Just got a citation for "altered exhaust system" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just got a citation for "altered exhaust system"

I was just driving home from work when I noticed a cop was behind me, but whatever didn't do anything wrong, so I just continue to drive normally. After about 2 miles of this cop riding my a$$, he decides to turn on the lights. He walks up to my window and tells me he pulled me over for my "ridiculous exhaust." Meanwhile, the whole time, I'm driving in light traffic, not even going over 3k rpms. I understand in Florida its illegal to "alter exhaust", but there are vehicles that come from the factory 10 times as loud as my car, to me that seems just stupid. Sorry that I'm venting on here, I just think overall that this law is ridiculous, like my exhaust apparently.
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That sucks. Just curious, what exhaust set up do you have?
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

bbk long tubes, off road x pipe, with pypes mid muffler catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLV6 View Post

Is it a fixit ticket or do you have to swap all the parts again?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
They got a friend of mine in North Carolina with headers, highflow cats and true duals on his F150, still had to pay $1500 after he put it back to stock, hate to see what it is with no cats.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

And you don't think that exhaust might be just a little loud?? Here in Cali you do things like long tubes and removing cats, you could face some hefty fines.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
And you don't think that exhaust might be just a little loud?? Here in Cali you do things like long tubes and removing cats, you could face some hefty fines.

Well I didn't get a citation for my exhaust being too loud. I got a citation for simply "altering my exhaust"
Old 05-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well I didn't get a citation for my exhaust being too loud. I got a citation for simply "altering my exhaust"
Yeah but the only way he knew it was altered is because he heard it. He couldn't tell just by looking.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah but the only way he knew it was altered is because he heard it. He couldn't tell just by looking.

Well that's why I'm mad. People can ride around on their loud Harley's (not hating on Harley's or anything) and not get this same citation as I did just because it's not altered
Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post

I guess it's just a fixit ticket, I have to pay 95 bucks
Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well that's why I'm mad. People can ride around on their loud Harley's (not hating on Harley's or anything) and not get this same citation as I did just because it's not altered
I hate that too. Some of the Harley's around where I live are so loud they make your wars ring.

Hope all goes well for you.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have a Harley with louder aftermarket exhaust (V&H 2into1), but I keep the baffle in it, to not piss off the neighbors.

Harleys are actually very quite with the stock exhaust....believe it or not. They are 50 state compliant from the factory. Any Harley you hear that is obnoxiously loud is because the owner has baffleless pipes, and they are subject to the same laws as your car.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I put a straight pipe on my wifes Suzuki, and its louder than my Harley.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefx View Post
I have a Harley with louder aftermarket exhaust (V&H 2into1), but I keep the baffle in it, to not piss off the neighbors.

Harleys are actually very quite with the stock exhaust....believe it or not. They are 50 state compliant from the factory. Any Harley you hear that is obnoxiously loud is because the owner has baffleless pipes, and they are subject to the same laws as your car.

Again sorry if I came off like I'm hating Harley's, I wasn't, just using them as an example, but I guess my example wasn't that good lol
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Harley is official against loud pipes. any pipe alteration requires an aftermarket tuner to calibrate a/f ratio and a new o2 sensor, by design.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Its cool, as a Harley dude, even I dont like straight pipes.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
He could tell by looking. The Pypes mid muffler puts the muffler just behind the midpipe so there are no mufflers at the rear bumper like oem exhaust. He may have heard the exhaust first, then noticed the lack of mufflers inside the rear bumper.

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Swap out to GT500's and you will be golden.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I was just driving home from work when I noticed a cop was behind me, but whatever didn't do anything wrong, so I just continue to drive normally. After about 2 miles of this cop riding my a$$, he decides to turn on the lights. He walks up to my window and tells me he pulled me over for my "ridiculous exhaust." Meanwhile, the whole time, I'm driving in light traffic, not even going over 3k rpms. I understand in Florida its illegal to "alter exhaust", but there are vehicles that come from the factory 10 times as loud as my car, to me that seems just stupid. Sorry that I'm venting on here, I just think overall that this law is ridiculous, like my exhaust apparently.
Looks like it wasn't so cheap to not put on CATS on. By the way, this will be in the system, so if you get pulled over again for anything, they will likely check your exhaust set-up.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Looks like it wasn't so cheap to not put on CATS on. By the way, this will be in the system, so if you get pulled over again for anything, they will likely check your exhaust set-up.

I don't think having cats would have helped this situation. Sure it would have toned down my exhaust, but it probably would still be loud enough for that cop to pull me over.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No offense but I've heard your set up in person and it is the most ridiculously loud and raspy set up ever.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I would recommend that if you have the option in your state, that you fight the ticket. If you show up to court and the cop doesn't, you will automatically win (unless the judge doesn't care about the law). You will want to do a discovery request to obtain all of the evidence the officer has against you (usually consists of the ticket and the notes on the back of the ticket). You may even be able to obtain the officer's work schedule through discovery, which will benefit you so you can schedule your court date for a day he is not working (if you cannot obtain this through discovery, you can usually find out by calling the station where the officer works to find out if he is going on vacation). I think there is a good opportunity you can beat this if you use the right defense even if the officer does show up. Worst that can happen is you lose, wasting 20 minutes of your time, and you are no worse for the wear.
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Dude, lol your lucky its only 95$. LTS off road x and pypes, ugh yeah even under 3k you can obviously tell its not stock, your lucky you didn't get hit with a huge fine because your cattless. Straight through "mufflers," cattless x, and altering the OEM exhaust.....could have been a lot worse, just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
No offense but I've heard your set up in person and it is the most ridiculously loud and raspy set up ever.
+1, Roush is a close second, with that set up its a ridiculously raspy mess.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ok ok ok you guys are right, I was just mad that I got the citation and I was venting. If I were you put on a catted x pipe, which I am really considering now, how much power do I lose to it and how much will it quite up my exhaust?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, Roush is a close second, with that set up its a ridiculously raspy mess.

Lol you are so right about that. The roush sounds like your racing when your just trying to park in a parking lot lol I was so particular about what exhaust I wanted It took me 3 years to finally pull the trigger on some borla s types. Shipping is due this Monday!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You won't lose that much going to a catted x like bbk, "high flow catts" but its still going to be ridiculously loud as long as you have pypes. You'll need an actual "muffler" that will help balance your set up, you can add resonators to the exhaust line but it still might not be enough or to your liking. I have Roush and was going to go LTS with a catted x but it really sounds like **** IMO at any RPMS, so I went with shorties and kept my stock x/h pipe. If you want to keep your LTS and cattless x, the pypes have to go in favour of a much quieter muffler. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I was actually considering switching to borla ataks because I've had to replace 2 mufflers already the pypes catback
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah I would try and fight the ticket
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The ataks sound great by them selves, but with your set up I'd consider the touring or stingers. There is a member here that has LTS cattless x and tourings and it sounded fantastic IMO. It all comes down to balance. Ataks are loud on there own with the OEM exhaust, but become ridiculously loud when combined with LTS and cattless x.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The ataks sound great by them selves, but with your set up I'd consider the touring or stingers. There is a member here that has LTS cattless x and tourings and it sounded fantastic IMO. It all comes down to balance. Ataks are loud on there own with the OEM exhaust, but become ridiculously loud when combined with LTS and cattless x.

+1 also borla s types + shorties with h pipe or high flow catted h sounds amazing!!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

How do you think my bbk long tubes with catted x pipe and s types sound. I was actually considering an h pipe. How would a catted h pipe sound with long tubes?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Lol you are so right about that. The roush sounds like your racing when your just trying to park in a parking lot lol I was so particular about what exhaust I wanted It took me 3 years to finally pull the trigger on some borla s types. Shipping is due this Monday!
Lol, +1 on the Roush. IMO you did it the absolute right way, waiting and researching to find exactly sound your looking for.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How do you think my bbk long tubes with catted x pipe and s types sound. I was actually considering an h pipe. How would a catted h pipe sound with long tubes?

Like fastford said your setup with tourings sounded good. S types are a little louder so it could be more raspy. But personally the sound I want to go for is achieved with shorties and generally not an off road pipe due to o/r being too damn loud.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your fine with your cattless x (legality) the s type or touring will absolutely help balance your set up. You tube will give you a good idea of the volume and tone it will produce to see if you like it. But IMO you'll need some sort of quieter AB to help your set up. Its just choosing the one you like.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust