Will a Steeda Tune hurt future resale? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Will a Steeda Tune hurt future resale?

I'm considering a Steeda tune on my 2013 mustang V6. I've got airaid CAI, Magnaflow Axelbacks, Auto w/ 2.73 gears. Do you think a tune will push a potential buyer away?
13BlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post
I'm considering a Steeda tune on my 2013 mustang V6. I've got airaid CAI, Magnaflow Axelbacks, Auto w/ 2.73 gears. Do you think a tune will push a potential buyer away?

This is a good question. I'm wondering what the consensus is?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post
A tune could very well hurt your resell value because someone may think you drove the car hard. Any performance mods MAY deter a potential buyer or MAY help you sell the car faster. It just depends on the buyer. Keep all your maintenance records of the car.

I have about 4300k in mods to my 3.7 and I would be lucky to get 30% back when and if I sold the car. Then again I mod my car for my enjoyment and not worry about my resell value 15-20 years from now. Ha ha ha ha.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
A tune could very well hurt your resell value because someone may think you drove the car hard. Any performance mods MAY deter a potential buyer or MAY help you sell the car faster. It just depends on the buyer. Keep all your maintenance records of the car.

Valid points. It might also hurt more if the age or mileage is low enough to allow the car to still be under warranty. If the warranty has expired, they probably won't care as much about a tune.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Valid points. It might also hurt more if the age or mileage is low enough to allow the car to still be under warranty. If the warranty has expired, they probably won't care as much about a tune.
Very true, if the warranty period is over then people may be more willing and receptive to the idea of a tune. I also think people have the thought that if its modded, you must beat on it and drive it like you stole it. Why else would one mod their pony if not to beat the ball snot out of it. Ha ha ha!

Perhaps some do beat the ball snot out of their pony but I certainly don't , not even close and my pony has many bolt on mods. Granted my pony is driven spirited by me but not abusive or hard.

I do feel overall on a modded mustang even with a performance tune can bring down resell value and turn potential customers away because the fear that you abused the car.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I would assume to the right person a tune could drop the resale. I wouldn't think it would drop any more than a tune from Roush or Saleen.

I remember Steeda modified cars at Ford dealerships parked next to Roush and Saleens.

They are that level of company in Ford's eye, at least they were at one time. Not sure if they still modify and sell their own cars like Roush and Saleen. Still, there is a strong history there with Ford so you know they aren't some random little shop putting out crappy products.

My friends dad had either a blue/white or blue/silver Steeda GT from the mid/late 90s that he bought brand new from a Ford dealership. It was I think a GT with bolt ons, tune and a crap ton of suspension work. It was a pretty bad *** ride. It looked something like this except the colors.

It's sort of like Lingenfelter with Corvettes. They are a well known company and it shouldn't be an issue. In fact, it will likely be better than a tune from a lesser known company, as far as resale.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It depends on the buyer. Some guys like me will not buy a modified car because amateurs can really screw things up making life difficult and/or cause damage and leave you with a hacked up car that needs additional work. I also feel that why would someone modify a car unless they intended to use the additional performance. OTOH if a buyer is planning to buy the exact mods you've done they see it as a way to save cash. Sometimes buyers who want to mod a car want a stock vehicle so they can do it their way. Return it to stock if you want to sell and sell the parts separately if you can.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If one is gonna mod do it for your enjoyment only, if one is concerned about resell value then don't mod. I personally am not worried about my resell value. I want to enjoy my pony the way I want to enjoy my pony and thats with a tune, bolt on mods and appearance mods. Lol

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
If one is gonna mod do it for your enjoyment only, if one is concerned about resell value then don't mod. I personally am not worried about my resell value. I want to enjoy my pony the way I want to enjoy my pony and thats with a tune, bolt on mods and appearance mods. Lol

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dam right,
You only live once. If you want to mod go nuts, just don't do anything too extreme.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If ur gonna Re sell it just put the stock tune back on 😝

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If it's a brand new car and you are already worrying about resale value just sell the car right now and get a civic.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't think a tune will hurt your future resale value. DON'T count on getting back a lot of money on your mods.

Several factors will influence your sale value. One, keep a log with all of your bills and receipts. Keep a detailed log of all of your maintenance. Your mileage, exterior and interior shape will also be factor.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would shy away from a tuned car. Never know the level of capability of the person doing the tune.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Soccerluver4....interesting suggestion to sell his Mustang and get a Civic? Maybe you should take your advise. Good for the goose....good for the gander.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Will a Steeda Tune hurt future resale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskilowatt View Post
Soccerluver4....interesting suggestion to sell his Mustang and get a Civic? Maybe you should take your advise. Good for the goose....good for the gander.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

It's a 2013 Model car. If he is already worrying about resale value then it means the Mustang is most likely just another car. If it's just another car then there are plenty of those out there that "do the job". My car is a special edition model of the Mustang, I daily drive it and mod it up the wazoo, resale value means nothing to me because I don't plan to sell it.... It seems like OP already is thinking of selling the car, so if he is already thinking off selling it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Resale value? What's that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Steeda is the best aftermarket part manufacturer in the world; not Shelby, not Roush, not Ford Racing. And I'm not saying that because I gave them $2,000+ of my money in the last few months at all...

Kidding (except for that last part). I have a Steeda tune and drive my GT hard every day. I'm hoping good regular maintenance will keep the car in good shape and when I go to sell my GT, I'll return it to stock and the next owner won't have to know or anything to worry about provided it stays in good condition.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Steeda is the best aftermarket part manufacturer in the world; not Shelby, not Roush, not Ford Racing. And I'm not saying that because I gave them $2,000+ of my money in the last few months at all...

Kidding (except for that last part). I have a Steeda tune and drive my GT hard every day. I'm hoping good regular maintenance will keep the car in good shape and when I go to sell my GT, I'll return it to stock and the next owner won't have to know or anything to worry about provided it stays in good condition.
Nitrous express and nitrous outlet are the best aftermarket part manufacture in the world. Hahahhahabahhaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just curious but why wouldn't you be honest with a potential buyer of your car about it being tuned? Why wouldn't you sell the car as is with the tune and tuner? Keeping the tune a secret and hidden from a potential buyer doesn't sound very ethical too me but perhaps my integrity values are a higher standard than others!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
[QUOTE][They are that level of company in Ford's eye, at least they were at one time. Not sure if they still modify and sell their own cars like Roush and Saleen. Still, there is a strong history there with Ford so you know they aren't some random little shop putting out crappy products./QUOTE]

Yes, we still sell our vehicles by phone & at select dealerships nationwide!
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It really comes down to the buyer & the "wants" they have for a vehicle.

If you are selling to an enthusiast ... they will probably not have any issues with a tuned car ... the avg. consumer ... they may shy away.

Have fun now & worry about the re-sale down the road!!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

[QUOTESteeda is the best aftermarket part manufacturer in the world; not Shelby, not Roush, not Ford Racing. And I'm not saying that because I gave them $2,000+ of my money in the last few months at all...][/QUOTE]

Thank you for your feedback & thank you for being a Steeda enthusiast!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just curious but why wouldn't you be honest with a potential buyer of your car about it being tuned? Why wouldn't you sell the car as is with the tune and tuner? Keeping the tune a secret and hidden from a potential buyer doesn't sound very ethical too me but perhaps my integrity values are a higher standard than others!

You're right man, it's best to be honest.

However, I don't believe just a simple [well-written] tune (with other no mods to the engine) would dramatically shorten the life of an engine. It's regular maintenance and upkeep that calls the shots. So if my tuned motor with no problems right now has absolutely no problems down the road (let's say 60,000 more miles), then I don't think I'd make 'the motor being tuned' a big deal at all.

Although, I could be wrong. Lastly, I'd return the car to stock regardless because custom tunes (even conservative ones like Steeda) are quite aggressive over stock and most may not like that at first.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've read here, if Ford wanted to look at the ECM history they could see everything including any tune history. If that's the case, it would be best to disclose a tune to a buyer and take tuning into consideration when making the decision to tune or not tune. If there is a warranty remaining when you sell it, the warranty is probably the biggest concern for a buyer. A tune could tend to cause a buyer to wonder how hard the vehicle has been pushed. A used car is......used.
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskilowatt View Post
From what I've read here, if Ford wanted to look at the ECM history they could see everything including any tune history. If that's the case, it would be best to disclose a tune to a buyer and take tuning into consideration when making the decision to tune or not tune. If there is a warranty remaining when you sell it, the warranty is probably the biggest concern for a buyer. A tune could tend to cause a buyer to wonder how hard the vehicle has been pushed. A used car is......used.
I'm a 2010 guy. 2011+ models is when Ford developed the smarter ECM. At least that's what a Ford service guy told me.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I'm a 2010 guy. 2011+ models is when Ford developed the smarter ECM. At least that's what a Ford service guy told me.
Correct.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're right man, it's best to be honest.

However, I don't believe just a simple [well-written] tune (with other no mods to the engine) would dramatically shorten the life of an engine. It's regular maintenance and upkeep that calls the shots. So if my tuned motor with no problems right now has absolutely no problems down the road (let's say 60,000 more miles), then I don't think I'd make 'the motor being tuned' a big deal at all.

Although, I could be wrong. Lastly, I'd return the car to stock regardless because custom tunes (even conservative ones like Steeda) are quite aggressive over stock and most may not like that at first.
I agree bro. A well written tune won't shorten the life of an engine. I also think Steeda makes great products and solid great tunes. In fact I also have a Steeda tune and bought into the free tunes for life program last year when they first opened that program up.

You shouldn't have any issues selling your tuned car to a mustang enthusiast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang