Break-in - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Break-in

Hi! Is break-in on a new mustang necessary? Ive been looking at the manual and cant find info on it.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I forgot where I read that it's recommended to hit 1,000 miles on the car until you press on it.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
In your manual yes.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You mean drive slow till 1000miles? Anyone know the page in the manual?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not necessarily drive slow, just don't press the gas so aggressively. If that makes any sense.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Lol you guys know at the time of build they test the motor and run it harder than you could ever run Ur motor at. So no not really. Drive Ur car as u please. The ecu will limit you for the first 200 miles because it's a dealer thing. Meaning they don't want people test driving the car and going 120 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I did it this way

Bought my Mustang on Sunday
Ordered Magnaflow streets on Monday.
Magnaflow streets came in on Wednesday.
Installed the Magnaflow's on Thursday.
Packed up my dog Mario and some cloths Thursday night.
Left for the American Muscle show in Media Pa. Friday morning.
Mustang had less then 100 miles on it when I left Daytona for Pa (About 1,000 miles)
Car ran perfect then and it still does now. Uses no oil at all except what the catch can catches between changes. I get good MPG ( 24 to 27 combined.) I probably could do better if I drove like a cheap, sissy but I don't.
I changed my oil at 3,500 miles( Semi-Synthetic) and again at 7,500 miles ( Full Synthetic this time) I just go to my Ford dealer to get it done. It does not cost much more and my guy Willie checks out everything on my Mustang while it is up in the air.

This is my co-pilot "MARIO" He loves my Mustang as much as I do. Maybe it was good for him to be with me because stopping at almost all of the rest stops all the way up and back allowed my car to cool down and rest a lot. Ha! Ha!

Here we are at the American Muscle Show. If you have never been to their All Mustang show you are really missing out on a great time.

Going North was not really bad with traffic until the the other side of Washington. But if you look on the southbound side you can see the traffic was bumper to bumper stop and go slow all the way from Washington to Richmond. We came home down Rt. 301 avoiding that crap. I don't know how people can stand living there.

That was the best car break-in I ever did. Weather it was the right way or not I really did not care because it sure was the most fun.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Just drive it.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I never worried about a break in period. I tuned and intaked my car the first couple hundred miles and drove it pretty hard from then on out. Just don't cruise at a steady rpm for a long time and make sure you vary rpms alot, flooring it occasionally.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Not much of a break in required. It just says to vary the engine load for the first 1000 miles or so. Dont take a new car onto the highway and put the cruise control on. The piston rings need some pressure applied to them so they will seat in while there is still some roughness to the cylinders.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I didn't use cruise control at all.

I went up I-95 and anybody that has ever drove on this interstate can tell you. A steady speed is impossible. You are constantly going from 60 to 90 MPH Up & Down- Up & down. Cruise control is a joke on this highway.
Ronnie
Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I see. Thanks for the tip guys!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Break-in

Drive it like you stole it

My dealers advice when i asked about a break-in period lol
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I broke mine in on the test drive. The sales guy almost **** himself. He probably would have stopped me if I wasn't already pre approved by my bank.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I just turned 4000 miles today........... ooops. I forgot to break it in.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is way more important

Better then worrying about breaking it in is to get that OIL & FILTER change at about 3,500 miles. It will get the very small tiny particles from causing wear on your engine. 3,500 or 4,000 seems to be the best. "NO SOONER"
Then do it again at 7,500 and change from Semi-Synthetic to full synthetic. Do this and you will never have a problem using oil unless it is a factory defect in your engine."""(RARE""")
It's not like the old day's because the engines are put together way cleaner and tighter then the good old days.
Go to any car factory and see how they test your engine and transmission on the dyno at the end of the production line. They sure don't baby them.
Ronnie
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Ha, break in. My car was only lucky I bought it in the middle of the midwest winter. You break it in how you plan to drive it. Top fuel guys don't throw their fresh 3000hp motors in their cars and put 500 gentle baby miles on them before they start running 4 second 1/4 miles.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good advice

KSconvert say's:
Quote:
Top fuel guys don't throw their fresh 3000hp motors in their cars and put 500 gentle baby miles on them before they start running 4 second 1/4 miles.
I'm guessing KSconvert does not know this but-" The top fuel and cars likes this get torn down and the engine re-built after ever 1/4 mile run.

He does have some good advice though. Just drive it and don't worry about it. Just don't take it to the drag strip or burn-out contests for a couple thousand miles.

Ronnie
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Haha I know those engines aren't exactly built for longevity, but the point is still valid. I remember reading several articles on this subject in multiple hot rod magazines. Most of the engine builds I read up on were "broken in" at a high rpm in order for the rings and other parts to be conditioned for being wound up quite often. But of course everyone has their theories and there really is no right answer. There are way too many variables in such things to be narrowed down to a fault coming from improper break-in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang