Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button?

Do we have an overdrive feature or not. I have a hill assist button but it doesn't say overdrive and it lights up yellow with a car going down. I do notice that when I turn on the hill assist button my rpm's raise just like when one would turn off the overdrive. It seems that my pony has a bit more acceleration power when i hit the hill assist button on since the rpm's get raised but maybe its just me.

Is the hill assist button the same as overdrive if so wouldn't it make sense to turn on the hill assist button when at the track or trying to pass another vehicle for faster acceleration?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendora California
Region: California
Posts: 519
It just locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in autos. It also will downshift for engine breaking sometimes
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
It just locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in autos. It also will downshift for engine breaking sometimes
So, is it safe to say that's really what overdrive does when you turn it off. Locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in my auto. So for quicker pick up one would really want to turn on the hill assist button when shooting off the line so it holds the gear a bit longer.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendora California
Region: California
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So, is it safe to say that's really what overdrive does when you turn it off. Locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in my auto. So for quicker pick up one would really want to turn on the hill assist button when shooting off the line so it holds the gear a bit longer.

Sent from my little Johnson.

If your shooting off the line that implies that your smashing the gas. If so it would hold the gear all the way out to red line anyways. It's just a hill assist button but I guess in city driving if you wanted it to hold each gear a little longer use it
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
If your shooting off the line that implies that your smashing the gas. If so it would hold the gear all the way out to red line anyways. It's just a hill assist button but I guess in city driving if you wanted it to hold each gear a little longer use it
Lol. Thanks bro

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button?

I actually put mine (2012) in hill assist every time I get in the car and turn it off once traveling around 50 or higher for an extended period of time, like out in the country or on the highway. For an untuned car, it just feels a little better the way it holds the RPMs a little longer and downshifts automatically when slowing down.
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I actually put mine (2012) in hill assist every time I get in the car and turn it off once traveling around 50 or higher for an extended period of time, like out in the country or on the highway. For an untuned car, it just feels a little better the way it holds the RPMs a little longer and downshifts automatically when slowing down.
I notice if I'm on the highway and turn hill assist mode on, I watch the rpm's jump up and when I nail it, the car feels to accelerate a bit quicker even with my car tuned.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
When you are in D you are in Overdrive. Meaning you have less engine breaking effect and 6th gear. When Hill assist is on Overdrive is off thus more engine breaking and the gears hold longer when not pedal to the metal and 6th gear is locked out. Hill Assist on 11/12 is similar to Sport a Mode on the 13/14 without using the +\- button to shift yourself. Around town use Hill Assist and the car will have better response.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
When you are in D you are in Overdrive. Meaning you have less engine breaking effect and 6th gear. When Hill assist is on Overdrive is off thus more engine breaking and the gears hold longer when not pedal to the metal and 6th gear is locked out. Hill Assist on 11/12 is similar to Sport a Mode on the 13/14 without using the +\- button to shift yourself. Around town use Hill Assist and the car will have better response.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but didn't realize it was like sport mode on the 13-14's but it makes sense.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning of Overdrive, does it go into “Performance Mode”? Renegade 800 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 13 06-27-2008 06:58 PM
overdrive Mustang GT HO 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 05-05-2008 12:19 AM
Using OVERDRIVE jaredp Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 01-27-2007 01:36 PM
Overdrive question didnt know where to put this 95 DrOpToP Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 02-08-2005 09:36 PM
Question about Overdrive light Twitch Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 02-11-2004 05:05 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:29 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.