Need help picking mods! P - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Need help picking mods! P

So i'll be getting a new car in a couple a weeks and hopefully it's a 2012 v6 mustang and if it is I want to mod it. I've been doing some research and this is the list I've come up with. Please comment if you know better mods or suggestions. Bama Diablosport Intune Tumer, Steeda CAI, BBK 73 MM Throttle Body, Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer, Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust, BBK Tuned Length Shorty Headers, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Suspension Springs, And a SR Performance Strut Power Brace.

I would like too keep the MPG relatively the same or better if possible.
Chozilla96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

3.55 differential gears. Happiest day of my life when I got those puppies. I need to get out more...
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Also, aluminum drive shaft and lighter flywheel will give you a better throttle response and acceleration.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
From what I've read the best bang for your buck on these cars is a CAI and tune and gears. Especially if you have the 2.73's from the factory although it will probable cost you in the MPG department going with a taller gear. The suspension mods will definitely improve handling but the headers and axleback are basically sound mods from what I've read about these cars. I remember reading the progress of a turbo build and they utilized stock manifolds because they flowed so well.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Honestly a cai mostly for looks it just looks sick under the hood and the air sucking noise is a good sound too axle backs for that aggressive loud race car sound yeah it's not a v8 but honestly screw it make it sound good yeah a tune is really nice but I have all three and honestly I'd choose the cai and axle back before is go with the tune the tune does kick it into high gear though haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozilla96 View Post
So i'll be getting a new car in a couple a weeks and hopefully it's a 2012 v6 mustang and if it is I want to mod it. I've been doing some research and this is the list I've come up with. Please comment if you know better mods or suggestions. Bama Diablosport Intune Tumer, Steeda CAI, BBK 73 MM Throttle Body, Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer, Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust, BBK Tuned Length Shorty Headers, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Suspension Springs, And a SR Performance Strut Power Brace.

I would like too keep the MPG relatively the same or better if possible.
Chozilla96,

Hope you're able to pick this Mustang up in the next few weeks. If you don't, is it because you're looking at other cars or just looking for a similar Mustang at a better price?

I see you have a lot of mods planned out, which is awesome. I've never been a fan of a stock car, no matter what model haha. Your list is pretty solid too, but there's a few things I would change. First, is the throttle body spacer, they really don't do much but effect throttle response. Which you'll increase anyways from the BBK throttle body. I'd save your money on the spacer for other mods.

Do you plan to keep the factory mid-pipe for emissions reasons? If not, I highly recommend a catless mid-pipe, you'll see more power with this entire setup if the cats are removed. Especially if you have headers installed.

Now to suspension- if you're going to be lowering the ride height, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle. This would be the bare minimum required for a 1.5" drop for a 11-14 Mustang. If lowering the car more than 1.5", you'll probably need Eibach camber bolts to hold a proper alignment.

Hopefully some of this info helps clarify things for you. If you need any other addition assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just be aware that there are only a few places that tune with a intune, your choices will be limited in the future if you decide to go with a different tuner. The most popular tuning device is going to be an SCT device.
Some of the more aggressive tuning companies (MPT and Lund) only tune with SCT devices.

Also when I had my 3.31 gears I got 29 mpg with light mods and a tune. There is a huge difference between 2.72 to 3.31 gears as far as performance, 3.31 gears would still allow you close to 30 mpg. Keep in mind I have an automatic, so a manual would probably get even better gas mileage.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
3.73 gears!

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
3.73 gears!

+1! I love my 3.73s! Op the CAI is a mod not to start with IMO if your looking for performance. As someone has already mentioned its mostly for looks and sound. It has been well documented that the OEM airbox flows more than adequately. Tuner/gears should be your first mod combo for performance especially if your car has the horrible 2.73s like mine did. Then a full exhaust would be my next choice. After that anything goes, except a tb spacer. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
3.55 differential gears. Happiest day of my life when I got those puppies. I need to get out more...
Lmao! I hear you bro!

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
3.73 gears!

huge difference in my acceleration times I love it
john.petr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Performance wise I think you chose some great mods, however you cannot forget about appearance mods! Personally I believe tint does our cars a lot of justice. Tint the rear windows along with the side markers and your car will look significantly better! Best of luck on your new purchase.
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Just be aware that there are only a few places that tune with a intune, your choices will be limited in the future if you decide to go with a different tuner. The most popular tuning device is going to be an SCT device.
Some of the more aggressive tuning companies (MPT and Lund) only tune with SCT devices.

Also when I had my 3.31 gears I got 29 mpg with light mods and a tune. There is a huge difference between 2.72 to 3.31 gears as far as performance, 3.31 gears would still allow you close to 30 mpg. Keep in mind I have an automatic, so a manual would probably get even better gas mileage.

The auto gets better gas mileage in the 3.7 (weird, i know)
Auto - 31 hwy mpg
Manual - 29 hwy mpg
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
The auto gets better gas mileage in the 3.7 (weird, i know)
Auto - 31 hwy mpg
Manual - 29 hwy mpg

I've also heard that the autos came with narrower and harder tires that helped with gas mileage. It would be interesting to hear what autos actually get opposed to what there rated at. My manual gets anywhere between 31-39 on the highway depending on how fast I'm going and the demographics of the roads I'm driving on.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Is that with your custom 1.73 gears? Maybe with imperial gallons but 39mpgs?

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Is that with your custom 1.73 gears? Maybe with imperial gallons but 39mpgs?

Stock 2.73s base model 6 speed. I kept it at 60-65 the whole time but that is strictly 100% highway. Best I've gotten is 38.53 and that is calculating it manually not the computer that isn't always accurate.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Stock 2.73s base model 6 speed. I kept it at 60-65 the whole time but that is strictly 100% highway. Best I've gotten is 38.53 and that is calculating it manually not the computer that isn't always accurate.

Ive gotten the same. Many times.

These things run on smiles, not gas. Im sure of it.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang