Powder Coating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Powder Coating

So the Plastidip on my rims are annoying to the point I've been shopping new wheels. With me having a baby on the way I will probably never find something I actual like for an affordable price. I got a buddy that will powder coat them black for $75 a rim which I can easily afford. My question is how reliable is powder coating. I figure who does it and how many coats they use make a difference, but out side of that I'm clueless to the reliability of it. Can anyone with who has experience let me know something about it and if $75 a rim is a good price for it
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
75 is a really good price and it's extremely durable. 90% of the rims on the market are actually powder coated from the factory. It doesn't ever really scratch or wear either

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Paid $40 per rim for gloss black for mine, which I promptly jumped on. I'd say $75-$100 is the norm. from when I was searching for someone to do them.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Whats wrong with the plasti dip? Another free solution would be just to remove the plasti dip. And what kind of rims do you have now? I would say $75 a rim isn't a bad price but another option would be to keep an eye out on Craigslist or local forums for used sets. I've seen a few brembo rim sets with good tires for 650-750 that I was just too late getting to and they were already sold. But honestly for 700 and you sell your stockers you wont have much more invested in them then the powder coating.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just scared to pay out a lot upfront with out a guarantee of my stock wheels selling. I have the gray and silver premium wheels. Just taking the Plastidip off is not and option with my black on white look for my mustang.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
What is wrong with plasti dip ? I just ordered plasti dip and paid 40 for 4 cans... plan on doing it on my mustang.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing at all. There is maintenance issue meaning over time it will need to be touch up or redone. All because of the texture, it sucks up brake dust and grime. Making cleaning annoying at time. If I powder coat gloss back then it's a lot easier to maintain and it will give me the look I really want. For me Plastidip was always a temporary fix to what I want my permanent solution to be. Unfortunately buying rims is completely out now that I have a baby on the way. But a $300 job to powder coat them is doable.

This is just my opinion. Some people swear by it. Also check your local store like lowes, Walmart, etc. some sale Plastidip for about $6 a can, so next time around you may be able to get it cheaper
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Nothing at all. There is maintenance issue meaning over time it will need to be touch up or redone. All because of the texture, it sucks up brake dust and grime. Making cleaning annoying at time. If I powder coat gloss back then it's a lot easier to maintain and it will give me the look I really want. For me Plastidip was always a temporary fix to what I want my permanent solution to be. Unfortunately buying rims is completely out now that I have a baby on the way. But a $300 job to powder coat them is doable.

This is just my opinion. Some people swear by it. Also check your local store like lowes, Walmart, etc. some sale Plastidip for about $6 a can, so next time around you may be able to get it cheaper
I canceled my order and got it done today. I love it !

I made a before and after pics thread... i love it so far!
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t354308/

I had a guy that was willing to powder coat my rims for 275 but honestly i am not sure i like my rims enough to pay that price so i was extremely happy to plasti dip my wheels for $25 bucks. It improved my wheels appearance by alot i think and gave me some time to save up for wheels that i really want to buy.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang