Sports mode + tune issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sports mode + tune issue

I was at a drag strip with some friends and I went against a Volkswagen gti 265 hp v6 stock.. All I essentially have is a CIA and tune at the moment.. I poped my car Into sports mode (5 gears) and at take off I noticed the first two gears I jumped ahead of him pretty good then 3rd or 4th gear revved up to almost 7-8rpms.. And at that point he actually caught up and passed me a bit and the next gear went In and we evened out.. So my question..

Is it normal for my RPM's to reach so high? I know sports mode does this but I feel like if the gear shifted at 5-6 I would of completely stayed ahead.. We are gonna go bak to the track this weekend I get my bbk shorts see if that helps me out..
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It's my understanding that your tune will only work when in normal drive mode not sport mode. Bama/Steeda/Mpt or Lund should clarify for you.
13BlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post
It's my understanding that your tune will only work when in normal drive mode not sport mode. Bama/Steeda/Mpt or Lund should clarify for you.
This is not my experience with MPT or Bama. The tune still works in either drive or sport mode. The only difference i could think of that affects the tune in sport mode is that you are choosing your own shift points versus the tune choosing them for you in drive. I pull just as hard in sport mode as i do in drive. The beauty of sport mode if you hit that sweet spot with a tune you'll chirp tires when you shift . Anyways i'd say just test out shifting 5500-6k instead of closer to 7k and see if there's a difference.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlackStang View Post

Cause I use the sports mode to shift gears but this time I left it in auto to only use the 5 gears.. And see how it works but looks like it slowed me down.. Ima call bama to confirm
Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

why would that even matter whether or not you need 5th or 6th. You shouldn't be in that high of a gear in a 1/4 mile race.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
why would that even matter whether or not you need 5th or 6th. You shouldn't be in that high of a gear in a 1/4 mile race.

Well when I watched a video it showed to get the most out of the mustang in a race it's best to throw it Into sports mode.. Changes the gears at higher RPM's so I Donno if by doing so it altered the tunes shifting points.. You shouldn't need 6th gear which is why I put it Into sports mode.. 5 gears since I know I won't be that high in the gears..
Old 05-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This is a stupid question i am sure but how do you put the car in sports mode?

All i saw for sport mode was the steering option sport mode.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
This is a stupid question i am sure but how do you put the car in sports mode?

All i saw for sport mode was the steering option sport mode.

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked bud. The sports mode I am talking about comes with a V6 Premium and is equipped with automatics. You find it on the automatic shifter it's the last spot on the gear shift under D.. Has an S for sport allows you to do two things. When in gear if you don't touch the shifter + - the car still changes gears for you but the 6th gear is eliminated and you only run off of 5 gears with the shifts being in higher RPM's.. Once you hit the +- you take over the gears and can change through all six gears as long as it dosnt damage the motor cause the CPU won't let you do anything dumb lol
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
The only stupid question is the one that is not asked bud. The sports mode I am talking about comes with a V6 Premium and is equipped with automatics. You find it on the automatic shifter it's the last spot on the gear shift under D.. Has an S for sport allows you to do two things. When in gear if you don't touch the shifter + - the car still changes gears for you but the 6th gear is eliminated and you only run off of 5 gears with the shifts being in higher RPM's.. Once you hit the +- you take over the gears and can change through all six gears as long as it dosnt damage the motor cause the CPU won't let you do anything dumb lol
Wow thats awesome i have the 2014 v6 premium but didnt know the +- does all that. I just thought it was if you want to manually shift gears and only really tried it out once. I will definitelly try to put it in S mode and not touch the +- sign.

Well thats another reason to add to the very long list of reasons i am happy i got the premium edition.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Wow thats awesome i have the 2014 v6 premium but didnt know the +- does all that. I just thought it was if you want to manually shift gears and only really tried it out once. I will definitelly try to put it in S mode and not touch the +- sign.

Well thats another reason to add to the very long list of reasons i am happy i got the premium edition.
On the 13 and 14s u don't have to have the premium all autos have the sports shift
13stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
On the 11/12s you can't plus or minus but you can put it in grade assist which is very similar to sport mode without the ability to shift yourself. You can shift manually thru 1 2 and 3 then drive which goes to 4th. If grade assist is on it locks out 6th gear but with 3:31 rear end I'm just coming out of 3 rd in the quarter any way.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You want the motor to Rev as high as it can because that's when the car is making power. You can't really compare hp to hp there are a lot of other factors he could just be lighter so he got you up top. Anyways you want to keep the rpm high I shift mine at like 7 in the auto

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
You want the motor to Rev as high as it can because that's when the car is making power. You can't really compare hp to hp there are a lot of other factors he could just be lighter so he got you up top. Anyways you want to keep the rpm high I shift mine at like 7 in the auto

Yea I think my tune is having issues.. I'll be shifting gears and in third gear I'll be hitting the gas and the RPM's will rise to 3 RPM's and while my foot is still firmly on the gas the RPM's will drop and then rise again.. Feeling as if the gear shifted up but I am still in the same gear.. (This is while I drive in sports mode changing my own gears).. I've even felt some hesitation in the gears while I press the gas so ima have to go back to stock see if it's the tune for sure..
Old 05-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's the only way to test it, a lot of the time the tables don't carry over to sport mode. Bama has been having some issues lately apparently. Sounds like it might be missing I would go to stock or use another one of their tunes and see if it's the same way

Old 05-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Try just leaving it in Drive and let the car shift itself.

You also do not need 5 gears for the 1/4 mile.

Also try shifting close to 7k if not let the car do it.

What gears do you have?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Try just leaving it in Drive and let the car shift itself.

You also do not need 5 gears for the 1/4 mile.

Also try shifting close to 7k if not let the car do it.

What gears do you have?

My car has stock 3.31's sadly.. What's funny is that with my pype bombs I dare not shift any higher then 5.. They scream lol but hopefully once I install my headers on Wednesday it will deepen the exhaust and quiet it, which is what I have heard it does.. Do you think I would need to notify bama about my short header addition or the tunes they sent me will be sufficient?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I would definitely tell them about it otherwise the tune will be off. Well you have to shift above 5 if you want to go fast lpl

Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well there you go.....problem #1 shifting at 5k.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would definitely tell them about it otherwise the tune will be off. Well you have to shift above 5 if you want to go fast lpl

Yea I meant cruisin speed wise lol I have these pype bombs and man they are insanely loud from 5k+ RPM's.. They really scream lol I am installing bbk short headers myself this wed.. And I've been told the note will deepen and hopefully tame the loudness with a deeper + consistent note..
Old 05-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
Yea I meant cruisin speed wise lol I have these pype bombs and man they are insanely loud from 5k+ RPM's.. They really scream lol I am installing bbk short headers myself this wed.. And I've been told the note will deepen and hopefully tame the loudness with a deeper + consistent note..

Dang mobile.. It said I didn't post anything before sorry guys.. This app acts weird some times
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well they will still be really loud lol.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly am contemplating taking them off.. It's not allowing me to enjoy my car in high revs :/
Old 05-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Every exhaust is going to be loud, honestly just put some resonators on there and it will quiet it down a lot. I have pypes and I love them but when I had long tubes I had to put resonators on them and it made it way more clean

Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Every exhaust is going to be loud, honestly just put some resonators on there and it will quiet it down a lot. I have pypes and I love them but when I had long tubes I had to put resonators on them and it made it way more clean

What set up you running? For me it's just more loud then carry a steady pitch but I do have the factory H so it still holds a good growl.. I am actually about to order the borla stingers.. Yay ?nay?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I did have long tubes catted x and pypes bomb with resonators sounded really good. Then I just did stock minus the pypes and still thought that sounded awesome. How long have you had them? Borlas are great just expensive for what they are and they are still loud. Also if you are looking at ordering any thing check out my shops website at lpfbuilt.com we have the most competitive prices around

Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did have long tubes catted x and pypes bomb with resonators sounded really good. Then I just did stock minus the pypes and still thought that sounded awesome. How long have you had them? Borlas are great just expensive for what they are and they are still loud. Also if you are looking at ordering any thing check out my shops website at lpfbuilt.com we have the most competitive prices around

I have had the pype bombs for roughly 9 months with 12k miles through them.. They were a lot louder in the beginning but with some miles have toned down a tad bit.. I love these axel backs but at certain RPM's I feel like it is so free flowing that at times it becomes distorted where it's less of a growl and more of a scream lol.. I love them at take off and when the acceleration is pressed.. But my car has felt a little sluggish ever since I installed them I don't know if it has to do with back pressure or what but I hope the stringers will help me out.

I will deff keep your shop in mind for my future purchase, I usually go with AM cause of our 6% discount. I've heard Borland are loud but that when cruising it holds a consistent tone/growl.. I'm pretty sure it's because my pypes have no muffs so they just throw uncontrolled air out but I think ima purchase later today
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

We also usually try to price match and we are in Texas so it would probably be faster for you lol. That's the main thing is there is no mufflers they essentially are just resonators. I like borla they are just expensive and I feel you can match tone with other exhaust set ups. But good luck and I'll keep checking up and see what you go with and what you get. Also if you want to sell your pypes I have a friend that wants some

Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We also usually try to price match and we are in Texas so it would probably be faster for you lol. That's the main thing is there is no mufflers they essentially are just resonators. I like borla they are just expensive and I feel you can match tone with other exhaust set ups. But good luck and I'll keep checking up and see what you go with and what you get. Also if you want to sell your pypes I have a friend that wants some

I saw your site and I did find the S-types but only for the 5.0.. I did see the drive shaft I'm thinking that's my next purchase for sure!! I think I am for sure gonna go with the S-type, my friend from STMC (south texas mustang club) brought his ride by with the same set up and it sounded very good! Think I'm in love lol

As for the pype bombs I wouldn't mind getting rid of them but when installing my mechanic ran into trouble taking off stock so he cut my pipe and welded on the pype bombs.. He did it for free so I couldn't complain lol would that matter? And what would be a good figure to ask if they have 10k miles through them and will need to be cut off?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

This might be a dumb question but if I throw my car in s mode and floor it will it shift automatically if I don't hit the button? (I have a bama tune)
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2329 View Post
This might be a dumb question but if I throw my car in s mode and floor it will it shift automatically if I don't hit the button? (I have a bama tune)
Yes. It will hang in the higher RPM'S before shifting, and won't be as quick as the shifting in D when flooring it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Yes. It will hang in the higher RPM'S before shifting, and won't be as quick as the shifting in D when flooring it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So the only cool thing out of this is getting tire chirping
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2329 View Post

Not a dumb question I had the same question when I got tuned lol

If you put the car in "S" sports mode and "do not" touch the +- , your car will automatically shift for you.. It will only use gears 1-5... If you touch the "+-" you will be able to cycle brought gears 1-6.. The car will not let you shift into any gear that can harm your engine.. So have fun with it oh and you don't need to shift down when shifting the car will auto down shift for you. If your coming to a stop sign from 4th gear and up it will auto shift to 1 if you come to a stop from gears 2-3 you will need to shift back down to 1 yourself
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'll check out the site I know we can get them guess they just aren't on there yet. I sold mine for like 150, it's hard to get money back for exhaust. But it's up to you. I was debating the borlas too they sound good. But if you need anything just let me know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang