Axel back opinions welcomed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Axel back opinions welcomed

I have a 2014 V6 Premium stang.. I bought the pypes pype bombs just because the price was in my budget.. They are pretty loud and I do like the sound.. Buuut when on the highway the drone is pretty loud.. Going 70 I can feel my ears vibrate lol.. Also the sound is pretty beast on lower RPM's but once on high RPM's it sounds kinda whinny..

So re investing into my axel back three choices so far.. Borla attack / borla stinger / flowmaster force 2 -

So far I am leaning on Borla Attk.. It has less drone and I am looking for a deep tone.. But something I can drive on the highway and still hold a convo with the wife lol
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 14 v6 too I was thinking of just putting a off-road xpipe and roush axle backs but I did see the pypes were a lot cheaper do you think they pop to much and drone only on highways right?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3racing View Post
I have a 14 v6 too I was thinking of just putting a off-road xpipe and roush axle backs but I did see the pypes were a lot cheaper do you think they pop to much and drone only on highways right?

To be honest my pypes pype bombs don't pop at all actually.. They roar pretty good at low RPM's but in higher gears the exhaust will drone and I'll whine pretty good.. I love it at lower gears and when on the throttle but when u cruise it's just a constant whine.. That's why I wanted the borla attack.. So when I cruise it dosnt sound like it's all whining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Are you selling the pype bombs by any chance
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you selling the pype bombs by any chance

Yea I can but down side I actually welded so ima need to cut it off lol shouldn't mess up the quality.. But the muffler is actually already broken in.. Sounds good just that I drive a lot on highway
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Why would you weld them and are they the chrome or black
Old 05-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why would you weld them and are they the chrome or black

I was gonna go cat back in the future so it didn't matter, but the guy had a lot of trouble taking off the stock exhaust so I said to just take it off n weld.. But they are the black pypes
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The s types are amazing. They have a really deep nice sound. 0 drone on the highway but when you gun it they roar and people will break their necks to look. At first i was afraid they wouldn't be loud enough and almost bought the attacks but I'm glad I didn't. They're plenty loud when you want them to be but quiet when you dont.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
The s types are amazing. They have a really deep nice sound. 0 drone on the highway but when you gun it they roar and people will break their necks to look. At first i was afraid they wouldn't be loud enough and almost bought the attacks but I'm glad I didn't. They're plenty loud when you want them to be but quiet when you dont.

Yea It's now between the type S or the attack.. I'm leaning on the type S.. They sound like everything I am looking for
Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Yea It's now between the type S or the attack.. I'm leaning on the type S.. They sound like everything I am looking for
Nice, you wont be dissapointed either way. Borla is the best.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Nice, you wont be dissapointed either way. Borla is the best.

Just saw a video and I'm going Attk.. I want something I can cruise with and sound str8 up mean when I want it too.. Right now with my pype bombs it feels like they make so much noise.. For the noise they put out you would think i be going 100mph lol I deff like how the borla tone sounds.. I'm excited! I had my pypes welded wonder if that will create a problem when installing the attacks
Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Ronnie and Bucko,

I think you guys get together regularly with Mustang people down there. How do the Borla S-Types sound in person? How do they compare with the Streets in person?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Ronnie and Bucko,

I think you guys get together regularly with Mustang people down there. How do the Borla S-Types sound in person? How do they compare with the Streets in person?

I'm in Harlingen Texas.. Next get together is at South Padre Island august I want my baby ready to roll by then.. And get some bolt ons done real quick
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm in Harlingen Texas.. Next get together is at South Padre Island august I want my baby ready to roll by then.. And get some bolt ons done real quick

I'm in Houston message me when ever you are ready to off those pype bombs
Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Stay away from the Ataks if you ave good hearing

The S type sound great at idle and when getting on it. They are still not as deep a rumble as the Magnaflow streets.
If you don't want a lot of noise and drone get the Borla touring's.
The big problem is all of the pipes out there sound great to somebody. Some people actually get the ATAKS and then put on resonators to calm down the sound so they sound more like the touring's.
A V6 does not sound like a V8. Put loud mufflers on a V8 and "WOW". Put loud mufflers on a V6 and say "OH CRAP"
As of right now I think the:

MAGNAFLOW STREETS are best sounding.
Ford Racing are almost as good on the V6.
Borla Touring sound the same as Ford Racing.

I'm talking 3.7 V6 and not a GT 5.0 and this is me, There are some that like their Mustang to scream and wake up their neighbors. They don't care about if the sound is good, They just want LOUD OK for them, but I like the nice deep rumble of my Magnaflow streets that do come alive when I floor it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
i had the flowmasters on my 2011, and i wasn't very impressed. it wasn't loud enough for my taste, and did have the popping and very little drone. just not aggressive enough for me. i felt like i paid almost 700 for little to nothing.

i just ordered the Roush axlebacks for my 2013 after hearing them on a friend of mines car, and i think i will be very pleased. nice and aggressive, but doesn't kill you on the highway. i like the borlas as well, but the Roush was more in budget for me.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Information that may interest some of you

Here is a link to Borla to hear all three Mufflers:

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
I have a 2014 V6 Premium stang.. I bought the pypes pype bombs just because the price was in my budget.. They are pretty loud and I do like the sound.. Buuut when on the highway the drone is pretty loud.. Going 70 I can feel my ears vibrate lol.. Also the sound is pretty beast on lower RPM's but once on high RPM's it sounds kinda whinny..

So re investing into my axel back three choices so far.. Borla attack / borla stinger / flowmaster force 2 -

So far I am leaning on Borla Attk.. It has less drone and I am looking for a deep tone.. But something I can drive on the highway and still hold a convo with the wife lol
I have the mrt ones and love them
13stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you want the best sounding axle back ever created for the mustang, your wait is over bro. The Flowmaster Force II axle backs. Its a slice of heaven in the shape of a muffler.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I know you already went with Pypes. But I love my Pypes Mid-Muffler catback. They use straight through glass-pack type mufflers right after the X-pipe rather than towards the end of the pipes.

Had a really nice sound, no drone. About mid-level loudness. Had a deep grumble but wasn't overwhelming. Plus it's a catback so you actually get power from it =P.

Since then I've upgraded with Long tube headers and a larger X-pipe so it's a completely different animal now. Sounds savage haha
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang