter, clutch fluid line change and change of fluid to Royal Purple synchromax solves all the problems one would have with the MT-82. The whiteline bushing is a good inexpensive alternative to those that don't want to change the shifter or fluid tho.

This looks like a great next mod. How much NVH are we talking about? Is it a more pronounced transmission noise or does it introduce a clunking or squeaking noise? My rear lca's introduced a little transmission hum when coasting in gear (not bad), but the squeek I had with my initial front suspension setup was really annoying.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The new MGW shifter doesn't add any nvh imo. It's the same as stock in that regard.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the Barton two post shifter bushing and the Whiteline insert being mailed to my door as we speak. Should be hear tomorrow. I'm hoping the two in combination will help minimize my complaints with the MT82...from what I've read, they should. I'll report back once I get them installed. Plan on installing them Wed or Thursday.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Finally! MT82 shifting issue help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
The new MGW shifter doesn't add any nvh imo. It's the same as stock in that regard.

Earlier you mentioned the Whiteline insert added NVH. Can you give an idea of the amount and type of NVH?

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
I have the Barton two post shifter bushing and the Whiteline insert being mailed to my door as we speak. Should be hear tomorrow. I'm hoping the two in combination will help minimize my complaints with the MT82...from what I've read, they should. I'll report back once I get them installed. Plan on installing them Wed or Thursday.
Cool! Keep us posted on your impressions of each when you get them installed.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

To those that are wondering about this insert/bushing and NVH, here is what I've learned. NVH varies from mild to a harsh vibration that is felt through the floorboard and steering wheel. A remedy exists where a 1-1.75" hole is drilled into the center piece or the center piece is completely removed. Reports are the modified part significantly reduces NVH while retaining improved reliability on high rpm or lateral load up shifts. Seems it improves reliability but may not completely eliminate gear lock out.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed a Whiteline insert today, along with a Barton two post shifter bracket. The Whiteline insert definitely adds vibration, but its not all that noticeable during normal cruising. I modified the insert by cutting the center rib off completely. I'm glad I did, because as it sits right now its just on the verge of being noticeable while cruising. When you get on it and the RPM'S climb, you can definitely tell something is different. You can feel the vibrations through the shifter and the floor boards (I felt it through the clutch pedel lol), and most significantly the audible noise in the cabin is greatly increased in the form of an engine resonance...though nothing rattles or vibrates.

That said, as soon as you back off things return to normal. I have a feeling if I hadn't modified the insert I would be annoyed with the increase in NVH. But the difference it makes is astounding. High RPM slop is greatly reduced. The combination of the shifter bracket and the mount have made the gear changes much more positive and reliable. Before whenever I would shift at high rpms, above 6000, I would have to purposely pause before going into second due to the slop of the transmission. Now it is a much more positive engagement...you can tell the car is still trying to fight you but it simply can't resist and the gear plops right into place. This is about as good shifting as the MT82 is going to get, which with the modifications is actually VERY good for a car off the lot.

The Aisin 6 speed transmission in my FR-S was better, but not by much and only after I changed the fluid, and that transmission is loved by virtually all so I feel its a good benchmark.

At the same time I did the insert and the bracket I also changed the fluid to Amsoil MTF. MTF is a thin syncromesh formulation at around 9-10cSt. Not as thin as the ford dual clutch fluid at 6cSt, but not nearly as thick as 14cSt gear oil that the original cars came with in 2011. My car was a 2012 model year which could of had the original gear oil or the double clutch fluid as I haven't checked the manufacture date. Either way the fluid in there was terrible. I would always get a nibble when going into second gear, especially when cold. Granted I've only done a short amount of driving since the swap this morning, and its 95 degrees today, but things seem improved. I have not gotten a nibble in second and the transition into the other gears seems....slicker. The only way I can describe it is the shifts seem better lubricated, slicker and with more "cushion". I used the same fluid in my 6spd Aisin unit in my FR-S. That transmission calls for a 75w-90 gear oil and many people reported much better results with syncromesh formulations. MTF in that transmission CHANGED EVERYTHING. It was amazing after the swap and it continues to impress me in my MT82. Also, being marginally thicker, it theoretically will offer more high temperature protection, which I can appreciate as I roll into summer in central Texas.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I already have the MGW, and the RP Synchromax and Whiteline bushing are on the way from AM as I type this. I'll post once I get them installed.

I don't mind NVH, and I seriously doubt I would notice any more over the Flowmaster Outlaws that are already on the car - especially not when I finally get around to installing that offroad H pipe later this summer.

For those who wanna know, the MT82 needs 2.7quarts of transmission fluid. You'll need 3 bottles.

I'm only going with RP over AMSoil because I'm already using RP for engine oil (with absolutely zero complaints from me or the car.) To put it simply; if I ever do develop a problem with the fluids I run, I'll know who's at fault.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang