Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button?

Do we have an overdrive feature or not. I have a hill assist button but it doesn't say overdrive and it lights up yellow with a car going down. I do notice that when I turn on the hill assist button my rpm's raise just like when one would turn off the overdrive. It seems that my pony has a bit more acceleration power when i hit the hill assist button on since the rpm's get raised but maybe its just me.

Is the hill assist button the same as overdrive if so wouldn't it make sense to turn on the hill assist button when at the track or trying to pass another vehicle for faster acceleration?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It just locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in autos. It also will downshift for engine breaking sometimes
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
It just locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in autos. It also will downshift for engine breaking sometimes
So, is it safe to say that's really what overdrive does when you turn it off. Locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in my auto. So for quicker pick up one would really want to turn on the hill assist button when shooting off the line so it holds the gear a bit longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So, is it safe to say that's really what overdrive does when you turn it off. Locks out 6th gear and holds each gear a little longer in my auto. So for quicker pick up one would really want to turn on the hill assist button when shooting off the line so it holds the gear a bit longer.

If your shooting off the line that implies that your smashing the gas. If so it would hold the gear all the way out to red line anyways. It's just a hill assist button but I guess in city driving if you wanted it to hold each gear a little longer use it
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
If your shooting off the line that implies that your smashing the gas. If so it would hold the gear all the way out to red line anyways. It's just a hill assist button but I guess in city driving if you wanted it to hold each gear a little longer use it
Lol. Thanks bro

Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Do the 2011 3.7's have an Overdrive button?

I actually put mine (2012) in hill assist every time I get in the car and turn it off once traveling around 50 or higher for an extended period of time, like out in the country or on the highway. For an untuned car, it just feels a little better the way it holds the RPMs a little longer and downshifts automatically when slowing down.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I actually put mine (2012) in hill assist every time I get in the car and turn it off once traveling around 50 or higher for an extended period of time, like out in the country or on the highway. For an untuned car, it just feels a little better the way it holds the RPMs a little longer and downshifts automatically when slowing down.
I notice if I'm on the highway and turn hill assist mode on, I watch the rpm's jump up and when I nail it, the car feels to accelerate a bit quicker even with my car tuned.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When you are in D you are in Overdrive. Meaning you have less engine breaking effect and 6th gear. When Hill assist is on Overdrive is off thus more engine breaking and the gears hold longer when not pedal to the metal and 6th gear is locked out. Hill Assist on 11/12 is similar to Sport a Mode on the 13/14 without using the +\- button to shift yourself. Around town use Hill Assist and the car will have better response.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
When you are in D you are in Overdrive. Meaning you have less engine breaking effect and 6th gear. When Hill assist is on Overdrive is off thus more engine breaking and the gears hold longer when not pedal to the metal and 6th gear is locked out. Hill Assist on 11/12 is similar to Sport a Mode on the 13/14 without using the +\- button to shift yourself. Around town use Hill Assist and the car will have better response.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but didn't realize it was like sport mode on the 13-14's but it makes sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang