Just got a citation for "altered exhaust system" - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Emissions laws are federal. And it can be serious. Also note court costs when moving forward.

It's funny in some jurisdictions they are not cities. So paying a fine just clears it, no points, no anything but cash. If one fights it, there is a risk of having to pay for it, court costs, and whatever else.

Its always funny when someone fights a $150 ticket to get court costs, lose and pay the fine, then get points on their license. Not you, but other people lol

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Man altered exhaust is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of what if you have an older car and all there is is aftermarket exhaust to replace your broken exhaust? Ok if it's too loud then yeah maybe you'd get a ticket but simply just changing it?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just be thankfully he did not get you for no Cats or other than OEM like my friend got
Quote:
Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.
With up to a $25,000 dollar fine I will keep my stock Cats, another 5 HP is not worth it to me.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If it's just a $95 fine pay it and move on. Cats do a lot to make an exhaust quieter and mellower sounding. I'm surprised at how many catless components are sold for (formerly) street legal cars, it's a pretty serious offense in some areas.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
U could just keep ur x pipe and buy like some magnaflow cats. And then if I were u I would put ur stock back on or get some gt500s

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I recently put on the borla S type Catbacks and i couldn't be happier. I drive a stick shift as well so its even funner
Ddemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
You really don't know how lucky you were.

Here in Florida they can impound your car if the cat's are removed. Any car 72 and later are reqquired to have cataletic converters. They are not to be altered or removed under any circunstances.
That cop probably already knew you had removed the cat's and gave you a break. He could have done a smog check and visual and you would not have a Mustang.
You live in Florida and you know that they don't have inspections and the cop that stops you can inspect your car. Just get some hi flow cats on that car and stingers or tourings and stay away from the ataks. All three Borla mufflers flow the same even though the touring and stingers are not as raspy and loud.
A lot of Harley oweners use Drag pipes and just pay the ticket when they get them. I know, I'm one of them.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
One of the few times I'm glad I live in Oklahoma.... No inspections and as long as you aren't revving your engine like an *** the cops don't batt an eye. I've had one give me the thumbs up

I'm running a similar setup, all except the X-Pipe. I went with the Catted X pipe because as it's been pointed out, the setup is LOUD. With the catted it really only gets raspy for me at WOT. The rest of the time it's just moderately loud and rumbles/growls.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

So it turns out I have to get my car check out by the department of Highway safety motor vehicles, looks like I'm buying a catted xpipe! Lol
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It stinks to be singled out...now everytime you hear a car or bike with as loud or louder exhaust than yours was during the stop, you're going to be even more pissed. And the problem could continue. That same officer could pull you again for the same issue if it's not resolved. This happened to my son, who was stopped twice in three months by the same cop, near the same area of road he drove on his way home. With the second ticket, he requested a court date. He arrived, expained to the traffic judge what was going on (he told the judge he felt he was being "targeted"). The judge had a private sidebar talk with the officer, then told my son the second ticket was being dropped.

He has not had an issue with that officer since, and sees him often parked on the side of the same stretch of road.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLV6 View Post
So it turns out I have to get my car check out by the department of Highway safety motor vehicles, looks like I'm buying a catted xpipe! Lol
No Biggie, once you have that installed you will officially have a "Street Car" again, not an off road race car. You might even like the sound better.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I have catless H pipe and muffler deletes in Florida. Maybe the guys wife pissed him off that morning? I didnt even think it was an issue here?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust