2012 steering broke - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
2012 steering broke

I have a 2012 V6 with 16,000 miles.
Today, while pulling into my driveway, the power steering stopped working. I looked it over and everything looked ok, mechanically. Turned the car off and on again and the steering worked. I turned the wheel back and forth a couple times and it made a few random clicks and pops and then was completely gone again. Now it doesnt work at all, and even the adjustable setting on the dash has disappeared.

There is no CEL, and no codes according to my Actron scanner, but the message screen says "Service Power Steering Now".

A short test drive showed no power steering at all. You have to really CRANK the wheel to turn at all, regardless of speed. Also, turning the wheel sends small clicks through the accelerator pedal.

This car has never been in an accident and is still under warranty. I will call the dealer as soon as they open.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what might be wrong?
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is a very dangerous situation. In older cars, when the power steering goes out, you can still steer with more effort, which is a bit easier to do while rolling. In this car, the loss of power steering takes an incredible effort that does not ease while rolling. A weaker driver, such as my wife, would not be able to recover in a turning situation if this happened to her.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Get it into a dealership right away.If think the 2011 and up
have electric steering.I would think this is covered by
your warranty.

The steering going out would be scary.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Im gonna call the local dealer as soon as they open in the morning....If they are open on Memorial day.

Ya, its electric steering. no pump.

I dont see how it wont be covered by warranty. I sure hope so, my Google searches show that the EPAS unit costs over $1000.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
It should be under warranty. Several people on this forum have had theirs replaced due to the Service Power Steering message. I think you may be the first to actually have noticeable failure of the system though. The others were just the message.

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Really? this should be a safety recall then.

My car is nearly undrivable right now. Im just very glad that it failed in a convenient location. It could have caused a horrible accident if it happened under a different situation.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I don't think there's a safety recall because like I said, the other cases didn't show a degradation or failure of the system. Just the message on their gauge cluster. Yours is the first I've read that actually failed.

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It needs to be reported and repaired

I'm sure Ford wants to know what the heck went wrong. If it happens to many times they probably will recall a lot of cars.
Even if your warranty is over I'm sure they would have to repair this at no charge or if an accident was caused by this,Ronniethey would have hell to pay.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If they release a TSB, warranty shouldn't matter. If it is a common problem, I'm sure they don't want to go through what GM is right now.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Did u check the fuse box? This happened in my HHR and it was a fuse. Couple bucks At auto parts store.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A google search shows that this is becoming a problem with several of Ford's newer models equipped with the EPAS system.

Mine may be the first Mustang on this board to have a failure, but it is certainly not the first Ford EPAS to fail while driving.

This is a MAJOR safety issue that is affecting Focus, Fusion, Flex, Cmax, etc.

My local dealer is closed today, So I will try to get it in tomorrow, but right now, my Mustang is out of service.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Did u check the fuse box? This happened in my HHR and it was a fuse. Couple bucks At auto parts store.
It doesnt matter, and Im not going to change the fuse. This is something that needs to be addressed by Ford, regardless of what the repair involves.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya. I'm just saying if that's it then u can replace it and bring it to ford safely. Would hate to see u get in an accident driving an unsafe car. God forbid u need to turn quickly to a avoid and accident on the way there and you hit someone. Will totally be your fault and being that you are driving it knowing it is broken and dangerous isn't going to help your case esp if you hit someone and they go after you. Even your insurance company would have and out and probably be able to deny your claim because you are choosing to drive a defective vehicle. I would call your dealer and tell them the car isn't drivable and have it towed in at there expense.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That is really good advise, pwrby4d.

I am going to file a NHTSA complaint about this.

Steering and brakes are the 2 most important safety feature in ANY car. It is unacceptable for ANY manufacturer to engineer a vehicle that doesnt have an adequate steering bypass system, especially after introducing a new mechanical method to control such function.

This is a MAJOR safety issue that needs to be addressed by Ford, quickly.

It means that Ford has knowingly engineered a vital safety function with an acceptable amount of failure. But ANY casualties from faulty safety features is UNACCEPTABLE!

I hope that Ford addresses this issue, before someone has to die to open their eyes.

If Ford doesnt get ahead of this, they are going to be in a worse situation then GM is currently in.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck keep us posted in what happened/happens.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya. I'm just saying if that's it then u can replace it and bring it to ford safely. Would hate to see u get in an accident driving an unsafe car. God forbid u need to turn quickly to a avoid and accident on the way there and you hit someone. Will totally be your fault and being that you are driving it knowing it is broken and dangerous isn't going to help your case esp if you hit someone and they go after you. Even your insurance company would have and out and probably be able to deny your claim because you are choosing to drive a defective vehicle. I would call your dealer and tell them the car isn't drivable and have it towed in at there expense.
Steering systems are supposed to be engineered to maintain control if the power assist fails. If I, or anyone, were to get in an accident while driving that was caused by the approved steering bypass system, it would still be the fault of the Manufacturer. Years ago, vehicles didnt even have power steering. The failure of power assisted steering is supposed to revert to a condition where it is still steerable, but with more effort required by the driver.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My HHR was very difficult to drive when the system died as well. Moving the wheel from a dead stop was worse than a few classics I have owned with manual racks.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Well, Google it and be surprised

It seems that it is not only FORD having this problem but Honda And GM among others. It is a serious issue that they really need to take care of. Even if yours is working properly you need to think of the person coming toward you on a two lane road that has a problem. A head on crash is not anything you want to be involved in.
These car company's all trying to save a stupid five cents sure ain't saving them anything in the long run. They get some of these parts from some idiot company that gets some of their crap from CHINA or some other country without any quality controls. What the hell could go wrong with this ????DUH!
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I've heard of other brands having this issue as well as have experienced it in my own Chevy so it is an issue for all EPAS systems.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've had the same problem but only momentarily while backing out, after restarting the car the issue never arose again. Sure hope this dosent happen to anyone else!
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It really does startle you when it goes out. Mine happened and I was slowing down to pull into a parking lot and it made driving around looking for a spot really interesting to say the least.

I popped the hood and saw the blown fuse. It is one of those bigger ones with the chrome ball in the top. I got lucky and was a block away from an Auto store and it fixed it. I bought a spare and kept it in the glove box just in case it happened again.... It did a year or so later. I probably should go get a spare again.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My HHR was very difficult to drive when the system died as well. Moving the wheel from a dead stop was worse than a few classics I have owned with manual racks.

It is much harder to turn a power steering car when the power steering is out than to turn a manual steering car normally. It has always been that way. I believe it is in the steering gearing.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It really does startle you when it goes out. Mine happened and I was slowing down to pull into a parking lot and it made driving around looking for a spot really interesting to say the least.

I popped the hood and saw the blown fuse. It is one of those bigger ones with the chrome ball in the top. I got lucky and was a block away from an Auto store and it fixed it. I bought a spare and kept it in the glove box just in case it happened again.... It did a year or so later. I probably should go get a spare again.

Good idea to keep a spare with you! Most people don't even think of that.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i just dont see why they put in the electronic steering. i was messing around with a 2014 V6 rental car the other day and the steering was awful. i really dont like it at all. and it seems like its causing more potential harm than good anyways.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

My previous experiences with faulty hydraulic power steering resulted in steering response that was similar to non-powered steering vehicles,... hard to turn while stationary, but eases up while rolling.

In this car, the faulty EPAS results in tremendous steering effort that is consistent while stationary or rolling.

As a 250 lb man, I could probably recover somewhat adequately, in the event that this failed during a steering maneuver. However, my wife (who works out 3 times a week and is stronger than an average woman) would not be able to do so.

Now picture a teenage girl behind the wheel of this 300 HP vehicle, who suddenly loses the ability to steer AT ALL, because she is unable to overpower the manual steering......scary stuff.

The Electronic Power Steering Assist system is (by design) supposed to ASSIST the steering function of the car while functioning. It is not supposed to render the vehicle unsteerable when faulty.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well,I'm reading that Ford has massive recall on power steering
on suv's and other models.So far they do not include the
Mustang.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
i just dont see why they put in the electronic steering. i was messing around with a 2014 V6 rental car the other day and the steering was awful. i really dont like it at all. and it seems like its causing more potential harm than good anyways.
You're in the small minority. Of all the reviews and compares, one thing everyone loved is the steering and feel of it. Ford has the best electric steering system out there. Even Porsche is using Ford parts for electric steering. I love mine, but I keep it in sport mode, the others are too sensitive.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I love the EPAS and also keep it in sport mode.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I like the concept as long as it's safe and reliable.

Personally, I think that it's not stiff enough....even in sport mode. IMO, Sport should be the default setting, with the rest increasing in effort from there. Even in Sport Mode, it is the softest steering car Ive ever owned, except an Old 1980 Cutlass Supreme I used to have.

perhaps, my car was overly soft in the steering department?... The system did fail afterall.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Got the car back today. 9 days at the dealer. They replaced the entire rack assembly as recommended by Ford. According to the tech, the electronic motor in the EPAS failed. The repair was over $1400, but covered under warranty.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to all the comments and support by the members here! I posted this in another forum too, and got ridiculed for being a whiner. Mustang Evolution is a great place for info and discussion.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefx View Post
Thanks to all the comments and support by the members here! I posted this in another forum too, and got ridiculed for being a whiner. Mustang Evolution is a great place for info and discussion.

A whiner, yet you had an actual problem verified by Ford. I don't know why people have to be that way. Glad you got it resolved.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yeah, I had never actually paid attention to how the system worked until I was changing my oil one day and saw the rack. It has a huge box made into it with wires coming out. Considering how low that stuff is to the ground, makes me wonder if it could be susceptible to debris.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you got it resolved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang